Leeds target Rangers star Glen Kamara for £8m summer transfer after scouting mission

Do you think that an Andy King lacking in match sharpness coming in to replace Kamara is a good idea when you are trying to win a league? Banking on this coming good could have a deleterious effect on our league challenge in a similar manner to assuming an unfit Davis would hit the ground running did with last season's tilt at honours.

Our for improved from January onwards last season v where it had been earlier in the year...

We have other midfielders and options to rotate our side other than Andy King.

It is also the case teams teams oft have squad players who don't always feature and are played.

There is nothing new or out of the ordinary about Kings situation.

Again, Kamara has only started in 50% of our games, and has 46% of the total minutes. I'm not sure he's a first team regular, he's more of a squad player.

We can adapt our shape and win comfortably without him. And he will be replaced. He has tended to shine in European games, and we will (presumably) have less of them after January.
I would tend to class a first team regular as someone who is part of the first team not always the 1st 11, i think we can look at him as much more than just a squad player.

He will be playing the majority of games if he keeps up his recent form

I would flat out refuse to sell any players apart from Grezda in the Jan window. Too valuable this season for what we are trying to achieve.

It's not really chump change when it comes to the Championship, it's also not chump change when it comes to us...

We don't play in England, and teams from England know this.

We simply aren't in a place to tell teams to %^*& off when it comes to a bid like this for a player like Kamara.

We are a club who basically need and want to take advantage when teams in England teams look to buy.

8 million, if that was the bid and sell, is in no way a club selling themselves short.
Depends. Paper talk of Brighton interested, Gerrard says there's loads of clubs including Premiership teams having a look. Wait till at least the summer at least and see what happens. Historically we've not been the best at getting the most for our assets, need to sit tight and show some nerve.

Look how much the unwashed got for their players by doing just that. If we sell cheap/the first offer, clubs down south will always low ball for our players for our players. It's not a reputation we should want.

It might be controversial but I reckon he has only had 4-5 stand out games so far for us. In many games he has played he has been average. Davis and jack are the two I wouldn’t want to lose

I still think he has areas he needs to develop & agree that he’s well short of Davis & Jack.

The last two games he has Been very good indeed to be fair.

He does have a lot of talent that is being worked on & is 23 I think so has time to develop further.

If we were offered 10m plus 20% sell on fee I’d probably sell him but not for less given his use to the squad in trying to win three trophies as well as our European adventure.

£8m for Kamara plus £20m Morelos in the summer would be excellent business. Nearly £30m for an outlay of £1,050,000 is stunning.
We'll get more than £30m for Morelos alone

This £20m figure needs to get so far to %^*&. If Morelos was at any other team he would be worth 60-70 million easy. I don't think it's that outrageous we request 30-50 million depending on the team and league. If they don't like it they don't get a future superstar.

£20m and we would have been ripped off something stupid. Keeping Alfredo here next season would probably net us more than £20m so why should we sell for that?

Depends. Paper talk of Brighton interested, Gerrard says there's loads of clubs including Premiership teams having a look. Wait till at least the summer at least and see what happens. Historically we've not been the best at getting the most for our assets, need to sit tight and show some nerve.

Look how much the unwashed got for their players by doing just that. If we sell cheap/the first offer, clubs down south will always low ball for our players for our players. It's not a reputation we should want.

History means nothing..... we have a history of different owners who were corrupt and miss managed the club their history means little in the context of our current situation, or this theoretical departure which doesn't even come into the same solar system of the idea of a player being miss or under sold, this is no context relevant to us would be a cheap departure.

Celtic have sold players at a relatively comparable value to that which Kamara would feasibly go.

They have also sold from a place of funds through player sells and CL money, the value at which they sell isn't overly relevant as their place of finance has massively differed to ours.

Fair enough, with all due respect I won’t catch everything posted on the forum!

