Filip Helander signs 4 year deal now Confirmed

Any excitement I feel about this is because he is a Swedish international playing in serie A. I am probably in the minority that doesn't want us spending much on players at the moment as I completely bought into the buy young and progress them model we were told was our future.

A completely reasonable outlook and I agree with you.

Centre backs get injuries and suspensions, if this guy signs it seems we will have decent back up.

I bet there were a few games last season where Goldson had a small niggly injuries but due to numbers he had to play.

It is, fans generally get excited about signings its part if football, Aribo didn't come with a hefty fee and folk were excited.

Maybe some like the fact we've got money to spend, but it doesn't mean they could 'write their football knowledge on the back of a stamp'!

Completely missing the point.

My point being, getting excited based on the fee is naive.

Read page 1. It's clearly down to the reported fee.

I think more people are excited about his pedigree than the fee mate.

There may be a few excited about how much we're allegedly paying, but as @Neilston Unionist says, the majority of us are more impressed that he's left sided, 6ft 4in, a Swedish internationalist, 26 year old and has experience of defending in a quality league.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a hot Mrs Helander?
tumblr_inline_p9t9bjEYD21uk9ok6_500.png

This won't go down well on here. I said that Lustig would be a big loss to them (aside from displays v Kent) as a current Swedish International would be very comfortable in the SPFL.
I also think that we now have loads of International players in our poolives which helps.

I wonder if we will have a “cup pairing” and “league pairing” at centre back this season?
With all respect, that is absolute bollocks.

The suggestion that free/Bosman/low cost players are instantly poorer than more expensive alternatives is simply just stupid.

We could win the league with the correct free or Bosman players, it’s nonsense to suggest that simply paying for players guarantees success.
Exactly..bid Dado was a freebie..look how that worked out.#helicptersunday

No

Nobody knows the fee. It is the fact he is a Swedish international, in his prime playing in Italy that has most excited.

The reported fee. Obviously being excited for the right reasons is fine. But you can't deny there's an element on here who just want money to be spent regardless.

I've never said they are better. I am saying that there are only so many decent loans and Bosmans to go round, so at some stage you have to go out and spend. Particularly at a club like ours where we demand titles. The honeymoon period is over. It's serious business now.
There definitely needs to be a mix, by scouting cleverly and having good contacts at big clubs then there are definite bargains to be had in the loan and bosman markets but I agree, sometimes you simply have to pay good money to get good players.

Fees guarantee nothing but the fact we have a limited budget and our management team feel this guy is worth risking a substantial portion of it then tells me they feel he is a definite improvement on our starting 11.

We need a TOP left footed centre back, anyone that does not realise this has no clue. Plus I think our manager knows what he is doing. Always too much negativity on here about everything.

Would rather we spend that or thereabouts on another forward

Alfie will be gone in the window or the next

We don’t need a “Marquee” center back

We've been the league's top scorers the last two years on the bounce; our forwards aren't a concern for me. It's seeing games out and not giving away shitty goals that we need to improve on.

This won't go down well on here. I said that Lustig would be a big loss to them (aside from displays v Kent) as a current Swedish International would be very comfortable in the SPFL.
I also think that we now have loads of International players in our poolives which helps.

I wish they had kept lustig of the dump.

He was their weak link in the back 4 and could be targetted.

I didn't think we would sign AN other CB I did think we would pull the trigger as such on Katic this season and bank on him.

It does seem like by process of elimination we likely won't be doing that.

** not a panty wetting, burying Katic etc - just how football works.

As much as we will play 60 games etc it is still most likely 2 CB's play a shit load more games than the rest.

The hype for Katic is crazy at times. A good defender with lots of potential but not undroppable.
100% mate I rate katic and he can go on to be a very good player but he has some flaws in his game that get overlooked on here. He gets far to tight to his man at times which allows the striker an opportunity to spin in the big guy at hearts and eduoard done it the in the games at the split and were only saved due to poor finishing also he's prone to switching off at times. He's being managed correctly by Gerrard and I still expect him to play 20 plus games this season.

Can’t read entire thread at the moment – is this been confirmed as true or just a random internet rumour?

There definitely needs to be a mix, by scouting cleverly and having good contacts at big clubs then there are definite bargains to be had in the loan and bosman markets but I agree, sometimes you simply have to pay good money to get good players.

Fees guarantee nothing but the fact we have a limited budget and our management team feel this guy is worth risking a substantial portion of it then tells me they feel he is a definite improvement on our starting 11.
Good post mate.

And If SG feels justified in spending £4m+ on a player then so be it. If he feels he could have got an equivalent or better player for free then I am sure he would have looked down that route. Clearly he feels he needs to pay this fee to get what he wants.

Exposing loopholes like what we did for Aribo are thin on the ground.

We definitely do. I’m amazed at people thinking we don’t.

We need a top quality centre back and another striker and then we are good to go.

We need top quality everywhere.

I appreciate what the likes of Goldson and Katic have done, but bench or sell them as soon as there’s a better player.

Same goes for Tav, Morelos, Arfield or whoever.

Didn’t think we’d spend this type of fee unless we sold Tav or Morelos

Can’t wait to see what the big man has in his locker
As others have said
26 years old
Swedish international
Signed from a top league (Italy )

Surely he’ll be a cracker

I didn't think we would sign AN other CB I did think we would pull the trigger as such on Katic this season and bank on him.

It does seem like by process of elimination we likely won't be doing that.

** not a panty wetting, burying Katic etc - just how football works.

As much as we will play 60 games etc it is still most likely 2 CB's play a shit load more games than the rest.

Gerrard has consistently said we need four central defenders and again last week said we are in the market for a proven central defender.

Can’t read entire thread at the moment – is this been confirmed as true or just a random internet rumour?
Apparentely a very credible outlet in Sweden reporting it as almost done, who knows for sure though

Last edited:
Interesting and surprising (to me) that we're willing to spend that amount on a CB. Hopefully he's at the level we need to prevent the loss of last minute goals at Fir Park and Pittodrie, and to dominate some of the high bsll merchants that populate Scottish football

Cant help but feel bad for katic, doesnt step a foot wrong and will no doubt be benched for this lad...

Massive chunk of cash for a CB,hope he matches his price tag with performances if this guy is part of the Gaffers plans.

Would imagine at that price he would have been heavily scouted and on our backrooms radar.

26yo old BB. That’s very young for a CD. I haven’t seen him but at face value a few boxes are ticked.

Gerrard has consistently said we need four central defenders and again last week said we are in the market for a proven central defender.

It's a given we need, will likely have 4 - it still doesn't mean they play every week

Liverpool have a player like Lovren on their books, but he doesn't play that much football because 11 shirts starting means he can't

Back