Eddie Howe - Biggest fraud in football?

Think his big money signings have mostly all flopped
Most of their signings have been players who've made their name in the championship or "promising youngsters" like Ibe and Solanke that haven't made the grade at other prem clubs.

They seemed to be good at bridging the quality gap with energy and hard graft but that looks to have worn off now. Can't see him being sacked midseason and he's probably a good shout to bring them back up if they do go down so not sure how this will progress

I think Guardiola’s medals show that he clearly isn’t a fraud . I think someone like Marco Silva could be described as a fraud
Given he's done everything in the game, with 3 top clubs, with top players and top chequebooks, I'd like to see what he can do without top players, open chequebooks and sporting power of Munich, Barca and City. If he could vastly improve Augsburg, Espanol or Burnley, then it's safe to assume it's his ability which has got him everything, not just no lose financial gigs with huge clubs.

Given he's done everything in the game, with 3 top clubs, with top players and top chequebooks, I'd like to see what he can do without top players, open chequebooks and sporting power of Munich, Barca and City. If he could vastly improve Augsburg, Espanol or Burnley, then it's safe to assume it's his ability which has got him everything, not just no lose financial gigs with huge clubs.
His ability got him the job at Barcelona, where clearly they knew what they were getting . Being successful there was the foundation for his other managerial roles.
Could he improve smaller clubs ?In my opinion yes. Will we ever see such an experiment ?highly unlikely.Is he fraud ? No chance .

Howe is a good manager and his achievements at Bournemouth are quite remarkable considering the position they were in a few years back. Personally think his time is done and he deserves a shot at a bigger club. Everton or West Ham would have good options for him.

As for Bournemouth and there dubious and questionable transfer activity it must be hard to convince a top player to play in that shitey wee ground though honestly and the Solanke deal will go down as one of the worst deals I've seen.

The boy is potentially living off a golden spell for Liverpool B team/England youth side and is never a Premiership striker.

His past record goes for nothing, look at Ranieri . He'l be okay until the home support turn on him.

Heard on Five Live he’s spent a net £75m over the last two seasons. Looks like he’s signed a succession of expensive duds.

EPL clubs spent £1.4Billion during the summer.

Aston Villa for instance spent £145million in the summer.

Trying to judge a team like Bournemouth on their spend in that league is as crazy as the OP.

He has lost 9 out of the past 11 games. I don't think many (any) managers survive that kind of form.

He will be gone in the next week for sure ...

Cracking manager. Performed miracles there to get Bournemouth to where they are now, albeit he went to Burnley for a season or 2 and failed badly there, he’s done great things with some bang average players. A small club with a big ambition but with a manager who has delivered a lot of those ambitions. He’s done a brilliant job there. He should rightly be considered for a bigger job, but he like all managers have a bit of bad luck, the good thing for him is he’s earned the time to turn things round with what he’s achieved. Football needs more guys like Eddie Howe in my opinion.

Edit: my opinion has massively changed in the year since this was posted.

Decent manager at best. Probably a decent guy as well, but he would never be able to handle a bigger job. At the time I posted, I felt that Bournemouth were still a decent premier league side clearly punching above their weight, but a good manager will always guide a club through adversity. Howe couldn’t manage that.

Last edited:
He should have left when his stock was high. No matter how well they were doing year on year, with their budget you know all it took was a few bad signings and they would be in trouble.

I think no matter what happens this season he will walk away. They won't sack him IMO.
Not likely to get easier either a few of the old guard like Daniel's, Gosling, Cook etc. are comin near the end and the likes of Fraser are off in the summer out of contract

Not likely to get easier either a few of the old guard like Daniel's, Gosling, Cook etc. are comin near the end and the likes of Fraser are off in the summer out of contract

If he was a bit more cycnical he could have seen this coming and jumped when his stock was high. I suppose you could say fair play to him for showing some loyalty, but there comes a point when a manager should know when to leave.

Ferguson chose the perfect time at United to chuck it. He seen the shit show that was about to happen.

When down in London whenever his name was mentioned fans off all clubs down there assumed he was Wengers successor at Arsenal obviously has never came about but shows how highly rated he is down there .

Hate threads like this were the op bases everything on the last few games and doesn't look at what he has done with them overall.

I will agree on the money wasted on shite the past few seasons though.

