Rangers braced for bombshell punishment over sectarian singing (vs St Joseph’s at Ibrox)

You've just proved my point - you love the words of a song more than Rangers.

The songs in bold that you mention - how many of them have we been charged by UEFA for singing?

There is a difference between what moonhowlers say and what we can actually get in bother for.
These moon bowlers literally got the definition of a word changed and we’ve been punished because of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...inging-the-hokey-cokey-could-land-1002751.amp

If you believe them to be incapable of going the same again then you are a fool.

And I don’t love songs more than Rangers I love the rights of Rangers fans and freedom of speech more but the absolutely horrendously pathetic and cowardly modern day society seems to have large swathes who don’t understand he importance of freedom of speech.

Yet here we are, punished for songs, once again - and you're campaigning that we basically just say "%^*& it" and keep singing them anyway - absolutely beyond the pale.
I’m saying hat our board should coming out fighting with factual information and appeal it, we tried the handwringer route with TBB, STB and the famine song and it hasn’t worked.

I doubt there is a fan on here who has not sang TBB at Ibrox in their lifetime but times are changing we now live in a world where people are easily offended by anything.
Wether we like it our not this is not going to change and we will have to bite the bullet and conform,I might be a older bear but I can understand the young ones getting upset with this when the offended are stopping them singing songs their forefathers sang with pride but this the world we live in now.

I have never and will never sing TBB. I don’t sing GSTQ either. I know I’m in the minority as a (technically) Catholic Rangers fan who goes to Scotland and Rangers games. But surely most of us go to games to enjoy the game we love and not spew nonsense from the stands that has nothing to do with our club.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the club with something like 13 UEFA charges over their fans has never had such a punishment?
No, but they had to replay a match in another country in the 80s then played the next seasons first home European game behind closed doors as a result of their fans' misbehaviour

A lot of people are gunning for us. Which is why we need to wise up and stop providing the ammunition. Bobby Sands is dead, yet his memory lives on, primarily through elements of our support. THE IRONY. Practising Catholics within our playing squad, face having their faith assaulted on a regular basis by elements of their own support, 99.9% of which are not practising protestants. THE IRONY. It's time to stop empowering our many enemies.

I’m saying hat our board should coming out fighting with factual information and appeal it, we tried the handwringer route with TBB, STB and the famine song and it hasn’t worked.

All we got with those were fines from UEFA though. This is something now affecting fans going to games. Why defend the indefensible any longer?

the deem sectarian singing racist as per their rules

Is that right? Jesus, that point will be missed though it’s now “racist club” - pish.

What song was it? When was it? I sit in the Govan read and can’t remember anything?

No, we prefer to bend over and take it.

We do not engage in “racist behaviour” and the fact the club have actually posted that on the official website says it all for me.
The club never posted that Rangers supporters engaged in racist behaviour.

This is what the statement says 'UEFA has ruled that a group of Rangers supporters were guilty of racist behaviour – which includes sectarian singing – during the match against St Joseph’s at Ibrox on July 18'.

I get it man, I really do. Celtic sing and do what they want so people think we should get away with the same. The clubs been asking us to stop singing these songs since I got my ST 18 years ago.
At some point we need to stop, and also we need to fight against the fact that mob get away with it. But we can’t do that while still singing this kind of stuff.

This. We absolutely do need to fight our corner, but we can’t keep shooting ourselves in the foot in the meantime, it’s just moronic.

The songs that will harm the club in ten years are perfectly fine now. This is the mob that tried to frame the Hokey Kokey and Penny Arcade as sectarian. Don't give in to their bullshit.

You’re pissing in the wind with that attitude...and harming the club.

That match was the ridiculously hot day, was it not? I've never seen so much drunkenness around a home match as I did that night, the Euro neds were out in force and have cost us big time. I think the Billy Boys was sung early on in the match too?

