Fed up hearing how good our Academy is

chucknorris

Without seeing players being produced for the first team. All that matters is what players come through and as far as i can see no-one is close.

We had to put a right back who hadnt played for months last night at left back. Is there not a left back coming through we could have played?
Is there not a winger coming through that is better than Ojo?
Do we really need to sign 4 centre halfs in 18 months, is there nobody in the academy capable of being 4th choice at least?

I wouldnt blame the better ones for leaving. If you are Kennedy or McPake and you see Ojo playing and a 3 year deal handed to Brandon Barker blocking your 'pathway' I'd be considering my options.

The whole thing has been overhauled so it will take time to bear fruit but I understand your frustration.

It's all good and well winning youth trophies and leagues but the real measure of success of the academy, is how many graduates it produces for the first-team.

I'd much rather we won fk all at that level but had 1 or 2 players a season making the breakthrough to our first team squad.

There was an excellent point from @David Edgar the other day on Heart and Hand. You want to see what pushing through kids too early looks like look at Cochrane at Hearts.

Yes the youth levels look good and some very good potential there but it hasn't been that way for that long, patience is required its not as simple as saying throw the best LB in the youth levels in to first team for an away day at Sheep.

There was an excellent point from @David Edgar the other day on Heart and Hand. You want to see what pushing through kids too early looks like look at Cochrane at Hearts.

Yes the youth levels look good and some very good potential there but it hasn't been that way for that long, patience is required its not as simple as saying throw the best LB in the youth levels in to first team for an away day at Sheep.

I get how putting them in for a prolonged period too early can damage them, im not suggesting throwing them in as mainstays but surely there are a few that can fill in the odd game if they are as good as we are led to believe.

Now isn't the time for throwing academy players in.If and after last night it's a bigger if ,we win the league we can start to blood young players next season.If we fail this season it will be even worse next season.
The environment the now with the fanbase like ravenous dogs for a title after years of famine isn't right for playing kids.Cause there's no patience.

This is nonsense imo.

We have only recently got our academy back from basically nothing. Now unless you have some sort of forward time machine that can advance the age of youngsters and get them into the first team then what can you honestly do?

Weve not just got it back. Its been overhauled since Warburton was in yet weve still not got one player that can make the bench.

Without seeing players being produced for the first team. All that matters is what players come through and as far as i can see no-one is close.

We had to put a right back who hadnt played for months last night at left back. Is there not a left back coming through we could have played?
Do we really need to sign 4 centre halfs in 18 months, is there nobody in the academy capable of being 4th choice at least?

I wouldnt blame the better ones for leaving. If you are Kennedy or McPake and you see Ojo playing and a 3 year deal handed to Brandon Barker blocking your 'pathway' I'd be considering my options.

Jesus Christ.

Honest to %^*& Chuck.

This is one of the worst knee-jerk reaction posts I have ever seen on here.

Let's either throw 16 year olds into the mix or apparently make a time machine to get all our young team ready. Is this even real or is OP at the wind up?

The majority of players in our youth system will not be good enough for a bottom 6 SPFL team even at the age of 19 or 20. Even fewer will play at the Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen level. Only a handful will be realistic prospects for our first team. The odds of one being able to step into massive game and not get shown up are low.

Let's either throw 16 year olds into the mix or apparently make a time machine to get all our young team ready. Is this even real or is OP at the wind up?

I honestly just think the OP doesn't realise how young our youth teams are. We haven't got a bunch of 18-20 years old knocking at the door of the first team.

That is quite the statement given the history of knee jerk reactions on this board!

Vuhg.gif

bonkers thread, young boys cant just be thrown in to games because they are talented (bar the odd exception)

moving from youth to senior sport is very difficult for a lot of boys, even st amateur level.

Ive been coaching for years and bringing boys from u18s/20s into seniors is not not a decision thats easy.

doing it on one of our hardest away days would be utter stupidity

It was only a few years ago our youth set up was overhauled completely so pretty much all the lads aren't ready for 1st team football yet. As its been said we have a lot of younger teams playing competitions designed for older lads.

So now it's Academy getting moaned at, all because of a draw.

This place is f*cking nuts :eek:

Don’t think anyone is moaning at it, it’s a fair point.