I was surprised he was happy to sell Mings. He's been excellent for Villa, is now in the England squad, and will likely end up being sold to a bigger club for a fortune.

I have nothing against Bournemouth but it is shocking that a team with a stadium capacity of 11,000 can be in the EPL.
The only reason they are is because of Eddie Howe.
He has done a phenomenal job there but I suspect his tactics are now being sussed out by other managers.

He was crap at Burnley, treated staff who had been there for a long time like shit to move in people from his own family and friends.
Staff who had been there from the dark failure days after Wright and Gazza when the club lost so much money. staff who agreed to a pay rise when Owen Coyle got them promoted but also agreed to a pay drop if they went back down in the first season.

The job he’s done is bordering on a miracle

But I would say times up for both him and the club, these things happen, things go stale and both parties need a change

Also though, have any of their ‘big’ money signings ever worked out?

The frauds are the Guardiola's of this world. Go round all the biggest clubs with the best players and open chequebooks. Would love to see Pearson and Howe and Klopp and Guardiola swap roles. Then assess after a season or two who's committing fraud. Would love to see Guardiola who has more money than him and his offspring will ever need to take a Burnley on, and show his management skills!
That's exactly my thoughts these super managers never work with lower league clubs lets c pep at a Bournemouth or Southampton or jose

This thread title is utterly moronic.

Even if he's past his sell by date now, he's still managed to make a team from the 4th tier of English football become an established Premier League side in the space of a decade.

To label anyone who's achieved that "the biggest fraud in football" - just LOL.

Always remember thinking their fans should be careful what they wish for! Other than a short stint at West Ham about 10 years ago i cant remember Curbishley having another job?
He doesn`t need to mate; the odd pundit appearance aside,he`s made enough to not need the grief..
A little known fact is that his brother is/was the manager of The Who...
between the two of them,I`d guess they`ll be absolutely minted...
In answer to the OP; Eddie Howe seems to have lost his way recently;but what a job he`s done for such a young guy;and such a wee club.....he deserves some loyalty even in this day and age.

EPL clubs spent £1.4Billion during the summer.

Aston Villa for instance spent £145million in the summer.

Trying to judge a team like Bournemouth on their spend in that league is as crazy as the OP.
I get that but maybe he could have spent better then? In any event a small team with such a small stadium and fan base are probably not an EPL side although I appreciate in sport all things are technically possible.

Most of their signings have been players who've made their name in the championship or "promising youngsters" like Ibe and Solanke that haven't made the grade at other prem clubs.

They seemed to be good at bridging the quality gap with energy and hard graft but that looks to have worn off now. Can't see him being sacked midseason and he's probably a good shout to bring them back up if they do go down so not sure how this will progress

I think Sheffield United will go a similar way. Punching well above their weight using hard work, effort and old fashioned getting stuck in. Teams will work them out and they won't be effective as much. Will be interesting to watch them next season see if they can replace players that leave.

When Howe leaves Bournemouth, suspect that he would have little difficulty in getting another managerial appointment.

Why would they bother though? Just to shut people online up?
Surely these guys themselves must know they've surfed the good times in teams where you're basically shooting fish in a barrel. If I was a top manager, had done everything, won everything, and had dream money I could never spend, I would wonder if I could take a nothing team to be something, and if I did it, it would mean as much as the glory days with the glitterati.

I think he's been terrific for them. It was only 2 months ago they were 7th after beating man Utd. They are going through a torrid time and are in a real battle right now, I hope they stay up.

2-0 down at home to Watford. No idea how his reputation is so high down South?

Came on to ask if you were trolling and having a laugh but I see many have beat me to it. He’s having his worst period as a manager, so let’s forget the years of success he’s had in taking Bournemouth from lower league to a stable Premier League team.

Think it’s gone a bit stale and both need a change. He will get a bigger club after his time is up there, whether it’s the clubs choice or his own.

Very harsh imo. They have a bucket load of injury’s which has affected them but as mentioned above the big money signings like solanke haven’t produced. He has worked wonders on a limited budget in comparison to the teams they are competing against & they play decent football at times!

As they used to say on Bullseye.
I’ve had a great time it’s now for somebody else To get a chance.

A good coach who has done well with Bournemouth. Probably at the point where he has taken them as far as he can and deserves a shot at a bigger club. If the man, the legend, Steven Gerrard was not our gaffer I'd have taken him no probs.

Back