Mark Allen - Officially gone

The main thing for me in all of this is ensuring that SG is kept happy and nothing happens to destabilise our manager. We need him to be 100% contented with everything at the club.

He is living away from his family - a huge sacrifice - and he doesn't need the money.

Keep SG happy and we will be fine. That is the key.

Hardly players miles off the radar, hardly innovative out the box discoveries. I'd also argue you've clearly picked some of the better ones and the better pedigrees....I can throw in several from recently who are clearly neither going to deliver and are going to bleed us dry.

I'd debate if SG wasn't aware of all of them except Katic (and indeed some might be more SG than MA and over a few seasons that's frankly not very impressive.
Not every transfer works out.

I suggest you go and find out what Allen's role was before coming on here and making a fool of yourself.

In the summer, Gerrard identified the need for left-sided players and we signed Helander and Aribo. Coincidence?

Gerrard went to Allen with targets. Allen then went to Scoulding and his team and they looked for players who fitted the bill. Once those players were identified, Allen reported to Gerrard for the final say.

This is a pertinent point which I think we know the answer to.
It will almost certainly be someone with Gerrards approval which is completely wrong and arse from elbow and leaves us totally exposed when he leaves with nearly all his staff.

HOWEVER, we are bang in the middle of a high stakes game here-a support and club starved of success and the mutants on the cusp of something none of us ever thought we’d have to contemplate.

Not really thinking straight, gambling purely for the short term and putting all our eggs in one scouse basket?
Would it be worth it for 1 league title before June 2020?
Obviously the manager would be consulted out of professional courtesy but he can't be seen to be approving anyone appointed above him in the club's hierarchy as though he had a direct input in that person's recruitment. That would just be plain wrong. As I said, this is a headache which the board no doubt may well have foreseen but may not have planned extensively for unless the rumours of discontent with Allen's 'hit' rate in the transfer market have more credence than some other reasons for his departure.

Gerrard is without doubt the club's figurehead but he's clearly a relative novice in the hands on aspect of management structures in a football club. And whilst the board have undoubtedly backed him by securing Ryan Kent, they can continue to deliver further on their promise to back him financially but at the same time leave him in no doubt as to where the power lies. He hasn't won anything yet so as to make demands impacting the club's structure above him. To afford Stevie free reign at this juncture would be counterproductive if you ask me.

The can offer him a directorship once he wins the treble!

There was a worry there was a bit of unrest behind the scenes that caused this but the fact the club and Allen are commenting does suggest it is on good terms. Be interesting to see who comes in in his place.
Anyone but Martin fuckin Bain

The main thing for me in all of this is ensuring that SG is kept happy and nothing happens to destabilise our manager. We need him to be 100% contented with everything at the club.

He is living away from his family - a huge sacrifice - and he doesn't need the money.

Keep SG happy and we will be fine. That is the key.
The board will always back the manager

I expect more will come out on this in the coming days, you do not announce something like this the Friday night before a game unless there is something more going on in the background.

My guess it is a combination of the board wanting rid of him and potential new job prospects for Allen, a glowing club statement thanking him for his work with a mutual termination may just suit all parties.

The background team that Gerrard has assembled has been top quality, he will know exactly what is needed to move the club forward. What we don’t want is the board starting to get overly involved in the football side again, that is why we ended up with Caixinha

A strange one but personally i didn't think he done enough,good luck to him wherever he goes but he's probably sitting on a seven rating when all told.

Is he a big loss ? Time will tell.

Yep. And they can't afford not to mate.

I'm just nervous about King, Park and Robertson when it comes to the football side. Their record is not the greatest

Fortunately SG has assembled a good team around him. That'll be the saviour.
None of them interfere with the football side so there is no need to worry.

Why would it not be more a case of the club knew that things had been done so badly that we were seriously hampering our progress and decided to go in a new direction? Why would that have to be seen as a negative? The person who is right from the start is not the wise man, he is the knowledgeable man. The wise man is the man who is wrong at the start and changes his mind, after-all.

Why, also, are you going off on a weird, unrelated tangent?

YOU said that Allen going was proof of a lack of strategy from the board.

YOU, in the very next statement said that it was your opinion.

I simply pointed out to you that the first sentence could only be true if you changed IMO to I know.

The big rant you went on after that was you, clearly, agreeing with me but still contriving to find some point of contention.

I have absolutely no idea whether there will be a change in strategy now, either pre-planned or as a result of Allen leaving. I have no real idea if he did a good job or not and I do not know if the board would be better changing tact now. I have no horse in this race and I am simply watching on hoping it all works out for the best. You are taking this departure as proof, in your own words, that the board have fucked up again. Whether you intend it or not, it very much looks like you are implanting your own wishes on the situation, making it fit the view you already hold, rather than taking it at face value and evaluating it as a discrete incident.

