Leeds target Rangers star Glen Kamara for £8m summer transfer after scouting mission

Why even sell in January, what’s the rush?

Keep him till the summer, it boosts our title chances and of we win 55 the chances are his value will only increase. I can’t see any sense in jumping at £8m in January.

I’d also like to see us start to play hardball. I feel every club we deal with does that to us whereas we’re a relative soft touch in the transfer market when we’re the selling club.
Keep the playing of Harball for Keeping Morelos , but at £8m Kamara has to go , will also set the bar at what has to be bid for our players in future .

£8m and a decent sell on fee and we have a deal. With Jack, Davis, Aribo, Arfield, Docherty, King etc in the squad I think we can afford to let someone like Kamara go if the right offer comes in.

If the staff are doing their jobs correctly, and I'm certain they are, then every player in the squad will have potential replacements next to their names.

We shall see how much Kamara goes for.
I've faith in Wilson and Scoulding to get the right player to replace him. Scoulding hasn't come up with many duds so far. And even if he did, we've plenty of good players in centre-mid that we could work around it.

When have we ever sold a player who’s not a stick on starter for that type of money? Only Flo even comes remotely close.

I’d be astonished and delighted if the figures were true. As much as I rate Kamara.

Was Brahim Hemdani a first team regular, or a squad player?

To my mind, he was a squad player that played in the bigger games.

Kamara isn't Hemdani, but it's a similar principle. You don't need to be a spreadsheet dork to work that one out, pal.
Hemdani only became what you describe when Walter came back and didn't fancy him in the blood and thunder Premier League games where his lack of physicality was laid bare.

Says it all about our football as Hemdani was a class player.

"Kalvin Phillips - £27m"

"Glen Kamara - £8m"

There is something far wrong with those figures.
Absolutely right. £8m is chump change in England, we need to get the most we can get for our assets and stop selling ourselves short.

It doesn't matter what we paid for him, he has 4 years left in his contract, 23 yo and highly sought after. Also, like Alfie will probably get better in time.

£8m seems a good fee just now, but I feel waiting until summer would see a double figure million fee post 55, further progression in the Europa & appearances at the Euro's.

He's a very tidy player, but not irreplaceable. This has to be the way forward for us - and we need to start driving up fees.

I wouldn't think twice about punting him and he would also probably want to go, you take the cash when the players hot IMO.
No reason to keep him as he is not an indispensable component of Gerrard`s midfield, hes neat, tidy has a lovely turn on him and his stint at Dundee developed his attitude for the Scottish game, but all that can be purchased again and again at a fraction of the reported figures.

without sounding disrespectful, the recent Financial reports show the need

Is it that urgent though? That makes it sound like maybe we do have cause for concern. Also, do you know that this is likely to happen in January? I note you said you expect it to, and I’m aware you’ve got reliable sources!

£8m for Kamara plus £20m Morelos in the summer would be excellent business. Nearly £30m for an outlay of £1,050,000 is stunning.

Absolutely right. £8m is chump change in England, we need to get the most we can get for our assets and stop selling ourselves short.

It doesn't matter what we paid for him, he has 4 years left in his contract, 23 yo and highly sought after. Also, like Alfie will probably get better in time.

It's not really chump change when it comes to the Championship, it's also not chump change when it comes to us...

We don't play in England, and teams from England know this.

We simply aren't in a place to tell teams to %^*& off when it comes to a bid like this for a player like Kamara.

We are a club who basically need and want to take advantage when teams in England teams look to buy.

8 million, if that was the bid and sell, is in no way a club selling themselves short.

Last edited:
If this is the first real piece of evidence of the business model that sees us picking up players for peanuts and selling them on for millions, then I am all for it.

This is also another good measure that the club is going in the right direction, as Glen is clearly not the only young and very valuable asset in our books.

Let's get real, nobody is paying £8m-£10m for Glen Kamara right now.

If he nails down a regular place and performs well in a successful full season for us then yes maybe.

I feel, especially after Steven Gerrard saying he expects bids for Kamara to be made in January, that a bidding war could well begin. It would not surprise me if bids in that region are made for him. Its Premier clubs that are looking not just Championship so watch that space.

If we ca get between 10-15 m for the lad u snap there hands off... people saying £25 m are mental.. lets be honest He isnt our best midfielder and has had a couple of good games for us... if we did sell him,the lad ferguson would fit the bill.. to replace him.

I think Rangers will sell Kamara in January. Although he's a good player he's the one sellable asset that doesn't massively effect the first 11.

Pretty much this. We need to sell someone at some point and to be frank I feel the board are entitled to recoup some cash. I’ve no doubts we could find an adequate replacement for a fraction of the fee.

without sounding disrespectful, the recent Financial reports show the need
This will be a test of where the board see themselves in a year's time.

Hypothetically, if the fee were to allow the club to nearly break even (allowing for the fact that the adjusted loss is closer to £8.5m) for this term and only leave a running cost shortfall of no more than £2m until season ticket time comes round again, then a Glen Kamara at £8m has to be sold every season until the retail operation is significantly normalised and its effects can offset losses incurred elsewhere.

If this speculation is true and a sale does take place, we'll have a better idea of projecting how we are likely to behave in the next 12-15 months.

