Skrtel

Skrtel at his best was one of the best in Europe. Nae idea what he is like now

This supposed 'one of the best in Europe' (your words) didn't do too much for Liverpool with regards to winning trophies did he?

Better than that fud Senderos, but I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole.
I'd have a 40 year old Skrtel over Souttar.

Souttar is pish.

And therein lies our problem.

We simply must get out of this vicious cycle whereby we're trying to recycle a season or two out of players who are well past their 'Best By' date.

If the manager thinks he can do us a job at our level for a couple of years then fair enough, but not if he's going to bust the wages bank.

Difference is prob about £35k week

A lot or folk completely losing the plot over speculation that may have no substance, and wage demands that no one knows.

He might want to wind down his career?
Money may not be his priority?
We need a 4th centre half, for exactly what McAuley gave us, peace of mind in case of an Injury crisis.
Maybe Skrtel want to start on his coaching badges and wind down, or win a league title.
The truth is, no one knows bar the man himself, so lets see how it all works out.

Its not the hustle and bustle I'd be worried about with him,

its nippy strikers/wingers pinging it round him with ease and outpacing him
You aren’t wrong. His radar is similar to Alves. This was him in season 17/18 (even worse this year according to reports),

Punt the ball to his head and he’ll win it. Other than that he is useless.

The most dribbled past CB in Super Lig.
Ddpf7b8V0AAgv3b

Its not the hustle and bustle I'd be worried about with him,

its nippy strikers/wingers pinging it round him with ease and outpacing him

For as mad and physical as some labelled him, at times he was poor in the air when defending. He was also prone to lapses in concentration, errors and giving away stupid fouls. He's never been blessed with pace or mobility.

It's all very well being good in the dressing room and a leader but when your best days are behind you and off the back of a couple of poor seasons, it's time to walk away.

I was hoping for a centre back with a bit of quality to come into the first team.

We simply must get out of this vicious cycle whereby we're trying to recycle a season or two out of players who are well past their 'Best By' date.
Who do you want then as an emergency centre back?
An 18 year old kid? Who is then not out getting experience elsewhere?
You can only play 2*, you want to keep that area consistent, you have a third to challenge but there is always one unhappy, and if you have an injury crisis you need that 4th.
What better than giving an old head a nominal wage and the chance to learn a bit about the coaching side of the game?

Breaking the bank or signing them to play every week isn't really a great strategy I don't think but no one from the club has mentioned this never mind given us that impression.

Who do you want then as an emergency centre back?
An 18 year old kid? Who is then not out getting experience elsewhere?
You can only play 2*, you want to keep that area consistent, you have a third to challenge but there is always one unhappy, and if you have an injury crisis you need that 4th.
What better than giving an old head a nominal wage and the chance to learn a bit about the coaching side of the game?

Breaking the bank or signing them to play every week isn't really a great strategy I don't think but no one from the club has mentioned this never mind given us that impression.

I agree with you that this is all speculation. But there is no way we are (hypothetically) signing Skrtel, and possibly making him the top earner at the club to have him as a 4th choice centre back. The notion that Skrtel would be happy to pick up a 'nominal wage' just won't fly.

BTW, I don't even know why I actually got roped into this 'Judge Dredd' to start with.

I'm not sure a 34 year-old Skrtl is a better option than either Goldson or Katic, but at the salary we’d likely be offering to attract him to Govan, is he really being lined up as cover?

Hopefully just paper talk.

Ask yourselves the question - Skrtel in the team do we lose the last minute goal to Motherwell from the cross and the 5 min from time equaliser against Hibs on Boxing Day

Could have made all the difference last year

Skrtel has a better pedigree than McAuley and he did us a job.

All depends on the terms of any deal.

I am willing to bet if we sign him he’s going to be a standout for us .

Is anyone else hearing anything or is it only Keith Jackson’s word we are in for him ?
I’ll take that bet.

£100 to Erskine that Skrtel is not a “standout” for us if we do sign him.

Ok your on get your cash ready .
Superb. The most dribbled past centre back in the Super Lig will have a nightmare in the fast paced, high intensity Scottish Premier.

When you get older you have to have good decision making & be intelligent. Skrtel has never been either of them. Rash as feck & made the most errors leading to goals in the Super Lig last year.

Pray it isn’t true, for our sake.

He is an improvement on big Mcauley 5 years younger an experienced head for the 3 other younger Center Backs to learn from i do not see him struggling for physicality and he is always a threat in the opposition box in saying that i have not seen him play much the last couple of years although i did see him have a mare in a game for Slovakia a wee while back if the terms are reasonable and the Manager and his staff think he can be a positive influence for us then i suppose we must trust there judgement .

Superb. The most dribbled past centre back in the Super Lig will have a nightmare in the fast paced, high intensity Scottish Premier.

When you get older you have to have good decision making & be intelligent. Skrtel has never been either of them. Rash as feck & made the most errors leading to goals in the Super Lig last year.

Got to agree with you here mate, he will flop if he signs and I hope it is nonsense.

I think he’ll be an excellent signing. Really don’t get the negativity at all. Completely different player from Alves.
Full trust in Stevie. Nobody knows him better than him. And I couldn’t care less about radars.

Scottish football is so full of outstanding dribblers :)

Skrtel is a good player and if we sign him my money will be safe if not it’s a fantastic cause so let’s just wait and see.

If anyone knows him inside out it’s our Manager.

I think he’ll be an excellent signing. Really don’t get the negativity at all. Completely different player from Alves.
Full trust in Stevie. Nobody knows him better than him. And I couldn’t care less about radars.

Who does he replace ?

Skrtel has a better pedigree than McAuley and he did us a job.

All depends on the terms of any deal.
If it's a pay as you play,then maybe,but will he be able to adapt to the pace of Celtic for example. Gut feeling is I hope it's gossip and no truth in it and would be happy with Goldson and Katic.

Im always a bit funny with players who are at this age and coming to the end of their careers. I think he was decent for liverpool back in the day scored a few beauties from corners which i dont think we do enough of. Reslly unsure about this one if its true

Back