Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

I'm sorry but Celtics scandal for me differs completely from Chelsea and Man City. I don't know all the facts a out the English clubs, but the reason celtic can't just say sorry and pay out a few quid is that they knew, they knew children were being abused and they done nothing. Worse than nothing, they allowed it to continue because it was in their best interests.

What good would an apology be now? They should be shut down. All this Neely/Chalmers/Gough stuff is ridiculous. If there is any evidence let's see it or %^*& off.

I think, and this is only my opinion, that directors at Celtic were happy to turn a blind eye to kids being abused because it lined their pockets. One look at the board of directors at the trophy centre is all the evidence of that.

At the end of the day, it's up to the survivors and their families what they want out of this, but for me? An apology and a compensation scheme? That ship sailed 25 years ago. Rats.

The longer he takes to act, the more I lose confidence in him.

Most if not all the victims will have come forward by now one would hope. Why this seemingly continued hesitation?

Repetitive statements saying he is going to act are becoming hollow.

Time to put the boot in.

I don’t often disagree with you mate, but here I do.

It’s death by a thousand cuts. Every week there are another couple of new articles by Marc, or the odd other paper & we are still months away from the documentary that will be shown UK wide with a starring role for our enemies.

It’ll be I expect spoken about in every workplace around UK, and the worst of them all will be absolutely slaughtered by any decent British person.

I really hope & expect that this country will be embarrassed for THEIR cover up of the Celtic COVER UP.

I'm sorry but Celtics scandal for me differs completely from Chelsea and Man City. I don't know all the facts a out the English clubs, but the reason celtic can't just say sorry and pay out a few quid is that they knew, they knew children were being abused and they done nothing. Worse than nothing, they allowed it to continue because it was in their best interests.

What good would an apology be now? They should be shut down. All this Neely/Chalmers/Gough stuff is ridiculous. If there is any evidence let's see it or %^*& off.

I think, and this is only my opinion, that directors at Celtic were happy to turn a blind eye to kids being abused because it lined their pockets. One look at the board of directors at the trophy centre is all the evidence of that.

At the end of the day, it's up to the survivors and their families what they want out of this, but for me? An apology and a compensation scheme? That ship sailed 25 years ago. Rats.

Agree. A full public Inquiry is essential, at the very least to weed out the remaining paedophiles yet to be convicted from the list of 14.

They still live in our country right now probably.

It’s death by a thousand cuts. Every week there are another couple of new articles by Marc, or the odd other paper & we are still months away from the documentary that will be shown UK wide with a starring role for our enemies.

It’ll be I expect spoken about in every workplace around UK, and the worst of them all will be absolutely slaughtered by any decent British person.

I really hope & expect that this country will be embarrassed for THEIR cover up of the Celtic COVER UP.

The victims must receive the justice they rightfully deserve. I then want them all that knew publicly named and shamed for their complicity and silence regarding the horrific crimes committed. Kelly, Stein, McNeil, the lot of them, and when they are, we then proceed to have them removed from the SFA Hall of Fame.

As is your right mate.

We have heard similar wording for months from him. Regurgitation in effect.

This is the 1st time I feel unsure with him.

Backed him 100% from the off, now having reservations and probably not the only one.

C'mon Patrick, prove me wrong, please.

Incredible work guys.

What’s McGuires play here? Is there something still holding things up? Is he just going to keep waiting?

Is he just hoping for a wee under the table payout so he can get some money and his team goes relatively unscathed?

I’m really hoping he’s not after a wee back street deal mate.

A full public inquiry will both get the victims justice & closure in a very public way, while allowing the world to see why CFC are truly ‘a club like no other’.

Stating the obvious with no direction....patrick mc guire wants the celtic fans to demand action?...the same fans who incite sectarianism with their banners and hang effigies of protestants from their stsnds for the world to see....do us a favour.
Mc guire should be leading the way and now is the time to be dragging this club and its reputation through the courts of law,with EVERY victim compensated and EVERY last piece of damning evidence produced in court from 1966 onwards FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE....this club and its abusers,facilitators and enablers are scotlands and worlds shame and the SNP and POLICE SCOTLAND ,who continue to ignore and refuse a public inquiry or investigate,are just as GUILTY & CULPABLE,they too are scotlands and the worlds shame.
So c'mon mc guire,what are you waiting for?..get into court and destroy and slay the beasts and hopefully the americans will join you in the slaughter.

