Have we been conditioned to expect an underwhelming appointment?

This two week international break was perfect timing to get a manager in and give them time they wouldn't normally get to acclimatize. Getting someone in now or later this month makes it difficult with a tough schedule ahead. Waiting longer puts at risk how effective we can be in the January transfer window.

Even if we were after an international coach, it should have all been pre agreed and ready to complete right after the international stuff had finish.

The more time this takes the more the board look like amateurs

Let’s face it, in our current situation we cannot attract a top tier manager.
Scottish football is poor our finances are in the same category.
It would not surprise me if it’s another up and coming manager, another gamble.
Who he is I don’t know, but until share issues, retail money ST monies start to hit our bank and we are going to have to suck it up.
Is McInnes an up and coming manager I don’t think so, can he get closer or overtake Celtc, well that’s what the large debates about.
Pedro’s results cost him but ultimately Oct is never a good time to look for a manager.
Attracting somebody to our club with no Europe and limited funds is a tough ask just now.
I’m not defeatist just pointing out exactly where we are.

To be fair if you were daft enough to believe we were getting the likes of Tuchel then your deserve to be left 'underwhelmed'.

The most depressing thing is we were all having the same conversation midway through last season when the board dithered for ages and then produced Pedro from nowhere.

Warburton resigned on 10th February 2017.
Caixinha was appointed on 11th March 2017.

That was a swift appointment by any standards. I don't know where this myth has come from that we took ages appointing a manager and ended up with Pedro.

I am not getting at the poster I am replying to as loads quote this sort of thing and it quite simply isn't true. The Board is actually taking a bit of time this time round it seems in an effort to avoid being rushed and ill-considered (like last time you could certainly argue).

Last edited:
This two week international break was perfect timing to get a manager in and give them time they wouldn't normally get to acclimatize. Getting someone in now or later this month makes it difficult with a tough schedule ahead. Waiting longer puts at risk how effective we can be in the January transfer window.

Even if we were after an international coach, it should have all been pre agreed and ready to complete right after the international stuff had finish.

The more time this takes the more the board look like amateurs

Agree with this. It was an ideal opportunity to go and get who they wanted and get them in the door to start working with the squad.

If we're now to believe that Murty will be in charge of the next four games, we'll be into December before we have a new man at the helm and January moves will be based on just a few weeks with the squad he has currently to assess requirements.

Ultimately it does look like the financial hamstring we have is leaving us waiting in hope, rather than being able to proactively target who we want.

Warburton resigned on 17th February 2017.
Caixinha was appointed on 11th March 2017.

That was a swift appointment by any standards. I don't know where this myth has come from that we took ages appointing a manager and ended up with Pedro.

I am not getting at the poster I am replying to as loads quote this sort of thing and it quite simply isn't true. The Board is actually taking a bit of time this time round it seems in an effort to avoid being rushed and ill-considered (like last time you could certainly argue).

Warbuton left on the 10th February.

It’s McInnes. Always has been.

I think there was a bit of conditioning going on with the rumours of Maclaran and Neill. Hey presto, McInnes suddenly seems like José Mourinho...

But now the delay is for the following possible reasons:

-the club are becoming obsessed with being seen to trawl for candidates so McInnes doesn’t look like the shoe-in he always was. An “exhaustive search” for the benefit of shareholders and the AGM
-Aberdeen won’t let him go until after the double-header. So we’re stalling

Doesn't matter who gets it the majority of fans are not going to be happy,The board are in a no win situation and are guaranteed to get it in the neck.

Murty would be a disastrous move and the calls for him show how short-term our thinking is. Win a couple of games and you become the Messiah. Utterly bonkers.

Get on the phone to Aberdeen today and sort out a deal for McInnes. It's not a sexy appointment I grant you,but he will improve us and that's what's required. His knowing the club is(despite what some think) an advantage as well. He's done as well as could be expected in his current role.
To be honest it's a no brainer.

I think there was a bit of conditioning going on with the rumours of Maclaran and Neill. Hey presto, McInnes suddenly seems like José Mourinho...