Even if we didn’t play an academy product in the game yesterday, surely we could have rested Barisic against Hearts at home and played a natural left back from the academy there as opposed to a midfielder in Halliday or a right back in Flanagan, both of whom having barely played?

It’s those sort of games at home against utter shite where you’d expect to see one get a chance.

'away to aberdeen and we throw in an untested 18 year old. What was Gerrard thinking? We've an experienced full back who has played well in big games for us before, yet gerrard throws in a teenager instead?'

Just a flavour on what the threads would have been like if we had went with the OP's suggestion.

We are not in a position to give academy players games. Certainly not at pittodrie against a team who just want to kick us!

And we club that we are in a league where the final few games of the season decide titles. We don’t play dead rubbers, certainly not anymore. The best thing we can do is what we do in the tunnocks cup.

Don’t think anyone is moaning at it, it’s a fair point.

Even if we didn’t play an academy product in the game yesterday, surely we could have rested Barisic against Hearts at home and played a natural left back from the academy there as opposed to a midfielder in Halliday or a right back in Flanagan, both of whom having barely played?

It’s those sort of games at home against utter shite where you’d expect to see one get a chance.

The fact you said "a natural left back from the academy" instead of actually naming one suggests to me that there isn't actually one ready to make that step up.

'away to aberdeen and we throw in an untested 18 year old. What was Gerrard thinking? We've an experienced full back who has played well in big games for us before, yet gerrard throws in a teenager instead?'

Just a flavour on what the threads would have been like if we had went with the OP's suggestion.

Our manager and players will make mistakes, that's why we aren't at the highest level.

But sometimes they really can't win. As you say if Gerrard changed it up tonight and it didn't work people would be asking why he didn't stick with what's been working.

I kinda get the point the op is trying to get across and is being taken out of context by a few. I don't think he is saying we should be throwing in 17-18 year olds. More the fact there should be boys pushing to be even involved in the 18 everyweek. Yes we have mayo,Kennedy all been around it. No1 will convince me here that Kennedy,atayaki would have been worse than ojo has in the games he has played

Our best academy players are just about turning 18 and competing (winning) at elite level.

They are still built like kids most of them

You are getting slaughtered here mate :))

I'm not. The club is striving for excellence at all levels. It will take a bit more time before it arrives at the first team.

Our best academy players are just about turning 18 and competing (winning) at elite level.

They are still built like kids most of them

You are getting slaughtered here mate :))

Sure am. Stand by it.
Kennedy could have benefited from the minutes Barker has had this season and probably contributed more, now weve got Barker on a 3 year deal who cant make the bench most weeks.
Barjonas could have had the minutes King has had.
Think there is a left back getting rave reviews in the youths but we cant play him one game to replace Borna. Other teams dont seem to hesitate in putting players in. Were far too protective of them.
All over Europe there are 17/18 making an impression in first teams but according to FF we cant do that.

The whole thing has been overhauled so it will take time to bear fruit but I understand your frustration.

It's all good and well winning youth trophies and leagues but the real measure of success of the academy, is how many graduates it produces for the first-team.

I'd much rather we won fk all at that level but had 1 or 2 players a season making the breakthrough to our first team squad.

So being overhauled means the current academy players cant play in the first team?

Its like we cant get enough excuses out to hide the inadequacies.

Beerman is a prime example of throwing a kid in at left back in big games when he wasn't ready. The penalty he gave away against scum was one of the worst bits of decision making I have seen and his career never really recovered after that.

This is the epitome of the scatter gun after a bad result, everything, absolutely everything is shite with absolutely no context.

The fucking youth academy was neglected for years and is getting sorted, results prove that, but if you think throwing kids into a high pressure season like this is the answer then you’re off your nogging.

This is the epitome of the scatter gun after a bad result, everything, absolutely everything is shite with absolutely no context.

The fucking youth academy was neglected for years and is getting sorted, results prove that, but if you think throwing kids into a high pressure season like this is the answer then you’re off your nogging.

And if we dont win it this year next year will be even more high pressure. So when do we do it?

At least give an example of who from the academy should come in and in place of who to back yourself up?

Back