Ibrox capacity increase

Think big, every problem has a solution. There will always be doom merchants and naysayers but Rangers are on the up and the time is now. As someone who has failed to get a season ticket ,leaving a disappointed kid, I say take a chance and increase big.

I wouldnt waste time on here talking about them and catching up with their capacity. They have the main stand which could be built up to fall in line with the rest of their midden. Would be far too costly for rangers to build up the way.
At least 5,000 or not worth bothering about. I would be quite happy to see the screens go,no need for them,after all the reason for going is watching live football.
I'm no engineer,so don't have a clue about the cost of filling in the corners,but would certainly like too see it. Money into the team must come first for the time being though.

To be clear, I was not putting forward “my idea” or “my plan”; I ain’t no structural engineer etc! I was passing comment on what I understand the club is looking at. The club has been looking at it for at least a few months and a key part of it would involve filling in the two corners and taking away the big screens etc. I know that from having spoken to someone who is involved in looking at it all.

Appreciate your reply . What is he saying about where the screens will go and how we get round our fans sitting directly above the away section ?

Ok mate . Did he mention a possible bar72 type extension to the broomloan and Copland ? I think that’s a posssibility more than filling in corners tbh

The screens will move to the roofs on the Broomloan and Copland stand directly above the goals just like many other grounds already have.

The Broomloan and Copland Stands are a different design and construction to the Govan, it's not possible to replicate Bar72 style seating in either stand.

Sounds like an old school David Murray moonbeam after the PR debacle that was the Sports Direct ruling.

My immediate thought too.

I feel like we’ve been over the same debate time and time and time again on FF regarding stadium expansion.

It ain’t happening.

The screens will move to the roofs on the Broomloan and Copland stand directly above the goals just like many other grounds already have.

The Broomloan and Copland Stands are a different design and construction to the Govan, it's not possible to replicate Bar72 style seating in either stand.

I know you have a keen interest in our disabled facilities. Do you know if this 'feasibility study' has included provision to look at adequate - at the very least - facilities/seating areas for our disabled fans?

Rather than half-arse it, I'd rather we waiting until we are regularly in the mix for the CL, as well as developing a system where we are regular able to sell our players to English clubs for big money before we do any serious changes to our stadium.

The same screens or newer , lightweight ones presumably ? I’m sure the ones we have are designed to be mounted , whereas specific screen designs now are lighter and can be hung

I know you have a keen interest in our disabled facilities. Do you know if this 'feasibility study' has included provision to look at adequate - at the very least - facilities/seating areas for our disabled fans?

Yes there are various options being looked at. It's a very comprehensive study that's taking place and it's safe to say that not all options may be technically or financially feasible. I'm sure when the plans are finally released the fans will be happy.

The same screens or newer , lightweight ones presumably ? I’m sure the ones we have are designed to be mounted , whereas specific screen designs now are lighter and can be hung

IIRC it's feasible to place the current screens on the Broomloan and Copland roofs, though personally I think it would be better to install new widescreen screens.

In the UK it’s 1 to 1

At present it is, but just a couple of years ago safe standing wasnt allowed at all. There's no reason why we cant argue to change the rules again to bring them in line with other european countries.

I remember a time when pubs couldnt open on a sunday and closing time was 10pm. Things change.

At present it is, but just a couple of years ago safe standing wasnt allowed at all. There's no reason why we cant argue to change the rules again to bring them in line with other european countries.

I remember a time when pubs couldnt open on a sunday and closing time was 10pm. Things change.

Pedantic I know but the Dhims had the SS installed for the start of the 16-17 season I think, so just going into their 4th season with it.

I’ve not been involved in the technical side of the safe standing discussions but the clubs info is that 1 to 1 would be our only option there based on the current rules and guidelines.

The 1:1.8 comes when the row is deep enough for a supporter to stand behind but in between two supporters who are in the standard ‘seats’. Our rows aren’t particularly deep so that doesn’t match the criteria for 1:1.8

Im not suggesting 1 to 1.8 so there's no need to have 2 supporters on each step. Simply create more steps slightly smaller than the current ones. It not that easy to explain without a drawing so I understand the confusion.

Pedantic I know but the Dhims had the SS installed for the start of the 16-17 season I think, so just going into their 4th season with it.

You are correct. They were granted a 3 year trial period but that was just a ruse to prevent us from doing the same. Liewell gave us more credit tham we deserved. We're now heading for 4 years behind on ss.

Yes there are various options being looked at. It's a very comprehensive study that's taking place and it's safe to say that not all options may be technically or financially feasible. I'm sure when the plans are finally released the fans will be happy.

You've done well over the years to keep this on the agenda. Seems like your efforts are bearing fruit at last.

You seem to be ITK on this one . When can we expect the plans to be announced bud ?

You do understand SRs statement saying we are looking to see if feasible and cost prohibitive?

I might be wrong but I think that SR was a member of a board that ceded their vote on Rangers participation in top flight football for - for 4 seasons - to a handful of fućkwits in theirfan group.

The average season ticket sold for £328 (£273 after VAT) based on the most up to date audited records available., fair play if SR can increase the capacity with zero risk to the monies available for the betterment of Rangers first team.

In the original " Blue Heaven" plans the screens were never ment to be there.