-the club are becoming obsessed with being seen to trawl for candidates so McInnes doesn’t look like the shoe-in he always was. An “exhaustive search” for the benefit of shareholders and the AGM

Would Aberdeen want to keep a manager in charge for a double header against the team he is about to join? Would McInnes want to stay on, knowing that two wins in that double header would make his next job a hell of a lot harder?

I think you might be over thinking it. If McInnes isn't appointed before the double header then i'd be pretty shocked if he was our next manager. I actually think if he was going to be appointed it would have happened by now. I could well be wrong though.

I've a feeling this might drag on for a few more weeks yet. My gut suspicion is that if Murty wins the next two games then the board give him the job, at least until the end of the season. Note that's not what i think should happen, just a feeling on how i see it playing out.

NewcoTed now saying its likely Murty will be in charge of this next 4 games.

If this happens this board can honestly get to feck.

No disrespect to Murty hes doing a great job as caretaker but the board really need a new man in sooner than that.

If he does get the next 4 then I would hope they just give him another 4 after that because I have £20 on him at 9/1. ha

It doesn’t matter if Aberdeen don’t want to lose him until after the double header. He has a release clause and if we trigger that then the Sheep are powerless. If Murty is in charge for those games and we drop points then the mood will turn very sour.

The first match at Ibrox is the night before the AGM. A draw or defeat at home will have the fans baying for blood the following morning. The board are playing a very risky game here.

I think the delay may be to do with funding. Any new manager coming in and being tasked with getting us back to the top of the league, winning cups and performing well in Europe will demand a hefty budget to assist in achieving that. It may be that funding will only become available after the AGM....which leaves us in a bit of limbo.

It could be that the new appointment won't happen until the end of the year, probably with the new manager taking the reins after the Celtic match, and with the transfer window available for one or two quality signings.

Murty will be left in charge until then, with the board hoping he can keep the team playing well enough to be sitting in second place.

Possibly...
No manager will be provided with funding until January regardless.

Dave King is not stupid

There is 0% chance that he is walking into that AGM this month without a new manager at his side.

This better be sorted at the very latest by next wednesday.

The board really do love their six games in charge with Murty don't they ?

The board really do love their six games in charge with Murty don't they ?

if true, bordering on unfit for purpose.
If there's one thing they don't like, Is being queastioned by the support.

They need the heat turned up on them truth be told.

What would the reason be for that delay?
He says the board still have no preferred candidate. It’s incredible how that can even be possible right enough considering they’ve had three weeks of inviting CV’s in order to replace a manager who was clearly on a shaky peg for months even prior to his departure. They should have had a shortlist with a preferred candidate drawn up a long time ago.

He says the board still have no preferred candidate. It’s incredible how that can even be possible right enough considering they’ve had three weeks of inviting CV’s in order to replace a manager who was clearly on a shaky peg for months even prior to his departure. They should have had a shortlist with a preferred candidate drawn up a long time ago.

King simply has to pull rank and fast.
I'm holding on to the hope that he knows they'll be slaughtered at the AGM if they havent sorted it.

We'll get the usual excuses of don't want to rush, need to take time blah, blah. IMO, this board are fudging the managerial appointment. They are terrified to pull the trigger because of a fear of failure

Let's face it. This has been coming since July and Progres. The wheels should've been in motion long before now.

That's pretty shocking. Even if Pedro was performing well we should still have contingencies in place.

I generally agree in that I expect McInnes to come in and it's simply a delay due to some kind of snags.

I think it's entirely plausible that, in addition to your theories, that:

- The compensation fee is a stumbling block (possibly required up-front)
- There is a lack of consensus between board and DoF over McInnes suitability (my hunch is this is playing at least some part in all this. Purely a hunch mind)

I am a long way from buying that this is simply all part of a planned process with expressions of interest turning into invites to apply, to be reviewed and then interviewed.

The board better have a good manager lined up after all this time.

This has proved again how useless Robertson is and how we Ned to stop running the club by group.

As Iv'e said before , taking their time is a shrewd move only if it doesn't end in another Pedro.

