Skrtel

Fenerbahce came 14th last year. My Turkish mate who supports them , was moaning on Monday about big name players on big wages who never showed up. He was talking about Van Persie mainly though. I will ask him how Skrtel did.

They finished 6th this season.

Robin Van Persie agreed to cancel his contract with Fenerbahce in January 2018 and returned to Feyenoord. He wasn't on their books this season at all...

Not a fan of this one. I feel he'd expect a starting slot, and for me we have our starting pair now. The Goldson/Katic partnership for me is strong enough to win us the league and I think any significant wages should be spent elsewhere with the 4th choice centre back being either one of the youth team, or another modestly paid pro.

Not a fan of this one. I feel he'd expect a starting slot, and for me we have our starting pair now. The Goldson/Katic partnership for me is strong enough to win us the league and I think any significant wages should be spent elsewhere with the 4th choice centre back being either one of the youth team, or another modestly paid pro.

The fact we went for Mexer previously shows that Gerrard doesn’t agree with that assessment on Goldson and Katic, he obviously wants real experience in there.

I’m not saying I agree totally with that, but its pretty clear thats the managers thinking.

They finished 6th this season.

Robin Van Persie agreed to cancel his contract with Fenerbahce in January 2018 and returned to Feyenoord. He wasn't on their books this season at all...

He definitely said 14th , 6th from bottom to me when I asked him when they started in the Champions League this year. Obviously a bit of an occasional armchair fan. He did surprise me last year when I asked about their result in the Champions League qualifiers and he wasn't aware that they had played.

We do need experienced back up, I don’t know if that’s Skrtel. Gerrard will know far better than me when it comes to him.

If he comes in and passes on his experience to Katic and Edmundson and makes them better players long term then even better.

He wouldn’t be first choice for me, that’s still Goldson and Katic

Oh quit worrying mate. Gerrard manages a real football team not a Nintendo one. If the rumors are true then I’m sure he and Allen have a viable plan in place for our central defenders and to not give in to one players perceived starting demands. He’d be our player not a loanee no matter what he’s paid so ....

I wish I shared your confidence mate with this signing……

Fenerbahce came 14th last year. My Turkish mate who supports them , was moaning on Monday about big name players on big wages who never showed up. He was talking about Van Persie mainly though. I will ask him how Skrtel did.

You’d struggle to be any less accurate there mate.

They finished 6th and Van Persie was at Feyenoord that's probably why he never turned up.

Hmmm not sure on this but IF true I’ll trust the Gaffers judgement,I would rather the wage was for a hungry young player etc,BUT a player like him won’t be bullied imo and would relish the physical side which we lacked at times.

Although I haven’t seen him play in a few years in fairness,let’s wait and see how this pans out,Weir strolled it his first few season mid to late 30’s at times.

We’ve got the best chance we’ll get to win the league and stop their dominance. Let’s not %^*& about with the likes of Skrtel who at the absolute best in his career was a bomb scare.
Surely he’d be a decent back up and no worse than McAuley was.

Hmmm not sure on this but IF true I’ll trust the Gaffers judgement,I would rather the wage was for a hungry young player etc,BUT a player like him won’t be bullied imo and would relish the physical side which we lacked at times.

Although I haven’t seen him play in a few years in fairness,let’s wait and see how this pans out,Weir strolled it his first few season mid to late 30’s at times.

Weir read the game to make interceptions, mark players etc .

Skrtel is a totally different centre half .

We’ve got the best chance we’ll get to win the league and stop their dominance. Let’s not %^*& about with the likes of Skrtel who at the absolute best in his career was a bomb scare.

I agree.

This has got another Senderos type signing written all over it.

Paying people like Skrtle, who will be on over 20k a week just isn’t on. It’s bad business.

Agreed. A 2 year deal for Skrtel on 25k a week is costing £2.5 million . Zero sell on value .

John Souttar we could buy for £1.75 million and pay him 8k a week . After 2 years same cost £2.5 million . But potentially sell on for big money .

I can’t understand how on any level option A is better .

Not for me I’m afraid (though if there is any substance to the rumour I retain my right to change my mind).

100% behind the manager on this one. We have just signed a very young defender in Edmundson. This could be a master stroke. Big difference between Skrtl and McAuley

I agree.

This has got another Senderos type signing written all over it.

Senderos had been in the wilderness for an age before signing for us. Skrtel has been playing regularly for an admittedly underwhelming Fenerbahce side.

Also on Senderos, a simple background check on him by Warburton and co would have uncovered that the man was a serial shitebag. Who was prone to nervousness before big games. The two are only really comparable in a sense that they aren't in their prime.

Agreed. A 2 year deal for Skrtel on 25k a week is costing £2.5 million . Zero sell on value .

John Souttar we could buy for £1.75 million and pay him 8k a week . After 2 years same cost £2.5 million . But potentially sell on for big money .

John Souttar is dung we have torn him to bits on numerous occasions.

Flip side is - if he signs does well and helps us win the league we have an experienced CD ready to lead the team back into the CL and the money is well spent.

Every single player there is out there is a gamble, even some recognized professionals can't hack it when they arrive at Ibrox and some cheap additions turn out to be great signings, we just have to trust the judgement of the manager.