All we got with those were fines from UEFA though. This is something now affecting fans going to games. Why defend the indefensible any longer?
Because he’s one of the indefensible, he’s admitted it already on the Ryan Jack song thread last week I believe

The Uefa provisions say the offence occurs where:

“one or more of a member association or club’s supporters engage in… behaviour which… insults the human dignity of a person or group of persons on whatever grounds, including skin colour, race, religion or ethnic origin”

The “F” word has been found to be racist and sectarian under Scots Law, so it’s hardly a surprise that it is being treated as such by UEFA, but in any event the UEFA regulations ban either. So this supposed distinction between whether the word is racist or sectarian is sophistry – using it puts us in breach of UEFA’s rules.

For a bit of context, a second offence will result in 1 match being played behind closed doors + 50,000 Euro fine. Any further offences beyond that will result in closed doors games, potential forfeiture of a match, deduction of points etc

One of the proudest things in recent years has been seeing the club back on the European stage after all the shite we’ve been through. It’s gutting that is at risk of being spoiled and that the club’s named is being blackened in this way by idiots.

Yes, I get that we are singled out, and I get that folk believe they should be able to sing what they like, but this isn’t an argument we’re going to win. The world has moved on and we are making ourselves an easy target for our enemies.

I hope to %^*& folk can now see fit to put the club ahead of themselves.

Finally, although the delay in proceedings does seem odd, in fact Levski Sofia also received the same punishment today for conduct during the first round qualifying match on 11th July.

It is not sophisty, our support being tarred as racist, should not be accepted. Catholicism is a religion... full stop. 19th Century Terrorist a derogatory term for Irish Catholics/ Nationalists. Meaning is important.

It can't be appealed. What do you propose, we take UEFA to the CAS or the European Court of Human Rights? Wise Up.

The whole basis of your argument is that the word 19th Century Terrorist isn't sectarian - unfortunately, it has been deemed as such and we will be punished accordingly. If you're argument is that "Well they call themselves it" I suppose it would be equally acceptable to start throwing the "N" word about too?

It's UEFA's baw, and UEFA's competition and we either play by their rules or we suffer the consequences.

The club never posted that Rangers supporters engaged in racist behaviour.

This is what the statement says 'UEFA has ruled that a group of Rangers supporters were guilty of racist behaviour – which includes sectarian singing – during the match against St Joseph’s at Ibrox on July 18'.
And we did not challenge “racist behaviour”? No, of course not.

There was sectarian singing, but there was no racist behaviour. This is now the headlines everywhere, big bad racist Rangers fans.

I don’t care what UEFA bracket it as, its wrong and should be challenged.

I have never and will never sing TBB. I don’t sing GSTQ either. I know I’m in the minority as a (technically) Catholic Rangers fan who goes to Scotland and Rangers games. But surely most of us go to games to enjoy the game we love and not spew nonsense from the stands that has nothing to do with our club.

I haven't sung TBB in years because it could harm our club. However, I will sing GSTQ as often as I can (usually once per game at the end). It's your perogative where you sing certain songs but I avoid anything with pope, priest, 19th Century Terrorist, famine. However, I've always been a fan of Derry's Walls/No Surrender which like the sash is in no way sectarian.

Also I went to court for singing Fathers Advice with the bobby sands add on at the piggery. Was found to have no case to answer as fathers advice is about the UVF which fought in the British Army and Bobby Sands was a convicted terrorist. Once again you seem ignorant on this issue and should maybe look into it more before contributing to a public debate on the matter.

I was also charged with singing Daddy’s Uniform on the same charge, also threw out so batter in troops we are allowed to sing these by the song nazis.

How about you go to a Rangers game and sing about Rangers?

Just saw this, depressing that it's got to this stage.

Gerrard calls for 4 stands to give the players everything, thinking it will increase our chances of getting a result. Therefore a stand being closed reduces our chances of getting to group stages, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that any further recruitment depends on EL progression. So if you follow that then those adamant they want to sing are damaging our chances of stopping 9IAR.

