Skrtel

I don’t know if this is more paper talk or not. No idea how he played last season either, never saw him once. But he had forty one appearances including Europa cup appearances and six international appearances too. Surely he can’t be as bad as some are making out on here.

Mixed feelings. If free and a decent wage, could be worth taking a chance. We have 2
Young cb’s and he has plenty experience.

I don’t know if this is more paper talk or not. No idea how he played last season either, never saw him once. But he had forty one appearances including Europa cup appearances and six international appearances too. Surely he can’t be as bad as some are making out on here.
Roughly the same stats as Bruno Alvez

I just think we are going for the name and the reputation here and this has seriously stung us in the past.

Scottish football will eat you alive if physically and mentally your not up for the battle and all it entails. Reputations mean nothing, in fact the SPFL players relish the chance to chew big names up and spit them out.

That could easily be read as a reason in favour of Skrtel. Even at his age, he’s not going to be taking any pish off SPFL players.

Still, I can’t see this happening.

Not for me, we have Katic and Goldson already, we have edmundson and mccrorie who can fill in if need be, maybe look at s cheaper option if we want one more centre half but 60k pw would be mental imo considering what we already have

We are in the market for a proven central defender. Someone who is ready to go straight into the first-team.

Regarding Skrtel -- his previous contract was 60k a week. He is now out of contract. It's highly unlikely anyone is going to give him anywhere near that at his age and i'm sure he's aware of that.

Unlike most, I won't look at his age and dismiss him.

Garrard knows him better than most and say what you will, but against the Aberdeen, Motherwell, Livingston type teams who punt high balls all game, a guy like Skrtel would be very useful: big, physical, aggressive and won't be pushed around.

Our league is full of defenders of that style who are rated despite being much worse.

Folk even trying to compare this to Kranjcar or Alves are genuinely mental.

Were either of those players being linked with moves to Barcelona and Juventus six months before they joined us?

Thought not.

Alves was playing in a European Championship winning team...

Ex Teammate and a friend of Steven Gerrard's. We were all rather excited by the thought of spending money on him last summer. Him coming in on a free could be a decent bit of business. It's not like he'd be here for a jolly. He's mates with Gerrard, I think Gerrard would be upfront and honest to tell him not to bother if his hearts not in it. I'll trust Gerrard's judgement on it if he does sign. Could be good for guys like Edmundson and Katić.

Still regularly capped at international level. Wouldn't be gutted if he didn't come. Would prefer Marek Suchy who is also available for nothing.

Roughly the same stats as Bruno Alvez
Maybe he’ll be more suited to Scottish football since he spent eight years in England and would be moving into a more settled, better team, with a better manager than Alves got. Maybe not. If anything comes of it, it’ll come with the same guarantee of success as any transfer. None.

Do you really need experienced centre halves?? I would argue goldson is our “experienced” centre half , and with a keeper like mcgregor in between the sticks we shouldn’t need an old crocked has been. These type of deals for a 32+ year old defender hardly ever work out for any team. If your good enough, your old enough to play anywhere on the park. Katic and edmundson + one other youngish centre half would be excellent.

Risky to try and squeeze a final season out of a player at the end of their career. Think the wages could be spent better elsewhere but If Gerrard/staff are happy to have him then that would be good enough for me.

Steven Davis is only 2 weeks younger than Skrtel. Is he an old dud?
We knew what we were getting with Davis - a consummate professional.

Skrtel and the likes are massive risks, and in our case signings like his have turned out to be absolute disasters for us as a club in recent years.

Don’t be fooled. Players that have played in higher standards of leagues than the SPFL think it’s going to be a walk in the park. We’ve seen that all too many a time.

Davis and Defoe you know what you’re getting. Foreigners or players with a screw loose like Barton often tend to turn into calamities for us and end up hurting us financially.

Unsure on this.

