Gerrard urges fans to cut it out

I admire your confidence however what would you suggest at the piggery when only 800 bears get to go and 10/15% decide to go “traditional “ ?

It will work, trust me, we just need the club and fans group to endorse it.

If it is not stopped now we will be out of Europe next Thursday, win or lose, or at best our stadium closed. If TBB is heard it should be booed loudly home or away. We have supported the club during an horrific time in our history but if we’re not careful all that will be for nothing if we’re banned from Europe.

TBB must stay, fantastic anthem that gets the ground rocking. If the Club got together with Club 1872 and other fan groups, changed a few lyrics and handed out leaflets, released statements along with word of mouth and a bit of self policing, it absolutely can be done!
No it can’t, we’ve tried it before without success. It’s a song stuck in the days when Love Thy Neighbour, Alf Garnett and Jim Will Fix It were all acceptable. Time to bin it.

Give it a rest, he was asked the question at the press conference, and he gave a great response. The club have also issued a statement regarding the singing. So let’s be clear the manager was not hung out to dry by anyone at the club.

If you genuinely believe the club are remotely competent in the area of comms we'll have to agree to disagree.

Steven Gerrard has been blown away by the raucous Ibrox atmosphere and insists the stadium can still be a bear pit without the bigoted bile.

The Rangers squad were weary after touching down at Glasgow Airport in the early hours of Friday morning after their Europa League draw in Warsaw and he is growing even more tired of the section of the club’s support who refuse to heed the warning over sectarian singing.

Gerrard is gutted that his players will be without the backing of 3000 fans for next week’s crucial Europa League playoff return leg.

Although aware of the sectarian problem in Scotland while growing up on Merseyside, the 39-year-old has been shocked at the deep religious divide.

He addressed it last season when his former Anfield coach Steve Clarke was abused while in charge of Kilmarnock during a Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox.

Gerrard hoped the message would get through on that occasion before the club looked to hammer it home with the launch of their ‘Everyone, Anyone’ initiative.

The Ibrox boss said: “There has been numerous situations and questions I’ve had to face, in different press conferences, about different types of fan behaviour.

“I was aware of the rivalry and the religion and politics around it, that stuff, but I didn’t realise how strong it was. I don’t think you do until you actually come here and are involved in it.

“I don’t know what to say. We’ve been here before, when I’ve been asked questions about fan behaviour. You know, I sat in a press conference 10 days or two weeks ago, all about what the club were doing to address behaviour on the terraces.

“It was the Anyone, Everyone campaign – and it was a fantastic thing for the club to do. Everyone is working as hard as they can to promote that.

“That’s not just an idea that someone has come up with overnight. A lot of hard work has gone into that campaign. All the players back it and I back it as manager.

“To have something like this so close to the launch of that campaign is disappointing. Unfortunately, a minority is letting that down.”

Rangers travel to Paisley on Sunday for their live lunchtime clash with St Mirren as they look to maintain their perfect start to the Premiership campaign.

The Light Blues also continue to make progress with some stellar displays on the continent such as the battling draw against Legia Warsaw in midweek.

Gerrard was flanked by midfielder Ryan Jack at The Hummel Training Centre and said: “I should be answering questions about Ryan’s performance last night and about how strong and brave my team were in one of the most hostile environments you can be involved in.

“I should be talking about our positive start to the season.

“Unfortunately, I’m talking about statements we’re having to make every few months about fan behaviour.”

Steven Gerrard has been blown away by the raucous Ibrox atmosphere and insists the stadium can still be a bear pit without the bigoted bile.

The Rangers squad were weary after touching down at Glasgow Airport in the early hours of Friday morning after their Europa League draw in Warsaw and he is growing even more tired of the section of the club’s support who refuse to heed the warning over sectarian singing.

Gerrard is gutted that his players will be without the backing of 3000 fans for next week’s crucial Europa League playoff return leg.

Although aware of the sectarian problem in Scotland while growing up on Merseyside, the 39-year-old has been shocked at the deep religious divide.

He addressed it last season when his former Anfield coach Steve Clarke was abused while in charge of Kilmarnock during a Scottish Cup tie at Ibrox.

Gerrard hoped the message would get through on that occasion before the club looked to hammer it home with the launch of their ‘Everyone, Anyone’ initiative.

The Ibrox boss said: “There has been numerous situations and questions I’ve had to face, in different press conferences, about different types of fan behaviour.

“I was aware of the rivalry and the religion and politics around it, that stuff, but I didn’t realise how strong it was. I don’t think you do until you actually come here and are involved in it.

“I don’t know what to say. We’ve been here before, when I’ve been asked questions about fan behaviour. You know, I sat in a press conference 10 days or two weeks ago, all about what the club were doing to address behaviour on the terraces.

