Mark Allen - Officially gone

Slightly puzzled by this! Don’t know what to make of it.

Will we miss Allen? I hope we replace him.

This is mental. Check the value of the squad from when he joined to when he left. And don't underestimate his role in bringing Gerrard to the club.

The value of the squad is very little at present compared to what has been spent over his tenure,we have won zilch during his time here.

We are sitting with loads of potential - I'll give you that.

Like i said...He's probably sitting with a seven from ten and that's me being generous.

What say someone who wants to be involved in football still but thinks the peak of his management side of things is in the past? And who has mutual respect with Gerrard?

Rafa coming to Glasgow after all?

I don't look at in the worst possible terms at all...I think SG has been a success and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm defending him on here when a lot of the current devotees can't take a set back or two.

It's not rocket science mate some of us said we didn't need a DOF as far as I can see a few years later he hasn't left much of a legacy. We didn't bring in SG to support a DOF we brought him in as his own man.....today I would suggest shows that.

By the way you've never addressed a single point about where we are this season.
Andy Scoulding: "As a department our job is to provide the manager with options and the Director of Football with a body of evidence as to why an individual can come in and play and win for Rangers Football Club."

What say someone who wants to be involved in football still but thinks the peak of his management side of things is in the past? And who has mutual respect with Gerrard?

Rafa coming to Glasgow after all?
Ha ha. Keep dreaming amigo!

Andy Scoulding: "As a department our job is to provide the manager with options and the Director of Football with a body of evidence as to why an individual can come in and play and win for Rangers Football Club."

So are you suggesting then after this transfer window all was well behind the scenes? The floor is yours....

So are you suggesting then after this transfer window all was well behind the scenes? The floor is yours....
There were issues regarding getting players out the door.

However, Gerrard got his main targets in that he wanted. Left-sided players in Helander and Aribo and a quality attacker in Kent.

Gerrard's main job isnt recruitment. He has to manage a squad of players. Not all of them will be winners. Allen's main role is identifying players ALL of whom should be winners, according to him. Cant you see the difference?

It’s not Allen’s main role though and Gerrard has the final say on ALL signings, you’re being contradicting yourself and giving leeway to Gerrard and none to Allen.

By the way, if it’s true that he was ‘encouraged to go’, what is the point of having a DoF? I mean really, if you’re not going to take his advice and his input seriously what is the point of it at all....

From what I remember, Mark Allen was signed first as D of F. S.G. came completely out of the blue some time later so, MA was in place and was beavering away at deals while SG settled in. His remit must have been to work with the manager and put a half decent team on the pitch until SG got up to speed with what he had. This he did and we have seen the results. I do not know the gentleman and have never met him so, I have no opinions on his personality or his acumen in picking players. We have however a half decent team for the first time since Walter left so, we shouldn't be on here,screaming blue murder if the papes manage to beat us.

The man was hired to do a job, he did it and he goes with ,at least ,my thanks.

Just a rabid messaging me saying the rats are starting to jump from a sinking ship, gerrard will be next and we won’t see the end of the season
We consume their every thought.

Maybe best if they concern themselves with the civil lawsuits that are about to land on their desk.

Forever to be know as Paedophile FC.

There were issues regarding getting players out the door.

However, Gerrard got his main targets in that he wanted. Left-sided players in Helander and Aribo and a quality attacker in Kent.

Why would that matter if it was all joined up?
Things go wrong, signings go wrong-why would Mark Allen carry the can for signings going out if SG had the final say in them coming in in the first place?

The answer is simple they didn't work together totally-it wasn't integrated-they did their own thing and then it was forced together-my understanding is SG had to deal with MA's recruitment ideas as part of the process...and now it's got to the stage where either the conflict has taken it's toll or SG has said enough is enough....

To link Kent with MA is laughable.

By the way, if it’s true that he was ‘encouraged to go’, what is the point of having a DoF? I mean really, if you’re not going to take his advice and his input seriously what is the point of it at all....

There was never much of a point....from where we were and what the target was.

Things go wrong, signings go wrong-why would Mark Allen carry the can for signings going out if SG had the final say in them coming in in the first place?

The answer is simple they didn't work together totally-it wasn't integrated-they did their own thing and then it was forced together-my understanding is SG had to deal with MA's recruitment ideas as part of the process...and now it's got to the stage where either the conflict has taken it's toll or SG has said enough is enough....

Why is that laughable?

Your tedious posts are laughable.

I didn't say it was down to Allen that Kent signed. You asked if all was well and I told you Gerrard got his main targets in.

In an incoming sense, Gerrard got what he wanted. In an outgoing sense, both Gerrard and the board never got what they wanted.

Sorry he is going as he seems to have a great relationship with SG Best of luck to him for the future.

Your tedious posts are laughable.

I didn't say it was down to Allen that Kent signed. You asked if all was well and I told you Gerrard got his main targets in.

In an incoming sense, Gerrard got what he wanted. In an outgoing sense, both Gerrard and the board never got what they wanted.

So why does MA carry the can if SG said I want Grezda and Greg Stewart?

