Mark daly at it again

Is Alistair Hood still alive?

No - died in 2006. Previously he had risen to the rank of Assistant Chief Constable with the Lothian and Borders force. For many years he was based at the Gayfield Square police office - can;t recall his rank when there but was in charge of a lot of demos.

Is there a statement by Rangers saying Neely was reported to Police ?? Can you post it if u have it thanks.
The issue regarding Rangers statement that they reported the matter to the police conflicts with what they said on the clubs own publication The Rangers news where the club wished him well for the future.

However the main story here should be, why when his overwhelming abuse took place at Hibernian did they not report the matter to Rangers.

Given Alistair Hood’s background i am certain that this was put on record to the Police . The club should lead from the front here in their calls for a full and independent inquiry .

Given the level of corruption that leads all the way to the very top in modern day Nationalist, Republican Scotland, any physical evidence of us reporting this incident to the relevant authorities has surely been destroyed.

There is no comparison between this incident and what was happening and being covered up at Celtic.For a start neely was immediately sacked and never employed again by the Club.
I would welcome a full investigation into this and to any other club that has been accused of child abuse.
Finally hibs part in this should also be thoroughly investigated.

Let’s be clear here, if the club “covered up” abuse then we failed the victims and should be condemned for having done so and do whatever is possible now to make some kind of recompense.

However, a formulaic notice of a departure in the club newspaper is absolutely no evidence whatsoever of a cover up and Daly and the BBC have way, way over-reached with that article.

Having reported the matter to the police, the club was in no position to print allegations of criminal behaviour. It would have been utterly against the principles of justice to have done so, and may well have hindered a prosecution.

I’ll join with others in calling for an independent public enquiry across Scottish football. If we have skeletons in the cupboard then we should face them. If we mishandled this then this should be brought to light. I don’t trust Police Scotland not to “lose” evidence. But they can’t lose it all.

When someone left the club when the Rangers News was being published it was normal for their departure to be noted in that formulaic manner. The view may have been taken - I am speculating here - that not to have done so would raise questions and draw attention to the issue whilst it was being handled by the police.
So it was definitely handled by the police then? Sure someone from the PF that was involved is still around and can be contacted for comment?

Whilst paedophilia turns the stomach of any decent human being and should never be used as a point scoring exercise, Daly take note, the question has to be asked.
One isolated incident , wrongly being reported at that, against a fully operational paedophile ring .
You have to question the motives here or maybe not.

We should condemn this as being utterly wrong and the man deserves the utmost condemnation. He should've been more strongly condemned at the time.

I am also jot a fan of whataboutery. BUT a comparison here is necessary.

There is a huge difference between a coach pulling down a boys pants to skelp his arse (and not doing it) and a coach at Celtic literally sexually abusing boys.

The inference in the article is that Rangers are "just as bad". This is wrong, and must be challenged by the club AND ALL OF US on all platforms.

In that Neely was called in to the meeting & fired on the spot? Yeah, that clearly happened and isn’t being disputed.

But why did Rangers News then “wish him success” in his departure note? I’d like answers on that.
That's the damning bit...

The issue regarding Rangers statement that they reported the matter to the police conflicts with what they said on the clubs own publication The Rangers news where the club wished him well for the future.

However the main story here should be, why when his overwhelming abuse took place at Hibernian did they not report the matter to Rangers.
This is a key point in all the noise surrounding neely. Surely Daly should be asking why he was able to move to rangers from hibs?

That doesn’t mean we never reported him to the police. What did they expect? An article in the Rangers news saying he has left due to allegations made against him? That could lead to all types of legal issues for the club if we wrote that about him, the police took further action then he was found not guilty.
However, hopefully someone at the club comes forward and gives us the real story. Anyone covering anything up is just as guilty and the more we know about the past then the more we can do to prevent it happening in the future

Me and my mates had dealings with Hood after a European trip. I found him an arrogant and shallow individual who was only interested in the clubs perspective. As he should have been as he was employed by the club.

This man was so club orientated it's a impossibility that, as responsible club officer, he failed to report Neely to the authorities.

If Alistair Hood advised the parents to make a complaint, that was the correct course of action 30 yrs ago. Back then if the parents did not report or want to report then there would be no paper trail.
Rangers could have informed the Police regarding Neely, giving the boys details. The Police would have gone to the parents but if they still did not want to report it there is nothing that could be done. They might have spoken to Neely but if he denied any wrong doing there was nowhere to go with it.
Records for some enquiries are only retained for 7 years, like officers notebooks.

I find it difficult to accept that Hood would not have reported this to his mates at the local Police Office as the Police never left him when he worked at Rangers.

If they are trying to drag us into their filthy mess then i look forward to them being lambasted, to the same degree we were, for using an EBT for Juninho.