“It was the Anyone, Everyone campaign – and it was a fantastic thing for the club to do. Everyone is working as hard as they can to promote that.

“That’s not just an idea that someone has come up with overnight. A lot of hard work has gone into that campaign. All the players back it and I back it as manager.

“To have something like this so close to the launch of that campaign is disappointing. Unfortunately, a minority is letting that down.”

Rangers travel to Paisley on Sunday for their live lunchtime clash with St Mirren as they look to maintain their perfect start to the Premiership campaign.

The Light Blues also continue to make progress with some stellar displays on the continent such as the battling draw against Legia Warsaw in midweek.

Gerrard was flanked by midfielder Ryan Jack at The Hummel Training Centre and said: “I should be answering questions about Ryan’s performance last night and about how strong and brave my team were in one of the most hostile environments you can be involved in.

“Unfortunately, I’m talking about statements we’re having to make every few months about fan behaviour.”
That's pretty grim reading.

Because maybe they'll actually listen to the manager rather than an executive.
Absolutely mate! Imagine if speccy Robertson was sent out in front of the media telling us not to sing bad songs. There wouldn't be an ounce of flesh left on him by users on here :eek:
If we don't listen to our fellow fans of friends and family, buses etc (self policing) or listen to the gaffer then what chance do we have

We need to convince the UBs that, rightly or wrongly, they are being blamed for this and help them self-police. The boys need to sort this out but the club must give them every assistance.
However, given all the cameras focused on these guys how the hell haven't the culprits been identified?

The club just needs to spot anyone who continues to sing party songs, no matter where they sit in the ground. Once identified ban that person from Ibrox for life. There are up to 15000 waiting to take that vacant seat.

Indeed. That's the atmosphere trashed. Fans wont be sure what to sing just in case its not acceptable.

ffs how depressing. There is a songbook full of Rangers songs. Unfortunately the majority of fans don't know them well enough as most grew up thinking the "party" songs were proper Rangers songs rather than the sectarian crap they really are.

It's t
That's from Four Lads, not UEFA. I think only their first point is likely to be correct without reasonable challenge, but their advice is good if they want to be totally covered.
No Pope of Rome and TBB have been 'outlawed' over 20 years now. Nothing new in this list, I remember we got told to cut out the same songs and it started up the We are not Sectarian chanting. It comes and goes, UEFA go hard and then stop pressing these matters then it starts up again. We absolutely should be keeping our noses clean whilst simultaneously going after these Papish bastards in every corridor of power who turn a blind eye/ear to anti-Christian, anti-Islam, anti-Semite, anti-gay, misogynistic, pro murdering terrorist supporting chants.
For some reason they are fixated on big bad Rangers, the child abuse covering piece of shit Francis and his cabal are receiving unprecedented protection along with Child raping harbouring football clubs. Why?
Nice tifo display
Songs bad
Raping Children fine
The acceptable world of UEFA

It's t

No Pope of Rome and TBB have been 'outlawed' over 20 years now. Nothing new in this list, I remember we got told to cut out the same songs and it started up the We are not Sectarian chanting. It comes and goes, UEFA go hard and then stop pressing these matters then it starts up again. We absolutely should be keeping our noses clean whilst simultaneously going after these Papish bastards in every corridor of power who turn a blind eye/ear to anti-Christian, anti-Islam, anti-Semite, anti-gay, misogynistic, pro murdering terrorist supporting chants.
For some reason they are fixated on big bad Rangers, the child abuse covering piece of shit Francis and his cabal are receiving unprecedented protection along with Child raping harbouring football games. Why?
I agree with this a lot! We should be better at keeping our house in order, agreed, but there is no consistency or reference to the law, etc.

Cringing watching that

Nothing to do with FARE, BBC the board etc / that’s brutal watching and there is %^*& all the board or Gerrard can say other than that

TBB must stay, fantastic anthem that gets the ground rocking. If the Club got together with Club 1872 and other fan groups, changed a few lyrics and handed out leaflets, released statements along with word of mouth and a bit of self policing, it absolutely can be done!

TBB's time is up, should never ever be heard again at any Rangers game. Those who think differently have no love for Rangers as singing this sectarian crap will only bring further financial damage and shame to the club.

Rangers FC are a football club, why don't we try singing football songs at football games from now on.

I defy anyone to read that and still think it should be business as usual.

I defy anyone to read that and still think it should be business as usual.

Exactly . Embarrassing, cringeworthy , shameful that we have a young forward thinking manager who has literally transformed our team in 14 months , a board who saved us from oblivion with the criminals , and yet we have a number of fans who just selfishly drag us through the mud with persistent childish embarrassing singing st games of football .

I despair , it’s depressing as Fck reading that article .