I think you are actually more obsessed with proving me wrong that thinking about what the club is doing.
We have went from Warburton to Pedro then to Mark Allen tried to get McInness and then ended up with SG.
We have spunked millions on disasters of signings.
We have grown the squad massively and yet only have 2 strikers and have key question marks over LB and indeed over the midfield balance.

I stated and asked long and weary how did the SG/MA interface work? Ask others, ask about forget me I have had heard from three different sources close to the action it didn't work. You find me one that says it did and MA has just left as people do as a matter of course-people do leave jobs. This has been brewing.

You tell me when we get to January if we require to get players in and tweak it around how we do it? I would suggest and I'm open to other opinions we will require a big exit transfer fee to fund things going forward.

Last year we lost the league partly because in January Celtic brought in players who made a difference and we brought in two players who required months to get up to speed.

We all it hopes out for the best my argument is we do have a chance because we really should be away from the pack-but as a joined up strategy? I don't think it's been neat and that's because we had no genuine plan to start with.

I know and all of a sudden we have players worth an average of 5 million pounds.
Some saying the squad of 11 is valued at 60 mill.
Ffing cuckoo land
Starting 11 with conservative estimates is close to 60 million
with another 30 players worth say 40 million in all, 100 million plus/minus 10 million
McGregor 1
Tav 6 Goldson 4 Katic 5 Barisic 4
Jack 4 Kamara 5 Aribo 4
Arfield 4 Morelos 12 Kent 7

I tweeted about this a few hours ago (saw the pelters I was getting on here earlier but hey ho, I'd heard it from a trusted source so it was water off a duck`s back ). From what I know the Rangers statement on this was magnanimous to say the least. Mark Allen was strongly "encouraged" to go due to issues around outgoing summer transfers.

A strange one but personally i didn't think he done enough,good luck to him wherever he goes but he's probably sitting on a seven rating when all told.

Is he a big loss ? Time will tell.
This is mental. Check the value of the squad from when he joined to when he left. And don't underestimate his role in bringing Gerrard to the club.

Gerrard said much the same. When titles have been up for grabs we’ve been found to be chokers, is Gerrard a bullshitter too?

Gerrard's main job isnt recruitment. He has to manage a squad of players. Not all of them will be winners. Allen's main role is identifying players ALL of whom should be winners, according to him. Cant you see the difference?

I think you are actually more obsessed with proving me wrong that thinking about what the club is doing.
If it were in any way a challenge I might find joy in it. Alas...

'We have went from Warburton to Pedro then to Mark Allen tried to get McInness and then ended up with SG.
We have grown the squad massively and yet only have 2 strikers and have key question marks over LB and indeed over the midfield balance.

I stated and asked long and weary how did the SG/MA interface work? Ask others, ask about forget me I have had heard from three different sources close to the action it didn't work. You find me one that says it did and MA has just left as people do as a matter of course-people do leave jobs. This has been brewing.

You tell me when we get to January if we require to get players in and tweak it around how we do it? I would suggest and I'm open to other opinions we will require a big exit transfer fee to fund things going forward.

Last year we lost the league partly because in January Celtic brought in players who made a difference and we brought in two players who required months to get up to speed.

We all it hopes out for the best my argument is we do have a chance because we really should be away from the pack-but as a joined up strategy? I don't think it's been neat and that's because we had no genuine plan to start with.'

Again, you are looking for a fight that is just not there :D You could be right on absolutely all of that. You could be wrong. I would, again, point out that changing strategy, especially with all those blunders you mention, is a positive and not a negative.

You are very, very clearly taking a situation you know next to nothing about in terms of the inner workings, and making it fit your bleak outlook on life as a Rangers supporter. It is patently obvious. If there are 2 ways to look at something, you will ALWAYS look at it in the worst possible terms.

Believe this next part or not, but I knew pretty much word for word what you would post on this thread as I watched it bloom.

with another 30 players worth say 40 million in all, 100 million plus/minus 10 million
McGregor 1
Jack 4 Kamara 5 Aribo 4
Kamara in a few months is now 100 times more than we bought him for.
And he has been rank this season.
Barisic - a right back who came for nothing gets a game in front of him and he s doubled his transfer fee.
Arfield in his 30s.
You either know nothing about football or your at the wind up.

We have went from Warburton to Pedro then to Mark Allen tried to get McInness and then ended up with SG.

We all it hopes out for the best my argument is we do have a chance because we really should be away from the pack-but as a joined up strategy? I don't think it's been neat and that's because we had no genuine plan to start with.

