Eddie Howe - Biggest fraud in football?

No, but he should have "cashed out" on his growing reputation a year ago as he risks becoming just another mid table manager and will become less and less attractive to the big clubs as the new wave of young managers come through.

Probably because of the job he’s done taking a club like Bournemouth to and staying in the EPL?

I think both parties need a change now though.

You mean Bournemouth aren’t big spending premier league regulars entitled to a mid table finish?

He’s done an excellent job with them. Remember when Jurgen Klopp ended up with a relegation scare at Dortmund?

Reminds me ,when Alan curbishley was manager of Charlton, he took them from 3rd tier to mid table epl ,,after a few years Charlton supporters thought he had taken as far as he could, so he walked and they went back to division 2
Always remember thinking their fans should be careful what they wish for! Other than a short stint at West Ham about 10 years ago i cant remember Curbishley having another job?

I always think they are quite streaky. Go on poor runs & then suddenly turn it around with a run of wins.

The only valid criticism that can be levelled is his judgement in the transfer market. Several of the big spends havent worked & tbh it was quite baffling to chuck the amount of money they did on Ibe & Solanke in particular.

In the round though, he has done a cracking job over the years

On another note, Pearson must be some motivator. They had a stat on Sky Sports that if you include his last run of games in Prem before Watford, hes only behind Klopp for most points in last 12 games or something like that

I think if we're talking about the words "fraud" and "Bournemouth" in the same sentence it's that the hyperbole and hype on here about Solanke is now looking very, very misguided.

2-0 down at home to Watford. No idea how his reputation is so high down South?
He’s a great manager , was being tipped for England and arsenal upto recently , they are having a shocking season , but the job he has done there has been outstanding, people have very short memories.

Nothing screams deserves a bigger club like having your club in the relegation places

He should have left when his stock was high. No matter how well they were doing year on year, with their budget you know all it took was a few bad signings and they would be in trouble.

I think no matter what happens this season he will walk away. They won't sack him IMO.

You mean Bournemouth aren’t big spending premier league regulars entitled to a mid table finish?

He’s done an excellent job with them. Remember when Jurgen Klopp ended up with a relegation scare at Dortmund?

Klopp also got relegated with Mainz and failed to get them promoted again before getting the job at Dortmund but it was recognised what a great job he had done to get them to that level with their resources.

Eddie Howe has done a brilliant job with Bournemouth. If he coached in another country with a bit more perspective then he would have been hired by a bigger team. Unluckily for him, in the EPL just now, most of the big teams only hire super coaches or ex-players hoping they'll somehow become Guardiola's Barca because of that.

Spent £224,000,000 on transfers in 4 years to do nothing better than barely avoid relegation by the skin of their teeth year-on-year.
They finished 9th and then 12th just in the last couple seasons , hardly skin of their teeth. An embarrassing thread tbh.

Solanke was a disaster for them. 19 million down the pan - imagine what our management team could do with that dough!

A definite case of them out growing each other.

I think this is about the measure of it.

As the old saying goes, “familiarity breeds contempt”.

Probably best for both if they went separate ways.

As an aside, Nigel Pearson never seems to get the credit he deserves. He handed his successors at Leicester a pretty decent squad when he left them.

They won the league the very next season.

Last edited:
I think his time at Bournemouth is up. It won't matter one jot the job he's done with Bournemouth in the past - there's no sentiment in the EPL. It's the here and now that matters and somebody will be brought in to try and patch up their sinking ship in the next week or so I would imagine.

They finished 9th and then 12th just in the last couple seasons , hardly skin of their teeth. An embarrassing thread tbh.
In the Premier League they've finished 16th, 9th, 12th, 14th and are currently sitting 19th at the moment. Despite having a good core squad with players like Ake, Wilson, Brooks, Fraser and King they haven't been able to make progress outside of 1 season. That's completely on the manager, calling him the biggest fraud in football is too far but it's clear that he's barely a pl level manager if at all

1578633811801.jpg

Jej

Is there not a certain point in the window they’d have to do it? I’d imagine if they were going to they’d have to inform us their intentions by x date

Is it possible he could recall Defoe this January due to their league position.?
As it looks like the Solanke signing isn’t work out for them.

In the Premier League they've finished 16th, 9th, 12th, 14th and are currently sitting 19th at the moment. Despite having a good core squad with players like Ake, Wilson, Brooks, Fraser and King they haven't been able to make progress outside of 1 season. That's completely on the manager, calling him the biggest fraud in football is too far but it's clear that he's barely a pl level manager if at all
Those core players you mentioned , Ake fair enough , however...

Wilson - 3 million from Coventry City.

Brooks - signed from Sheffield Utd , was on loan at non league Halifax town the previous season.

Fraser - 400k signing from the sheep.

King - Free Transfer from Blackburn.

its hardly a core of experienced pros who you would expect to compete at the top end of the premier league.

2-0 down at home to Watford. No idea how his reputation is so high down South?

Harsh mate. He's done really well getting Bournemouth to the EPL and keeping them there.
I think calling him a fraud is too much to be honest, he's had them playing decent football over the piece.
All down to opinions though.

The frauds are the Guardiola's of this world. Go round all the biggest clubs with the best players and open chequebooks. Would love to see Pearson and Howe and Klopp and Guardiola swap roles. Then assess after a season or two who's committing fraud. Would love to see Guardiola who has more money than him and his offspring will ever need to take a Burnley on, and show his management skills!

He took Bournemouth from languishing in League 2 to the Premier League.

I’d say that’s why his reputation is so high.

And has kept them there, fairly comfortably, for a few years now.

Grossly unfair to call him a fraud. Another poster said both parties need a change now. No matter how hard working or well intentioned you are, if you’re in the same role for more than few years a complacency sets in. Even if it’s subconscious it’s there. He need a change and a different challenge. Bournemouth need someone with different ideas. That’s life.

The frauds are the Guardiola's of this world. Go round all the biggest clubs with the best players and open chequebooks. Would love to see Pearson and Howe and Klopp and Guardiola swap roles. Then assess after a season or two who's committing fraud. Would love to see Guardiola who has more money than him and his offspring will ever need to take a Burnley on, and show his management skills!
I think Guardiola’s medals show that he clearly isn’t a fraud . I think someone like Marco Silva could be described as a fraud

Klopp has already done the "wee club, get them promoted, save them from relegation multiple times on a small budget before realising he needs to move on as there is nothing he could do" with Mainz

OP is a mentallist. The job Howe has done at Bournemouth is bordering on miraculous. He should have had a bigger job by now
To be fair,Nigel Pearson is not a bad coach and they've been in good form since he came in and he'll take a lot of scalps.

He's done remarkably well with a football club about the size of Pollok Juniors mate, but sometimes things become stale and you can do no more.

Possibly best for both parties if they parted ways now.

He'll be very high in demand if he does leave.

I was surprised he wasn't linked with the Arsenal job tbh. He's done a brilliant job but it's clear that things have gone stale.

Could have been a good shout for Everton as well.

For Bournemouth to even reach the Premier League is incredible, but to still be there after 5 seasons is absolutely amazing!!

Back