Rangers fans make up majority of Scotland fans

So was I bud.

What would be more interesting though having read a few more comments, is to see how many of those 'rangers fans' buy tickets regularly

So you might have 20% that registered as bears but only 1% buy tickets. The SFA will therefore probably know how much potential they are losing out on

Agree.

I used to go to every home game & even Wembley & Anfield back in the day, but I just can’t allow myself to support my own country now mate.

Last edited:
Misleading thread title.

20% of the tartan army (there’s only 15,000 members in total) are rangers fans.

So 3,000 rangers fans. Not so unbelievable really.
That’s a huge number. I know loads of tartan army boys and they all despise rangers and openly admit it after a drink. I’ve seen their videos from abroad and it’s like an Aberdeen away trip.
20% of fans I could have believed but I’m very surprised 20% of the Tranny Army are bears

Seems I’m in the minuscule minority, certainly on FF anyway. I’m still a Rangers and Scotland fan. Rangers first mind you, but I’m a Scotland supporter all the way.

Go easy, I can’t find my tin hat!! I swear I left it next to my tartan scarf!!

:))

I remember going to Hampden to watch Scotland v Cyprus in 1969 with Colin Stein scoring 4 goals. Almost everybody in the Rangers end that day appeared to be a bluenose going with the comments. Changed days as now I find it hard to believe that many Rangers fans attend Scotland games.
Had to believe the Rangers end was actually full of Rangers fans at Scotland games now.

Changed days..

In the 60's, 70's and early 80's I was a diehard Scotland fan and followed them all over but over the years there was a creeping anti Rangers sentiment seeping into the support and when it got to the stage that Rangers players were actively being booed by the "support" I reckoned that the Tranny Army wasn't for me anymore.
I actually put a lot of it down to swapping our National Anthem for a dirge that celebrates "getting it right up the English".
For the life of me I just can't get my head around any Rangers supporter feeling "at one" standing with the current bunch of Scotland supporters who absolutely detest us and are quite happy to let their feelings known.
I detest the fact that supporting my National team and indeed being proud of the Saltire has been stolen from me by a bunch of racist, xenophobic and even sectarian English hating bastards!
:mad:

Pre 2012 i think this was correct. No so sure now. Certainly not in the away support and i say that as Rangers fan who went to Scotland away games until i found it intolerable. Lot of Celtic fans who previously had no interest jamp on the bandwagon when the team was full of Celtic players. Id say its mainly a mixture of folk who support diddy teams. There are still a lot of rangers fans in there but unstanuch ones..

Used to be nearer 40% around the turn of the millennium

And that was it having already decreased over the years prior to then as well

You’d imagine the Rangers support made up a majority of the Scotland support in the days of the old Hampden and before the SFA started running Scottish football like primary headmasters
I would have put it higher in the seventies and eighties. more like 60%.
It has taken us a long time to understand how much these cvunts in the SFA dislike us and even longer to react.
But every year will see our support for the national team dwindle.
It must be costing the SFA a fair few bob, because at Hampden it was us filling the ground.
I remember being in the Filth end for a huge game against the Czechs in the seventies and I was surprised to find that most of those around me were Rangers supporters, bearing in mind we were probably filling most of the rest of the ground as well.

According to Clyde, official figures from registered Scotland supporters club fans

Roundabout the 20% mark, then everyone else filtering in behind.

Surprising
I find that hard to believe.
Around twenty of us went to the Scotland/Norway game, around 1990 when McCoist scored.
Guys who’d later follow Rangers throughout Europe.
That game was my last international.
Not one of these guys has been to an international in fifteen years.

Last time I attended a Scotland game was in 1988 I’m sure and I remember Richard Gough getting injured and a man sitting directly behind me exclaiming that he hoped Gough would be ok for Saturday. And that this statement was certainly well received by the folks round us. Back then Rangers fans were definitely the majority. Sadly with the forced demise of our club; a rangers hating fever has engulfed Scotland.
We as Rangers fan should be proud of our Scottish and British roots. Don’t let the nats claim the national team is theirs and theirs only. It is our Country and also our national team. As Rangers grow stronger, the national team will grow stronger. And Rangers fans will reclaim the national team and its support from the nobodies and irrelevant

Seems to be a fair number on here who are convinced it’s not true, yet proudly claim they haven’t been to a game themselves in years :D

Of course there will still be a huge percentage of the Scotland support that are Rangers fans, like there always has been, and I’d imagine always will be.

I used to be a member of the SSC a few years back and only stopped when they started messing around with the kick-off times. The peak anti-Rangers sentiment on social media was off-putting, but I can’t say I ever encountered it at the games. Only occasion was Ian Black at Easter Road, and some would argue there was an anti-Hearts, or anti-Ian Black, sentiment thrown into the mix on that occasion.

Met loads of Rangers fans. Most tended to be dads with their families. Maybe preferable to take the kids to Hampden over Ibrox.

I would say it was 50% plus in the 70’s and 80’s before the SFA and member clubs fucked it for us and sent the national team into terminal decline.

Surprised it’s still as high as 20% tbh.

I remember going to Hampden to watch Scotland v Cyprus in 1969 with Colin Stein scoring 4 goals. Almost everybody in the Rangers end that day appeared to be a bluenose going with the comments. Changed days as now I find it hard to believe that many Rangers fans attend Scotland games.