Excellent post Tommy. I'm in full agreement if he has all of the evidence required to make this stick.

If so, he should stop faffing about now and drag them kicking and screaming through the courts . The other culprits can follow thereafter. If not, then we have to wait.

I certainly don't want anything less than a solid case made against these parasites, but I think McGuire is starting to lose his shine somewhat and it's beginning to look like more about him than the victims. He's got me a little worried now.

Stating the obvious with no direction....patrick mc guire wants the celtic fans to demand action?...the same fans who incite sectarianism with their banners and hang effigies of protestants from their stsnds for the world to see....do us a favour.
Mc guire should be leading the way and now is the time to be dragging this club and its reputation through the courts of law,with EVERY victim compensated and EVERY last piece of damning evidence produced in court from 1966 onwards FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE....this club and its abusers,facilitators and enablers are scotlands and worlds shame and the SNP and POLICE SCOTLAND ,who continue to ignore and refuse a public inquiry or investigate,are just as GUILTY & CULPABLE,they too are scotlands and the worlds shame.
So c'mon mc guire,what are you waiting for?..get into court and destroy and slay the beasts and hopefully the americans will join you in the slaughter.
That’s not going to happen as mob rule would intimidate any fan who put his head above the parapet and cause the mothership of any wrongdoing

As is your right mate.

We have heard similar wording for months from him. Regurgitation in effect.

This is the 1st time I feel unsure with him.

Backed him 100% from the off, now having reservations and probably not the only one.

C'mon Patrick, prove me wrong, please.

I get your point. Felt pretty frustrated at that article too.

These victims want more than money nowadays. Many of them want a very public inquiry & apology.

He seems to want his cash & to move on. Sounds like it’s hurting him fighting his own club. Mind you he will be getting real shit from the great unwashed at a personal level.

Can you imagine the sheer living hell the panel that are charged with the public enquiry will be put through?

They'll have to go in to protective custody or be completely anonymous.

A judge ruling against that seedy sordid entity will have a contract out on him by the IRA.

Agree. A full public Inquiry is essential, at the very least to weed out the remaining paedophiles yet to be convicted from the list of 14.

They still live in our country right now probably.
I'm all for a full, open inquiry into child abuse in Scottish football. Let's include every team the length and breadth of the country. Let's find out who knew what and when did they know it. Why not also find out if individuals went out of their way to conceal and cover up these heinous crimes against children, for any number of reasons, whether to protect clubs or friends or family or even business partners?

Let everyone put their cards on the fucking table, for justice for the, now adults(those still alive) and you know what? This poxy shithole country might be a little safer tomorrow for our children.

Purple broomloan for the scum game.

I'm all for a full, open inquiry into child abuse in Scottish football. Let's include every team the length and breadth of the country. Let's find out who knew what and when did they know it. Why not also find out if individuals went out of their way to conceal and cover up these heinous crimes against children, for any number of reasons, whether to protect clubs or friends or family or even business partners?

Let everyone put their cards on the fucking table, for justice for the, now adults(those still alive) and you know what? This poxy shithole country might be a little safer tomorrow for our children.

Purple broomloan for the scum game.

Agree.

Can you imagine the sheer living hell the panel that are charged with the public enquiry will be put through?

They'll have to go in to protective custody or be completely anonymous.

A judge ruling against that seedy sordid entity will have a contract out on him by the IRA.

You may have a point mate. Remember the threats made to Gazza for his flute playing impersonation?

I get your point. Felt pretty frustrated at that article too.

These victims want more than money nowadays. Many of them want a very public inquiry & apology.

He seems to want his cash & to move on. Sounds like it’s hurting him fighting his own club. Mind you he will be getting real shit from the great unwashed at a personal level.

That is his firms speciality mate, compensation.

He is definitely talking about them in warm terms now also. Why so?

I hope the victims get all they wish from this, he will be rewarded handsomely for his endeavours.

The longer he takes to act, the more I lose confidence in him.

Most if not all the victims will have come forward by now one would hope. Why this seemingly continued hesitation?

Repetitive statements saying he is going to act are becoming hollow.

Time to put the boot in.
There will be an arbitrary date set by Thompson's, after which they won't take any more cases. This date won't be publicised because eit may be fluid, based on things like other ongoing cases currently being prosecuted - once the beast is jailed then more victims might come forward.

