Match Thread St Joseph's v Rangers - 16:55 Tuesday - Premier Sports

This pitch make Hamilton’s look like Wembley. I said 1-0 I would actually take 0-0... let’s get to %^*& from Gibraltar and get them back at Ibrox.

Would fancy our chances on a one off tie v this mob at Ibrox even if we only had 9 men.

No injuries and lets gtf.

Not a great game and it doesn’t sound like much atmosphere either. Preseason friendly feel to it

I thought we couldn’t get a Scottish ref?

Still, what a turgid performance and hurricane Gibraltar against us in the second half.

Just another one of those horrible sticky games on a terrible surface against folk diving and breaking up play, along with 10 men in their own box and a low block. frustrating viewing but not unexpected.

Seen this movie before. It's a shit one. 45 mins in and don't know if their goalkeeper is any good or not.

Decent first half. We should be a goal up but the finishing hasn’t been good enough.

We can do much better but it’s the first competitive game, on a dreadful pitch in the sweltering heat so it’s probably best if people don’t go OTT but I’m sure some will.

Craigan saying that could easily have been a red card. Just trying to ingratiate himself with the fans. Had that foul been against a Motherwell or Kilmarnock player he’d be saying it was a soft foul. The prick is easily read.

Too early to get all panty wetty but we still don’t look like we’re able to break down a team that sits in deep.

No one has been great or terrible. I’m not a fan of Barisic’s deliveries at corners but I don’t think he’s done much wrong in regular play.

As I posted earlier this has all the horrible signs of playing on one of the many crappy plastic pitches in Scotland against a team with 10 men behind the ball with a referee stopping the game for countless free kicks and a linesman giving every single tight decision offside.

We have played some nice football at times but again when it gets to the 30 yard mark we seem to struggle to find a quality pass or cross

I would hope at Ibrox on a good playing surface we would murder this team on this utter disgrace of a pitch any result is possible including a defeat.

3-C35-BA71-C7-E4-4299-AB3-B-994-DB2-BA0-BAF.gif

No real width to us. We're falling into their trap of playing narrow and therefore trying to play constant balls through the middle where the majority of St Jospeh's players are.

We need to mix it up much more, far too predictable.

We're doing alright. The rustyness was always going to be there.

Hopefully Ojo and Jones see more of the ball in the second half. They're the key to opening this mob up.

Poor first half . I know all the reasons, early season, plastic pitch, heat, and the usual packed defence to negotiate. However, we need to do much better with out final pass, and were not using the flanks very effectively. Early days but we really need to up the quality of our play. We also need to stay alert at the back, On at least two occasions we couldve been burned by better opposition

We need to change the midfield three there’s no need for us to be playing they three against this mob.

Get docherty or Aribo on.

Not got any concerns that we wont do the business but would have hoped for a wee bit more in that first half than what we got there.

Manager should feel confident after that first half that we can go a bit more attacking in midfield for the second.

Take Defoe off for Morelos before this ref makes a name for himself by sending him off for no reason.
Ref is a real o2 Waster.

Last edited:
Crap first half. We look comfortable but cant break teams down as usual. I know people will say first game etc but this reminds me so much of last season. We should causing this lot more trouble than we are

only saw 25 mins but
bizarre that against Oxford, friendly, Ibrox, pitch etc, but we were fluid, fast paced and threatening from all positions. people looking for the ball and comfortable on it, turning and going to goal
today we are lacking most of that

They're looking more and more tired, we're getting more opportunities.

Not sure we need those three in midfield together, I'd look to get Stewart on for Kamara soon.

Always love seeing the mental comments on our Facebook page when we’re drawing or losing in a game we should be winning easily.

All the Europeans and Africans are going off their nut because they have us on their accumulators:)):))

Say what you like about their anti football tactics but we look very rusty especially in and around the box....even a wee bit of angst amongst our ranks. We score 1 and we could score 5....just need to relax in and around the box.

Ryan Jack is on a 6 game ban for that kick
This is going to be like a good 16/17 home games for us this season and the majority of the away games. Low block, kick like %^*&...best get used to it and fast, and learn to trust your good players in and around the box to produce a bit of guile. Katic is a rock, playing with Davie Weir you would be talking Vidic level hype! Barasic doing well, Ojo and Jones probing...wonder if Defoe will get the same ridicule Alfie suffers for his unnecessary offsides but fancy him to notch here. In and out with a clean sheet and a win. Job done! Let's go

** this isn't being said with the intent of being negative **

Given our squad size - chances of departures, more incoming and outgoings etc it isn't that mental to expect a high level of intensity even this early in the season...

That and just dicking a team now and then is decent for momentum - sending message etc.

An early season game doesn't have to simply equate to a slog and that, was a slog.
What would you do differently at the edge of the box with 9 men behind the ball? Just curious

Back