Rangers braced for bombshell punishment over sectarian singing (vs St Joseph’s at Ibrox)

That match was the ridiculously hot day, was it not? I've never seen so much drunkenness around a home match as I did that night, the Euro neds were out in force and have cost us big time. I think the Billy Boys was sung early on in the match too?
Thats my memory of the night also

The club has asked the fans to stop singing those songs if you really have the club at heart and don’t want any more damage done then it shouldn’t be hard. Just stop it. Keep those songs for the bus. Clubs etc

I remember when I was waiting to collect my ticket outside the ground for this game. A team of young lads came walking along the back of the Govan stand giving it the bobby sands tune and FTP etc- the oldest was about 18.
Remember thinking to myself at the time we would be in bother if they come out with that inside the ground, but also WHY? let it go please ffs.

It’s 2019, we as a support have 2 choices

1. Keep hurting the club by singing about 19th Century Terrorists and the pope etc and then complain about whataboutery

2. Stop it now and sings songs that celebrate our club instead

We are moving forward with the people in charge on the park and off it, time for the fans to play their part

Today needs to be a line in the sand or you will continue to hurt the image and the finances of the club

Your choice....

Why is that our only choice? Why can our board not just defend us for once? Especially considering we are in the right.
You’re not in the right.

Singing songs about 19th Century Terrorists and the Pope is not right at Rangers games. The Club will never back your corner on this.

It’s your choice, you can have another two or three trips where you sing whatever you want. But you’ll never get another Euro away trip again, and you’ll hurt our club in the process.

Or you can drop any song containing words about 19th Century Terrorists and the Pope and we can all enjoy Rangers European away trips forever more.

Entirely you and the away supports’ call.

Nobody seems to know, which just muddys the waters further. It would be good if the club came out with a list and said you can't sing X, Y & Z song to clarify things.

It's a big problem. All very well saying don't sing this word don't sing that word and it'll be fine but there needs to be transparency.

If UEFA are closing stands they need to produce a clear list of what constitutes sectarian chanting.

If the SPL/SFA want to do that they need to produce a clear list of what constitutes sectarian chanting.

If we can see it is being applied fairly and consistently people are much more likely to be able to abide by it. If we can see it is not being applied fairly or consistently because of those pushing the charges then we have a clear means of challenging it.

It's like a kangaroo court at the minute.

No, but they had to replay a match in another country in the 80s then played the next seasons first home European game behind closed doors as a result of their fans' misbehaviour

Wasn’t that due to a bottle being thrown at a Vienna player mate ?

A helluva lot different from singing songs.

Why are folk continually mentioning FARE ? It was the Norwegian UEFA deligate that reported it.

Not everything has to be a fucking conspiracy or clandestine dealings by a Catholic elite out to get Rangers. Sometimes it's just arseholes in our support that care more about singing shite songs than harming the club.

FARE lobby uefa who send a delegate in forearmed with what to look out for specifically.

That’s easy to understand.

This is not the fault of the Rangers board. Once again a section of our supporters has put us in an embarrassing position. This has to be the end of it now. A partial closure is an embarrassment.
“A section”.

Pretending its a section doesn’t help this issue, does it? The majority of the stadium sing the songs on a European night. Thats a fact.

It is not sophisty, our support being tarred as racist, should not be accepted. Catholicism is a religion... full stop. 19th Century Terrorist a derogatory term for Irish Catholics/ Nationalists. Meaning is important.

It is sophistry because it's a pointless argument to be having where the word is known to be unacceptable either way and the UEFA regs cover both. Do you really want the club to be taking the argument "our fans aren't racist, they're just sectarian"?

You may not agree with how the word has been categorised, and I know there are plenty of historical arguments, but it's frankly a shite line to be taking where we know fine the word is unacceptable. Like it or not the meaning of words change.

There's no secret that the word is unacceptable and I don't believe for a minute anyone on here or at Ibrox is under any illusions about it. It's not just UEFA who have decided that, the highest criminal court in Scotland agrees - and considers the word to be both racist and sectarian.

You may not think that's fair, but if you really want to fight a cultural battle on that does it really have to be at Ibrox on European nights, or can you not save it for somewhere else?

Given this is the st Joseph's game and we've had 3 or 4 euro ties since once would assumed we're going to be in a spot of bother should we make the group stages

The microscope was always going to be on us and hell mend your wee bigoted mindset if you've sang these songs only to lose your seat moving forward. I just feel so sorry for the decent fans amongst us that didnt deserve this

You are putting words in my mouth so I will no longer debate this issue with you.

Mate you and the other members of the Bobby Sands Memorial Society can throw your toys out of the pram if you like. The facts are simple, your view of the world is no longer acceptable and is damaging the club.

You keep on doing what you do and the punishments will rack up until we are excluded. Do you really want that? Can you not see you are trying to argue a point you can never win, the club cant support you and your fellow fans don't support you.

Time to change bud. The writing is on the wall

I will just continue to do both, some clubs are more than just football teams pal. Why can countless clubs proudly stick by their heritage but FF doesn’t want us to?

"I went to court for singing Fathers Advice with the bobby sands add on at the piggery"

Oh, of course, that proud "bobby sands add-on" heritage.

If UEFAs main issue seems to be with the use of the word "19th Century Terrorist", and from the statement I would assume this is the case, then I don't see how you can't drop that word and continue to stick by our heritage.