Similar comparison in terms of scale although clearly not in terms of severity.

Sadly abuse happened at nearly every club in Britain. Every club has a duty to put it right. As a club we shouldn't shy away from it and I would be disgusted if we did.

What is clear, however, is the abuse was systematic at some clubs and in these clubs paedophile rings were in operation - and it is these clubs that should be at the centre of any public enquiry.

That's the damning bit...
It’s not damning at all. The formula for a departing employee was set. A couple of lines inside the pages. No quotes, just a general statement of good wishes. The writer would barely have thought about it.

As I say above, if the club had printed the allegations then it could have prejudiced the legal process. Those allegations wouldn’t have been repeated to some staff writer at the Rangers News, and rightly not.

The only thing that matters is whether we contacted the police. If we did, then we did everything right in my view. If we didn’t then we got it spectacularly wrong then and just as wrong last year by saying we did

Has Mark Daly and the BBC trawled through clippings and clippings of 'The Celtic View' and reported why Celtic's seperate entity stand is nonsense?

Full investigation in all abuse in scottish football is required which Rangers should be demanding.

Has Mark Daly and the BBC trawled through clippings and clippings of 'The Celtic View' and reported why Celtic's seperate entity stand is nonsense?

Full investigation in all abuse in scottish football is required which Rangers should be demanding.

To be fair - Daly made it crystal clear that the reports in the Celtic View confirmed that the Celtic Boys Club was an integral part of Celtic FC.

Luckily, I've never had experience of it, but when you report a crime to the police, isn't there an Incident Reference Number or Report Number that gets appended to it?

Did the same system exist back then? Even if the Police lost any record of it, wouldn't the club have been given such a number right away?

Or is that too easy?

Time for Dave King to request a full UK wide independent inquiry into CSA within football clubs not just Scotland due to the links between McCafferty and Bennell

If BBC Scotland have falsely made claims against the club then the clubs lawyers need to take action

The police records will be very scarce given how long ago the claims ms were made and I welcome a full inquiry

The inquiry should be UK wide however as we have one club with a potential for over 100 victims and Scotland cannot be seen as impartial given the divide in our country

Quite a bold statement from the guy saying 'total lies' in regard to us reporting it to the police.
It is bold, but I’ll be honest, if the guy was sexually abused (and we certainly believed that something untoward happened, we’ve confirmed that already) and no one was punished then I understand his anger and can’t condemn him for directing it everywhere and anywhere. There is a reason we don’t have victims deciding punishments, emotion will usually override logic and facts.

In 1991, police raised Crime Reports on paper forms. They were not yet computerised.

This alleged incident was not witnessed and if Neely was interviewed, it would have been done under caution. If he denied the allegation, or maintained his right to remain silent, there would have been no corroboration to the allegation. It would have been his word against the boys and insufficient evidence to report the matter to the PF.

I don't wish to make light of the incident, but the boy wasn't indecently assaulted, he had his trousers pulled down, with the threat of having his bum spanked for being naughty, but no spanking took place. As an isolated incident, it could easily have been construed by cops that if the incident did happen, it was possibly a joke that was taken too far and wasn't crime of the century.

The outcome would have been scribbled on the back of the form and it would have been sent for filing as enquiry complete.

The chances of a paper report where no crime was established still being around almost 30 years later, are pretty remote.

Daly is trying to make something out of nothing and this stinks of a certain PR Company working for the Bheasts From The East, stoking the flames and trying to deflect blame.

A risky strategy even ot reported to the police he was sacked and not employed the knowledge from Hibs and celtic is far far worse it is a bit like Hitler saying that people died in the war but not in gas ovens Daky is a truth denier and has always had an anti rangers/ protestant agenda from St Columba;'s in Clydebank tried to get Rangers fans to get involved when dealing with a Racist Welshman in Manchester so tool him to a Rangers game in Scotland either to enter the cop or the club GMP wanted to take him to court

And rightly so. But you have to bear in mind that the person that wrote that will have written it for 100 departing employees previously and is highly, highly unlikely to have been aware of the allegations.

Not sure if I buy that to be honest.

If there were 100 departing employees at the same time then maybe, but surely word would have came down from up top to just say he's left the club, nothing else. Like we've done with some players who have left recently.

I hate to ask this question. But would the events described, Spanking a child on the bare, been criminal at that point of time in Scotland? I was spanked at school around that same time frame in the early 90s here in America. I agree that what happen is wrong but don't know if the police would have taken it seriously at that time.

