Skrtel

He has impressed me and has potential to improve . A worthy investment in comparison to paying huge wages for a 34/35 yr old . Just my opinion , I’m nit saying Skrtel is a bad player as I’ve not seen him recently enough .

Katic is a far superior player to Souttar and the manager wants an experienced CB.

I would rather we signed someone in their late 20s first team ready but if the Management team want Skrtel then I am all for it.

What's the difference with this and McAuley?
A player at the end of his career, preparing for coaching and management, and about the club in case of emergency.

Skrtel isn’t coming here to be a 4th choice centre back.

Would be a colossal waste of money given what I expect he will want paid if that was the case.

Agreed. A 2 year deal for Skrtel on 25k a week is costing £2.5 million . Zero sell on value .

John Souttar we could buy for £1.75 million and pay him 8k a week . After 2 years same cost £2.5 million . But potentially sell on for big money .

I can’t understand how on any level option A is better .

Not every signing needs a financial return. Getting us results and helping us make money in Europe is a return as well.

We've no idea how Skrtel would do, but the same applies to Souttar. We have 2 young centre halves already, and Goldson is another who could be subject to bids that make us money in the near future. We're not lacking in that sense.

Katic is a far superior player to Souttar and the manager wants an experienced CB.

I would rather we signed someone in their late 20s first team ready but if the Management team want Skrtel then I am all for it.

Katic is first pick for me . I’m not comparing him to souttar .

I’m saying I’d rather invest in souttar than Skrtel .

Either this is a rehash of old news or it's happening. I think it's the latter. We apparently failed at the last minute last season due to the wages. The manager must seesomething in him and we need to trust his judgement.

Bruno Alves in his day was far superior to Skrtel. He was done when he signed for us though. Once you are done, you are done. We shouldn't be going near him

Anyone else think IF this is true that he will rock up thinking he is a superstar and will pish this league only to seriously underestimate it and make a complete James Hunt of it?
I hope I’m wrong.

Our manager knows him very well, so you'd hope there's a decent insight there into whether or not that would happen.

Jesus Christ, have I really seen people trying to compare him to Senderos and McAuley :D :D
Even worse you think mate? I agree.

Fenerbahce fans having a party now that they’ve finally got rid of him. Team that finished about 7 points off relegation.

Katic is first pick for me . I’m not comparing him to souttar .

I’m saying I’d rather invest in souttar than Skrtel .

I really like big Katic and think he can go and and be a fantastic defender for us,young and hungry and a wee bit raw,had a few dodgy games but overall his performances were better than worse.

He gets it here and has bought in,think he will be a rock for us in time.

For every Kranjcar and Alves, both of whom were in dreadful teams btw, there's a Davie Weir or Ugo Ehiogu.

You can't never sign any 'older' players again just because you've been stung in the past. You judge each on their merits.

We literally have 3 older players in the squad that the vast majority are delighted with (McGregor, Davis and Defoe).

Let's trust the managers judgement on this.

I'm all for this and willing to trust the management on this one. Skrtel is a no nonsense powerful defender and will deal with most things thrown at him in our league and he's vastly experienced hopefully he copes with the speed of our game and has the correct attitude if so then go for it.

Even worse you think mate? I agree.

Fenerbahce fans having a party now that they’ve finally got rid of him. Team that finished about 7 points off relegation.

In no way am I saying he’s good, I’ve never been a massive fan due to his grabbing in the box and diving in but he’s far better than those 2 are.

I get you like to go against the grain and be controversial but even you don’t think he’s worse than them two, stop attention seeking.

I'm all for this and willing to trust the management on this one. Skrtel is a no nonsense powerful defender and will deal with most things thrown at him in our league and he's vastly experienced hopefully he copes with the speed of our game and has the correct attitude if so then go for it.
“No nonsense”

%^*& off. :D

I haven't seen him play in years, however...

I can take this signing if he's the #4 CB

Katic and Goldson deserve to be first choice. Edmundson is that young CB who can start for x amount of time, maybe even push the first 2. Skrtel can be that emergency number 4 CB who is reliable but doesn't play all that often

Comes down to finance as well. I wouldn't want him on a decent wage.

Then again, maybe we should just trust Gerrard

Skrtel ain't coming to Rangers to sit on the bench and Rangers ain't paying a player a big signing on fee (as a Bosman) and a salary of upwards of £20k a week to sit on the bench.

Personally hope this is just paper talk, never liked Skrtel when he was at Liverpool. I have my reservations but I trust SG and if SG wants him then that will do for me

You got a direct line to Anne Budge have you?

The Sheep have just apparently knocked back 5 million for McKenna , No way Hearts are taking less than half of that for Souttar.

I have a contact at tynecastle but that’s by the by . Hearts won’t be receiving, nor requesting anywhere near £5 million for Souttar .

Would definitely not be in favour of this.
I was never his biggest fan in his heyday and this is not the way we should be utilising limited resources in my opinion.

We need to improve our consistency to win the title. To do that we need to improve our quality. We need to concede less goals.

If the boss reckons this signing will achieve that then we cannot really argue he knows the player much better than anyone on here does.

Who the fk watches turkish football enough to make an accurate judgement call on whether skrtel is done or not?
Few folk on here do, and commented last season. Sure there is a couple Turkish guys on here.

And Skrtel has had an even worse season this year, according to Fenerbahce fans.

Its hardly unsuprising that a rash, error prone defender gets worse with age. The guys that rely on intelligence etc like Weir are different.

