Rangers fans make up majority of Scotland fans

In the 70's most Rangers supporters clubs would run buses to the Home Internationals and World Cup games. You wouldn’t have had any Celtic buses doing the same. To me the support was well over 50% Rangers and then a scattering of fans from the other clubs.

I couldn’t watch a Scotland game now , can’t relate to any of the players. When I did go you probably had Rangers / Celtic best players then four or five from the likes of Leeds, Man Utd and Liverpool who were the top teams down south.

No one from our supporters bus follows Scotland anymore sad really. One young lad who started going with us to gers games used to go until Ryan jack was booed then he stopped going. I’m surprised it’s that high to be honest.

Last Scotland game I went to was a 0-0 draw against Slovenia in 2004 when Vogts was the manager.

Barry Ferguson took dog’s abuse from a few c.un.ts round about me.

I finally lost the plot when someone called him a hun.

Never been back since.

Last Scotland game I went to was a 0-0 draw against Slovenia in 2004 when Vogts was the manager.

Barry Ferguson took dog’s abuse from a few c.un.ts round about me.

I finally lost the plot when someone called him a hun.

Never been back since.

I genuinely could not go to a Scotland game mate heard some horror stories regarding the booing of our players and yes flags and so on doesn’t sit well with me. And the worst of it is these are the very fans who tell us to keep religion and politics out of football.

Can remember major incidents in the Rangers end when the Scotland team weren't playing well and all the bears would start singing the sash or billy boys, all the bears would congregate together and all the supporters of other teams would distance themselves but never had enough numbers to challenge them. Pretty sad really but showed just how many bears followed the national team in that era.

In keeping with this thread, any idea how the ticket rush is going for tomorrow’s Hampdump spectacular?

The SFA lost 20k in their members club from 2012 to 2014. Why was that? Why is Hampden empty every home game?

Me included.

I kept my SSC membership going for a while after I stopped going, as one of my sons still wanted to go. So, I kept it to get him tickets.

When he saw sense, that was it for me. Scrubbed my membership and told them why when I returned my membership card

I don’t pay much attention to the sfa11 but claiming our national team back could be a way of pushing back against the nats. Sadly I think the vast majority of Rangers fans have drifted far too far away for anything to change soon.

In keeping with this thread, any idea how the ticket rush is going for tomorrow’s Hampdump spectacular?
Thats how much I know about the current Scotland team, I actually thought they were away. Wasnt even the anti Rangers feelings, booing other countries anthems, or the thought of the tartan army flashing their arses all over the world that made me stop going. Just got sick of watching average players scraping results against the might of Lichtenstein & the faroes.
Even when i did go to Scotland games i never got the same buzz about Dalglish (or whoever) scoring than i did when anyone scored for Rangers. Just lost interest

I find it hard to believe that figure to be honest.At one time the core of scotland support were bears and were proud of their national team. No interest at all now.

When the SFA took the qualifier against ROI to the piggery - rather than Ibrox- said it all!

Why are people surprised?

80% of Scotland fans AREN'T Rangers fans and hate us.

Why is that surprising?

Also Rangers fans are NOT the majority. 20% isn't a majority for fucksake.

I don't know why there are so many falling over themselves to say its not true? Bizarre behaviour for staunch points.

Bears amongst the Scotland support have fallen away greatly but because we are by far the biggest club in Scotland if even a small fraction of the support still follow Scotland then that fraction is going to be bigger than 100% of any other team bar celtic.

For what its worth i dont attend Scotland games much these days but am still a member of the SSC. When i last renewed there was a question about what club side i followed so that is likely where the stats come from.

I don't know why there are so many falling over themselves to say its not true? Bizarre behaviour for staunch points.

Bears amongst the Scotland support have fallen away greatly but because we are by far the biggest club in Scotland if even a small fraction of the support still follow Scotland then that fraction is going to be bigger than 100% of any other team bar celtic.

For what its worth i dont attend Scotland games much these days but am still a member of the SSC. When i last renewed there was a question about what club side i followed so that is likely where the stats come from.
I still go to most home games but am not a member of the SSC so wasn't asked. The two folk I usually go with are a St. Mirren fan and another Rangers supporter.

Reactions: ozo
Even as a boy, I had no great connection with the national team. I just couldn't separate my disdain for McStay, McClair, Aitken, Johnston etc and their day jobs and cheer for them in dark blue.

Nowadays, I'd prefer for our players to have nothing to do with them.

Exactly bud.

The Tartan Army are Sporting Wing of the SNP and the rest of the Rangers Hating Bastards.

You just need to see how our players are treated by them and our players at other Nations are treated differently to everyone else.

Fck the lot of the Jacobite b@stards.

Sounds about right, to be fair. It sounds like fairly straightforward statistics.

Rangers are the most supported team in the country. They'll be represented much more amongst Scotland fans.

Does anyone seriously think that there are more Montrose or Steinhousemuir fans on the scheme?

Pish!! Needing the bears cash as the other supporters are not enough, a wee ploy here to make bears think maybe we should get behind the National team and join the other gers fans.
That will be right!!
Have no feelings what so ever for National side ships well and truly sailed.
Rangers are the only team I’ll love and support through thick and thin.

