Who Do We Keep on in the Summer? (10 Players Out of Contract)

Uddy Gers

Players out of contract in the summer as follows:

Goalkeepers
Wes Foderingham
Andy Firth
Jak Alnwick

Defenders
Jon Flanagan
Andy Halliday

Midfielders
Jordan Rossiter
Jason Holt

Attackers
Eduardo Herrera
Sheyi Ojo (Loan deal up)
Jermain Defoe (Loan deal up)

Let’s hear your opinions.

Robby McCrorie will come back in the summer and I think he’s ready to be deputy to McGregor and we can ease him into cup games and he can eventually replace McGregor when retirement comes.

I’d extend Firth’s deal by one year as third choice goalie.

I’d let Alnwick and Foderingham go. I think Wes deserves first team football and he’ll go with our best wishes.

I’d possibly extend Flanagan’s contract by a year, but we do have the young players coming through who could benefit from having a clear pathway to the first team. I trust management to make correct decision with this, is Patterson ready to make step up?

I’d let Halliday go, again with best wishes.

Rossiter and Holt let go. Best wishes etc

Herrera and Ojo can wave goodbye.

Give Defoe a one year permanent deal as backup.

What we all thinking?

Defoe, but only if the wages are reasonable and he's realistic about his role.

No chance of keeping Foderingham. McCrorie either goes out on loan or stays as the backup and the cup keeper. Kieran Wright can fulfill the Firth role.

Goalkeepers
Wes Foderingham
Andy Firth
Jak Alnwick

Defenders
Jon Flanagan
Andy Halliday

Midfielders
Jordan Rossiter
Jason Holt

Attackers
Eduardo Herrera
Sheyi Ojo (Loan deal up)

Robby McCrorie will come back in the summer and I think he’s ready to be deputy to McGregor and we can ease him into cup games and he can eventually replace McGregor when retirement comes.

I’d let Alnwick and Foderingham go. I think Wes deserves first team football and he’ll go with our best wishes.

I’d possibly extend Flanagan’s contract by a year, but we do have the young players coming through who could benefit from having a clear pathway to the first team. I trust management to make correct decision with this, is Patterson ready to make step up?

What we all thinking?

similar to you.

defoe seems stick on for a year, flanagan and halliday are a similar boat - if they’re on 3k a week it’s ok cover but we need better.

id keep fod but I’d imagine he’d rather play so fair enough it’s more likely to be his choice than ours.

can’t comment on firth but if he’s cheap and seen as adequate by the boss then he can hang around.

If Robby mc isn’t getting starts (or plans to) I’d punt him to an spl team for6 months like shagger did at Dunfermline. Check him in this league

in short - defoe

I think there has been a very intentional project to tie down anyone long term who is this close to expiration.

I suspect they are playing the Defoe situation by ear.

That aside, all other players on your list will go with varying degrees of best wishes.

I'd keep Defoe if the wages are right and get rid of every single other one.

Based on where we are just now, not one of them would be missed with the exception of Wes and it looks like McCrorie is ready to step in to that role.

You could Middleton to the list there too in terms of people not contributing anything to the 1st team at the moment who is on the books but he maybe takes the likes of Barker's role next year.

Murphy and Doc are away too for all they're doing for us.

Next year is about making our starting XI even better again and using youth players to fill the roles of Halliday and Flanagan etc in the squad.

The central creative position is probably the one area on the park that we can look at upgrading (if Aribo is in the more advanced role) with Davis a year older, Kamara possibly away and Arfield certainly someone who we'd hope we can improve on.

If you free up the wages of everyone listed, it makes a great improvement to our running cost and can be used for 3 quality options backed up by youth.

Goalkeepers
Wes Foderingham
Andy Firth
Jak Alnwick

Defenders
Jon Flanagan
Andy Halliday

Midfielders
Jordan Rossiter
Jason Holt

Attackers
Eduardo Herrera
Sheyi Ojo (Loan deal up)

What we all thinking?
Would Firth warming a bench for 2 seasons be better than the Youth Goalie playing week in week out?
Defoe and Flano probably stay, the rest will be gone.

Defoe only.

Flanagan is poor and if posters on here are to be believed, Nathan Patterson could potentially step up to be a back up right back.

I’d offer Wes a deal (though I suspect he’ll knock it back)

I’d also offer Defoe a new deal (on relative peanuts) but I would expect him to become 3rd choice striker.

I’d also probably offer Flanagan another short term deal. He’s a solid enough back-up (flexibly on both sides of the pitch) albeit has his limitations in comparison to Barisic and Tav going forward.

The rest can leave in the summer with a league winners medal in their pocket.

similar to you.

defoe seems stick on for a year, flanagan and halliday are a similar boat - if they’re on 3k a week it’s ok cover but we need better.
Mental if you actually think Flanagan is only on around 3k a week haha

You could Middleton to the list there too in terms of people not contributing anything to the 1st team at the moment who is on the books but he maybe takes the likes of Barker's role next year.

Next year is about making our starting XI even better again and using youth players to fill the roles of Halliday and Flanagan etc in the squad.

If you free up the wages of everyone listed, it makes a great improvement to our running cost and can be used for 3 quality options backed up by youth.
You dismiss Middleton, who has just turned 20, then mention youth twice?

Defoe, Wes and Flanagan for me. All as back up of course. Would possibly consider Halliday as a last resort back up as well.

Id keep Defoe, think he will still guarantee 12-15 goals next season, he will get chances and he will bury those chances

Wes, if he wants to, but maybe he'll want first team football.
Firth as he'll be on about 20p a week and he seems quite happy milling around doing nothing.
Flanagan I'm on the fence about tbh. No tears either way.
Halliday I think would get offered a year, whether he wants more game time or is happy to stay I don't know.
Defoe yes 1 year with coaching role.
The rest can go with best wishes.

I would retain Holt and turn him into a fullback as cover
That keep our youths happy.
That’d show them there’s a door, a route, to the top team.
Not withstanding that Holt has done nothing to indicate he could be successful at full back.

Defoe and at a push Flanagan purely because he can cover both full back slots but I reckon we will upgrade him in the summer especially with the two youth full backs pushing for a first team breakthrough.

Goalkeeper
Wes Foderingham
Defenders
Jon Flanagan

Last edited:
You dismiss Middleton, who has just turned 20, then mention youth twice?

Yes and I also said he maybe takes Barker's place in the squad. It's in the very same sentence you're talking about. Did you read the rest of the sentence of just stop after the first few words? o_O

He's contributing as much to the first team just now, as things stand, as Herrera and Grezda so unless he has a good 2nd half of the season on loan and is deemed worthy of a place, he'll be out on loan again with the likes of McPake possibly in his place as far as the squad goes (like Middleton was as an 18 year old)

Back