Silverware and European progression could have a knock-on effect on this of course.

8 million would be a good fee for him. He's a good player but his lack of goal scoring ability or being a "midfield destroyer" will unfortunately hamper how much a club from Scotland can truly get for him
Thankfully other managers think differently. Kamara might not be as easy on the high as some but he's very good at what he does & one of a few in our squad that can play at a higher level.
Next time you watch him play look how often he recovers the ball, intercepts passes, presses the opposition. That's what coaches and managers are looking at.

I feel, especially after Steven Gerrard saying he expects bids for Kamara to be made in January, that a bidding war could well begin. It would not surprise me if bids in that region are made for him. Its Premier clubs that are looking not just Championship so watch that space.
I would personally be surprised if bids came in at that level at this stage of his Rangers career. He has started only half of our league games, and got hooked at half time in the OF game and dropped after it. In my opinion clubs will monitor his development and only make bids which would be acceptable to us after a successful full season.

I continuously forget that we also have Andy King in that role on stand-by (next to Docherty).

ID 10 has already said that there is more than just rumours to that Leeds bid.

I would personally be surprised if bids came in at that level at this stage of his Rangers career. He has started only half of our league games, and got hooked at half time in the OF game and dropped after it. In my opinion clubs will monitor his development and only make bids which would be acceptable to us after a successful full season.

You may well be right mate. The January window is certainly going to be a very interesting one indeed.

While i would be very reluctant in letting anyone go in January if you are talking in the region of £10 million then perhaps we have to be realistic and accept that it would be very hard to knock back .

In a perfect world it would be done in the summer allowing us plenty of time looking at possible replacements i think Kamara is really coming into his own growing in confidence every week and i also feel his inclusion from last Jan has played a massive role in the rise of Ryan Jack .

£8m for some one we paid £50k a year ago is not to be laughed at. You can scream no less than £10m/£15m all you want but we've got to be realistic.

Gerrard, Wilson, Scoulding and co will have their say and plans. We will eventually sell players at a profit. Next step is to find a replacement, try and develop them further then sell them on - Tavernier, Goldson, Katić, Barišić (this season), Jack, Kamara, Kent, Morelos etc etc have all come on under Gerrard, McAllister, Beale, Culshaw, Milsom...

we have a £10m gap

£5m is funded already by King, the accounts state that the rest is dependent on player sales & European progress

I expect IF the money on the table for Kamara is real (£8-10m) then he will go - this isn’t new, I posted this last week

Interest in him is real

That has to be our business model

Fair enough, with all due respect I won’t catch everything posted on the forum!

If the sale has to go ahead then so be it. I just felt we shouldn’t be doing this in January but the board will no better than anyone how quickly that financial gap has to be remedied. He isn’t irreplaceable so I can live with it, I just hope we don’t accept the first offer or let Leeds or anyone else low ball us.

Andy King is puzzling though isn't he? Surely if he was good enough, he'd have been played to get match sharpness? I really don't know what the story is with him and how much is he costing for little in return other than being available in case we have an injury crisis?

Andy King is puzzling though isn't he? Surely if he was good enough, he'd have been played to get match sharpness? I really don't know what the story is with him and how much is he costing for little in return other than being available in case we have an injury crisis?

You answer your own question....it's not that puzzling.

£20m for Morelos is not and will never be excellent business. He’s beyond that and if the club jump at the first £20m offer then we’re still naive as ever and haven’t learned much.
Agreed, I'd like to think that the club would turn down outright a bid of 20 million pound.

He was getting slated not so long ago on FF.
8 million, get real.
At the moment he has won nothing, and stuart armstrong goes to southampton for about 8 mill.
4 million at a push, some need to get real.

we have a £10m gap

£5m is funded already by King, the accounts state that the rest is dependent on player sales & European progress

I expect IF the money on the table for Kamara is real (£8-10m) then he will go - this isn’t new, I posted this last week

Interest in him is real

That has to be our business model

And if Kamara doesn't leave in January?

Does that imply everything is under control, or does it suggest without his sale we could be in real bother?

I'd wait until our man Glen plays in the Euros this summer tbh. He has a half decent tournament and we stand to make a lot more than £8 million. Speculate to accumulate and all that.
Id hope for us to do this also but if there's a financial gap that needs plugged short term, he's probably the most valuable asset that we can sell that won't affect our title ambitions too much.

If we’re in a title race then we shouldn’t be selling any first team players unless it is for Duck Tales money. Losing out on the CL is worth more to us than the £8m any top English Championship team could easily pay us for Kamara.

You answer your own question....it's not that puzzling.
Do you think that an Andy King lacking in match sharpness coming in to replace Kamara is a good idea when you are trying to win a league? Banking on this coming good could have a deleterious effect on our league challenge in a similar manner to assuming an unfit Davis would hit the ground running did with last season's tilt at honours.

Do you think that an Andy King lacking in match sharpness coming in to replace Kamara is a good idea when you are trying to win a league? Banking on this coming good could have a deleterious effect on our league challenge in a similar manner to assuming an unfit Davis would hit the ground running did with last season's tilt at honours.

Is the reason King hasn't really featured due to a lack of match sharpness (he came on as a sub earlier in the season, did he not) or injury?

Back