Union Bears Have Two Choices – Lead Or Die

I'm not sure how you can have a balanced opinion on the OP when you've admitted you stopped reading after a few paragraphs.

Why not try to read the entire OP and then make your points?
In my opinion all supporters groups should be sitting down and talking and deciding on a strategy going forward ,we need anyone with any influence getting the message out these songs are damaging Rangers and Rangers alone we can't blame anyone else it is our problem and only we can sort it out for our own good because UEFA have their sights firmly fixed on us and their solution won't be with Rangers best interests at heart .

The UB do a great job getting and keeping the signing going, creating a great atmosphere at home and away, but, do we really need to let foreign supporters, (most of whom don't speak English) know who we will and won't be mastered by or the fact that we don't like the pope or the IRA. Lets keep the signing and chanting about us and our team. Let's encourage the team and the manager otherwise we'll end up losing a lot more than a few thousand seats at a home game.
IT's TIME FOR A CHANGE.

The club need to ask about their agenda based on numerous pieces of evidence i and many other posters sent them in 2011 on this very board. At that time we where high fived and congratulated for taking alot of time out to challenge them
Via emails and correspondence etc.

Whats changed ?how many incidents have the filth across the city been involved in with alot more video evidence available? We have been out of Europe during the years in the lower leagues and after going after out songs then , its now our fan group who spur the team on home and away.

People need to waken up and remember this is still the same piara powers FARE from 2011 . “ They havent gone away you know “.

Are we a target for FARE? yes

Do we receive a disproportionate amount of attention compared to other clubs? Absolutely we do!

Do they have an agenda driven bias against us? There is more than a good chance of that as had been proven in the past.

Have we been warned they are in attendance at every game? Yes!

Have songs/words been heard that we have been told not to use anyway? Yes

We can't complain about them firing shots at us constantly if we are the ones loading the gun for them!

We have changed as a support. I remember singing songs/chants as a young bear years ago that we wouldn't dare sing now. The hard reality is that our enemies do not want us to sing about religion, politics or history but the balaclava brigade and tartan army can.

People in the thread are going to need to be a little less sensitive about the UB. Facts are, nowadays, the UB basically start every song during a home match - this is a huge positive. The downside is they have some songs in their repetoire that arent allowed any more so its time to stop. They can choose to stop in a positive way and lead the fans (a move btw that would guarantee support for safe standing) or they can be children and say it wasnae just us and sing naughty songs. Time to choose.

Regardless of blame proportion, the OP is spot on. They're the one group perfectly positioned to drive the change we clearly need.

If they don't take the bull by the horns here, I'd be a huge advocate of the former Blue Order lads spearheading the change and pushing the initiative.

And this isn't just about corrective activity, this is about protecting our other anthems - because these fuckers will try and come after FF etc for some add-ons that a tiny,tiny majority sometimes sing.

What’s your point here?
I don't think it's the point he was making, but it does inadvertently point out that Rangers existed before the UB and will exist after them. We stamped out the song before and can do it again.

Personally I hope the UB remain, they aren't the only guilty party but doesn't change the fact that they need to adapt or be dissolved.

They staged a protest, as is their right, but you describe it as a "huff". That's disrespectful and, dare I say it, immature.

Dont forget the UB are fans like you and me. They work hard to create an atmosphere while others do nothing. If they walk away Ibrox will be dead. That might suit some.

If it doesn’t stop Ibrox will be emptied by UEFA

As things stand, I'm of the opinion that the Union Bears are finished as a fans' group.

I think that the only way back for them would be if they were to work hand in hand with the club and lead the efforts to promote non-offensive songs at Ibrox and at away games.

Now, it's not for me to tell this group what to do as I'm not and never have been a member – but, if I was, I'd be approaching the club in an apologetic manner and asking what the group can do to work with the club in an effort to help educate our wider support – and safeguard the future of the Union Bears.

