Filip Helander signs 4 year deal now Confirmed

With all respect, that is absolute bollocks.

The suggestion that free/Bosman/low cost players are instantly poorer than more expensive alternatives is simply just stupid.

We could win the league with the correct free or Bosman players, it’s nonsense to suggest that simply paying for players guarantees success.
Tell that to or manager who it looks like is about to feel justified in spending £4.5m on a centre half.

I am saying that you have to splash some cash to get certain players. No big deal. It's a case of mix and match to get the right blend.

The suggestion that free/Bosman/low cost players are instantly poorer than more expensive alternatives is simply just stupid.

We could win the league with the correct free or Bosman players, it’s nonsense to suggest that simply paying for players guarantees success.
I'm reminded of our transfers at the beginning of 04/05.

Boumsong
Prso
Rae
Andrews
Vignal

Pretty sure the total outlay for those 4 was £0.00 in transfer fees.

We paid a few hundred grand for Novo and £1m for Mladenovic.

Not that today's market is the same but was some way to transform the team.

Indeed. As I've asked a few times. Kamara (£50k) or Grezda (£2m) - who's the better signing? There's a lot more to it than simply the fee paid.

Would rather we spend that or thereabouts on another forward

Alfie will be gone in the window or the next

We don’t need a “Marquee” center back

It's not mutually exclusive.

We have our list of targets, if Morelos leaves, we re-invest the proceeds of the sale into the new striker.

Can’t see why people aren’t happy.
The Europa League campaign, if the same length as last season, will kill our chances at winning the league.

Unless we give the squad real depth and quality to allow a proper rotational system.

I’m in.

The big man doesn't settle for just one Mrs

filip-helander-and-girlfriend-john-guidetti-and-girlfriend-sanna-picture-id993572256

The Scandinavian shagger

Our sexiest left footer since Big Papac.

McGregor is going to get jealous and give him pelters too.

Pip Highlander Loyal.

Surprised at this , expected another centre back but one that would be 3rd/4th choice , never saw us spending that on one. I wouldn’t be too fussed if that didn’t happen.

Tell that to or manager who it looks like is about to feel justified in spending £4.5m on a centre half.

I am saying that you have to splash some cash to get certain players. No big deal. It's a case of mix and match to get the right blend.

As I’m sure you know, that’s somewhat different to saying that free and Bosman players can only take you so far.

It’s as generalised as it is naive.

I like Katic, but Goldson is our best central defender mate.

Even yesterday Katic switched off twice at 0-0.

We definitely need an experienced left sided central defender and this guy fits the bill.

Katic will still see plenty game time this season and develop and improve further.

Katic is younger so like you say can develop and statistically as we've debated before I like to judge center backs on how they operate in a pairing and the defence simply concedes less when he's playing, Goldson is infinitely more comfortable next to him than he was Worrall I just have a preference to Niko. Like I said though, no matter who he replaces on paper this man certainly appears to be an upgrade on both. I won't pretend to have seen him but a defender his age playing that many games in Serie A and apparently first choice CB for Sweden? It's a massive shift from where we were a couple years ago.

As someone else mentioned on this thread it appears that Helander is a left footed LCB and if he's good with the ball at his feet it will help us tremendously in the first phase of play getting the ball up the park quicker against teams that are sitting deep, which is something we were not great at last year.

As I’m sure you know, that’s somewhat different to saying that free and Bosman players can only take you so far.

It’s as generalised as it is naive.
No team in Europe wins a league with just loans and Bosmans. Spending is part of the cycle.

Why would SG be spending over £4m if he thought he could get a better Bosman?

If this guy comes in, and we get Kent back, I reckon we are one striker away from the squad for the end of the window. Although I think Morelos might be an August saga.

Mark Allen will then be tasked with finding new places of work for the following, to reduce wage bill:

Docherty (loan) possibly
Murphy - (loan) possibly
Middleton (loan)

Alnwick
Holt
Dorrans
Grezda
Herrera
Dodoo
Lafferty
Hardie

Murphys going nowhere

It's not mutually exclusive.