Also, the statements from Thompson's may be an attempt to encourage more to come forward.

This is, and never was, going to be a quick thing, and given that we want justice for as many of the victims as possible, it shouldn't be rushed.

Incredible work guys.

What’s McGuires play here? Is there something still holding things up? Is he just going to keep waiting?

Is he just hoping for a wee under the table payout so he can get some money and his team goes relatively unscathed?
I think they (Thompson, pronouns pal) have to give Celtic every opportunity to settle out of court, otherwise it is not looked on favourably in terms of compensation chasing.

Last edited:
There will be an arbitrary date set by Thompson's, after which they won't take any more cases. This date won't be publicised because eit may be fluid, based on things like other ongoing cases currently being prosecuted - once the beast is jailed then more victims might come forward.

Also, the statements from Thompson's may be an attempt to encourage more to come forward.

This is, and never was, going to be a quick thing, and given that we want justice for as many of the victims as possible, it shouldn't be rushed.

Other than this phantom bheast on the run mate, there are no pending prosecutions, are there?

This particular story seems a distraction.

We just hear the same ol', same ol' from him.

Whilst I appreciate this is time consuming, he should be serving some meat on the bones now when he speaks.

I don't see Liewell shitting it when McGuire speaks to the press, Pedo's attention/concern will be what's coming from elsewhere.

That is his firms speciality mate, compensation.

He is definitely talking about them in warm terms now also. Why so?

I hope the victims get all they wish from this, he will be rewarded handsomely for his endeavours.
I have no problem with the solicitors only being interested in the money, after all, that's their bread and butter. However, under no circumstances should celtic be able to issue an apology, pay out some cash and walk away from this. Had they done so in the 90's,when all this should have been dealt with appropriately, then I could maybe accept it, but it's been 25 years of denials and cover ups of abuse that spans 50 years. If this was happening in a third world country we would laugh at the absurdity of it. The time for apologies is long gone. For me, full expulsion from Scottish football, anything less is a half measure.

I have no problem with the solicitors only being interested in the money, after all, that's their bread and butter. However, under no circumstances should celtic be able to issue an apology, pay out some cash and walk away from this. Had they done so in the 90's,when all this should have been dealt with appropriately, then I could maybe accept it, but it's been 25 years of denials and cover ups of abuse that spans 50 years. If this was happening in a third world country we would laugh at the absurdity of it. The time for apologies is long gone. For me, full expulsion from Scottish football, anything less is a half measure.

I want their ground blown up mate and them expunged from the record books.

The lawyers are after compensation and rightly so.

What about all the criminality for those decades, what lawyers are going to the PF and what are they doing?

I'm posting honestly and asking genuine questions Bears.

If we don't, who will?

Other than this phantom bheast on the run mate, there are no pending prosecutions, are there?

This particular story seems a distraction.

We just hear the same ol', same ol' from him.

Whilst I appreciate this is time consuming, he should be serving some meat on the bones now when he speaks.

I don't see Liewell shitting it when McGuire speaks to the press, Pedo's attention/concern will be what's coming from elsewhere.
What meat should he be serving?

Personally I would rather that as many victims as possible got the justice they deserved.

Torbett was sentenced at the start of November. The same week was the first public statement by McGuire.

In legal terms, it's been no time at all. Whether you or I think it's moving too slow is irrelevant - the only opinion that matters is that of the victims

What meat should he be serving?

Personally I would rather that as many victims as possible got the justice they deserved.

Torbett was sentenced at the start of November. The same week was the first public statement by McGuire.

In legal terms, it's been no time at all. Whether you or I think it's moving too slow is irrelevant - the only opinion that matters is that of the victims

Give us substance in what he says.

Reveal the extent of the number of victims thus far (sheer scale and counting), give an idea when he would expect formal action against them. Something to inspire, lift the spirits of the victims and supporters and set the beads rattling in the pineapples.

Cat among the pigeons and put them on the back foot.

I want their ground blown up mate and them expunged from the record books.

The lawyers are after compensation and rightly so.

What about all the criminality for those decades, what lawyers are going to the PF and what are they doing?

I'm posting honestly and asking genuine questions Bears.

If we don't, who will?

And.......

You want to dance on their graves?

Give us substance in what he says.