Let's be clear here I was calling the whole thing out last season when we signed an injured player for the best part of 2.5M who flopped badly...somebody should have said oi wait a minute.

And I feel the same way about Kent someone higher up than SG should have said that's too much of our cash in one basket.

@ID10 obviously doesn’t feel comfortable discussing the issues he encountered with M.A & after everything he & 4lads have done for the club & the info they pass on to us supporters I respect his decision not to elaborate.

Both Stevie & @SDF did say that they’d been through it all before & got slaughtered for it though...so does anyone have a rough idea what the nature of the issues were?

It’s not Allen’s main role though and Gerrard has the final say on ALL signings, you’re being contradicting yourself and giving leeway to Gerrard and none to Allen.

No Im not. Allen said himself that it was his job to identify players and create a list for Gerrard having carried out all the background checks. Gerrard doesnt have time to do this and relies on the DOF.

Allen outlined the critetia for inclusion on this list. Among the things he highlighted were our ethos, philosophy and footballing strategy. He also claimed that he looked for players with a winning mentality. When I read this I thought he was full of bullshit. I think he's been found out.

Just picked this bit out and I think you are completely wrong.

“Do we really think we are going out to head hunt a DOF with SG in charge? I could be wrong but I doubt it.”

Read the Beale interview on the other thread. He suggests what Gerrard is good at and what he likes to do, i.e. man management, selecting the right team, planning - in other words the stuff that involves the daily contact with his players. We already know that Gerrard is happy to step in and talk to potential recruits to get them over the line. He will continue to do so.

Spending his day dealing with Agents though? Negotiating new contracts? Going to Board meetings and asking for funds? Managing the Academy staff? Etc etc.

To me that’s not what Gerrard wants and I suspect it’s not his forte either. For one thing, where’s he finding the time to take on this stuff? Rangers is too big for the out-dated model of the 60/70s where the Manager does everything.

We either need a new DoF or we need others to step up and fill the void. Gerrard hasn’t the time for any of it over and above what he does at present

I agree but I dont think another DOF is the right way to go. Perhaps SG himself will have a better solution with some other appointments.

IF a replacement brought in....... Gough??
Richard Gough is a decent shout. He would command Gerrard's respect and he'll have had exposure to dealing with agents whilst at Almondvale. He obviously has extensive experience of professional setups in Britain, America and no doubt elsewhere. And of course, is known to the board.

Never seemed fully comfortable with the scrutiny and public spotlight that comes with being at Rangers.
Complete gut reaction, and could be totally wrong, but always thought he looked a bit shifty.

Sorry he is going as he seems to have a great relationship with SG Best of luck to him for the future.

On the surface yes, but what was it really like? I have no inside knowledge but I did speculate a while back on here that things may not be all they seem. It was only a guess but it might prove to have been a good one. Time will tell.

IF a replacement brought in....... Gough??

No, No , No!

Not just having a dig at yourself mate as I’ve seen plenty post similar just because their suggestions have a link to us.

Unless it’s an ex player who has gained relevant qualifications for the dof role the way Van Der Sar did.

If an ex player happens to be the best candidate for ANY job on the Footballing side I’d be delighted...failing that they should be limited to Ambassador roles etc.

No Im not. Allen said himself that it was his job to identify players and create a list for Gerrard having carried out all the background checks. Gerrard doesnt have time to do this and relies on the DOF.

Allen outlined the critetia for inclusion on this list. Among the things he highlighted were our ethos, philosophy and footballing strategy. He also claimed that he looked for players with a winning mentality. When I read this I thought he was full of bullshit. I think he's been found out.

No his job was to oversee the emplacement of a coherent system that included scouting and a structured youth set up. There was a lot more to his job than merely identifying players, that’s before we get to the fact he had scouts working beneath him.

And you didn’t answer my question, Gerrard stressed we needed winners and he’d be recruiting players with that winning mentality and the mental tenacity required. Its important to remember that he has the final say on ALL signings. Now, in the big moments in competitive games we’ve almost always choked, hence no cup finals and one OF win when the title was actually within achievable distance and still up for grabs; in light of this, is Gerrard a bullshitter?

On the surface yes, but what was it really like? I have no inside knowledge but I did speculate a while back on here that things may not be all they seem. It was only a guess but it might prove to have been a good one. Time will tell.

Therein lies the issue mate, you’re taking wild guesses based on what you want to be true. “I did speculate”, but why? What’s the point of speculating on anything with no knowledge or evidence of something?

I’ve no idea who he signed or didn’t sign. Who he got on with and who he didn’t.

So, thanks for the efforts Mark and good luck. That’s pretty much all I can say.

Time will tell if we miss him or not. As for new DoF, personally I’d be asking StevieG what his thoughts are first. Keep him happy and all works for me.

Who was our DOF during nine in a row ? Modern day pish..... bring back a David Holmes type character and ditch penfold

Thankfully the board are forward thinking and not dinosaurs. 9 in a row was over 20 years ago by the way.
Well aware that it was over 20 yrs ago, my point was that we didn’t need a DOF then but need a better “spokesman” than Stewart NOW

Last edited:
Back