McAully, Senderos, Alves, Hill, Weir, Ehiogu, Criberi, De Boer, Berg. Some work out and some don’t, but I trust the gaffer if he thinks this will be a good signing.

Would be happy if its a player/coach offer to pass experience and develop the younger players like Gerrard has done with the midfielders.

Weir read the game to make interceptions, mark players etc .

Skrtel is a totally different centre half .

Yeah I agree DW did make it look easy at times,but I think MS is a more attacking aggressive defender,maybe the Gaffer see’s us a bit weak in that dept.

Either way a player like MS won’t be bothered by the hammer throwers up here,he always looked game to me.

His ability to defend at a decent level I can’t comment on as haven’t seen him since in a few seasons.

This is a big mistake

Hopefully its BS. or if true, the medical flags up.

I’d be happy with this move if we had brought him in at the start of pre season. The likelihood is it’s going to be lengthy discussions and he joins missing the majority of the pre season. And he’s then just constantly on catch up fitness wise with the rest of the squad.

I would like to hope this is garbage.Big wages on him, even on a 2 year deal, would be a huge gamble.

I don’t know if this is more paper talk or not. No idea how he played last season either, never saw him once. But he had forty one appearances including Europa cup appearances and six international appearances too. Surely he can’t be as bad as some are making out on here.

He won’t be as bad as people on here are making out.

Just because they haven’t seen him play for the last couple of years that automatically makes him shite.

Folk even trying to compare this to Kranjcar or Alves are genuinely mental.

Were either of those players being linked with moves to Barcelona and Juventus six months before they joined us?

Thought not.
Alves had not long won the Euros, and actually was linked with Juve not long after he left us.

Skrtel is finished. Utterly shite.

If this happens its nothing but more money wasted on wages.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard hopes to finally land long term target Martin Skrtel after launching a third attempt to bring the Slovakian international to Ibrox.

Record Sport can reveal that Gerrard has held positive preliminary talks with the 34-year-old who is now a free gent after running down a huge contract worth in excess of £60k-a-week with Turkish big spenders Fenerbahce.

And sources in Bratislava last night confirmed that Skrtel is now set to travel to Glasgow to open contract discussions face-to-face with the club’s money men over the course of the ‘next few days’.

We first revealed more than a year ago that Gerrard had pin-pointed his former Liverpool team mate and close friend as a priority signing in the days leading up to his own appointment as the Rangers boss.

But the deal failed to get off the ground because the club could not get close to matching Skrtel’s massive wages in Istanbul or meeting Fenerbahce’s £5m price tag.

Gerrard tried again during the January transfer window when it appeared the Turks might have been willing to allow the defender to move on as a free agent.

But at that point Skrtel’s agent Karol Csonto admitted to Record Sport that his client was unwilling to swallow a wage cut of more than 50 per cent in order to push the deal through.

Now, though, with Skrtel out of contract and looking for a new challenge, Gerrard is determined not to lose out on his old pal for a third time.

And, perhaps crucially, this time the player himself looks set to answer the call from his former Anfield skipper.

A source in Slovakia said last night: “There have been some new conversations and we will see in the next few days if this deal can happen.”

Our source also confirmed that Skrtel has agreed to travel to Scotland in person in order to hold signing talks but it’s unclear if these discussions will be placed on hold until next week, after Gerrard and his squad have returned from their pre-season training camp in the Algarve.

Skrtel spent eight years as a team mate of Gerrard’s on Merseyside after joining the club in a £9.5m move from Zenit St Petersburg in January 2008.But the pair only won one trophy during that time, lifting the League Cup in 2012.

The hugely experienced defender has also clocked up 103 caps for Slovakia in an international career spanning 15 years.

Jackson hasn’t stolen my Skrtel research I posted Yesterday on the Transfer Thread and passed it off as his own or has he? from a Slovak source haha

Not for me, we have Katic and Goldson already, we have edmundson and mccrorie who can fill in if need be, maybe look at s cheaper option if we want one more centre half but 60k pw would be mental imo considering what we already have
McCrorie was ruled out as a centre back last season.
Things, and opinions, change of course.

Maybe SG has been told to stop 10 at any cost?

Anyway I’m not going to get worked up about a story printed in a Scottish rag.

Maybe SG has been told to stop 10 at any cost?

Anyway I’m not going to get worked up about a story printed in a Scottish rag.
That’s the whole answer to this.
They’re getting nothing from the club so have got to create “Slovakian sources”!
Almost definitely a pile of dung.

John Souttar is dung we have torn him to bits on numerous occasions.

He has impressed me and has potential to improve . A worthy investment in comparison to paying huge wages for a 34/35 yr old . Just my opinion , I’m nit saying Skrtel is a bad player as I’ve not seen him recently enough .

I said last time we were linked with him that he was absolutely sh*te. He had been done for a few years at that point & was god awful. He performed exactly in line with that in turkey.

Really hoping this is just paper talk / his agent trying his best to get his done player a final contract before retirement.

Anyone else think IF this is true that he will rock up thinking he is a superstar and will pish this league only to seriously underestimate it and make a complete James Hunt of it?
I hope I’m wrong.

100% agree with this ^^^^ I am sure the scouting team have done there homework if this is true. I have full faith in the gaffer and his team.
Agree

To many think they know about players ffs the gaffer is the man who knows what he is doing

A lot of the opinions are just mischief making by certain quarters

Back