Ibrox capacity increase

a change of seating regulations in scottish football would be good, the easiest and less expensive thing to do would be create safe standing with a change of seat ratio, not only would the highly demanded safe standing come to Ibrox but it would increase capacity (cba making a imgur album or would post different seating variations)
s0OJUJp.png

Pardon my ignorance, how did Bar72 increase capacity? I always just assumed they were a section of existing seats with a good view bundled with the added extra’s.

The overhand on the govan was extended outwards and it added around 600 extra seats .

There’s no overhang on the broomloan or Copland so I’d imagine doing likewise would be more difficult as there’s less space and any overhand will cause visibility issues for those in the rear rows in the Copland front .

The most obvious candidate is to fill in the corners as previously looked at under Murray’s watch

Murray’s vision

coin game app

I like murrayfields design behind the goals . Probably cost prohibitive for us

coin game app

Other unofficial ideas

coin game app

It wouldn’t make any money. There is no footfall other than a match day. Stadium tours don’t generate enough people to make it viable. It’s been Looked at many times by the club, it’s not financially viable irrespective of the wailing and gnashing of teeth from folk on here.
Once it’s up and running presumably the day to day costs are minimal. It would enhance the tour experience and people would be spending longer at Ibrox so might then want to use the restaurant at the back of the Sandy Jardine stand

If we can somehow fill in the corners and make the Broomloan and Copland stands one massive stand instead of being divided into front and rears, just imagine how good the atmosphere could be at Ibrox!

Would be like a double up of the new Spurs South Stand without the curved top:

tottenham-hotspur-stadium-south-stand-1554038058.jpg

I think it’s fair to say that is on the ‘ambitious’ side of things right enough!

Once it’s up and running presumably the day to day costs are minimal. It would enhance the tour experience and people would be spending longer at Ibrox so might then want to use the restaurant at the back of the Sandy Jardine stand

I don’t see a business case for it mate and we’re not in a position where we can run projects st a loss.

But we're skint lolol. We are back with ambitious plans what a time to be a bear this extra 5000 seats could result in an extra 2-3million per season from league games alone

Saying this did come to fruition and the stadium was able to increase to 55’000 seats, imagine how raging you’d be to still have 9’000 people ahead of you in a waiting list.

Lol :)

Level of support’s unreal.

Happy to see the club looking at this.

My understanding is:

We cannot lower the pitch without spending a fortune.
We cannot fill in the corner without spending a fortune and we have the issue with the restaurant in one and the away support in another.
We can add to the front of both the Copland and Broomloan Rear.
We can add Safe Standing which will increase capacity, although not for Europe.

Happy to see the club looking at this.

My understanding is:

We cannot lower the pitch without spending a fortune.
We cannot fill in the corner without spending a fortune and we have the issue with the restaurant in one and the away support in another.
We can add to the front of both the Copland and Broomloan Rear.
We can add Safe Standing which will increase capacity, although not for Europe.

Safe standing won’t increase the capacity. A ratio of more than 1 to 1 isn’t even on the radar.

Only viable option I can see is to lessen the blue track width and to put in maybe 2-3 rows around the perimeter, but it would have to trench seating like the old Highbury.

Rangers are in talks with consultants about increasing the capacity of Ibrox to cope with fan demand.

The club are exploring the possibility of modernising the stadium to house up to 55,000 supporters in the coming seasons.

That’s around 5,000 more than at present, but record season ticket sales of 47,000 and a waiting list of over 15,000 has prompted the Light Blues to call in engineers.

There will be no radical overhaul of the stadium, such as new tiers on any of the existing stands.

However, a range of options are under discussion, which includes extending the areas between the bottom and the top of the Copland and Broomloan Stands to fit additional rows of seats.

Talks are also ongoing about modernising the back of the Govan Stand, currently used for corporate boxes, as well as the space currently occupied by the LED screens.

The most ambitious project would be lowering the pitch again, which last happened in the mid-nineties, although the level of the water table so close to the Clyde could be an issue.

Rangers managing director Stewart Robertson said: “It’s something we’re looking at just now. We won’t see anything as grand as another tier built on top of one of the existing stands.

“However, we are exploring ways we can add additional seating into the stadium. I don’t see it being another 10,000, it would maybe be low thousands.

“There are feasibility works going on at this moment and we’re probably two or three months away from knowing whether it will be possible or not.

“We’re working with a couple of consultancy firms to see what might be possible and to work out the financials on it.

“Ultimately, if the financial model doesn’t work and we don’t get payback on it then you could question why we’d would do it as it’s money that could be used elsewhere.

“However, we’re keen to explore it and see if it’s possible because the demand from fans has been phenomenal, absolutely incredible.

“There is no sign of that lessening in the short term and if we can do it it’s another investment to go into the club.”