Reveal the extent of the number of victims thus far (sheer scale and counting), give an idea when he would expect formal action against them. Something to inspire, lift the spirits of the victims and supporters and set the beads rattling in the pineapples.

Cat among the pigeons and put them on the back foot.
Again, just opinions, but I wouldn't tell them when to expect formal action for a few reasons:

1) let Celtic FC (the club which has done more to hide a paedophile ring than any other) play it down in their own minds. It'll hurt them more when they don't expect it.

2) judges don't particularly like ambulance chasers. By aggressively pursuing compensation, and not playing nice in public, they risk turning any potential judge against them from the get go.

3) if I were a victim, I'd rather know that they were taking their time and making sure they had every angle covered, as opposed to public statements designed to put the shiters up Celtic FC.

Each individual claim they receive will need to be investigated to an extent in order to prove veracity. To do this is going to take significant time.

Again, just opinions, but I wouldn't tell them when to expect formal action for a few reasons:

1) let Celtic FC (the club which has done more to hide a paedophile ring than any other) play it down in their own minds. It'll hurt them more when they don't expect it.

2) judges don't particularly like ambulance chasers. By aggressively pursuing compensation, and not playing nice in public, they risk turning any potential judge against them from the get go.

3) if I were a victim, I'd rather know that they were taking their time and making sure they had every angle covered, as opposed to public statements designed to put the shiters up Celtic FC.

Each individual claim they receive will need to be investigated to an extent in order to prove veracity. To do this is going to take significant time.

Fine post Rick.

On points..

1) They are playing it down in their minds, almost to the point of denial. Give them worry and put further focus on them asking further questions of them in doing so.

2) Celtic are proven already to be unreasonable, look at what they do say and then invariably unavailable for comment or decline to, same shite from them.

3) They are certainly taking their time, if I were a victim I would feel assured in that. I would also like to see my lawyer absolutely put the frighteners up them, without revealing his hand. Subtle can be powerful.

I honestly feel he could be more forthright and at them a little more with his speak.

Fine post Rick.

On points..

1) They are playing it down in their minds, almost to the point of denial. Give them worry and put further focus on them asking further questions of them in doing so.

2) Celtic are proven already to be unreasonable, look at what they do say and then invariably unavailable for comment or decline to, same shite from them.

3) They are certainly taking their time, if I were a victim I would feel assured in that. I would also like to see my lawyer absolutely put the frighteners up them, without revealing his hand. Subtle can be powerful.

I honestly feel he could be more forthright and at them a little more with his speak.
I would hope that every single non-comment/denied comment etc is logged with dates and times - the more they try to deny it in the press, the more it will hurt them when it does reach court. Also the public refusal to acknowledge Thompson's doesn't mean they're not necessarily making offers out of the public eye. I don't think they are, but we can't go solely on what is being played out in public.

As far as the comments from others in the thread go, is there anything to actually suggest McGuire is some sort of Celtic/RC plant beyond the perceived heritage attached to his name? I think it hurts the credibility of the good work so many are doing if we let that sort of narrative grow.

I would hope that every single non-comment/denied comment etc is logged with dates and times - the more they try to deny it in the press, the more it will hurt them when it does reach court. Also the public refusal to acknowledge Thompson's doesn't mean they're not necessarily making offers out of the public eye. I don't think they are, but we can't go solely on what is being played out in public.

As far as the comments from others in the thread go, is there anything to actually suggest McGuire is some sort of Celtic/RC plant beyond the perceived heritage attached to his name? I think it hurts the credibility of the good work so many are doing if we let that sort of narrative grow.

Ok, I will be the one to ask the shit questions..

How long is this logging of info, dates times etc is needed?

Going from what PM has said, Celtic are acknowledging fu(k all, privately and publicly.

PM's company sponsor Radio Clyde I believe.

I have not questioned the mans faith or lack of it at any point, just his cosy intro to celtic in that statement.

Last edited:
Ok, I will be the one to ask the shit questions..

How long will this logging of info, dates times etc is needed?

Going from what PM has said, Celtic are acknowledging fu(k all, privately and publicly.

PM's company sponsor Radio Clyde I believe.

I have not questioned the mans faith or lack of it at any point, just his cosy intro to celtic in that statement.
All relevant questions and should be asked.

