Rangers braced for bombshell punishment over sectarian singing (vs St Joseph’s at Ibrox)

challenge it then

it literally doesn't make any sense

Not really the point I was making. I do think UEFA are wrong to lump 'sectarian singing' in alongside what they would deem 'racist behaviour'. They are entirely different IMHO. That doesn't mean that taking action against 'sectarian behaviour' is, by default, wrong. It doesn't really matter if they classify 'sectarian behaviour' as 'racist' or whether they use that good old catch-all of 'bringing the game into disrepute' we have no defence against such behaviour. It is not going to be tolerated in this day and age and we have to move on from it within Ibrox Stadium.

Follow follow is a bit of an echo chamber when it comes to this subject.

I really hope yous understand that the majority opinion in here is miles apart from our away support no matter how much you’d wish that wasn’t the case.

The vast majority of the away support have absolutely zero interest in the handwringer route, no matter how much disdain our away support is shown on here we do not care.
That much is blindingly obvious. Support and deliberately damage the Club at one and the same time. An odd and bizarre mindset.

Just seems incredibly timed to cause maximum impact, why no mention of any potential charge weeks ago so that the club could prepare?

Wait till after the ground is sold out then hit the club with this out of the blue?

Guilty or not we’ve not even had the chance to defend ourselves either and it looks like no right of appeal that’s North Korea type justice.

Gerrard having to comment on this nauseating subject is utterly depressing. Sick of being associated with it when I and many others refrain from singing songs that are inevitably going to get the club punished from UEFA.

Agree - but we still need to know what will "inevitably" get the club punished.

We can guess the most obvious stuff but we shouldn't have to guess.

As far as I'm aware all we've ever had in terms of clarity from UEFA is a ruling on one song because of one word in that song.

Not really the point I was making. I do think UEFA are wrong to lump 'sectarian singing' in alongside what they would deem 'racist behaviour'. They are entirely different IMHO. That doesn't mean that taking action against 'sectarian behaviour' is, by default, wrong. It doesn't really matter if they classify 'sectarian behaviour' as 'racist' or whether they use that good old catch-all of 'bringing the game into disrepute' we have no defence against such behaviour. It is not going to be tolerated in this day and age and we have to move on from it within Ibrox Stadium.

bullshit

So the club or UEFA have lied?

I think what Rangers are saying is that UEFA deem sectarian singing to be 'racist behaviour'. UEFA are wrong to do so but I think that's what Rangers are actually saying in their statement rather than suggesting racist behaviour took place.

UEFA has ruled that a group of Rangers supporters were guilty of racist behaviour – which includes sectarian singing – during the match against St Joseph’s at Ibrox on July 18.

These moon bowlers literally got the definition of a word changed and we’ve been punished because of it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.da...inging-the-hokey-cokey-could-land-1002751.amp

If you believe them to be incapable of going the same again then you are a fool.

And I don’t love songs more than Rangers I love the rights of Rangers fans and freedom of speech more but the absolutely horrendously pathetic and cowardly modern day society seems to have large swathes who don’t understand he importance of freedom of speech.

Here’s an idea? Express your freedom of speech in your own house or out on the street or in the pub. Just don’t attach it to sitting in a stand watching Rangers. It’s that simple.

Do you realise you are harming the club? Or just not care?
I believe mentally challengeds are and our current and past boards pandering and not defending us.

We are getting told a song against Irish republican scum is anti catholic, we literally in the right and still we won’t get defended.

I believe mentally challengeds are and our current and past boards pandering and not defending us.

We are getting told a song against Irish republican scum is anti catholic, we literally in the right and still we won’t get defended.
Can you not see that singing that particular song is harming Rangers?

so you'll sing it regardless of the consequences? is this what you're saying?

I was once told that Build My Gallows was disgusting because it was about hanging Catholics.

They will go after us regardless, they are relentless.

I don't care about religion or loyalist songs either way, good or bad. However we all know that Celtic and their deranged support will never rest in their pursuit to cry foul and neuter us in any way they can.