Ibrox became the first modern, virtually all-seated stadium in British football history when it was extensively remodelled after the disaster of 1971.

Three new stands were opened in 1981, funded by the success of the club’s pools, and the club deck was added on top of the main stand in 1991 with almost half the £20 million cost coming from a fan debenture scheme.

The new Rangers board have spent extensively in the last three years bringing the ground back up to shape after it was neglected during the club’s recent financial crisis.

Robertson added: “Several millions have been invested and a lot of the work is unseen.

“If you don’t spend money on your house for a number of years you end up having to invest heavily and that’s the stage we’re at.

“We’ve done the necessary stuff over the last couple of years and now we’re onto the enhancements for the hospitality areas and the players’ lounge and lots of other different projects, with more to come.”
this is the stuff i want to see Stewart Robertson doing

Regarding funding. What about tying it in with stadium sponsorship? Say a 10 year deal for 20 -30 million?
Covers the cost of any redevelopment while the club still benefits from the increased revenue from the additional seating.

Haven't we recently appointed a new commercial director? Maybe see how good he can be.

Safe standing won’t increase the capacity. A ratio of more than 1 to 1 isn’t even on the radar.

It’s incredible how people are just ignoring this fact .

We’ve had the SLO confirm on this very thread that we cannot and will not as a club apply for or look into anything other than 1:1.

It’s been made crystal clear and yet people then go on regardless saying let’s increase it !

Then we have Robertson CATEGORICALLY stating there is no way a third tier will be added , cue people demanding a third tier and posting images of how it would look etc :oops::D

It’s madness.

Rules change and we should be at the forefront of changing them instead of just following liewell 4 years too late.

Im not arguing for a ratio of 1 to 1.8. Im suggesting a smaller increase of 1 to 1.2 which still adds 20% to the areas converted.

Why do we always drag our heels? Lets be pro active and push for change. It can be done.

Easier to explain this in person as was explained to me but without the depth where do the extra bodies go? Try and fit 5 guys into the spacing in 4 seats and it’s not comfortable - and wouldn’t match spectator regs (green guide is the key one in the UK)

A third tier to the Govan would be the ideal scenario but cost wise it isn’t going to happen.

Even if we can’t put seats where the big screens are I would love us to take them out and create two large platforms that could house food stalls, bars etc. I was recently at Orlando city game and in the corners were bars where you could still see the game

Ideally filling the corners in like Borussia Dortmund would be perfect but that will cost a lot of money. We need a title winning team first. If they can up the capacity In the mean time for a small outlay then that is fantastic.

I got you . Having sat in the front row , if they dug any deeper you literally wouldn’t see a thing .

Like Robertson said no new tiers or stand, I can’t see attaching anything to expand. The only space is the track. I sat second from front in GF1 never had an issue. Intrigued to know what the engineer consultants propose.

Like Robertson said no new tiers or stand, I can’t see attaching anything to expand. The only space is the track. I sat second from front in GF1 never had an issue. Intrigued to know what the engineer consultants propose.

Same . It may well be a case of put seats where we can as long as it’s acceptable , maybe not great but acceptable. Three rows extra in front of all three newer stands plus extra space for the handicapped in front of the enclosures could well be the answer .

The only thing is there’s a uefa ruling about how close the pitch can be to the stands - we’d need to check that first .

It'll be alterations of both stands behind the goals I reckon. Possibly changing the gradient of them to put seats in the gap which currently separates the front and rear sections and making them essentially single tier stands.

Not sure what that would add capacity wise. Maybe 1.5k each stand so 3k extra seats in total?

Maybe add onto both stands the way we built bar 72 seats onto the front of the Govan rear?

Im no expert but it seems to me that you could add additional rows if the rows were slightly shallower. Im not talking about a huge difference. Turn 5 rows into 6 therby adding 20%. Im sure there are architects out there that could do this easily. If not I'll get my daughter to do it.

With regards to cost. Of course it would be less expensive to install ss at 1 to 1 but the thread was about increasing capacity. Im suggesting the cheapest way to do this is through ss at a ratio greater than 1 to 1.

I appreciate there are legal and political hurdles to be overcome, just like our fanzone, but we seem to be making some progress in the political sphere.

I dont see any real viable alternatives if we want to increase capacity.

Sorry mate, from what @Greg Marshall seems to be saying we would need to DEEPEN the terraces to go beyond 1:1 so making them shallower would not work. If I'm reading it correctly. That's if the regulation-makers would even give authority to go beyond 1:1.

I'm not against your idea per se, I actually think it a better option that the rather fanciful idea of additional tiers, but its more about the practicalities. I just don't see us being able to get around the issues I've highlighted.