It's simple.

Keep singing the songs and sooner or later, not only will UEFA hit us harder but the manager will get so fed fúcking up of the support not listening to a single word he's saying and playing in front of empty stands that he'll head elsewhere.

Your choice Buckfast Brigade.
Not just the buckfast brigade though is it? Grown men and woman in their 30’s, 40’s and beyond do it

Not just the buckfast brigade though is it? Grown men and woman in their 30’s, 40’s and beyond do it

And it’s the sneering attitude of some that’s doing my head in.

Those who say now “I told you so” would have probably have joined in a week on Sunday had nothing happened today.

Now it’s like they’re trying to portray other supporters as a sort of sub class, a lower order, holding them solely responsible for this.

“I’m sure UEFA are sending us a clear message that this is your punishment for this but, if it continues, you will be playing behind closed doors,” he said.
“Unfortunately, those are the things that will come if this continues. If this minority continue to let the club down, that is what eventually will happen.
“And the thought of that is tough, as a manager. Especially when there is so much to play for in these games.
Gerrard predicted that having 3,000 fewer fans cheering Rangers on against Legia could impact on his side’s chances of reaching the Europa League group stages.
“We need every little bit of help we can get and 3000 people can make an awful lot of noise,” he said.
“When Ibrox is full and is rocking, it’s a difficult place for a team to come and get the right result.
You keep taking chunks of that away, it gives the opposition an advantage.
“So we’re gaining absolutely nothing from these chants and this behaviour. I ask and plead for the fans to behave properly when they come and support the team.
“It’s frustrating. Because they’re spoiling it for innocent people who pay good money to go and follow the team.
Gerrard added: “I don’t know how many people are involved in this – but I guarantee it won’t be 3000.
“But, unfortunately, 3000 people have to miss out on what looks like is going to be a hell of a football match to go and support your team.
“I can’t wait for next Thursday, can’t wait to be involved in it, and I’m sure the players are the same.
“And I’m sure a lot of supporters will be desperate to get tickets for that match – but, unfortunately, some of them can’t go now.”
Gerrard admitted he was disappointed that Rangers, who have also been ordered to display an “Equal Game” banner at the Legia game by UEFA, have been hit with this sanction at such a critical stage in the 2019/20 campaign.
“It’s frustrating, from my point of view, “ he said. “We need Ibrox to be as noisy and hostile as it can.
“To have a chunk of our support missing next week is hugely disappointing. So I certainly back the statement.”

A direct plea from the manager - how many will acknowledge it?

Whether we agree with it or not we need to stop singing the songs or doing things that are going to get us into trouble. I have absolutely no doubt what so ever though we have an element of our support that do not give a shit about the club or what will happen and will continue doing what they want. We've seen that from some of the responses on Twitter etc. alone.

This is one of the reasons why a club cannot be held solely responsible. There is only so much they can do and even punishing the club to the extreme isn't going to stop that.

Gerrard added: “I don’t know how many people are involved in this – but I guarantee it won’t be 3000.

Correct, add a 0 to the end and you are closer to the truth.

you know anything about F the pope will get us in the shite, lets just move on and try our best not to hurt the club, as someone said this will be a ure fire way for the gaffer to get pissed off and head to another club.
We won't ever be cited for saying it but if you think it's an uncouth thing to say that's a different issue altogether. I can't see Gerrard leaving for us singing something we aren't cited for and have been singing since his first day here.

What makes me sick is the fact those that sang it in the first place have been well warned yet decided that they were more important than the club.

This is our final chance IMO. If we as a support mess this up then he'll walk away and who would blame him really? He works tirelessly to do well in europe and now theres a chance he could be putting out a team in front of no fans or we even get kicked out. I know that is unlikely but even the thought of that must make him question the job he's doing.

If he walks away because of this then it could set us back years and years again.

We won't ever be cited for saying it but if you think it's an uncouth thing to say that's a different issue altogether. I can't see Gerrard leaving for us singing something we aren't cited for and have been singing since his first day here.
And you know this how? Why can't we just leave the Pope, and anything to do with fecking religion at home. It really aint that difficult mate.

Gerrard didn’t “come down hard on anyone.” He said don’t misbehave. Duh. What does one think he’d say in this situation?

I’m logging off FF for a few weeks until all the “woke” speech code uni students stop preaching and lecturing.

And it’s the sneering attitude of some that’s doing my head in.

Those who say now “I told you so” would have probably have joined in a week on Sunday had nothing happened today.

Now it’s like they’re trying to portray other supporters as a sort of sub class, a lower order, holding them solely responsible for this.
Not sneering at all, I cringe at games and in the boozer when a number of songs get sung. I’m sure many thousands of others do to.

Back