The Police decide whether or not they pass a complaint to the PF.
First and foremost the Police have to establish if a crime or offence has been committed, if they receive information suggesting a crime may have occurred they interview those concerned.
Therefore the first port of call is the complainer and in this instance his parents.
If they don’t give a complaint how can they investigate a crime.
It has changed in recent years whereby witnesses can make a complaint even though the injured party does not.
In John’s case he was in the room alone with Neely.

It is bold, but I’ll be honest, if the guy was sexually abused (and we certainly believed that something untoward happened, we’ve confirmed that already) and no one was punished then I understand his anger and can’t condemn him for directing it everywhere and anywhere. There is a reason we don’t have victims deciding punishments, emotion will usually override logic and facts.

I understand his anger also but it's a helluva accusation to throw around.

He's stating his opinion as fact.

This isn't 'new' - it was reported in Daly's previous coverage, in that Rangers had said the police were informed, but the police had no records.

It's a he said/she said argument - but given that we've seen evidence of criminal charges recently go missing alla the effegies, it's not exactly a stretch of the imagination to think that in the single instance raised against the club, that this is the case.

Either way, a full and impartial investigation across all of Scottish football is needed. If Rangers have failed in any way in following protocol, then we need to be brought up for it.

At the end of the day, we'll see who followed protocol, who didn't, and who actively covered up a paedophile ring for 40+ years.

Wonder if the writs are going to be served hence Daly running this story

I don’t trust Daly

Let’s face it if he was a proper investigative journalist he would have done a documentary after the 6th paedo was CONVICTED in the courts and one for a 2nd time for CSA and asking if their was an organised paedo ring in operation over 50 years at CBC and CFC

Let’s face it we have FACTS that Kelly and McGinn were complicit in covering up the Kearney NJ abuse by Cairney due to the airport pact to keep the abuse hidden and allow Cairney to “resign”

BBC scum and Hollicom are all over this story

From 2016:

"Rangers is now aware of an alleged incident involving an individual who worked very briefly for the club more than 25 years ago.

"It's understood the individual was dismissed immediately and that the police were informed.

"Rangers wishes to stress that all employees adhere to the strictest codes of conduct, especially when dealing with children and young people.

"Rangers have not been approached by Police Scotland or any authority regarding this allegation."

So, the bit in bold. Where did Rangers get that information/understanding from in 2016? The club need to come out and clarify this. Anyone there at the time needs to be questioned.

Not interested in the other club or "hollicom". This is our club and if they've failed this guy then I want those responsible punished.

In 1991, police raised Crime Reports on paper forms. They were not yet computerised.

This alleged incident was not witnessed and if Neely was interviewed, it would have been done under caution. If he denied the allegation, or maintained his right to remain silent, there would have been no corroboration to the allegation. It would have been his word against the boys and insufficient evidence to report the matter to the PF.

I don't wish to make light of the incident, but the boy wasn't indecently assaulted, he had his trousers pulled down, with the threat of having his bum spanked for being naughty, but no spanking took place. As an isolated incident, it could easily have been construed by cops that if the incident did happen, it was possibly a joke that was taken too far and wasn't crime of the century.

The outcome would have been scribbled on the back of the form and it would have been sent for filing as enquiry complete.

The chances of a paper report where no crime was established still being around almost 30 years later, are pretty remote.

Daly is trying to make something out of nothing and this stinks of a certain PR Company working for the Bheasts From The East, stoking the flames and trying to deflect blame.
Good grief you actually sat and wrote that..

No doubt the club will again follow the dignified silence approach and leave it to the fans to take all the flak.

So the allegations are that the boy had his pants pulled down and was threatened with a spanking?

Obviously in this day and age it is horrendous behaviour and would be without a doubt be a criminal offence, but please excuse my ignorance - was that the norm back then?

Were boys being spanked in school?

The cane was abolished in state schools in 1987 if I recall correctly.

At that time even if Rangers reported Neely to the police, they would have asked for evidence. I don't think there would be any as it would be a case of this lad John's word against Neely, so there is no evidence. Rangers could not say in the news that he was sacked as a Paedo as he could have sued for libel and Rangers had no evidence. No court case has taken place, so what evidence do they have other than this dubious witness John, who I think is looking for cash. That is just my opinion about our club, however another club has loads of evidence from court cases. Perhaps another club's cu;pability is about to break

They're angling at ultimately dishing out equal punishments to both clubs similar to the Scottish cup final fiasco with Hibs.
And the Rangers board weren 't very good at tackling that one head on either.

..... and not just looking at both clubs. This is surely a precursor to an independent enquiry that will highlight abuse at a number of clubs across Scottish football. The SFA’s preference will be not to lay substantive blame on any individual club but have it laid on Scottish football as a whole with any retribution and compensation covered by the governing body and a levy placed on all clubs. Can’t have the mentally challengeds held fully and solely responsible for their huge catalogue of heinous crimes can we?

Back