I hate to see us roll over without a fight over something subjective. I also think the club can't be responsible for what individuals think or do.

It’s 2019, we as a support have 2 choices

1. Keep hurting the club by singing about 19th Century Terrorists and the pope etc and then complain about whataboutery

2. Stop it now and sings songs that celebrate our club instead

We are moving forward with the people in charge on the park and off it, time for the fans to play their part

Today needs to be a line in the sand or you will continue to hurt the image and the finances of the club

Your choice....
Spot on.
It’s moronic.
And what do fucking the Pope or the I Ran Away or hunger strikers, terrorists etc actually have to do with our club?
No-one of any note will invest in our club who isn’t Rangers-minded if we continue with this outdated pish.

There's an interesting thread about this from Jordan Campbell (The Athletic) on Twitter, it gives the details of when Ajax had the FB banner against Celtic. Basically says that, despite some of them referring to themselves as 19th Century Terrorists, others find it "offensive and discriminatory on the grounds of religion and ethnic origin." That some feel offended is "sufficient for UEFA to consider the expression offensive and to prohibit it in football stadiums".

While the last part is evidence of UEFA taking their lead from anyone who has jumped on the offended bus, this doesn't change where we are right now. If you want to argue about the motives of FARE or the conflation of Irish Republicanism and Catholicism, or whatever else, then lobby politicians/governing bodies. Singing about being up to your knees in it is a futile protest. It'll only get worse if this carries on.

I don't care about religion, I care about the success of Rangers.

The reality is the people who sing these songs just don’t care. They don’t care about the consequences, they don’t care what anyone here thinks and they don’t care what the club think.

It’s difficult to know how to combat it, nothing will get through to them until it’s too late.

That’s not what I’m doing, I would however put freedom of speech as more important than a football team.

I see. Well, you crack on, and when the Scottish authorities finally get their way and start docking us points for the songs you're singing and we watch Celtic lift the league that we otherwise could have won you can be happy in the knowledge that you got to sing a song.

Shambolic. Don't even get me started on that lot who unfortunately share the same city as us.

Posted in another thread, I am in the broomie end spent a fortune on season ticket, merch, upcoming away, cup and potential Euro games and i potentially wont be able to attend our most vital euro game due to some peoples inability to sing about our club and a group with very sinister motives. Seems very fair.

total and utter nonsense

This is how UEFA define 'Racist and Discriminatory Conduct'.

Any person under the scope of Article 3 who insults the human dignity of a person or group of persons on whatever grounds, including skin colour, race, religion, ethnic origin, gender or sexual orientation, incurs a suspension lasting at least ten matches or a specified period of time, or any other appropriate sanction.

It goes, as you can see, way beyond what most of us would term 'racist'.

Article 14 in their Regs:

https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile...CompDisCases/02/60/83/56/2608356_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Follow follow is a bit of an echo chamber when it comes to this subject.

I really hope yous understand that the majority opinion in here is miles apart from our away support no matter how much you’d wish that wasn’t the case.

The vast majority of the away support have absolutely zero interest in the handwringer route, no matter how much disdain our away support is shown on here we do not care.

You will care when you are sitting at home banned from following your team or have a criminal conviction. The we don't care attitude isn't going to end well for you. There are plenty other Rangers fans who will take your place, you will not be missed.

Surely this Is against all rules of UEFA you can't now say after match has been sold out oh by the way where taking 3 thousand tickets off you now for singing sectarian songs surely there has to be some sort of notice and time frame they have to obey by

Why you so keen to sing about their icons then?
If you don’t understand that then you don’t know much about what we are up against in Glasgow.

The 19th Century Terrorists are constantly trying to glorify and legitimise that particular 19th Century Terrorist bastard. Over 100 of us turned up the other night at barrowlands park when they were glorifying him in an open air concert.
anyone singing them and caught, deserves every punishment coming.
Punished for singing songs? How very fascist of you.

Back