We look to have been winging it since Pedro departed.

It's not a snide dig ,it's looking at what's in front of you and coming to a conclusion.

This is getting really frustrating and worrying now. I've stuck up for the board every time because of what they have done and are doing for us.

However, it was clear from the outset that Pedro was a crazy appointment and to let him loose with cash was utter madness, Pena, Herrera.

We are miles away from the papes and probably will be for the foreseeable. We need to go on runs of winning games not fannying about throwing points away to shite at home like we did under Pedro. The last game against thistle a good example, we were poor but won 3-0 by being reasonably organised, well done Murty and probably Miller.

Murty would be another gamble as he's unproven and the last thing we need is another gamble. Therefore the obvious appointment is Mcinnes. He knows Rangers, played under Walter and Adcocaat and would have us rolling the sleeves up and digging in to churn out wins in the ugly games. If and when we start to do this regularly we can then start to put a bit of pressure on the rhats.

Mcinnes is a no brainier so it's concerning that we don't appear any closer to appointing someone.

It's obvious - the board are useless and should resign immediately. A new board drawn up from the 'know-it-all' business wizards on FF will then go out and shake the money tree, gather up fairy dust, wave their magic wands and appoint Pep Guardiola.

We really need to take a deep breath and count to ten.

The board is what we have and are a site better than what we had.

Let's see what happens

We'll get the usual excuses of don't want to rush, need to take time blah, blah. IMO, this board are fudging the managerial appointment. They are terrified to pull the trigger because of a fear of failure

Let's face it. This has been coming since July and Progres. The wheels should've been in motion long before now.

I think this is likely to be what's happening. Scared to appoint someone so hold off under the illusion they are taking their time.

I have a terrible feeling this isn't going to go well.

Was just speaking to someone in the office about that. If this was 15 years ago bearing in mind we are only 6 behind them right now and have a half decent squad we would be at the unsettled stage with rumblings of protests.

Not anymore most of the bears I meet are suggesting we give it to Murty.

Depressing times.

All logic suggests this cannot be the issue.

If that's the case it's either one of two things .

McInnes is the man we want but are waiting until the double header with the sheep is over., maybe even at his request.

Murty is on trial for the actual position, if he does well he gets the gig.

Murty is not the answer!! Christ do people not remember last season, We were murder under him other than a draw at the piggery. Now this time he’s had two games against two of the worst teams in the league and people think he’s Pep Guardiola.

We are one bad result away from this going really badly and people turning on the board.

Management is a steep learning curve and maybe he's learned from that! He obviously has his weaknesses but there are no viable candidates that don't also have

When Pedro left everyone and their Granny mentioned how important this appointment was and the board taking their time was paramount to getting it right.

This is exactly what they are doing. We have a safe pair of hands in Murty and the next 2 games aren't exactly the most difficult.

The board aren't going to rush anything just to appease the impatient messageboard poster :)

If that's the case it's either one of two things .

McInnes is the man we want but are waiting until the double header with the sheep is over., maybe even at his request.

Murty is on trial for the actual position, if he does well he gets the gig.
The first thing would be mental. What if Murty beat McInnes in the double header?

That's pretty shocking. Even if Pedro was performing well we should still have contingencies in place.

Absolutely. Contingency plans should be clearly mapped out because a manager could leave if performing well too. The club should always be prepared for the possibility that we lose a manager and have clear targets lined up. If Pedro had aced the start of the season, got us into EL, had us top of the league and beaten the mhanks, then (hypothetically) Everton or West Ham came along and poached him away, we wouldn't want to drop form and go into a limbo period.

We'd want to keep momentum and get a new manager in fast to pick up the reins and continue the run.

If there's any truth in that then it has backfired, as most will now expect that we are aiming higher than McInnes and that is the reason for the delay.

I will be slightly disapointed if it's McInnes now if I'm being honest.

Probably already been covered but I just read on Sky that ourselves Scotland and USA are interested in Michael oneill. They also believe he'd prefer a club

didnt someone post here that the board set a deadline of Dec 5th? which seemed a tad silly but now im not so sure

Back