Quite honestly, I'm not in any way hung-up about our capacity or any need to increase it. I think its fine at its current capacity. Doing something to help the atmosphere - and your SS idea is a winner there - would be more significant to me than the capacity. Even at 1:1.

EDIT: Rather than all the ideas about seating around the screens or replacing them, surely the more obvious gaps to fill would be on the Main Stand side. I've read notions about wind getting in etc preventing this but other stadia manage with an enclosed space just fine. I come back to my earlier point nevertheless, restoring a dominant team on the pitch trumps any of this for me. Then we can look at Stadium upgrades.

Last edited:
Sorry mate, from what @Greg Marshall seems to be saying we would need to DEEPEN the terraces to go beyond 1:1 so making them shallower would not work. If I'm reading it correctly.

I'm not against your idea per se, I actually think it a better option that the rather fanciful idea of additional tiers, but its more about the practicalities. I just don't see us being able to get around the issues I've highlighted.

Quite honestly, I'm not in any way hung-up about our capacity or any need to increase it. I think its fine at its current capacity. Doing something to help the atmosphere - and your SS idea is a winner there - would be more significant to me than the capacity. Even at 1:1.

A better atmosphere although welcomed will not help us bridge the financial gap an extra 10k in capacity gives the mentally challenged.

Extending capacity and hospitality will.

I think Dave King gets a very easy ride from a lot of forelock-tuggers on here but comparing his style to Murray's is miles off target. Murray loved the attention, the profile, the interviews with the media. Dave King doesn't even live on the same continent and while he might be prone to the odd misstep when he does speak he hardly ever gives interviews.

Davy King is a Rangers supporter.....

David Murray is an Ayr Utd. Supporter

A better atmosphere although welcomed will not help us bridge the financial gap an extra 10k in capacity gives the mentally challenged.

Extending capacity and hospitality will.

So - somehow - we get authority to stretch to a 1:8 safe standing area. You don't think the Dhims will go down exactly the same route? It's not a pissing contest about who has the higher capacity.

The cost of all the other proposals renders them totally unfeasible at the present time. In fact, a new Stadium with suitable sponsorship would probably be a more cost-effective model and there is limited support for that idea.

Here's another - we can 'close the financial gap' by keeping the same capacity and charging more. Popular?

A £10 once a year from thousands of visitors will not make up for the 3-5k times £450 per year that the extra seats would bring in.

It will all depend if it is feasible.

I wasn't arguing against this point. Both ideas should be looked at. I am all for the extra capacity, the bigger Ibrox is the better.

How good would a museum be also though? To say there is zero demand for a museum was the point I was arguing against. Most big European teams have a museum. I have been to a couple and done right can only add to the match day / Rangers experience. Also any added revenue can only be a good thing.

It wouldn’t make any money. There is no footfall other than a match day. Stadium tours don’t generate enough people to make it viable. It’s been Looked at many times by the club, it’s not financially viable irrespective of the wailing and gnashing of teeth from folk on here.

It doesn't have to be open every day though. Or if it is open for the tour hours, part time contracts and match days.

Yes it would cost to renovate however I can't imagine the wages would be huge and would easily be covered by the match day visitors.

Would be great if this happened I'm due to come into a bit of money and will be joining the waiting list for a season ticket. I've never had the money to afford one before but usual for me when the time comes to finally buy one there's a massive waiting list lol

Club thinking we are stupid?
Thought we had seen the end of the moonbeans days.
Extra 5000 seats yet no additional tier.
Paul Daniels stuff.

I don't think there is any question that the board have an appetite for it. In all the times in recent years, there is a business case for it.

One the one hand, the logistics of developing Ibrox again are a nightmare, on the other, the same capacity & waiting list for 3 more years means we'll have left £20m-£25m on the table in people ready to pay for season tickets that we can't accommodate.

The cheapest way would be to make the front of the broomland and Copland road standing. I know there are problems regarding getting this done,but I'm just saying without UEFA rules,which may one day be changed,who knows.
There are so many people standing at games now,it seems ridiculous to have all these seats in sections of the grounds and they aren't getting used.
Regarding safety,it wasn't the standing that was the problem,it was the entry and exits to the grounds. There will be older bears on here that remember leaving the Copland road and the very steep steps down. After the disaster,until they rebuilt the ground there was a wall put up before the steps to break the flow of supporters when leaving. As for Hillsborough, that was a police balls up opening the gates and no one inside to direct the fans,that and the fencing contributed to that,leaving trapped fans nowhere to go.
I know It wouldn't happen,but if it's to be done with little cost and create a better atmosphere,I see it as the best solution

What about a redesign of the enclosures, the back row is currently under the main stand, raise it up until is sits just in front of the iron front of the main stand. Have as many rows as you can to the minimum distance allowed to the park, have the rows slightly curved at the sides. I’m sure we could fit more in.

Back