Just like they do with the offensive songs the Union Bears start, the rest of the ground would follow the Union Bears' lead if they started singing only acceptable songs.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't just disband the Union Bears anyway – that's why it is, for me, imperative that the fans' group seize the initiative here to 1) lead the efforts to promote acceptable singing and 2) safeguard the future of their group and improve their relationship with the club.

Sadly, however, I think the Union Bears will take the huff again and have their silent protests etc, particularly with their section being singled out by the club over recent events with the UEFA charges.

So, instead of the fans' group – and the club – being proactive, I think that, one way or another, the Union Bears are finished.

I truly hope it doesn't come to this because there is much to admire about the Union Bears, but they need to accept criticism when it's merited – which it most definitely is in this case.
Are they collectively mature enough to recognise this, though?

I'd like to think we all – the club, the Union Bears, and the wider support – want the same thing: an
Ibrox with the world-renowned atmosphere that we're known for across the globe, but an Ibrox with a support who no longer sings the songs that will eventually lead us to being banned from Europe completely.

And, make no mistake, we will be banned from Europe if this continues.

Steven Gerrard will walk if that happens.
There's no way our manager will want to be at a Rangers who are banned from Europe – and there's no way he'll want his brand associated with a club who are banned from Europe because of what is deemed to be racist behaviour.

This would give Celtic a free run at the Champions League and effectively render us unable to meaningfully compete.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.
It is a stark fact that we will be kicked out of Europe if we don't change as a support.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of posters on this board who are members of the Union Bears, and, of course, also hear from posters who aren't members of the group.
Perhaps if the guy with the megaphone or those that are members on here had even chosen to take up many of the decent suggestions that have been made on here for alternative chants we would have had a far greater assortment of Rangers songs and little need for the UVF or FTP ditties.

They have to wise up and look to be pro-active in promoting everything that is GOOD about the club.
"We'll jump on the heads of Glasgow Celtic" and shite like this should never be heard at Ibrox again.

As things stand, I'm of the opinion that the Union Bears are finished as a fans' group.

I think that the only way back for them would be if they were to work hand in hand with the club and lead the efforts to promote non-offensive songs at Ibrox and at away games.

Now, it's not for me to tell this group what to do as I'm not and never have been a member – but, if I was, I'd be approaching the club in an apologetic manner and asking what the group can do to work with the club in an effort to help educate our wider support – and safeguard the future of the Union Bears.

Just like they do with the offensive songs the Union Bears start, the rest of the ground would follow the Union Bears' lead if they started singing only acceptable songs.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the club didn't just disband the Union Bears anyway – that's why it is, for me, imperative that the fans' group seize the initiative here to 1) lead the efforts to promote acceptable singing and 2) safeguard the future of their group and improve their relationship with the club.

Sadly, however, I think the Union Bears will take the huff again and have their silent protests etc, particularly with their section being singled out by the club over recent events with the UEFA charges.

So, instead of the fans' group – and the club – being proactive, I think that, one way or another, the Union Bears are finished.

I truly hope it doesn't come to this because there is much to admire about the Union Bears, but they need to accept criticism when it's merited – which it most definitely is in this case.

I'd like to think we all – the club, the Union Bears, and the wider support – want the same thing: an
Ibrox with the world-renowned atmosphere that we're known for across the globe, but an Ibrox with a support who no longer sings the songs that will eventually lead us to being banned from Europe completely.

There's no way our manager will want to be at a Rangers who are banned from Europe – and there's no way he'll want his brand associated with a club who are banned from Europe because of what is deemed to be racist behaviour.

This would give Celtic a free run at the Champions League and effectively render us unable to meaningfully compete.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.
It is a stark fact that we will be kicked out of Europe if we don't change as a support.