If the sale has to go ahead then so be it. I just felt we shouldn’t be doing this in January but the board will no better than anyone how quickly that financial gap has to be remedied. He isn’t irreplaceable so I can live with it, I just hope we don’t accept the first offer or let Leeds or anyone else low ball us.
I think we have an overdraft facility too. I would like them to wait till the summer also but the board/Gerrard will decide ultimately.

And if Kamara doesn't leave in January?

Does that imply everything is under control, or does it suggest without his sale we could be in real bother?
This is it.

If by real bother you mean relying on a director's benefaction then the potential sale will tell a story. Is Kamara essential to trying to win the league and thus representing a financial gamble. Or do the board decide that they've exposed themselves to enough risk and decide to put the bottom line above all else?

As I said previously, Kamara's potential sale will be revealing and will inform the short-term future. Without cashing in on Morelos or having a firesale next summer, this time next year even with European group stage participation, the accounts are still likely to show a loss of some sort in the half yearly results.

Andy King is puzzling though isn't he? Surely if he was good enough, he'd have been played to get match sharpness? I really don't know what the story is with him and how much is he costing for little in return other than being available in case we have an injury crisis?
He was out injured. I'm sure he will feature at some point. Our midfield has been performing well and the only real rotation is for the 3rd spot. Davis and Jacko are the mainstays.

Kamara isn’t needed to win this title, and i’m sure SG knows that.
I think he is a key part of it. You might be right about SG discussing it in public. However he is played in nearly every big game over Aribo as he provides more cover and more box to box energy. Europa league Thursdays, old firm games, he clearly plays an important part of our rotation in that respect.

cracking player but if anyone comes in with £8m plus for him, then take it. That is fantastic business on our part, add in a sell on fee there as well just to make sure we don't lose out on an even bigger fee later in his career.

If we ca get between 10-15 m for the lad u snap there hands off... people saying £25 m are mental.. lets be honest He isnt our best midfielder and has had a couple of good games for us... if we did sell him,the lad ferguson would fit the bill.. to replace him.

Absolutely not for me.

Selling Kamara for £8m is one thing. Replacing him with Lewis Ferguson at a vastly inflated price (This is Aberdeen we're talking about here) shouldn't even be on our radar.

1. He's not worth that sort of outlay
2. His dad and his uncle are toxic IMO.

As a wise man said to me last night "Gerrard wouldn't be able to fart in the dressing room without it getting back to Barry and Derek". Christ, Lewis Ferguson wouldn't be able to concentrate without Barry asking him every two minutes "Have you put in a good word to Steven for me ?"

It's not, you're right.

Docherty will go on to be a good player though. He's a really good midfielder for a team that focuses on transitions. He's a signing that would make sense for a Caixinha team, but not for a Gerrard team.
Can you explain why a Gerrard team does not focus on transitions, please?
Genuinely interested, I think of a transition as moving from one phase to another, principally defence to attack and switching from pressing to counter pressing. I'm sure there are others. Why don't we place an emphasis on getting it right when Pedro seemingly did?

Boumsong cost us nothing and was sold 6 months later for £8M. We reinvested that money in Buffel, Ferguson and Kyrgiakos in that same transfer window and won the League Cup and then Helicopter Sunday. Historically, January transfers cost more than summer transfers because buying clubs are desperate either because of their need to avoid relegation or to push hard for a title or promotion to the top league. £8M is attractive.

Leeds United boss Marcelo Bielsa is looking to strengthen his side and Rangers midfielder Glen Kamara is already on the club’s shortlist.

According to Football Insider, Leeds are monitoring Kamara’s situation and have already sent scouts to watch him during Rangers 2-0 Europa League win over Porto.
The Gers have been in fantastic form this season. They are currently level on points with league leaders Celtic in the Scottish Premiership and are also level on points with Young Boys who are top of Group G in the Europa League.

Kamara has put in some impressive performances, particularly in the Europa League, for boss Steven Gerrard this campaign and as a result the Liverpudlian is expecting several clubs to try and pry the midfielder away from Ibrox in Janaury.