Why are people surprised?

80% of Scotland fans AREN'T Rangers fans and hate us.

Why is that surprising?

Also Rangers fans are NOT the majority. 20% isn't a majority for fucksake.

Your figures are way out mate. way out. Your conclusions are f.icked.

If I had the money I would go back to the Scotland matches and I would not hesitate to challenge anyone who had a pop at our players.

Would love there to be a group of us together getting the opportunity to let rip into the booing scum.

I
You could see the anguish in Clarke's face when he saw Ryan Jack play a blinder in our recent games, it was almost like...oh fcuk, I'm going to have to pick him now!
I'm sorry to say that I genuinely believe that anti Rangers feeling goes all the way from the troops on the ground all the way up to boardroom level at the SFA and indeed the SPFL.
I respect most of your posts but wtf? Seriously?

Hahaaaaa well there are more than 2 teams in Scotland right?
Most Celtc fans are too busy supporting ROI

Rangers fans might outnumber supporters of other clubs individually but that does not mean they represent a ‘majority’ of the national team’s supporters.

In voting terms they may represent a plurality but that is not the same thing as a majority.

Some surveys place the Rangers support as constituting more than 40% of all football fans in Scotland, meaning that the club is underrepresented within the Scotland fan base.

Not this Rangers fan ! 2012 and now events of 2008 when it appears Liewell asked SFA to not help us do not endear me. With Crabbit faced Clarke and a team full of Tims I cannot bring myself to support or even watch Scotland any more! Rarely missed a game in 70s and 80s and always went to Wembley !

Heard it on Clyde tonight. They also stated figures are for 2018. I reckon that if you did a year on year comparison over the last 25 years the trend would be downward.

London RSC used to go to most Scotland games, I went on quite a few, I don't think they run trips now

My first international was v West Germany at Hampden. Huge crowd and fat Boab scored at the Rangers end. Through the seventies I had two world cups and a couple of Wembley. Throw in king Richards winner v Cyprus and England and I'm a huge Scotland fan. My old man loved Jim and Denis and put up with Johnstone, Murdoch, Hay and McGrain. My own sons a big Scotland fan as well.

It's a bit like everyone thinking there's millions of Celltic supporters because they walk the strèets in their colours. It's a bit like the referendum. They were shouting the odds on every street corner. Yet the silent majority pished it. Same with the Scotland support. Blue noses are the majority.

They lost myself and my family when they f*cked us over, twill never be forgotten, and all the Rangers supporters like myself who haven't spent a razoo on any of their matches, products team shirts etc., it must have cost them plenty in lost revenue.

Most Rangers fans I know have either apathy or serious dislike towards the national team and the tartan tranny scum support.

Almost any Scotland fan I've spoken to in the last few years hates our club so I am calling pish on the 20% figure.

I am guessing these are fans who probably only really go to Scotland matches, but if asked what club they support, then they would say Rangers.

I wonder what the stats are for ROI and Scots.

Tin hat on here - but, actually, I believe it - we are the best supported team in the land, and a lot of us are scotland fans as well, most of my mates are rangers and scotland fans. We'd obviously always choose us first above anyone else, but we'll all support Scotland come hell or high water.

My first international was v West Germany at Hampden. Huge crowd and fat Boab scored at the Rangers end. Through the seventies I had two world cups and a couple of Wembley. Throw in king Richards winner v Cyprus and England and I'm a huge Scotland fan. My old man loved Jim and Denis and put up with Johnstone, Murdoch, Hay and McGrain. My own sons a big Scotland fan as well.

It's a bit like everyone thinking there's millions of Celltic supporters because they walk the strèets in their colours. It's a bit like the referendum. They were shouting the odds on every street corner. Yet the silent majority pished it. Same with the Scotland support. Blue noses are the majority.
As a youngster I used to attend all the home games, home internationals and qualifiers. My love for Scotland has waned over the years however I still want to see them win. Seeing the team full of mentally challengeds and the support full of haters angers and depresses me. I look forward to our youth development producing a team full of Scottish internationals who can reclaim the national team. The last decade is the darkest I can remember in my 61 years, no coincidence it's an era dominated by mentally challengeds.

Let me introduce myself.
I know loads of Rangers fans who support and go and see Scotland.
FF has a different sort of Rangers fan I think you’ll find
I'm not talking about on here at all. I'm talking about match going Rangers fans that go in my RSC or other RSC's that we pair up with for away games or any other Rangers fan I know that goes to the game none care or go to Scotland games.

Correct, a useless stat
Stats eh......

There’s more rangers fans exist in the country than there are Killie, St mirren, hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen etc so even if a tiny fraction of rangers fans signed up to the tartan army - it would dwarf the sign up of supporters of other teams (even if they were big numbers by their own standards)

A completely unsurprising stat imo

Between the SNP, SFA, Fans from other clubs and the press, I’ve gone from going to Scotland games and genuinely caring to you couldn’t pay me to watch it on the telly.

Back