Who Do We Keep on in the Summer? (10 Players Out of Contract)

Defoe is a certainty.

Need to keep hold of a goalie. Possibly Flanagan.

Rest can go with our thanks.

Defoe is the only one I would lose sleep over IF he keeps at the same level for the rest of the season and of course he fancies another year at vastly reduced wages.

Wes I would imagine is good enough to get a decent English League One or Championship team as first choice - we should probably have cashed in on him during the summer in all honesty.

We should be looking to bring in players who are going to challenge for first team spots instead of simply just filling the squad with (sometimes expensive) bodies - which is something we have been far too guilty of in recent seasons.

Firth is on peanuts and seems content being our number 3 so fine with that.

Wes will be the best keeper in Scotland outside McGregor and Lurch and should be playing 1st team football.

I'd give Defoe another year, but that's the lot for me.

Defoe for me. Not too worried about the rest although if shagger gets a long term injury we would be kicking ourselves for getting rid of west unless we buy another good keeper.

Defoe the rest are not first team quality and we hopefully will be getting better players in with the champions league money

That keep our youths happy.
That’d show them there’s a door, a route, to the top team.
Not withstanding that Holt has done nothing to indicate he could be successful at full back.
You do realise I was only joking don’t you ?

Keep one of the goalies as back up (probably Firth as Wes is too good and on too big a wage to sit on the bench).

Keep at least one of Halliday and Flanagan. (Definitely keep Halliday until our next title win, he deserves it.)

Keep Defoe depending on how he feels/who comes in/his wage demands next season.

Only Defoe for me. Halliday and Wes deserve much more game time than we can give them. The rest aren’t good enough. And if we were to sign a young striker of quality I would rather let Defoe go than watch his talent wasted on the bench.

Would like to see Defoe here 100%.

Wes too but he will want a regular game.

I see no harm in Andy Halliday being around the squad and hope he gets a new deal.

I remember SG saying Halliday was like his unofficial dressing room captain, so I'd keep him purely based on that.

Wouldn't have a problem keeping Defoe and Flanagan. Would keep Wes but I reckon his mind is already made up.

Foderingham - try to see if a team will pay a small fee to take him now as he’s too good to be warming our bench
Firth - keep as low cost #3

Flanagan & Halliday - let both go or keep one as utility cover on reduced wages with a bigger appearance/bonus fees.

Holt - let go, but again let go for free in January if someone would take him.

Defoe - keep but on reduced wage, again incentivise based on appearances & goals.

Alnwick, Rossiter & Herrera - let go ASAP, otherwise let their contracts run down.

Gerrard has shown which players he wants to keep by giving contract extensions ahead of time.

I think Defoe will be the only definite on that list, the others will depend on the success or failure of our recruitment process.

Players out of contract in the summer as follows:

Goalkeepers
Wes Foderingham
Andy Firth
Jak Alnwick

Defenders
Jon Flanagan
Andy Halliday

Midfielders
Jordan Rossiter
Jason Holt

Attackers
Eduardo Herrera
Sheyi Ojo (Loan deal up)
Jermain Defoe (Loan deal up)

Let’s hear your opinions.

Robby McCrorie will come back in the summer and I think he’s ready to be deputy to McGregor and we can ease him into cup games and he can eventually replace McGregor when retirement comes.

I’d extend Firth’s deal by one year as third choice goalie.

I’d let Alnwick and Foderingham go. I think Wes deserves first team football and he’ll go with our best wishes.

I’d possibly extend Flanagan’s contract by a year, but we do have the young players coming through who could benefit from having a clear pathway to the first team. I trust management to make correct decision with this, is Patterson ready to make step up?

I’d let Halliday go, again with best wishes.

Rossiter and Holt let go. Best wishes etc

Herrera and Ojo can wave goodbye.

Give Defoe a one year permanent deal as backup.

What we all thinking?

Being selfish I’d extend Wes & Defoe but understand Wes’s position, so probably only therefore a one year deal for Jermain.

Hope Andy Halliday gets offered a new 1 or 2 year deal. But then, I'm maybe soft and sentimental when it comes to a guy who, despite limitations, very rarely lets the team/club down and is living the dream.

Only ones I'd renew are Flanagan and Defoe. I have faith in Robby McCrorie to step up as Rangers next Number 2 Goalkeeper. Every other player we should seriously be letting go. Will be sad to see Halliday go, but he falls short of the quality of player that should be playing for Rangers.

Flanagan hasn't done anything wrong but we are clearly a much better team with a natural left-back playing in that position. In how many games do we need a stopper at left-back? I would let him go.