The word 19th Century Terrorist should never be heard in Ibrox again, if you really want to wind them up replace it with Peado if you must but ffs stop damaging our club.

It won't be IRA related....even UEFA wouldn't dare defend the IRA scum. No-one would touch that with a barge pole.

It will be the 19th Century Terrorist = RC pish.

Is that right? Jesus, that point will be missed though it’s now “racist club” - pish.

What song was it? When was it? I sit in the Govan read and can’t remember anything?

would imagine anything mentioning 19th Century Terrorists, popes etc are deemed to be it

Follow follow is a bit of an echo chamber when it comes to this subject.

I really hope yous understand that the majority opinion in here is miles apart from our away support no matter how much you’d wish that wasn’t the case.

The vast majority of the away support have absolutely zero interest in the handwringer route, no matter how much disdain our away support is shown on here we do not care.

Folk really need to start to separate issues with that on-going at the piggery.

It’s not a standpoint.

Sort our own shit out.

Sadly this thread shows that we’re heading towards a full stadium ban.

Too many supporters are unable to take responsibility for unacceptable behaviour in our own support, preferring instead to argue on technicalities or bleat about bias.

The songs are wrong. Bin them. It’s as simple as that.

Yeah, looks that way.

If you are of the "ah'll sing whit ah want" frame of mind...do it from home or the pub, Dave King doesn't want you at the match, neither does Gerrard.

Maybe all the I'll sing what I want crowd from the recent big thread will volunteer not to attend? No? Didnt think so.

Yeah, looks that way.

If you are of the "ag'll sing whit ah want" frame of mind...do it from home or the pub, Dave King doesn't want you at the match, neither does Gerrard.
Never mind King or Gerrard, Rangers Football Club does not want you at the game.

Here's the rub. TBB I heard one quiet rendition of at st Joe's toward the end of the game which died down

It was more widespread at the progres game.

I don't know about the Danes as I was away, others can enlighten

Expect to get through against legia then have 1 or more games in the group stages behind closed doors. That's a massive kick in the financial cahonies just because people want to be staunch.

It can't be appealed. What do you propose, we take UEFA to the CAS or the European Court of Human Rights? Wise Up.

The whole basis of your argument is that the word 19th Century Terrorist isn't sectarian - unfortunately, it has been deemed as such and we will be punished accordingly. If you're argument is that "Well they call themselves it" I suppose it would be equally acceptable to start throwing the "N" word about too?

It's UEFA's baw, and UEFA's competition and we either play by their rules or we suffer the consequences.
It’s not the word ‘19th Century Terrorist’which is offensive it’s the word that follows which makes it offensive.

I really hope yous understand that the majority opinion in here is miles apart from our away support no matter how much you’d wish that wasn’t the case.

The vast majority of the away support have absolutely zero interest in the handwringer route, no matter how much disdain our away support is shown on here we do not care.
If the away fans are unable to behave and act in a way that results in us losing points or being disqualified from Europe, the Club will eventually refuse to take away tickets.

The away support will eventually comply, one way or another.

The simple fact is that the fans are to blame here and they are the people that have cost the club a full house and additional revenue for the away leg. Not to mention the negative headlines in what is a positive time for the club. It's simple...sing Rangers songs. It's not hard, the vast majority of people manage to do it every game. Keep your religion and non football stuff for the house or the pub if you are that interested in it. Grown men going to the games spouting this stuff....grow up and take some responsibility for damaging the club for once.

Sadly this thread shows that we’re heading towards a full stadium ban.

Too many supporters are unable to take responsibility for unacceptable behaviour in our own support, preferring instead to argue on technicalities or bleat about bias.

The songs are wrong. Bin them. It’s as simple as that.

To be honest it's a really sad inditement of many within our support who somehow can't see right from wrong here.

The actual football is secondary to these muppets, all they want to do is go the game pished and sing their nonsense.