I'd be interested to know the thoughts of posters on this board who are members of the Union Bears, and, of course, also hear from posters who aren't members of the group.
Spot on mate couldn’t have put it any better.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

As I see it someone has to carry the can for all this and UEFA have told rangers to get it sorted . The UB are the scapegoat and for me it’s not just the singing . It’s the smokebombs , the “ look at us “ attitude . At rugby park had young ones ( I strongly suspect they were part of UB), ran on the park and jumped on the disabled roof . Now had they not done that we would have won the moral high ground and with regards to the ticket shambles and the crushing , we would’ve hung Kilmarnock out to dry . Because of what else happened we were painted as the bad guys . Yes I sing TBB, yes I sing them all . But when I sing them in my seat nobody from Fare knows it’s me . The UB have basically made themselves a target and so they’ve got to go . As a support we survived before them and we”ll survive after them.
To the UB take it , get a season ticket wherever your put , and let’s get on with it

Interesting. I was in the Main Stand and it was being sung there.
Agree as I was sitting in there singing it! I think everyone who was at that game and everyone who has sung these songs over the years has to take responsibility.
We need to change, we all should accept that.

Wrong to just blame the UB. I think they could come out with a positive here if they engage with the club. They are the life and soul on most match days and would hate to lose them or hate if they went in a huff.

They could engage with the club and be the leaders in changing and influencing the singing in the rest of the stadium in the right way.

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

IMHO the UB need to be embraced. The club need to communicate with them. Introduce a code of conduct including UB stewards. They can help lead the response.

I think everyone has to stop focusing on who's to blame, that part is in the past and everybody has sung the songs at some point.

With that said, UB are in a unique position to drive the changes the club (and everyone) want to see, if they react to this in the correct manner they will thrive and that can only be a good thing for the club, support and the atmosphere.

It's not the UB responsibility to do anything, but I hope they take the opportunity that is glaring them in the face and lead from the front.

So was it just the UB singing the billy boys that??? I or did the rest of the stadium join in. I think i know the answer to this one.......

Ask they question of who reported them .

Some times its the principle not the point that needs to be looked at.

Serious questions need to be asked of FARE and their credibility. They continually attack our club and our club only.
Whilst I agree to an extent, this is largely irrelevant. The facts on the table here are - continue to sing we will be thrown out. Whatever we think of the principle doesn’t matter - we need to stop.

I think everyone has to stop focusing on who's to blame, that part is in the past and everybody has sung the songs at some point.

With that said, UB are in a unique position to drive the changes the club (and everyone) want to see, if they react to this in the correct manner they will thrive and that can only be a good thing for the club, support and the atmosphere.

It's not the UB responsibility to do anything, but I hope they take the opportunity that is glaring them in the face and lead from the front.

So everyone has sung the songs at sometime, it wasn’t just BF1 singing it on that night, but it should be BF1/UB who get punished? Have I got that right?

So everyone has sung the songs at sometime, it wasn’t just BF1 singing it on that night, but it should be BF1/UB who get punished? Have I got that right?
It was BF1 who were reported according to posts above, so that section was always going to be shut down.

No, you haven't got that right, you obviously didn't read my fücking post.

I'm not and never have been a member – but, if I was, I'd be approaching the club in an apologetic manner and asking what the group can do to work with the club in an effort to help educate our wider support – and safeguard the future of the Union Bears.

This is absolutely spot on. If there are members with the maturity and ability to drive this, it’s not out with the realms of possibility that the group along with the club’s excellent media/ short film making department could spearhead a new way forward.

Sorry diehards but it absolutely MUST happen some way or another for the good of Rangers.

I'm not and never have been a member – but, if I was, I'd be approaching the club in an apologetic manner and asking what the group can do to work with the club in an effort to help educate our wider support – and safeguard the future of the Union Bears.

This is absolutely spot on. If there are members with the maturity and ability to drive this, it’s not out with the realms of possibility that the group along with the club’s excellent media/ short film making department could spearhead a new way forward.

Sorry diehards but it absolutely MUST happen some way or another for the good of Rangers.

Indeed maybe some of us who ‘get it’ in terms of what needs to happen should consider joining the UB and help them in this!

