Skrtel

Hank Hill

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard hopes to finally land long term target Martin Skrtel after launching a third attempt to bring the Slovakian international to Ibrox.

Record Sport can reveal that Gerrard has held positive preliminary talks with the 34-year-old who is now a free gent after running down a huge contract worth in excess of £60k-a-week with Turkish big spenders Fenerbahce.

And sources in Bratislava last night confirmed that Skrtel is now set to travel to Glasgow to open contract discussions face-to-face with the club’s money men over the course of the ‘next few days’.

We first revealed more than a year ago that Gerrard had pin-pointed his former Liverpool team mate and close friend as a priority signing in the days leading up to his own appointment as the Rangers boss.

But the deal failed to get off the ground because the club could not get close to matching Skrtel’s massive wages in Istanbul or meeting Fenerbahce’s £5m price tag.

Gerrard tried again during the January transfer window when it appeared the Turks might have been willing to allow the defender to move on as a free agent.

But at that point Skrtel’s agent Karol Csonto admitted to Record Sport that his client was unwilling to swallow a wage cut of more than 50 per cent in order to push the deal through.

Now, though, with Skrtel out of contract and looking for a new challenge, Gerrard is determined not to lose out on his old pal for a third time.

And, perhaps crucially, this time the player himself looks set to answer the call from his former Anfield skipper.

A source in Slovakia said last night: “There have been some new conversations and we will see in the next few days if this deal can happen.”

Our source also confirmed that Skrtel has agreed to travel to Scotland in person in order to hold signing talks but it’s unclear if these discussions will be placed on hold until next week, after Gerrard and his squad have returned from their pre-season training camp in the Algarve.

Skrtel spent eight years as a team mate of Gerrard’s on Merseyside after joining the club in a £9.5m move from Zenit St Petersburg in January 2008.But the pair only won one trophy during that time, lifting the League Cup in 2012.

The hugely experienced defender has also clocked up 103 caps for Slovakia in an international career spanning 15 years.

Obviously he knows the player well and perhaps thinks he can do a job for us. However, would he really be a good signing. It would be a big chance.

I just think we are going for the name and the reputation here and this has seriously stung us in the past.

Scottish football will eat you alive if physically and mentally your not up for the battle and all it entails. Reputations mean nothing, in fact the SPFL players relish the chance to chew big names up and spit them out.

SG was interviewed a few days ago and mentioned not repeating mistakes with transfers. Yet here we are.....hopefully it is just paper talk.

I genuinely have no idea how this would end up.

Could be a master stroke or a disaster.

I think Skrtel, in his prime, was a great defender. But his strength wasn’t reading a game which would stand him in good stead as the years go by. It was getting stuck in.

Not for me, we have Katic and Goldson already, we have edmundson and mccrorie who can fill in if need be, maybe look at s cheaper option if we want one more centre half but 60k pw would be mental imo considering what we already have

What's the difference with this and McAuley?
A player at the end of his career, preparing for coaching and management, and about the club in case of emergency.

A source in Slovakia said last night: “There have been some new conversations and we will see in the next few days if this deal can happen.”

Our source also confirmed that Skrtel has agreed to travel to Scotland in person in order to hold signing talks but it’s unclear if these discussions will be placed on hold until next week, after Gerrard and his squad have returned from their pre-season training camp in the Algarve.

100% chance the "source" is Skrtl's agent.

Think the refs up here would enjoy that. They'll have a field day with him. Minimum yellow every game he plays.

Not for me, we have Katic and Goldson already, we have edmundson and mccrorie who can fill in if need be, maybe look at s cheaper option if we want one more centre half but 60k pw would be mental imo considering what we already have
We don’t have an experienced CB. We need another CB. Edmundson is clearly one for the future.

What's the difference with this and McAuley?
A player at the end of his career, preparing for coaching and management, and about the club in case of emergency.

McAuley added nothing to us last season. Why on Earth do we keep pursuing those types of signings? At least McAuley wasn't asking for too much of a wage, which I expect Skrtel will.

If we want an experienced centre back we should be looking at guys aged between 28-32 who can still offer us a good few years.

No reason for us to be looking around at guys aged 34+ who are clearly past their best.

Very rarely do top teams other than us seem to have defenders of that age on their books & getting games.

This could go under either lazy scouting or the manager knowing and trusting a player. I’m more against the idea of Skrtel than for it I have to admit.

McAuley added nothing to us last season. Why on Earth do we keep pursuing those types of signings?

If we want an experienced centre back we should be looking at guys aged between 28-32 who can still offer us a good few years.

No reason for us to be looking around at guys aged 34+ who are clearly past their best.

Very rarely do top teams other than us seem to have defenders of that age on their books.
34 is not bad considering McAuley was 39 when he signed. You can’t compare both, Skrtel is a far better player.

Please no. If someone like Skrtel comes in and displaces Katic it would be very frustrating. He’s over the hill and would command a huge wage. Hope this is garbage.

Really not convinced by this in the slightest.

Hopefully this is just lifted wholesale off the hints on the thread on here and backed by an opportunistic agent and is complete rubbish.

I just think we are going for the name and the reputation here and this has seriously stung us in the past.

Scottish football will eat you alive if physically and mentally your not up for the battle and all it entails. Reputations mean nothing, in fact the SPFL players relish the chance to chew big names up and spit them out.
This is all spot on.
That said the one thing I don't believe he'd struggle with is the physicality of the game.
If there's any truth in it of course. His agent has got a lot of mileage out of using us before.

No issue but the wage has to reflect the role he'll have in the squad. Whether or not he'd accept such a huge drop or not we have no idea.

If I'm honest I suspect the daily record have just made this up though anyway.

The fact he seems more concerned about his wages should be enough for us to kncok him back. He wouldn't come last year because he wanted a big pay day, wouldn't come in January so he could still get the last 6bmonths of his big wage but now he's no club had a shite season and no decent club with decent money will touch him. We are probably the biggest club he thinks will take him caise of Gerrard but I hope stevie puts his friendship to one side and isn't convinced into taking him on

Back