The report states that while Leeds have not ruled out making an approach in the January window, they actually see the 24-year-old as a transfer target for next summer.
Rangers reportedly want more than £8million for Kamara, which would see them earn a significant profit on the player who only joined the club in January this year.
Kamara was in the process of running downhill contract with Dundee United last season before Rangers managed to sign the player for just £50,000.
The Finn is a product of Arsenal’s academy, but only managed to make one appearance for the Gunners before joining Dundee on a free transfer in 2017.

Glen Kamara only joined Rangers in January of this year for £50,000

Despite having not been at the club for long Kamara has already established himself as an important player in Rangers’ midfield alongside Steven Davis and Ryan Jack.
And due to his mobility and distribution it is clear to see why Bielsa would feel such a player could easily fit into his current side.
Kamara has already played 20 games this season, which takes his overall tally for the club to 36 appearances.

Glen Kamara has been in fantastic form this season.
But Rangers are not the only club who could end up losing a midfielder in the next window as Leeds star Kalvin Phillips is attracting a lot of attention from top-flight teams.
The 23-year-old is a key member of Bielsa’s side and has already been looked at by several Premier League clubs, including Manchester United.
However, Leeds have said that the player is not for sale and have already rejected a £27m bid for the midfielder last summer, after which Phillips was rewarded with a new five-year deal with the Yorkshire club.
Lol

£20 million

It's all pointing to being primed for a sale reading between the lines.

Can see him going

Which to be fair needs to happen eventually. We need make a big sale in the market to prove we can do this.

Gerrard can then turn to potential signings and say "Look what I did with Glen Kamara, took him from 2nd bottom of the league for £50k and turned him into a £8m player inside 12 months. I can do likewise for you"

Th
Boumsong cost us nothing and was sold 6 months later for £8M. We reinvested that money in Buffel, Ferguson and Kyrgiakos in that same transfer window and won the League Cup and then Helicopter Sunday. Historically, January transfers cost more than summer transfers because buying clubs are desperate either because of their need to avoid relegation or to push hard for a title or promotion to the top league. £8M is attractive.
They want him £20 million

We are not intrested in selling him but an offer of £20million might tempt the board

Kamara didn’t actually cost a cent. The £50k was a token payment for him to be released early.

£8m is a big mark up. If this is genuine, sadly he’ll be off.
I’m nae accountant and I’m also as thick as pig shit, but isn’t paying Dundee £50k to release him early mean he cost us £50k?
Or do token payments not count?
Unless of course we paid them in tokens.

Technically he didn’t cost a cent because we don’t use cents, but I don’t think that’s what you meant.

"Kalvin Phillips - £27m"

"Glen Kamara - £8m"

There is something far wrong with those figures.
That’s exactly what I was thinking.
I haven’t even seen a highlight this season from the Championship, but I was also wondering who the hell Kalvin Phillips was as well!

8 mil in January and it's a done deal imo. Think its actually probably about the right price, I would say 5/6 mil player under normal circumstances but add on the January premium and it feels fair. Absolutely tremendous business for the club if it does pan out that way and as much as I rate GK, we have Jack, Davis, Aribo and Arfield to rely on in midfield plus hopefully a 1/ 2 mil outlay on a new player (or maybe even a chance for Barjonas to shine given his new contract?).

For those questioning whether we will get that level of money for him, remember he's got proven international pedigree now as well. Arguably the main man in a Finland team that are on course to qualify for the euros and holding their own against Italy, Greece, Bosnia etc.

"Kalvin Phillips - £27m"

"Glen Kamara - £8m"

There is something far wrong with those figures.

Yeah but Kalvin Phillips cost Leeds nothing so selling him for £6m would be “great business”....

Can you explain why a Gerrard team does not focus on transitions, please?
Genuinely interested, I think of a transition as moving from one phase to another, principally defence to attack and switching from pressing to counter pressing. I'm sure there are others. Why don't we place an emphasis on getting it right when Pedro seemingly did?
You're not wrong, transitions are basically the immediate periods between having the ball and losing it, or not having the ball and regaining it.