Doomsday scenario?
No, it's not.

100% agree with you.

Hints at an agenda that existed before this incident and for that reason I’m out.

I have no agenda, and certainly not one against the fans’s group.

If I did, I wouldn’t be hinting about it – I’d be getting my opinion across as clearly as possible, which I’ve tried to do in the OP.

Im just back from a nightmare journey from Warsaw so I'm not going to reply to the OP as I'll most likely get a ban for doing so.

What I will say though is the UB aren't the only group / section of support that sing and have sung this song. For them to be castigated like this is nothing short of a f**king disgrace.

No one will be getting banned, irrespective of opinion, as long as they put their point across in a matter that doesn’t break FF rules.

This isn’t a dictatorship.
We need to be debating this issue.

Exactly , who needs enemies eh?

The FARE mob must be looking in here laughing saying “ mission complete”

Bears blaming other bears and turning on each other on the say so of undercover mentally challengeds.

It’s embarrassing.

And before the do gooders jump on this im
All for brushing up the songbook in Europe as UEFA Are blinded by these cretins at FARE. We need to be smarter.

But the main objective is the same , they need called out and blacklisted and only the club can do that. They have done everything else in their power.

I get the impresdio
If it doesn’t stop Ibrox will be emptied by UEFA

I know but why are some targeting the UB. There's plenty of others guilty. What about the 1700 in Poland? The club could ban all of them. They were singing TBB. Then there's the travelling fans at Killie. The club know who they are.

Sorry if this has been stated already . I hate to see threads like this with fans debating about where the songs originated in the ground and blaming the Union Bears . But as has been stated this is the line in the sand . Its change or we're fucked.

Last edited:
I get the impresdio

I know but why are some targeting the UB. There's plenty of others guilty. What about the 1700 in Poland? The club could ban all of them. They were singing TBB. Then there's the travelling fans at Killie. The club know who they are.

Because in this situation FARE reported the song beginning from the BF1 section. I’m not saying others did not join in, but as pointed out already when you have someone on a megaphone starting songs it immediately draws attention as it’s louder than anything else. That is what FARE reported to UEFA.

Im not a member but Im a big fan of the UB.

Im disgusted with those in the "wider support" who love nothing better than having a go at the UB while they sit back and contribute little if anything to the atmosphere and support for the team apart from their ST money.

I wouldnt be surprised if the UB walked away from the situation and left the rest to sit in silence.
I'll hand back by season ticket then, as I don't sing at games? I'm an introvert and suffer from a terrible lack of confidence but being amongst like minded Rangers fans gives me a sense of belonging.

The UB guide the larger support but can't be fully blamed for everyone. There are still people around me signing about the pope and 19th Century Terrorist bastards at every home game. The game against the Danes at Ibrox was a breath of fresh air, right up until the 64th minute when at that moment the UB did drop the f-bomb, a shame but to be honest if words hurt so much then maybe ALL football fans should just shut up to stop offending the easily offended.

Let us be honest, we as a support can end this but as we may or may not know, there is sinister work at play and they'd probably turn on something else we sing.

You will always get a sea of people who will join in on the songs, but there is no denying that there are pockets of supporters who act as instigators - UB have been highlighted by UEFA as one of those instigators.

Commonly known as the keep-your-head-buried-in-the-sand approach.

We all know Gerrard's ultimate ambition in management. We knew that when he took the job.

If people think he's going to hang around with the constant threat of or an actual ban from European football then they're beyond delusional. He'd be as well managing Motherwell or St. Johnstone and why would he waste his time doing that? He wants to give us trophies and big European nights.

Some of our support really do need a dose of common sense because it seems to be sorely lacking at the moment.

Don’t see how it helps to apportion the blame to just a section of the support.

Every Rangers fan is collectively to blame for this.

If anything the Union Bears have the most critical part to play in the future. Most of the songs start from their section. Club needs to work with them, tell them explicitly what they don’t want, perhaps even offer the carrot of expanding or moving the section next season if no further unacceptable singing is heard.

