Our Best CB Pairing?

Posted the comments below in the Filip Helander thread but feel they are also pertinent to this one.

Think Goldson is SG's number 1 CB, unless injured or serious loss of form he will start the majority of games. We have not spend more the £3m and a hefty wage on Helander for him to sit on the bench so expect these 2 to form our top CB pairing.

However in saying that in Edmundson and Katic we have 2 fantastic backups, both still young and learning but more than good enough to have Goldson and Helander looking over their shoulders if they do not perform.

As SG has said no one is going to play each and every game, there will be a fair bit of rotation to ensure our top pairing are not run into the ground. Compared to where we were in May 2018 it is a fantastic situation today to have what appears to be 4 excellent CB's.

I would start with Goldson and Katic just now but I would expect Helander to take Goldson’s position in the team. Edmundson has also looked very good and I think would be brilliant alongside Katic.

I hope all 4 get a lot of game time and we never lose a goal again:)

Katic is our least consistent centre half. He can play a blinder like today, but you can't just ignore the mistakes he has in him from time to time.

Edmundson has looked impressive in the limited game time he's had and could easily be just as good as the other 3.

For me Goldson is our most consistent and reliable centre half & the main leader in there. Really great reader of the game and would run through brick walls for us.

For Helander it's far too early to say how good he is, but no doubt he will come in and partner Goldson when he gets up to speed. That's what he's been brought in for.

4 great options to have in there but don't agree with folk saying Katic is a better centre half than Goldson right now.

It is clearly going to be Goldson and Helander, which looks a pretty strong option. To also have 2 very able deputies gives us a great chance to rotate if the season demands it and certainly cover injuries/suspensions. Katic and Edmundson are young, their time will come.

He really isn’t.
Well there's pretty much a reason he's been playing every game. Also, statistically speaking, no centre half in the SPL has a bigger difference in shot suppression than Goldson has over Katic, i.e. when they play together much more of the shots on goal come from Katic's area of the pitch.

Based on last season and what you’ve seen of the two new CBs, who would be your first-choice CB pairing at this moment in time?

For me, it’s Katić and Edmundson.

I’m not deliberately trying to stir things up, but Goldson might just be our fourth-best centre back.
He’s prone to mess up defensively and quite often gets caught in possession when he’s on the ball – yet he seems to be beyond criticism, whereas Katić does one thing wrong and is bombed out for weeks.

I’ve obviously not seen enough of Helander yet to make an informed judgement.

So, based on current form, I’d be playing Edmundson alongside my first pick, Katić.

Katić is a superb defender – and our biggest goal threat in the air.

I know a lot of people say he’s overrated on FF – I’d counter that by saying it’s actually Goldson who’s overrated.

That said, to have four players of a more than decent standard for CB is a very good problem to have.

Can't argue with any of this.

I would go with Katic and Goldson against Kilmarnock, however I think Gerrard will go with Goldson and Edmundson. Personally I would have Katic and one of the other three, he doesn’t %^*& about and will head anything that’s near him.

I am very pleased to say,that I would be equally happy with whatever pairing the manager
picks for any particular game.We are in such an enviable position with our CB's
The fabulous four.;)

Back