Our Best CB Pairing?

Lord Summerisle

Administrator
Staff member
Based on last season and what you’ve seen of the two new CBs, who would be your first-choice CB pairing at this moment in time?

For me, it’s Katić and Edmundson.

I’m not deliberately trying to stir things up, but Goldson might just be our fourth-best centre back.
He’s prone to mess up defensively and quite often gets caught in possession when he’s on the ball – yet he seems to be beyond criticism, whereas Katić does one thing wrong and is bombed out for weeks.

I’ve obviously not seen enough of Helander yet to make an informed judgement.

So, based on current form, I’d be playing Edmundson alongside my first pick, Katić.

Katić is a superb defender – and our biggest goal threat in the air.

I know a lot of people say he’s overrated on FF – I’d counter that by saying it’s actually Goldson who’s overrated.

That said, to have four players of a more than decent standard for CB is a very good problem to have.

Imo goldson's got a challenge with his footwork , that is the source of his limitations . Eg being entirely confident and tidy on the ball and also turning and getting close enough to the opponents body .

Thought tonight was a slack show by him yes.

Edmundson and another, hopefully Helander will be the man to guide young Edmundson.

Just now.

Goldson - Edmundson

Edmundson has had a really good start to his Rangers career and I am impressed. Katič has made mistakes and been punished, Goldson hasn't. I wouldn't lose any sleep over Katič replacing Goldson.

I'm more concerned about dropping Edmundson as he doesn't deserve to be dropped.

Goldson’s position is certainly up for question for me.
At the minute, just not having seen enough of Helander, I’d be inclined to go with Katic and Edmundson. The worry is they’d just be too raw at their young ages together.

Goldson and one other.
Katic proved nothing last season.
Edmundson has done well against unproven opposition.
Helander, we don’t know enough about.

For me right now ..It's still Goldson and Katic.
They got us to last years group stages and then were immediately split up ..wrongly by Gerrard.
They should start against Kilmarnock ..but they won't.
But I still think in some games we are going to have just a back three.
Who that will be is anyone's guess right now.

Edmundson though is doing himself no harm with performances like tonight.
Goldson on the other hand at present who just seems to be an automatic pick no matter how he plays for Gerrard ...can do no wrong.

I hope Edmundson has hopefully given Gerrard 'food for thought' and not just pick the two he likes whether they are the best partnership or not.

Got a feeling that by the time we are half way through the season,Helander/Edmunson will
be the top pairing at CB.

How could anyone possibly make this call after 3 competitive games against pub teams when one of our centre backs hasn't even played a game for us yet?

Reactions: MSF
Edmundson and Helander.

Won’t happen both are left footers.

Strange that Goldson can have so many poor games and never gets dropped but Katic makes one mistake and is dropped.

For me Helander will get picked alongside Goldson, however for me it should be Katic.

Won’t happen both are left footers.

Strange that Goldson can have so many poor games and never gets dropped but Katic makes one mistake and is dropped.

For me Helander will get picked alongside Goldson, however for me it should be Katic.
I’m sure Edmundson is right footed.

Thought Goldson did well tonight. Won everything in the air and made some crucial tackles.

Other people's opinions are a funny old thing.

Far too early in the season to make judgements.

Things are undoubtedly looking promising with all three and eventually all four but I can remember Alves/Cardoso getting high praise early on. Long way to go yet.

Last edited:
If one of the two is not Connor Goldson then some cnut better tell Stevie Gerrard because Goldson is the first name on his teamsheet and nothing looks like changing there anytime soon.

Goldson gets caught under the ball at corners far too often although he is very useful playing a higher line.

I’d agree with Katic and Edmundson as things stand as first choice although we still need to see what Helender offers

I’m really not sure why Goldson seems to be the undisputed number 1 centre half.

I thought Katic outperformed him for much of last season and Edmundson is outperforming him now.

Sadly I think Katic is Gerrards 4th choice which I don't get.

We have 4 good CB's. To be honest until we see more of Helander I don't know how we can judge what the best pairing is.

Edmundson has been very impressive so far. I thought he would be more 'raw' than what he is.

Goldson and any other.

He's our best CB.

Gerrard will partner Helander with him, more often than not.

Edmundson and Katic, probably in that order, will get plenty games.

Not sure we can tell at this stage. However, I think Edmunson has been a stand out so far. I'd give him and either Katic or Helander a go for the next game.

Based on last season and what you’ve seen of the two new CBs, who would be your first-choice CB pairing at this moment in time?

I’m not deliberately trying to stir things up, but Goldson might just be our fourth-best centre back.
He’s prone to mess up defensively and quite often gets caught in possession when he’s on the ball – yet he seems to be beyond criticism, whereas Katić does one thing wrong and is bombed out for weeks.

So, based on current form, I’d be playing Edmundson alongside my first pick, Katić.

I know a lot of people say he’s overrated on FF – I’d counter that by saying it’s actually Goldson who’s overrated.

That said, to have four players of a more than decent standard for CB is a very good problem to have.
Agreed.....I said it umpteen times last season too.....Katic is better than Goldson for me and both defensively and offensively, so based on only having seen Edmundson Katic and Goldson so far I’d go Edmundosn and Katic.

If Helander is as a good as his price tag and pedigree suggests then I think it could end up being Edmundson and Helander or Helander and Katic.

Goldson and Helander will obviously start the season as the first-choice pairing and it's up to them to hold onto thje jersey. Goldson was excellent for most of last season despite it being his first full season playing regularly for two years due to a heart condition. He will only get stronger this season.

Until Helander is fully up to speed, I would play Edmundson in games we dominate the ball, and Katic in games where we expect to be backs to the wall at times.

One of them with Goldson.

Goldson’s reading of the game is excellent. The best way to evaluate a centre back is to see how many times they have to go to ground. It’s non existent with Goldson. He plays the full 90 on his feet.

Edmundson was solid tonight and will give us tremendous cover. I’m a huge fan of Katic but our main 2 will be Goldson and Helander. The only concern I have with that is the lack of pace between the two of them. As Goldson is excellent at reading the game, i don’t think it will cost us.

Sorry mate, I know you're a big Katic fan, but he's not in our coaching staff's top central defence partnership, nor should he be.

He'll get his chances throughout the season to prove them wrong though.

Edmundson must keep his place. He was amazing tonight and that saving challenge against Blackburn on Sunday was another fantastic moment.

Gouldson was poor tonight

We could have done with katic’s attacking threat.

Big G strolled it and is quicker than I first thought

Any 2 from the 4 should be good enough to handle the vast majority of what we will face this season. Not too fussed who it is as long as they're chosen on merit. Goldson should have been rested last season on several occasions, I hope we rotate wisely and the gaffer doesn't favour him when there are better options.

I think there’s a bit of the Davie Weir effect in having Goldson in there. Experience will have an effect on basically three young centre halves..

Back