Rafa Benitez releases statement after leaving Newcastle United

Bonnyloyal

Benitez said: "Dear NUFC fans, Thank you for three fantastic, exciting and, at times, challenging years.

"What we have had here - your support, your affection and your passion - has been unbelievable for me. St James' Park has been always special, the 5-1 win against Tottenham, 15-05-2016, was so emotional that since that day I have always felt as though I belonged at Newcastle and I thank you for making me feel so welcome and at home.

"Thank you to everyone at the Club who has helped the team and of course to the fine players who grew and fought with us and to the staff (one of the best I have ever shared time with).

"From winning the Championship, to our two seasons in the Premier League, fans, staff and players have all been United. I wanted to stay, but I didn't just want to sign an extended contract, I wanted to be part of a project.

"Unfortunately, it became increasingly clear to me that those at the top of the Club did not share the same vision.

"I’m very sad about that, but I do not regret for one moment my decision to come to Tyneside and I’m very proud about what we achieved together.

"I will always have you in my heart. Best of luck for the future. C’mon Toons!’"

If I were a NUFC fan, I'd be storming the doors of St James' Park after reading that.

That was their big chance to really build something. All they had to do was back Rafa, but as we especially know all too well, Ashley was never going to do that.

Over to you, Toon Army.
Newcastle are fvcked. Look at the damage the fatman done to us with contracts etc in a limited space of time with limited power. He has been in complete control of Newcastle for years, I really dont envisage a scenario that they are completely rid of him.

Benitez said: "Dear NUFC fans, Thank you for three fantastic, exciting and, at times, challenging years.

"What we have had here - your support, your affection and your passion - has been unbelievable for me. St James' Park has been always special, the 5-1 win against Tottenham, 15-05-2016, was so emotional that since that day I have always felt as though I belonged at Newcastle and I thank you for making me feel so welcome and at home.

"Thank you to everyone at the Club who has helped the team and of course to the fine players who grew and fought with us and to the staff (one of the best I have ever shared time with).

"From winning the Championship, to our two seasons in the Premier League, fans, staff and players have all been United. I wanted to stay, but I didn't just want to sign an extended contract, I wanted to be part of a project.

"Unfortunately, it became increasingly clear to me that those at the top of the Club did not share the same vision.

"I’m very sad about that, but I do not regret for one moment my decision to come to Tyneside and I’m very proud about what we achieved together.

"I will always have you in my heart. Best of luck for the future. C’mon Toons!’"
Let's hope Peace Process Provan reads that. Jump the dyke prick.

Geordies are a breed apart,ive worked with them throughout my employment.
NUFC is a way of life for them,much like us you may say.
No they are not like us,they accept an owner who is using their club as a vessel to sell sports goods!
In our times of trouble we rallied together against the spivs,thats why we are an Institution and NUFC are a football club.

A blindly loyal support, willing to turn up every week and pile millions per year in season tickets and merchandise. An Ashley cash cow of a wet dream.

You wonder what he saw in us.... at least we managed to send him packing. Happiest day ever was entering Ibrox and those SD hoardings were consigned to the skip.

A cancer in football, I wish the Newcastle fans well in their struggles but they need to hit him where it hurts.

So he was offered a new contract but walked because he wasn't going to be getting what he wanted - ie loads of money thrown at him ... no doubt with an eye on a bigger job.

I wonder if any Newcastle fans are still deluded enough to think Ashley isn't the problem?
ST boycott hit him where it hurts, it's the only way! They won't though and have to reap what they sow

There is little comparison between NUFC's situation and ours. Granted, Ashley was trying to get the same levelbof control here, our board had the opportunity to stop him, and thank god they did. If they hadnt he would have had every aspect of our operations by the balls - we would have mid table mediocrity, more Newcastle loan signings and we'd be paying him for the privilege of using our home to play football. At NUFC it will make minimal difference to his finances if fans boycott the club. He still has EPL income and free advertising for his jumble sale

He is a total amoral cnut who I believe takes pleasure in making thousands of working class football fans upset and angry

And still they will turn up in numbers. Boycott the home games, dont buy season tickets, suffer the pain that will come but the fan base is loyal enough to build the club back up when that fat parasite is gone!

I'd give him a call and have him up at the HTC for 6-12 months passing on some counsel to the gaffer. Doesnt have to be anything official. Just as a mentor type thing. The guy knows his stuff

What’s happened to the Arab sheikh takeover?

Probably the same as every other "takeover". Smoke and mirrors from the fat man to get season tickets sold while using it as an excuse for no money being spent on signings, only for it to collapse late in the day. How many times has it happened before? 4? 5? You'd think the toon army would start catching on to his deceit...

Newcastle are fvcked. Look at the damage the fatman done to us with contracts etc in a limited space of time with limited power. He has been in complete control of Newcastle for years, I really dont envisage a scenario that they are completely rid of him.

Every prospective buyer once they see what's in the detail they run a mile, I'd guess every image/ badge /quote will be solely owned and copyrited by Ashley and any buyer is only buying the team on the park but all of the debt that comes along with it....
They then run a mile

Boycotting won’t bother Ashley whilst they are in the Premier League.

Think the only out for Newcastle would be starting their own fan owned club with big names like Shearer and Keegan behind it with a long term aim of getting control back from Ashley when Newcastle are rendered worthless if everyone gets behind the alternative and buys their merchandise and supports that team.