1) How long is a bit of string? The more evidence that is uncovered and show that they have been covering up and refusing to acknowledge, the worse it is for Celtic. Like I said earlier, whether you or I think it is moving fast enough is irrelevant. The victims are the only ones whose opinions on that matter.

2) again, as i said earlier, I think he had to give them every possible opportunity to come to the negotiating table

3) sponsor or advertise? Either way, means very little. It is Celtic he will be litigating. Not radio Clyde. Both organisations may share a customer base, but unlike CFC and CBC, they actually are separate entities.

4) I didn't say you had. You may see it as a cosy intro to celtic, others could see it as a different angle - trying to appeal to their brand values (as continually advertised by them).

We need to be patient. It's not about us. It's about the hundreds of victims who deserve justice.

@TinyRick I'm certain McGuire is a self proclaimed celtc supporter mate.

Ps: are you a Rick & Morty fan or a small guy called Richard? :)
Fair enough. I did some googling but couldn't find anything prior to asking. I still don't think suggesting that things are moving too slowly because of his alleged allegiances is the smart way to go. Provides unnecessary noise which allows those who want this thread to be debunked an easier route to do so.

I'm 6ft 4 and not called Richard, but I do enjoy Rick and Morty

All relevant questions and should be asked.

1) How long is a bit of string? The more evidence that is uncovered and show that they have been covering up and refusing to acknowledge, the worse it is for Celtic. Like I said earlier, whether you or I think it is moving fast enough is irrelevant. The victims are the only ones whose opinions on that matter.

2) again, as i said earlier, I think he had to give them every possible opportunity to come to the negotiating table

3) sponsor or advertise? Either way, means very little. It is Celtic he will be litigating. Not radio Clyde. Both organisations may share a customer base, but unlike CFC and CBC, they actually are separate entities.

4) I didn't say you had. You may see it as a cosy intro to celtic, others could see it as a different angle - trying to appeal to their brand values (as continually advertised by them).

We need to be patient. It's not about us. It's about the hundreds of victims who deserve justice.

I've never said it's about us nor do I believe I'm showing impatience.

Time is moving on and he's saying the same things. That time may be slow in legal circles but in the real world, you try saying the same thing for 9 or 10 months on a situation at your work..

He has definitely changed his tone towards celtic and that is suspicious to me, maybe just me but it stood out.

I see no need for it at all.

@Reformer I've experience of our legal system as a 'pursuer' in a straightforward case. It took me nearly 10 years to get a result.

During that period I came to realise that Our legal system is awash with Tim's.

Fully aware of that GG.

From Frankie Bhoy Mulholland in the day all the way down.

Most of the top/good lawyers are not from our community/background either.

Simply put, McGuire should've gone more on the attack, with no soft soaping of them.

He is pursuing them, create impetus, reveal a little and see momentum grow from it.

It's visible to all how things grow on here, sometimes just from an email or an address.

He could accelerate the process I think.

Time is moving on and he's saying the same things. That time may be slow in legal circles but in the real world, you try saying the same thing for 9 or 10 months on a situation at your work..
The NHS isn't known for its speed either mate.

He could accelerate the process I think.
Or, he could fućk the whole process by going too hard/fast. How many victims are there? I don't know the answer, but I do know how people deal with grief due to my own work, and while some may come to terms with what happened to them fairly quickly, others take much longer, and the recent trials etc may have affected that process for them (or in some cases, started that process after decades of repressing). Do they not deserve the same opportunity to seek justice as part of the headline grabbing class action?

What of the other names on the McSherry/Birt list?

Theres a hell of a lot to be played out yet.

He has definitely changed his tone towards celtic and that is suspicious to me, maybe just me but it stood out.
I've looked at the most recent statement again to see if I was missing something.

He starts basically, by trying to appeal to the better nature (yeah, I know) of Celtic fans to try and get them to force their club's hand.

He certainly doesn't pull many punches after that. Even in the sentence which mentions the contentious egalitarian aims, he states that the separate entity defence is 'hideously cruel to the survivors' and that it 'insults the intelligence of every fan and the public' and is 'a stain on the reputation' of what they promote their historical aims.

That's followed up with him telling us about city and Chelsea hiring QCs to do a fully independent review, transparent and pulling no punches, whereas 'we know nothing about who is conducting Celtic's review'.

Finally he comments that secrecy and deflection stop survivors from getting an apology and closure, before calling on celtic to do the right thing.

I don't think he was overly soft at all.

Back