We have our list of targets, if Morelos leaves, we re-invest the proceeds of the sale into the new striker.

Timing mate

We know Alfie’s going this window or next

Bringing in a forward now to get bedded in makes sense than doing it in the next window

Also I can see Edmuson being willing to sit on the bench for a while but only two of Katic, Goldson and FH will want to.....and have to play

Just think we have what appears to be three good center backs.....bring in another youth or go for another edmuson type with a similar fee

If Alfie goes we need to replace his goals

We were pretty solid defensively last year

No team in Europe wins a league with just loans and Bosmans. Spending is part of the cycle.

Again, not what I’m saying.

You’re suggesting that players who you pay a fee for are automatically better than free or Bosman players, which I’m sure even you know if wrong.

We as a club are a picture perfect example of that.

Sounds an exciting addition.

re fees, bosmans etc and so on...

I don't care how a player arrives as long as our money is going on players who we will play.

Our budget feels a bit more free and lose this summer as we have spent less time, money etc paying people off, looking to loan players etc.

It will irk a minority but it as clear as a hole in most other fans arse the moving on of Cardoso, Pena and loaning of Herrera wasn't cheap - that's a cost removed from our books this summer, that is massive to us

The number of people creaming their pants over a player they have never seen nor heard of.

Purely getting excited over the rumoured cost of £4.5m.

Some folk learn absolutely nothing. Their knowledge of football wouldn't fill the back of a postage stamp.

Don't get the negativity with this one, our centre backs at present are Goldson, Katic, Edmundson, an injury to one of them and we'd be moaning about not investing in another centre back.

I get the love for Katic and we all have our favourites, but continuous improvement is the Gerrard mantra and for me, a Swedish international centre half with Italian experience would seem to be all about improvement. Bring it (him) on.

PS. If we sign more better players then other current favourites will inevitably drop out. It’s the price of progress and I love the fact those days are returning! I’m not going to criticise the club for investing in making us better.

Apparently he hasn't trained with them since they returned to pre-season, so this looks like it could well be imminent as the Swedish newspaper is claiming.

Would also suggest that he would need a pre-season for us prior to playing.

The number of people creaming their pants over a player they have never seen nor heard of.

Some folk learn absolutely nothing. Their knowledge of football wouldn't fill the back of a postage stamp.

Did you get out of bed the wrong side this morning? Still hungover from last night?

There is an element of truth in what you say, of course, but c'mon man, lighten up and enjoy the ride.:eek::)

Indeed. As I've asked a few times. Kamara (£50k) or Grezda (£2m) - who's the better signing? There's a lot more to it than simply the fee paid.

Even if we want to talk (bigger) money paying deals, Morelos for £1m and Tav for £250k - paying big fees for a club in our position is a risk. There’s no shame in targeting players whose contracts are running out or whatever, it’s Juventus’ main tool.

No concerns with Helander though, looks very much a straightforward international class Scandanavian CB who kills people who stand near him - fine with that.

I'd say it's more to do with the fact he's a Swedish international centre-back currently playing in Serie A every week.

Surprised at this , expected another centre back but one that would be 3rd/4th choice , never saw us spending that on one. I wouldn’t be too fussed if that didn’t happen.

Nonsense, we have 2 young defenders. Our next CB should be deemed as a starter with experience, cost isn't relevant.

Murphys going nowhere

I think he might have to go out for 6-months to get full match sharpness and regular football.

IF Kent comes in, we would have the following in the wide area's, and I don't think we will have 6 players for two starting roles:

Kent?
Murphy
Ojo
Candeias
Jones
Hastie

Apparently he hasn't trained with them since they returned to pre-season, so this looks like it could well be imminent as the Swedish newspaper is claiming.

Would also suggest that he would need a pre-season for us prior to playing.
Bologna's pre-season starts tomorrow.

People getting excited because we might spend £4m on a player is more realistic

Instead of slagging that and sounding so obtuse, climb down and join the excitement

I'm not saying he won't go on to be an excellent signing. He appears to be exactly what we need but people are clearly excited due to the cost, lets not pretend otherwise and it's naive.

Back