If you’re not part of the solution then you are part of the problem

It was BF1 who were reported according to posts above, so that section was always going to be shut down.

Our enemies dont give a shit about the silent majority. They want the vocal fans silenced. That's why they've targeted BF1.

Of course the UB dont need to look across the city to find enemies. There's plenty of fans with great seats they've had for 30 years who'd love nothing better than to see the end of safe standing. They value some things more than atmosphere. That's their choice but they then accuse the UB of being selfish and self important.

This is music to the ears of Liewell and the GB.

We need the Union Bears. The club need the Union Bears. They generate an atmosphere that is very much appreciated and contributes to the atmosphere and matchday experience.

But the Union Bears also need the club.

There is a massive opportunity here to wipe the slate clean and for the UB and the club to engage in a program that continues to drive a good atmosphere, engages the fans from other parts of the ground and keeps the songbook within the guidelines required to not damage the club.

For that to happen, both parties need to be a bit more flexible.

I genuinely hope that a solution can be found and a pragmatic and mature attitude prevails.

To be honest I would be a hypocrite for having a go at people who sing the songs I always have, BUT, having official fans groups singing songs like the 50p flute is just brain dead and obviously has to stop.

Why are everybody blaming the union bears and putting it all on them to sort out the song list.when I have been at Ibrox or watching the games on rtv tbb or super ranges is started by the other parts of the stadium.70% of what the ub’s sing is about rangers or the players.they have brought back some old rangers songs.i have even heard them singing rangers easy ok.

So by your own admission that means 30% of the songs they sing have nothing to do with Rangers. The songs should be 100% about Rangers.

Don’t get me wrong I love the atmosphere the UB bring to Ibrox and dread to think what the place would be like without them, but it’s now time they dropped singing fūck the IRA, singing about 19th Century Terrorist bastards and Bobby Sands etc.

Incidentally how can you tell from watching a game on TV what part of the stadium a song breaks out?

I don't think it's the point he was making, but it does inadvertently point out that Rangers existed before the UB and will exist after them. We stamped out the song before and can do it again.

Personally I hope the UB remain, they aren't the only guilty party but doesn't change the fact that they need to adapt or be dissolved.

I’m fully aware of that

But let’s not delude ourselves. As it stands, without the UB Ibrox would be a library every single week

There’s a reason folk keep mentioning Parma, Kiev etc as examples of great nights. Since then you could count within 2 hands since Parma how many proper noisy atmospheres there’s been at Ibrox for the full duration of a game

Just read half way through page 1 of this and the replies are worrying. By all means defend the UBs but the OP is bang on.

It's up to the UBs now, it was their section that was reported, as it was their section the alkie Clarke cried about last season. The club has acted with that and thats why BF1 is one of the sections closed v Legia.

They can go two ways lead or follow the replys on the first page and claim its not their fault they being picked on etc etc.

They take the second option and start having protests against the club the club may very well disband them and it's not something I or anyone want to see.

As I see it someone has to carry the can for all this and UEFA have told rangers to get it sorted . The UB are the scapegoat and for me it’s not just the singing . It’s the smokebombs , the “ look at us “ attitude . At rugby park had young ones ( I strongly suspect they were part of UB), ran on the park and jumped on the disabled roof . Now had they not done that we would have won the moral high ground and with regards to the ticket shambles and the crushing , we would’ve hung Kilmarnock out to dry . Because of what else happened we were painted as the bad guys . Yes I sing TBB, yes I sing them all . But when I sing them in my seat nobody from Fare knows it’s me . The UB have basically made themselves a target and so they’ve got to go . As a support we survived before them and we”ll survive after them.
To the UB take it , get a season ticket wherever your put , and let’s get on with it

You assume those on top of the disabled roof were UB?

Even though UB were centre behind the goals and the disabled roof was at the corner flag

You’re not the brightest are you?

Back