There's no way we can go into the season with just Goldson, Katic and Edmundson as our only CB's. Edmundson is young and completely untested, Katic still learning as well tbf. So one more, preferably with experience, is still definitely needed.

Skrtel though...hmmm. Very good CH for most of his Liverpool days but what he's like now I don't really know. Got to be wary of these 34+ players who continue to play well past their prime. Although physically, I'd be fairly confident he could handle it, always struck me as a right proper, up for a battle CH.

If he's willing to come in on a relatively low wage (10-15 tops), give it his all and be prepared to not he an automatic starter (G+K have got the jerseys at start of season for me), then maybe it might be decent business. Also, the gaffer is someone Skrtel likes and trusts so he could be really keen to do him, and us, a good turn.

Maybe he’ll be more suited to Scottish football since he spent eight years in England and would be moving into a more settled, better team, with a better manager than Alves got. Maybe not. If anything comes of it, it’ll come with the same guarantee of success as any transfer. None.
Hope so.

It's not a signing i'd like us to make though.

How can we go for a player for the third time if we never went for him the first time?

Corned-beef face has a Rangers exclusive?
Really?
:)):)):))

I just think we are going for the name and the reputation here and this has seriously stung us in the past.

Scottish football will eat you alive if physically and mentally your not up for the battle and all it entails. Reputations mean nothing, in fact the SPFL players relish the chance to chew big names up and spit them out.
Tbh for the last while we've tended to sign one big name experienced defender every year (or big relative to the league that they're playing in). Going back to Walter leaving, in the top flight we've had;

2011 Bocanegra
2016 Senderos
2017 Alves
2018 McAuley
2019 ???

We knew what we were getting with Davis - a consummate professional.

Skrtel and the likes are massive risks, and in our case signings like his have turned out to be absolute disasters for us as a club in recent years.

Don’t be fooled. Players that have played in higher standards of leagues than the SPFL think it’s going to be a walk in the park. We’ve seen that all too many a time.

Davis and Defoe you know what you’re getting. Foreigners or players with a screw loose like Barton often tend to turn into calamities for us and end up hurting us financially.

I would say the same but Gerrard and Skrtel are mates. I think the gaffer would give him plenty to chew over before signing. It's not like we are going to offer him an inflated wage packet based on his previous clubs and who he was 5 seasons ago. Would imagine Gerrard thinks he can add something that is missing, in order to enhance our squad.

Agree that players of his age and position can be a high risk in our league though.

I would say the same but Gerrard and Skrtel are mates. I think the gaffer would give him plenty to chew over before signing. It's not like we are going to offer him an inflated wage packet based on his previous clubs and who he was 5 seasons ago. Would imagine Gerrard thinks he can add something that is missing, in order to enhance our squad.

Agree that players of his age and position can be a high risk in our league though.
I can’t see Skrtel coming cheap and he’ll probably want a last big pay day.

He played in (bar one) all of their Europa League (they got to the round of 32) and Champions League games, and while Fenerbahce finished sixth, they conceded less goals than three of the teams above them (3rd, 4th and 5th) it's just that their scoring record was atrocious.

Nah but he's past it though :rolleyes:

I can’t see Skrtel coming cheap and he’ll probably want a last big pay day.

Well if that's the case then I don't see him wearing our shirt next season. However if he's willing to take a paycut. We might be able to accommodate him in our squad.

Most of this is conjecture. I don't see us wasting our remaining budget on him. Players don't come to Scotland to supplement their retirement funds, not people of Skrtel's standing at least.

I don’t know what he’d be after wage wise but I’d take a guess at saying he isn’t worth it unless he is willing to take a considerable cut.

IMHO this would be a negative move, besides any age and reduced ability problems the Vatican refs, and frightened rabbit non Vatican ones would have a field day with him.

the one thing skrtel will give you however erratic he can be is being up for a battle

Not sure about this especially on 30k a week

If we do sign him it absolutely must be a year rolling contract like with Davis though

Back