I can remember Section J chanting, “we don’t need the p*** support, we don’t need the p*** support, na na na naaa, na na na naaa”

Changed days indeed. Almost half, or more midweek, of any Scotland crowd back in the 70’s were bears. Our bus from Hamilton to the away home internationals had a no tims rule and was a 100% sash bash on the tape deck south.

Now, I genuinely don’t know any bears who go to Scotland games after the way we’ve been treated.

That’s a huge number. I know loads of tartan army boys and they all despise rangers and openly admit it after a drink. I’ve seen their videos from abroad and it’s like an Aberdeen away trip.
20% of fans I could have believed but I’m very surprised 20% of the Tranny Army are bears

Don’t forget the actual number of rangers fans that exist dwarfs that of the likes of Aberdeen, Killie, Hibs etc.

So even if the tiniest fraction of rangers fans sign up to the tranny army in comparison to a big fraction of Aberdeen or Killie - we’d still likely have higher numbers.

From 2004-2012 when I was in the SSC , the gers support was usually 40% of the 30k membership it got to at its highest. Now it’s 20% of 15k, it’s clear as day why Hampden is more than half empty after making it a place our support don’t want to attend a game.
It’s something I’d like to see change, but think the lines been drawn too deep now for it to be fixed between both sides. It’s as much out right as anyone else’s to support our country.

Used to be nearer 40% around the turn of the millennium

And that was it having already decreased over the years prior to then as well

You’d imagine the Rangers support made up a majority of the Scotland support in the days of the old Hampden and before the SFA started running Scottish football like primary headmasters
Used to see many a Rangers scarf and bunnet for Scotland games at Hampden in the 70s and 80s.

Last time I attended a Scotland game was in 1988 I’m sure and I remember Richard Gough getting injured and a man sitting directly behind me exclaiming that he hoped Gough would be ok for Saturday. And that this statement was certainly well received by the folks round us. Back then Rangers fans were definitely the majority. Sadly with the forced demise of our club; a rangers hating fever has engulfed Scotland.
We as Rangers fan should be proud of our Scottish and British roots. Don’t let the nats claim the national team is theirs and theirs only. It is our Country and also our national team. As Rangers grow stronger, the national team will grow stronger. And Rangers fans will reclaim the national team and its support from the nobodies and irrelevant
I agree with most of your sentiment mate but that ain't going to happen any time soon with Steve Clarke in charge of the squad.
You could see the anguish in his face when he saw Ryan Jack play a blinder in our recent games, it was almost like...oh fcuk, I'm going to have to pick him now!
I'm sorry to say that I genuinely believe that anti Rangers feeling goes all the way from the troops on the ground all the way up to boardroom level at the SFA and indeed the SPFL.
That might sound a bit paranoiac and irrational but I genuinely think this is the case.
Rangers are the most hated club in the country from the supporters and directors of other clubs, the media and the hierarchy!
Sad but true I'm afraid!

I left a long time ago

Before I got arrested (or done in) for responding to the ridiculous stuff round about me at various Rangers players

My last game was the famous Shagger and Fergie incident where Ferguson does the childish vickys at the press photographers :))

Anyway, he and shagger were getting some amount of stick from wanks in the South Stand and I ended up in raging arguments with the fuds. Was eventually asked to calm down and said I’d happily do so if they papped the Rangers hating wanks out the ground.

And that was it for me. I’ve got a family and a respectable business and I decided I’m not getting arrested over fannies like that. I’m out as far as attending Scotland games is concerned

My last game was the famous Shagger and Fergie incident where Ferguson does the childish vickys at the press photographers :))

Anyway, he and shagger were getting some amount of stick from wanks in the South Stand and I ended up in raging arguments with the fuds. Was eventually asked to calm down and said I’d happily do so if they papped the Rangers hating wanks out the ground.

And that was it for me. I’ve got a family and a respectable business and I decided I’m not getting arrested over fannies like that. I’m out as far as attending Scotland games is concerned
Funnily enough I was at that game as a guest in corporate hospitality and some Hamish got upset because I refused to stand for FOS and told him I always stand for my national anthem GSTQ. Boy was unimpressed to say the least. The last game I went to as a paying fan was against NI in a WC qualifying game about same time Souness came to Rangers. For me the hatred really kicked in and I quit following them and from there my interest has declined to where I am now I utterly detest them and avoid watching and hope to hear they’ve been gubbed. The secessionists are to thank for my attitude.

Very surprised the figure is so high to be honest. I started following the national team when my dad took me and my brother during the 70's, regularly attended matches through the 80's. Gradually attended less over the year's, the final straw for me being the Duncan Ferguson fiasco - never been at a Scotland game since.

I don't know a single Rangers fan who attends Scotland games now.

Used to love going to Scotland games when younger. Wednesday nights at the old Hampden. Went with mates and it was a wee change from going to watch Rangers with my Dad.
Then most of the players were playing for top English teams with a few from Rangers and them. Decent teams and some great games.
Wouldn't even dream of going to see the national team now and I have no friends who do. Actually surprises me the we still make up 20% of the support.
Sad days when you are alienated from your national football team.

According to Clyde, official figures from registered Scotland supporters club fans

Surprising

Not really.
Games in Glasgow means more locals.
The number of other fans will support lots of other sides including juniors.
The group I go with are Ayr fans, a killie, five gers st holders.
Given that the old firm are the main supporters in Scotland, it's no surprise they will be the majority supporting Scotland.

Surprising
Very surprising. Seriously though, I don't believe a bit of it. I don't know a single Bear who goes to Scotland games. I barely know any who even bothers to watch them on TV, nevermind registered with the Scotland supporters club.

Back