Who the fk watches turkish football enough to make an accurate judgement call on whether skrtel is done or not?

Basically no one who has commented so far and I include myself in that. The theory seems to be, that Fenerbahce have been terrible based on league standing and that's all we need to know. Not factoring anything in other than that. No stats or any kind of analysis of Martin Skrtel. Some folk can't even be bothered to Google how Fenerbahce placed in the Turkish League last season.

That and some folk just never rated him I guess. An exercise in pure conjecture really.

The boss said he only wanted to bring improvements to what we had in squad last season.

Skrtel is a massive improvement on macaulay.

I watched the recent Slovakia v Scotland game and Skrtel strolled it.

McAully, Senderos, Alves, Hill, Weir, Ehiogu, Criberi, De Boer, Berg. Some work out and some don’t, but I trust the gaffer if he thinks this will be a good signing.

This.

In so many other threads people have stated "I trust the manager". It's strange that so many people think they know better than Allen/Gerrard with this one.

The boss said he only wanted to bring improvements to what we had in squad last season.

Skrtel is a massive improvement on macaulay.

I watched the recent Slovakia v Scotland game and Skrtel strolled it.

The worry is he’s not coming here to play second fiddle on the money he will be on .

He’s not replacing Macauley he’d be replacing Katic . Which isn’t fair .

I’m not getting into the whys and wherefores of this transfer (more accurately reputed transfer) but I will simply add this:

He’s an absolutely superb player to have around a changing room. He’s dedicated, an unparalleled trainer, he’s a leader in a dressing room (by deeds over word) and he’d literally run through walls (and did) for Steven Gerrard.

The ‘he’s shite’ mob would do well to consider how much benefit that can bring to two young CBs and a third more advanced in years but relatively inexperienced at the top levels.

That’s all I’ll say for now.

The worry is he’s not coming here to play second fiddle on the money he will be on .

He’s not replacing Macauley he’d be replacing Katic . Which isn’t fair .

If the management team think that’s best for the team , Life isn’t fair , Katic is a good player but we still need to move up a level or 2 .

Ryan Kent was one of our players of the season and got ripped to shreds as a “failed Bristol City player” and “failed serial loanee”

Perhaps what Skrtel offers is more than initially meets the eye. We are not and have not continually taken the lazy option with signings so let’s not jump the gun.

This isn’t Warburton and TBITB getting all the old gang together ffs.

How predictable, this summers ageing, past his best player. Likes an error as well.

Other than Aribo (who's not been confirmed) and Edmundson, it's all been a bit predictable in the transfer window; Davis, Jones, Stewart, a Liverpool reserve...

Quality over quantity were the words. To date we have yet to improve the first 11 and we are nearing signing 6.

Given the last number of seasons, I'm not too sure Skrtel replaces Goldson or Katič in terms of quality. I don't see Sktrel, should he come to Rangers, being 3rd or 4th choice. You don't spend that sort of money on a substitute.

I’m not getting into the whys and wherefores of this transfer (more accurately reputed transfer) but I will simply add this:

He’s an absolutely superb player to have around a changing room. He’s dedicated, an unparalleled trainer, he’s a leader in a dressing room (by deeds over word) and he’d literally run through walls (and did) for Steven Gerrard.

The ‘he’s shite’ mob would do well to consider how much benefit that can bring to two young CBs and a third more advanced in years but relatively inexperienced at the top levels.

That’s all I’ll say for now.

With respect we’ve heard all this before “ think what he can bring to the changing room” etc .

For 25k a week I want an outstanding player on the pitch , not Bruce Lee at training .

I’m not saying he’s a bad player but is he better than Katic ? If not then there’s no point in signing him . No matter how good a trainer he is .

The amount of people saying “Gerrard knows him, that’s good enough for me..”

They would be taking the piss if it was Warburton.

Skrtel, Firth, Flanagan, Defoe, Ojo, Kent, Polster, Edmundson...Weird how nobody brings it up when it’s Gerrard.

Can’t believe people are mentioning Souttar over Skrtel. Stuff the sell on value we need to win the league. A team with Souttar in isn’t winning the league.

Refs all over the country will be practicing flashing their red cards at the breakfast table at the thought of him coming,

I just think we are going for the name and the reputation here and this has seriously stung us in the past.

Scottish football will eat you alive if physically and mentally your not up for the battle and all it entails. Reputations mean nothing, in fact the SPFL players relish the chance to chew big names up and spit them out.

Is this some kind of new catchphrase you have going on?

I think he’d be a good signing tbh.

A question for the folks who don’t think he would be, who would you rather we signed instead?

The fact we went for Mexer previously shows that Gerrard doesn’t agree with that assessment on Goldson and Katic, he obviously wants real experience in there.

I’m not saying I agree totally with that, but its pretty clear thats the managers thinking.
That's a fair point and I believe the competition is good for the squad. What I don't want is a guy who is on a downward trajectory that demands significant wages coming in. Mexer being only around 30 would have a lot more to offer us on lesser wages.

The only saving grace about this potential signing is, regardless of Gerrard's personal relationship you can only hope that due diligence will still have been done, and with Gerrard having seen what you s required in Scottish football thinks he is still good enough. Had it been past season I would have stood by my negativity and apprehension too old, too slow, poor reports from Turkey, based Bears, wage demands etc
This season...it has to be SG style, his philosophy, his players. He's earned that right!

I'd honestly walk away from this. Do we need him? How many Bartons, Senderos players are we going to try?

Back