Absolutely nothing to do with that. We lost the league drawing to dundee, st johnstone, G changing it away to killie and worral losing us the goal. Firing 3 blanks vs hibs in December.

But they won the league because of Oli Burke and co? Ok.

McGregor 1
Jack 4 Kamara 5 Aribo 4

The constant under valuing players of ours on here is baffling

Maybe time for SG to keep us happy now, by winning something.
Agreed. But we don't want to place intolerable demands on him to such an extent that he wants to leave. He's building something which looks more like a proper club than at any time since Advocaat was given free licence. He has delivered European football properly and all the financial reward that that entails for two consecutive seasons. That shouldn't be underestimated. Does he need to win a cup this season? I would say 'yes'. Does he need to win the league? I'm honestly undecided on that. The pre-admin side of my brain says 'yes' but the post 2012 side says 'no'. Does he have to stop 'ten'? Absolutely! The guy knows that himself and his ambition to clean up this year makes my previous sentences almost academic.

This DoF situation is an interesting development. As long as we continue to improve aspects of the club that we have direct control over, then that is of paramount importance.

Not every transfer works out.

I suggest you go and find out what Allen's role was before coming on here and making a fool of yourself.

In the summer, Gerrard identified the need for left-sided players and we signed Helander and Aribo. Coincidence?

Gerrard went to Allen with targets. Allen then went to Scoulding and his team and they looked for players who fitted the bill. Once those players were identified, Allen reported to Gerrard for the final say.

That's my point the club has never revealed how it worked. You are suggesting you do. I am suggesting there is evidence to suggest that it didn't work like you suggested.....

Apologies for the link to the Record but it gives a list of signings in Mark Allen's time - all 37 - that's easier to reference than typing them all out on here. I’m on phone so maybe someone could copy and paste for me?

The good, the bad...and the ugly (aka Grezda). The scores from the Record are pish in many cases, but that’s to be expected.

Small gripe but how the fuck have they given both Worrall and Katic a 7?
One was rotten and the other has been one of Allen’s best signings.

I tweeted about this a few hours ago (saw the pelters I was getting on here earlier but hey ho, I'd heard it from a trusted source so it was water off a duck`s back ). From what I know the Rangers statement on this was magnanimous to say the least. Mark Allen was strongly "encouraged" to go due to issues around outgoing summer transfers.

Any idea whether we’re likely to replace him mate?

If it were in any way a challenge I might find joy in it. Alas...

'We have went from Warburton to Pedro then to Mark Allen tried to get McInness and then ended up with SG.

We all it hopes out for the best my argument is we do have a chance because we really should be away from the pack-but as a joined up strategy? I don't think it's been neat and that's because we had no genuine plan to start with.'

Again, you are looking for a fight that is just not there You could be right on absolutely all of that. You could be wrong. I would, again, point out that changing strategy, especially with all those blunders you mention, is a positive and not a negative.

You are very, very clearly taking a situation you know next to nothing about in terms of the inner workings, and making it fit your bleak outlook on life as a Rangers supporter. It is patently obvious. If there are 2 ways to look at something, you will ALWAYS look at it in the worst possible terms.

Believe this next part or not, but I knew pretty much word for word what you would post on this thread as I watched it bloom.

I don't look at in the worst possible terms at all...I think SG has been a success and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm defending him on here when a lot of the current devotees can't take a set back or two.

It's not rocket science mate some of us said we didn't need a DOF as far as I can see a few years later he hasn't left much of a legacy. We didn't bring in SG to support a DOF we brought him in as his own man.....today I would suggest shows that.

By the way you've never addressed a single point about where we are this season.

Absolutely nothing to do with that. We lost the league drawing to dundee, st johnstone, G changing it away to killie and worral losing us the goal. Firing 3 blanks vs hibs in December.

But they won the league because of Oli Burke and co? Ok.

Their players had a bigger impact than ours.....by far.

Txiki Begiristain or Luís Campos.

More realistically, should we maybe be looking to the Eridivise or somewhere else in mainland Europe for our next DOF considering the success a lot of the “lesser” teams have of finding, developing and selling for a profit? Or will it be a British based DOF?

This adds up.

Books need to be balanced and for the second summer in three years, the men signing the cheques have had to pay off contractual millstones. Something which we as a club generally speaking, seem to be without peer.

This has to change for good going forward.

Last edited:
That's my point the club has never revealed how it worked. You are suggesting you do. I am suggesting there is evidence to suggest that it didn't work like you suggested.....
It has been revealed numerous times how it worked.

Whether it worked well or not, it's how it worked in the main.

Back