Yeah, yeah, yeah "they won't stop there". So then we can defend against whatever comes next.
Seem to me like it would be easy enough to drop one word and then see what, if anything, they come for next.

"Give me a lifetime of promises and a world of dreams, %^*& THE POPE AND THE IRA"

How about that heritage, lads?
Can you feel the pride? The history? Would bring a tear to your eye.

%^*& it. Let's see how this plays out.
The main worry now is surely that Progres and Mijtyland matches are going to be reported also and we are going to be punished again should we get into the groups.

People that continue to sing that stuff are absolute morons. They clearly don’t care about the club.

on another note. I don’t get how you can get fined for singing “sectarian” songs. Religion is completely fake and made up. There is zero proof any of it is real. Yet the law seems to treat it as real. Bizarre.

This. %^*& religion. It is the root of all evil. Millions of people have died in the name of religion. It's made up bullshit

Wasn’t that due to a bottle being thrown at a Vienna player mate ?

A helluva lot different from singing songs.
The replay was, and then in the replay there were, I think, three attacks on Rapid players on the park by Celtic fans

But yes, you are right. Its an uneven playing field but if we want to play in UEFA competitions we have to play their game

We lost the fvckin battle years ago.. Understand what's going on here ffs, get our house in order then go after the cvnts don't give them more ammo when the wagons are circling

You do know we did just that guess what ? They kept chasing now am not saying we should just carry on regardless we shouldn't but to believe they will stop is just sticking your in head in the sand

“A section”.

Pretending its a section doesn’t help this issue, does it? The majority of the stadium sing the songs on a European night. Thats a fact.
The Billy Boys? It's made a bit of a come back and we're now paying the price for it. I don't remember the majority of Ibrox singing it at any of the European games this season, so I'd dispute that fact. Anyway, it is besides the point. It has to stop now. This is a huge embarrassment for the club, and 3000 of our fans will miss a very important game.

I've just read the Rangers statement again and I think some are getting confused by the use of the term 'racist behaviour'. Looking at that differently I think what Rangers are saying is that UEFA deem sectarian singing to be 'racist behaviour'. UEFA are wrong to do so but I think that's what Rangers are actually saying in their statement rather than suggesting racist behaviour took place.

UEFA has ruled that a group of Rangers supporters were guilty of racist behaviour – which includes sectarian singing – during the match against St Joseph’s at Ibrox on July 18.

challenge it then

it literally doesn't make any sense

You do know we did just that guess what ? They kept chasing now am not saying we should just carry on regardless we shouldn't but to believe they will stop is just sticking your in head in the sand

If we stopped then how come we are today being punished for songs the club asked us to stop singing many years ago?

People are acting like we stopped singing TBB and Super Rangers and that this UEFA punishment is over The Bouncy or something like that.

It's not true though is it?

Good, because YOU are contributing to what will effectively be a full stadium ban - then you can sing about the pope, the papists and bobby sands in the house!
Is it? If I go on to Rangers' website will I find that the club describes itself as "loyalist"? I think you're getting facts and what you personally believe a bit mixed up.
Trying to deny our clubs heritage is making you look utterly ridiculous pal.

FARE lobby uefa who send a delegate in forearmed with what to look out for specifically.

That’s easy to understand.

There's a delegate at every single euro tie.

It's to be expected that he would be briefed on what he might hear that would fall foul of EUFA rules.

FARE most likely are bias, but it wasn't FARE singing songs about Catholics.

It's actually scary some of you genuinely believe folk outside the toxic WoS bubble care about us enough that there would b be conspiracies to %^*& us over at the highest levels of the sports governing body.

Our fans sing songs that break the rules despite club legends and the chairman asking us not to and as a result we are being punished. It's as simple as that.

Follow follow is a bit of an echo chamber when it comes to this subject.

I really hope yous understand that the majority opinion in here is miles apart from our away support no matter how much you’d wish that wasn’t the case.

The vast majority of the away support have absolutely zero interest in the handwringer route, no matter how much disdain our away support is shown on here we do not care.

YOU don’t care, but many do. You don’t speak for the away support, with patter like that you are coming across like wee Nicola Sturgeon when she claims to speak for Scotland.
I’ve sang all those songs, many times over the years, but I made a conscious decision to stop singing anything like that at the games a long time ago, I won’t get involved in potentially harming the club I love. I also refuse to throw myself at the mercy of a Scottish justice system that appears to make it up as they go along in cases involving alleged sectarianism.

Thats the third time you've posted that stupid daily record article, what is your point? Is that the sole evidence of 'them' coming after us? You really think uefa would close part of a stadium for something as stupid as the hokey cokey, which has never been sang? The article is the opinion of some stupid catholic leader, and has no relevance at all to what is being discussed here.

YOU don’t care, but many do. You don’t speak for the away support, with patter like that you are coming across like wee Nicola Sturgeon when she claims to speak for Scotland.
I’ve sang all those songs, many times over the years, but I made a conscious decision to stop singing anything like that at the games a long time ago, I won’t get involved in potentially harming the club I love. I also refuse to throw myself at the mercy of a Scottish justice system that appears to make it up as they go along in cases involving alleged sectarianism.
Almost the entirety of our away support have been belting out all the songs yous all cry about for generations, It’s clear we don’t care what the handwringers who don’t attend think.

No argument..no morale high ground.
Umpteen threads on this and everyone is told to GTF.You know FARE are after us and yet songs still get sung.It was only a matter of time.Hope all the 'We sing what we want'brigade are all happy.

Back