It was seats all the way. 58k rings a bell.

The screens are damn eyesore. Never ever any need for those at all.

The original plans that appeared in that brochure were an artists inpression before any engineering calculations had taken place.

They show a small pillar in place of the black goalposts frames.

When it was looked properly, they realised the number of restricted view seats if the corners were filled entirely with seats would render the plan pointless so the top tier had to be boxed off and the screens were added.

You are correct. They were granted a 3 year trial period but that was just a ruse to prevent us from doing the same. Liewell gave us more credit tham we deserved. We're now heading for 4 years behind on ss.

FWIW Celtic looked into safe standing as far back as 2008 but they couldn't do anything as standing wasn't allowed under the SPL, in 2013 when SPFL was created it abolished that rule and allowed them to try for it took another 21/2 years before been granted it by GCC and was installed in time for 2016/17 for the '3 year trial'

What we don't know is at what stage did we consider this? If the 'trial' prevented us from do it not much we can do, from now on yes since it now ended

It’s incredible how people are just ignoring this fact .

We’ve had the SLO confirm on this very thread that we cannot and will not as a club apply for or look into anything other than 1:1.

It’s been made crystal clear and yet people then go on regardless saying let’s increase it !

Then we have Robertson CATEGORICALLY stating there is no way a third tier will be added , cue people demanding a third tier and posting images of how it would look etc :oops::D

It’s madness.

Do you remember the 'obstacles' put in the way of moving the tims out of the Broomloan? We had everything from our safety certificate depending on it right down to it spoiling the atmosphere. We even had statements from Dave King saying it couldnt be done. Look how that turned out.

FWIW Celtic looked into safe standing as far back as 2008 but they couldn't do anything as standing wasn't allowed under the SPL, in 2013 when SPFL was created it abolished that rule and allowed them to try for it took another 21/2 years before been granted it by GCC and was installed in time for 2016/17 for the '3 year trial'

What we don't know is at what stage did we consider this? If the 'trial' prevented us from do it not much we can do, from now on yes since it now ended

Nice summary.

Zzzzz.

Big difference between “looking in to” and actually doing. See Safe Standing for any queries.

Zzzzz.

Big difference between “looking in to” and actually doing. See Safe Standing for any queries.

We're like a big oil tanker trying to change direction. We're slow and cumbersome but we're getting there. Dont give up.

Might seem a minor issue but it bugs me that there are gaps between the Copland, Broomloan and Main Stands. Would be good to have them filled, would make Ibrox seem more like a fortress where there is no escape for the opposition. Sound will be escaping out of there too.

I also love the Megabrox, three tiered stands symmetrical all the way around, 80,000 on a European night singing No Surrender, opposition terrified.

Not feasible I know, just let me dream!

Do you remember the 'obstacles' put in the way of moving the tims out of the Broomloan? We had everything from our safety certificate depending on it right down to it spoiling the atmosphere. We even had statements from Dave King saying it couldnt be done. Look how that turned out.

It didn’t cost the club a penny though . That’s the bottom line why it was done . If it had done, we’d still have 8000 animals at every Ibrox old firm game .

This is entirely different . This is going to cost money .

Time to put it on the radar perhaps. A few years ago safe standing wasnt on the radar.

The Rangers SLO is on this thread, he’s said it’s not in their plans. You either can’t or won’t grasp what has been said.

It doesn't have to be open every day though. Or if it is open for the tour hours, part time contracts and match days.

Yes it would cost to renovate however I can't imagine the wages would be huge and would easily be covered by the match day visitors.

For it to be done properly and not in the manor you suggest it would cost money. It needs to be pretty spectacular to attract people. And how do you know it won’t cost much with wages? The fully burdened cost of 3 people at 23k per year is probably about £120k. The. You’ve got to power it, heat it, clean it, maintain it , pay rates on it, secure it.

Match days yes I’m sure it will be busy but let’s be really honest, the local area isn’t a tourist attraction of any kind any other day of the week.

It’s a vanity project and unless it’s self sustaining then there’s no good business reason to pursue it.

it’s not only the Revenue it will bring to Rangers, if you bring an other 5k to 10k supporters to Ibrox the local Community will also benefit from this, there will be more demand for Rangers boozers beside Ibrox, more demand for hotels, taxis, shops etc this will benefit the whole Glasgow as a whole.

Think some people are off their heads on here.

The bottom line is a 50,817 capacity Ibrox IS TOO SMALL FOR A CLUB LIKE RANGERS.

We should be doing everything we can to increase the capacity of the stadium. Knock the brick walls down at the corners and build back to right under the glass windows below the screens like how it is under the Sandy Jardine Stand.

The brick walls are an eyesore as well, at least Chelsea had the good sense to paint theirs blue!

I'm sure this could add perhaps another 3,000 to our capacity. Its still something guys, better than the way it is now.

If we can get a better than 1-1 ratio on safe standing l would make one of the end stands all one tier and safe standing. Obviously have to consider people who have seasons there but an Ibrox safe standing wall would create some atmosphere

If we can get a better than 1-1 ratio on safe standing l would make one of the end stands all one tier and safe standing. Obviously have to consider people who have seasons there but an Ibrox safe standing wall would create some atmosphere

We cant .

Back