Defoe and maybe firth (low wage and seems a decent influence at the club)

Wes is a great keeper but is on like 8k a week and is wanted in England so we'd need to offer more to keep him.

For those saying keep Flannigan, at Liverpool he was on 35k a week and there is no way he'd be on anything less than 8/10k here. For a full back who doesn't suit our system, he is a solid defensive full back and we play attacking full backs. When Flannigan plays (especially at left back) his lack of offensive ability (& left foot) massively hinders us. Is that worth a massive wage?

The rest either aren't good enough or are on big wages.

Defoe is a no brainer if he wants to join the club.

The rest can go. Flanagan is good for covering the fullbacks but I think we can do better in the summer.

Flanagan hasn't done anything wrong but we are clearly a much better team with a natural left-back playing in that position. In how many games do we need a stopper at left-back? I would let him go.

He has...he's been poor in a lot of the games he's played. We need much better.

Defoe, Flanagan and Foderingham a 1 year extension. The rest need to go. Would love to keep Halliday around but realistically he won't get much game time so it's best he moves on

Defoe only.

Flanagan is poor and if posters on here are to be believed, Nathan Patterson could potentially step up to be a back up right back.
Flanagan, to my knowledge, has played right back once or twice in 18 months....

He is a back up left back and only 1 of him or Halliday will be retained imo. Both have their weaknesses though.

Hope Andy Halliday gets offered a new 1 or 2 year deal. But then, I'm maybe soft and sentimental when it comes to a guy who, despite limitations, very rarely lets the team/club down and is living the dream.

Lol very rarely let the team down. You must have been asleep for a long time and missed the bheasts singing his name in sarcasm.

Take sentiments out of it, the guy is a waste of a wage which shows given he’s hardly featured this season.

Keep Wes if he fancies it, Defoe and the rest could go and wouldn’t be missed

Defoe, but only if the wages are reasonable and he's realistic about his role.

No chance of keeping Foderingham. McCrorie either goes out on loan or stays as the backup and the cup keeper. Kieran Wright can fulfill the Firth role.
Defoe is a significant class above every other footballer plying their trade in Scotland.
His age is the only negative factor he has.
He will cost us a great deal of money if he agrees to stay and he’ll be worth every penny of it.
Critical we keep him.

Firth - Third choice keeper and very cheap.

Flanagan - Decent cover for both full back positions.

Halliday - decent cover for a few different positions and supposedly great in the dressing room.

Defoe - perfect back up striker.

Players out of contract in the summer as follows:

Goalkeepers
Wes Foderingham
Andy Firth
Jak Alnwick

Defenders
Jon Flanagan
Andy Halliday

Midfielders
Jordan Rossiter
Jason Holt

Attackers
Eduardo Herrera
Sheyi Ojo (Loan deal up)
Jermain Defoe (Loan deal up)

Let’s hear your opinions.

Robby McCrorie will come back in the summer and I think he’s ready to be deputy to McGregor and we can ease him into cup games and he can eventually replace McGregor when retirement comes.

I’d extend Firth’s deal by one year as third choice goalie.

I’d let Alnwick and Foderingham go. I think Wes deserves first team football and he’ll go with our best wishes.

I’d possibly extend Flanagan’s contract by a year, but we do have the young players coming through who could benefit from having a clear pathway to the first team. I trust management to make correct decision with this, is Patterson ready to make step up?

I’d let Halliday go, again with best wishes.

Rossiter and Holt let go. Best wishes etc

Herrera and Ojo can wave goodbye.

Give Defoe a one year permanent deal as backup.

What we all thinking?
I would be happy to go with this too. Make some elbow room to bring some of our younger players through.

For me

Defoe 1 Year + put him through coaching badges if he's interested.
Flanagan 1 year but not overly fussed on that one it depends on how ready youth full backs would be to step up

The rest can go. Halliday hopefully leaves with a League Trophy at the end of the season.

Defoe is a significant class above every other footballer plying their trade in Scotland.
His age is the only negative factor he has.
He will cost us a great deal of money if he agrees to stay and he’ll be worth every penny of it.
Critical we keep him.
I like Defoe, but if he's going to cost us a huge sum in wages then I'd rather we took the money and gambled it on a younger striker.

If the price is right I've no problem with signing him though.

Firth - Third choice keeper and very cheap.

Flanagan - Decent cover for both full back positions.

Halliday - decent cover for a few different positions and supposedly great in the dressing room.

Defoe - perfect back up striker.
Flanagan is like playing with a man down in possession and the defensive side of his game is vastly overrated by our support because he flies into tackles.

We'd have been much better off keeping Delcan John than signing him

Back