Gerrard doesn't necessarily neglect that, but you can see that our game plan is focused on building up the play and using technical players to create chances. This leads to us dominating possession, and therefore there aren't as many changes of possession in the games that we play.

I always think back to the Legia games. Legia were a side that focused on transitions. They pressed high and never conceded territory. They wanted to turn the match into a game of basketball - ball constantly turned over, quick possessions etc. They then made use of their wide combinations and physical abilities to gain better results.

I think Docherty suits a style of play like that, because while he isn't as good as what we have technically, he has an incredible engine on him and he's superbly fit. Can find the goal as well.

And I think the problem with Pedro is that tactics that place an emphasis on transition don't really work when the opposition just decides to sit in. If we were playing in a more competitive league where we weren't the big fishes, Pedro might have worked out.

Thankfully other managers think differently. Kamara might not be as easy on the high as some but he's very good at what he does & one of a few in our squad that can play at a higher level.
Next time you watch him play look how often he recovers the ball, intercepts passes, presses the opposition. That's what coaches and managers are looking at.
I rate Kamara but the point is guys like him dont tend to go for huge fees unless they prove themselves at the highest level.

£8m then was a lot more than £8m now, though. You seriously saying we'd get three players of that quality for £8m today?

I sincerely hope Leeds do sell this guy Phillips for the quoted £27m as this would strengthen our hand. How can they expect to demand that for one player and offer less than a third of that for a full international on the verge of qualifying for the Euros and who's playing well in European club competition.

It's all just paper talk nonsense anyway

This will be a test of where the board see themselves in a year's time.

Hypothetically, if the fee were to allow the club to nearly break even (allowing for the fact that the adjusted loss is closer to £8.5m) for this term and only leave a running cost shortfall of no more than £2m until season ticket time comes round again, then a Glen Kamara at £8m has to be sold every season until the retail operation is significantly normalised and its effects can offset losses incurred elsewhere.

If this speculation is true and a sale does take place, we'll have a better idea of projecting how we are likely to behave in the next 12-15 months.

Silverware and European progression could have a knock-on effect on this of course.

The 4m legal fees won’t be an ongoing cost TC.

Additionally if we get out of this EL Group we will probably improve by 2.5-4.0m from last season too.

We'll get more than £30m for Morelos alone

This £20m figure needs to get so far to %^*&. If Morelos was at any other team he would be worth 60-70 million easy. I don't think it's that outrageous we request 30-50 million depending on the team and league. If they don't like it they don't get a future superstar.

£20m and we would have been ripped off something stupid. Keeping Alfredo here next season would probably net us more than £20m so why should we sell for that?

There’s always a lot of big chat on here demanding big prices but fact of the matter is if he’s worth 30m plus we need to be paying him 30m player wages. That’s how it works.

Rangers becomes even more sustainable if we get fair market value for the player.

£8m from England is not fair market value.
£8m is more than fair for Kamara.

When you buy potential, you're taking a risk. And right now, while Kamara is good, what is attractive for the English clubs is his potential.

£8m with a 10% of his next sale and that is phenomenal business.

There’s always a lot of big chat on here demanding big prices but fact of the matter is if he’s worth 30m plus we need to be paying him 30m player wages. That’s how it works.

That's it, it is why the idea of Kamara for example going for 10/12/15 million is far fetched, that's just not sensible business to us.

Leeds, EPL Sides would be looking to basically take a player on say 6k and pay him the best part of 30/40k, and the reality is Kamara isn't worth that to us or ever going to be paid that by us.

Kamara didn’t actually cost a cent. The £50k was a token payment for him to be released early.

£8m is a big mark up. If this is genuine, sadly he’ll be off.
I'll do a couple of days work for you for nothing then if you give me £50k :)

Back