Skrtel

Aribo clearly improves the 1st team and that quote is from when the Bosman signings were already known about.
Yeah, hes the only one who has improved the 11.

Only Jones was signed, but not really the point.

Of course not, nobody is going to get them all right but our success rate over the past 3 years has been verging on as bad as it can get when the money we have lost/wasted is factored in. It can’t get much worse.

Like I said, the wage/squad management has been a joke. Allen & the board have overseen a lot of this.

Is this why we’re not spending money this summer? Maybe.

We've closed the gap significantly so our transfer dealings obviously haven't been as bad as you make out. We've made a few howlers, but we must have signed about 50 players since Warburton brought us up, it's literally impossible to have that high a turnover and not have a lot of duds in there. The unfortunate thing for us is a lot of our duds have been guys we have spent decent money and/or wages on. That's been the killer.

Of course not, nobody is going to get them all right but our success rate over the past 3 years has been verging on as bad as it can get when the money we have lost/wasted is factored in. It can’t get much worse.

Like I said, the wage/squad management has been a joke. Allen & the board have overseen a lot of this.

Is this why we’re not spending money this summer? Maybe.

Possibly but you could argue that for a club in our position, all the value is in the free transfers and/or cross border U23 Bosmans such as Aribo and Windass.

I was in Istanbul back in February for a match.

Was chatting some Fener fans and they said he was great at the start, but clearly passed it now.

Elmas is their wonderkid, who they raved about but plays in a position we are well covered.

I will give you another 2 words, David Weir.

Skrtel was a very good player on his day and I am sure he will still be more than good enough for Scottish football.

Fair point. I would say however that Weir had the advantage of being Scottish and understanding what we are about. I liked Skrtel when he was at his peak (like Alves) but just feel his time has passed for what we need and spending large sums of money on wages could be better utilised elswhere.

It is possible things change after people say things.

it isn't inconceivable Gerrard didn't think he would get Kent back, Morelos might go and he wouldn't get Aribo at the time he spoke about improving the first 11 - it isn't unthinkable he has seen something in Jones that will see him start more often than Candieas.

Aribo clearly improves the 1st team and that quote is from when the Bosman signings were already known about.

In Aribo we have a player who now improves the first team . Delighted with this signing .

I’d like a couple more of that Ilk . A centre half, a left back and a striker please without being greedy .

Gerrard trained and played with him for years if anybody is gonna know if he's good enough an option for us it will be Gerrard

But we wouldn't be getting the Skrtl he played with. We would be getting a guy about 5 years older and close to retirement.

Correct with Goldson, Katic, Arfield, Defoe, Kamara?

Absolutely. I didn't say he made mistakes with anyone other than the ones I mentioned. Not sure what you are getting at. SG stated he made mistakes. My opinion is Skrtl would be a mistake. To draw any other inference from that is on you. I'm not having a go at SG.

I said on another thread about Skrtl that he is a penalty waiting to happen in Scotland. His use of his arms at corners and crosses into the box will be manna from heaven to the cheats in the Scottish game and the officials will be salivating at the chance to book and red card him.

It's a no from me.

I am now really intrigued into where this came from.

Brown Brogues on here implied that we were after a renowned high wage defender who would be free of contract. Folk guessed it may be Skrtel. Then the record ran the story with loose corroboration from his agent (who might just have got a question from the record and answered vaguely to drum up interest in his client).

Did the record just lift the story from the very vaguest of rumours on here?

Or did the record and brown brogues hear about this independently? If the latter that sounds to me like someone from the club spreading deliberate misinformation. Wonder why?

If it's a pay as you play,then maybe,but will he be able to adapt to the pace of Celtic for example. Gut feeling is I hope it's gossip and no truth in it and would be happy with Goldson and Katic.

Never understand why people suggest this, as if it's an actual thing someone would do.

Fair point. I would say however that Weir had the advantage of being Scottish and understanding what we are about. I liked Skrtel when he was at his peak (like Alves) but just feel his time has passed for what we need and spending large sums of money on wages could be better utilised elswhere.

Clint Hill?

Yeah. Been thinking about that this morning. Folk on here have been saying “quality will come”, “its early days” etc but Gerrard said yesterday he’d be happy to go with what we’ve got.

In the starting 11, Aribo is most likely an improvement on Jack. Case can be argued for being weaker at LW & CB (depending on who the we sign for there).

All a bit odd considering Gerrard wanted quality to take the team up a level, and his first target was a very decent Ligue 1 centre half. Thats not happened for some reaason.
But we are not weaker at LW. We now have Murphy and Jones. Murphy will deliver as many assists and goals that Kent delivered...if not more. We have Ojo and Hastie to compete on the right. Aribo to add to a.midfoeld that found something late on. Stewart will add somethong. Defence, LB in particular need attention.
For me we have improved.put options therefore we have a stronger and improved squad/team . A squad that can maybe cope better with Europe and domestic.

I am now really intrigued into where this came from.

Brown Brogues on here implied that we were after a renowned high wage defender who would be free of contract. Folk guessed it may be Skrtel. Then the record ran the story with loose corroboration from his agent (who might just have got a question from the record and answered vaguely to drum up interest in his client).

Did the record just lift the story from the very vaguest of rumours on here?

Or did the record and brown brogues hear about this independently? If the latter that sounds to me like someone from the club spreading deliberate misinformation. Wonder why?

Keep it up and you’ll be subpoenaed to appear in front of congress.
No one on here knows who and for how much and what role they’d play if it’s true or not.
Whatever happens I trust our board and coaching staff 100 % to do or at least try to do the right thing for Rangers.

Keep it up and you’ll be subpoenaed to appear in front of congress.
No one on here knows who and for how much and what role they’d play if it’s true or not.
Whatever happens I trust our board and coaching staff 100 % to do or at least try to do the right thing for Rangers.

Yeah. I totally trust the board on this. Was more wondering why it was done out of interest. And in hopes it was distracting from our real target, whoever that may be :)

Happy at that as he's finished.

What the thread did show though is that there are many who will simply back up anything the club does (or is falsely rumoured to be doing in this case) whether it's a bad move or not.

It’s Gerrard, Allen and the board that decides if something like this is a bad move or not for Rangers. Certainly not anyone on here. That said they did bring in Lafferty and Grezda which have been classic fails. And yes I will back these guys over anyone on here even if I personally didn’t think Lafferty, Jones or Stewart should be brought on board. All about opinions as they say though bud.

Skrtel might not be the best idea but comparing him to Senderos screams of knowing absolutely nothing about football. Senderos was a chancer throughout his career.

Back