Anyone that tries to buy Newcastle now are going to get a shell of a club with no assets that are tied into retail deals.

They’ll still turn up in their droves though and the cycle will keep repeating.

Even if not one fan turned up it would barely even scratch the surface of Ashley's incomings. 95% of his takings from Newcastle will be TV money.

I disagree with this point of view as can you imagine the EPL being happy at their world wide brand appeal being damaged like this players would quickly down tools and they'd fall down the divisions..... Newcastle fans at some point will have to take short term pain for long term gain

I know a few Geordies who’ve totally boycotted their club due to Ashley. They are so frustrated at the fans who turn up every other week but are helpless as they’re in the minority. Ashley is an absolute parasite and needs chased

A blindly loyal support, willing to turn up every week and pile millions per year in season tickets and merchandise. An Ashley cash cow of a wet dream.

You wonder what he saw in us.... at least we managed to send him packing. Happiest day ever was entering Ibrox and those SD hoardings were consigned to the skip.

A cancer in football, I wish the Newcastle fans well in their struggles but they need to hit him where it hurts.
We haven't yet sent him packing.

So he was offered a new contract but walked because he wasn't going to be getting what he wanted - ie loads of money thrown at him ... no doubt with an eye on a bigger job.

That statement reads to me like he was offered an extra year when Rafa really wanted another 3 or 4.

I disagree with this point of view as can you imagine the EPL being happy at their world wide brand appeal being damaged like this players would quickly down tools and they'd fall down the divisions..... Newcastle fans at some point will have to take short term pain for long term gain

The EPL could be unhappy all they want. Legally there wouldn't be much they could do. It's up to the fans if they want to turn up or not. As for the players, I doubt they'd care either way.

Every prospective buyer once they see what's in the detail they run a mile, I'd guess every image/ badge /quote will be solely owned and copyrited by Ashley and any buyer is only buying the team on the park but all of the debt that comes along with it....
They then run a mile

Has to be the case. How many tines has he “been on the brink” of selling the club, only for it not to happen?

Seems obvious that he will have them even more tied up than he got us.

Frankly, I think they’re simply fcked and only when he dies will they be rid of him. Though, even that doesn’t mean they’ll be out of the woods. Christ knows where his will has things going.

If I were a NUFC fan, I'd be storming the doors of St James' Park after reading that.

That was their big chance to really build something. All they had to do was back Rafa, but as we especially know all too well, Ashley was never going to do that.

Over to you, Toon Army.
To be fair Rangers fans have had worse treatment in the past 7 years and nobody stormed our doors.

They have to:

Stop buying season tickets

Stop Buying merchandise

Actively target his retail outlets in a legal manner

It took us a few years to galvanise, even though he treated us with contempt it still took a few years to get the majority of the support onside.

Newcastle have a dark and miserable future ahead of them, it will be years and years of heartache. They simply have to face the fact that this man is ruining their club, and they would be better in the 4th division without him than in the EPL with him in control.

The EPL could be unhappy all they want. Legally there wouldn't be much they could do. It's up to the fans if they want to turn up or not. As for the players, I doubt they'd care either way.

It wouldn’t be overnight that a boycott would impact them. It would take time. But no way would a Newcastle Utd with empty stands would survive in the EPL for long or attract top managers or players in the longer term.

It would take a few years, but their value would plummet

Even if not one fan turned up it would barely even scratch the surface of Ashley's incomings. 95% of his takings from Newcastle will be TV money.

I don't think he takes any money out of the club other than them repaying his interest free loan and obviously what he makes from controlling the retail/intellectual property side of things.

The season ticket sales and retail/hospitality are still a massive part of their income - roughly 50% according to their last published accounts.

I hate Ashley with a passion, but what is he supposed to do ? There are 6 big clubs in England (financially) at present but only 4 can get the holy grail of CL football. That leaves 1 place for EL and the current clubs chasing this Wolves, Leicester,West Ham and Leicester. Fans have expectations of success and to me that means staying in the top divisions. Where do NUFC fans think they should be ?

An empty stadium would be a powerful image, as others have said though there is not a quick fix but they need to start doing something.
Couldn't they look to block/hamper the tv access?

I hate Ashley with a passion, but what is he supposed to do ? There are 6 big clubs in England (financially) at present but only 4 can get the holy grail of CL football. That leaves 1 place for EL and the current clubs chasing this Wolves, Leicester,West Ham and Leicester. Fans have expectations of success and to me that means staying in the top divisions. Where do NUFC fans think they should be ?

What is he supposed to do? Eh, back the manager for a start.

Boycott the stadium, kill any atmosphere.

Newcastle would likely go down and/or it would see a lot of pressure from the Premier League for wasting the ‘image’ of the product.

It sounds like relegation is the only way he’ll consider selling.

That he felt the need to make a statement says a lot. He doesn't tear Ashley apart - but, makes it very clear that there is no ambition at the top.

If ever there were a team to go down the same route as the Man Utd fans did with the Glazers with FC United of Manchester, it's Newcastle.

Buying out Ashley will not solve their problems!

Guaranteed he would still have them tied up with legal loopholes for decades to come.

The fan group ashley out.com have called for fans to boycott games and merchandise. I hope that some momentum builds and the supporters do this. Feel sorry for them.

Back