You are putting words in my mouth so I will no longer debate this issue with you.

I will just continue to do both, some clubs are more than just football teams pal. Why can countless clubs proudly stick by their heritage but FF doesn’t want us to?

Seeing as you didn't answer it the last time - what do Bobby Sands and the Pope have to do with the Rangers heritage?

Genuinely worry about folk that think the above. Timmy behaviour always looking to blame others or deflect criticism rather facing up to our faults and addressing them.

It's the reason everyone not born in the West of Scotland just see Celtic and Rangers as 2 sides of the same coin.

This punishment isn't the result of a witch hunt or an anti protestant agenda. It's self inflicted because a large section of our support are obsessed with a conflict that ended before most of them were born and signing about dead terrorists whose names would largely be forgotten if not for the songs our support sing.

It literally is a witch hunt. FARE have reported us for every European game since we've been back in the competition.

That doesn't mean we can't clean up our image. Your post and another poster have wrongly assumed that I want us to carry on as normal. We need to stop singing these songs for the sake of the club. To not do that would be idiotic and we would deserve everything that's flung at us.

Still doesn't detract that we're being thrown underneath a microscope at any opportunity when others aren't. This is unprecedented from UEFA. We haven't received a fine for singing since Osasuna if I'm not mistake!

If we qualify, you can bet we will have a full behind closed doors game next. The singing at the end of last night has guaranteed this.

I would argue then that they are in for a mighty f*king shock going by the clubs statement

And we did not challenge “racist behaviour”? No, of course not.

There was sectarian singing, but there was no racist behaviour. This is now the headlines everywhere, big bad racist Rangers fans.

I don’t care what UEFA bracket it as, its wrong and should be challenged.
This is not the fault of the Rangers board. Once again a section of our supporters has put us in an embarrassing position. This has to be the end of it now. A partial closure is an embarrassment.

Eventually it will stop when Ibrox plays to an empty stadium. Rangers record and keep all of our games so its not difficult to see why there is no use in appealing.
King has made it clear that he and the club do not want sectarian singing and if people cant see that or appear not to know what sectarian singing is then in time , hopefully sooner, they will be thrown out and replaced by fans who can sing and sing loud the songs that they know are acceptable.
As for Celtic I just don't care about their club or their disgusting fans and why anybody would want to do as they do is beyond me.
Support Rangers and do as they want and thus show your support or just go away.
I am aware that the above wont be agreeable to all but its my opinion which is shared by my club.

See if I genuinely believed that pandering would work and if we stopped TBB they would leave us alone I would say fair enough. I’d hate it and be disgusted but I’d swallow it.

They’ve shown us time and time again though that they won’t do that, give them an inch and they’ll take a mile. Them coming after the bouncy, penny arcade, WATP and the Hokey Cokey proves it.

Stand up to a bully or always get bullied.

We lost the fvckin battle years ago.. Understand what's going on here ffs, get our house in order then go after the cvnts don't give them more ammo when the wagons are circling

If the away fans are unable to behave and act in a way that results in us losing points or being disqualified from Europe, the Club will eventually refuse to take away tickets.

The away support will eventually comply, one way or another.
Why is that our only choice? Why can our board not just defend us for once? Especially considering we are in the right.

Not going to lie, i like the songs, i've been brought up with these songs, but i am not Religious in any shape or form and think it's all a load of sh*te.

Being petty this will definitely have a knock on effect in terms of atmosphere, especially against that mob, but it is time to move on. If we stop it and they continue let's go after them instead of having the mentality that "they sing naughty songs so we will as well".

It's extremely simple.
Ask yourself which is more important to you. F*cking the Pope and the IRA, being up to your knees in 19th Century Terrorist Blood etc. Or the success and prosperity of our football club.
If it's not the latter, your priorities are wrong.

By all means sing those songs on supporters buses and in clubs, but leave them outside Ibrox and any ground we play at.

Back