Cash only at Ibrox

Reading The Caterer I see that Sodexo provide the catering at Hampdump and Windsor Park. Is there a noticeable difference?

The kids selling the pies struggle enough as it is. Imagine them having to deal with contactless payment issues?

Whole set-up needs an upgrade.

When is the contract up, also is there much scope to have anything better. Obviously better staff would help, some seem to go slow on purpose.
The staff get paid wallys, an absolute sham of a wage. And they’re overworked. It’s a shame. At LCF at the national dump, the staff were so slow it burned your eyes watching them!! Same at Ibrox. It’s not really the staffs fault to a point, if your getting paid so low your not going to burst your gut to work faster are you?
I knew the guy who runs the operation, not interested a not but been there for years and years.

Opposite at Chelsea some outlets are cashless. Can even buy programme at some stalls outside contactless

I remember going to Ajax and the only way you could buy anything was with a prepaid Ajax card that you had to buy from Ajax themselves, this is something the club should be looking at

The kids selling the pies struggle enough as it is. Imagine them having to deal with contactless payment issues?

Whole set-up needs an upgrade.
A better catering company would offer better money and better training. Which results in more intelligent people running the tills who have training.

The current catering company don’t give a shit, that needs to change this summer. Our new commercial director will get this right.

A better catering company would offer better money and better training. Which results in more intelligent people running the tills who have training.

The current catering company don’t give a shit, that needs to change this summer. Our new commercial director will get this right.
I know they were looking to do a full revamp of the kiosks etc, but as you say a better catering company would offer better choice for the people who matter the most, we the fans.
Hell will freeze over twice before elior give up the contract, they make plenty off it but don’t give a shit about the fans.
they charge a fortune for the crap they offer up.

Perhaps a few complaints to the club and to elior themselves would shake them into action?

When you're a captive audience the level of service doesn't matter.

When the guy in a pub toilet accepts card for a scoot of the aftershave or a mint and yet you can't buy food at the football with a card then that just shows you how far behind the times the catering are.

It does seem like an odd setup, you would think they could surely bring in more business by accepting plastic.

When the guy in a pub toilet accepts card for a scoot of the aftershave or a mint and yet you can't buy food at the football with a card then that just shows you how far behind the times the catering are.
When anyone in a pub toilet pays a guy,by card or cash,for a mint or a scoot of aftershave then it's them that needs their head looked. :p

The problem for the catering contractors is that their key consideration is profit only and they'll likely be paying 40p-60p per £100 to their bank for cash handling whereas card transactions would likely work out as significantly more for them.

It would be nice to see the club take it back with a focus on quality and service or contract it out to the likes of Greggs to run a limited menu.

Kiosks need major upgrade and better staff.

Its a job for a few hours a week, a few times a month. You're not gonna get a highly-skilled, highly-motivated person working the kiosks (No offence to anyone who does it. i imagine it's a lot of students etc looking for a few extra quid, not looking at it as a long-term career!).

I’d imagine wireless connectivity is an issue for card payments, especially if the catering company rely on the likes of iZettle etc. The signal at Ibrox with almost 50k people in the ground is horrific on a few platforms!

It’s certainly a common problem for smaller catering companies that get catering contracts for the Scotland rugby games at Murrayfield.

A one man burger van in an industrial estate can take contactless card payments so can’t see how the caters at Ibrox can’t sort something out. Would also be much quicker than dealing with cash

I didn't even know this was the case. Shows how long it's been since I actually went to the food stalls. They're absolutely shocking.

I legit expect huge improvements in that area when this contract comes to an end.

Even things like a freshly made sandwich ala Greggs would be much better than the complete dross they serve us.

I was at Etihad yesterday and all stalls were card only. Such an easier process than handing over a score and a wee guy saying theres no notra for change and proceeding to slowly count out pound coins.

Greggs wouldn't come in an open an outlet that's only open every other Saturday
Apparently, they wanted to take over caring for the full SPFL in 2013.

GREGGS have held talks with the SPL over plans to seize control of the football pie market.

The Record has learned that senior figures from both organisations, and a number of clubs, have been in secret discussions that could spark a bake-over takeover.

Greggs are interested in striking a deal to sell half-time hot snacks at all games.

The firm have also contacted individual clubs, including Celtic and Rangers, who will play in Division Two next season.

Sources say SPL marketing chief Ross McDonald has held discussions with the bakery firm.

An SPL insider said: “Any overall deal would be difficult because the clubs have individual contracts but Greggs are most interested in the big clubs with high volumes of sales.”

Brian Sarafilovic, managing director of Glasgow-based Pars Foods – suppliers to Celtic, St Mirren and Falkirk – said: “It would be bad news for quite a few small Scottish firms if Greggs was to come in and produce all the pies.

“We’re a relatively small firm and make special, individual pies for each of the clubs we work with.

Our chicken balti pie for Celtic recently won an award.

“I can see why the SPL would be interested in teaming up with Greggs and doing some kind of sponsorship deal.

“They are a big company and their products are fine but I think fans want something else at a match.

“They like the fact they’re buying a locally made pie specific to their club.”

The SPL, Celtic and Rangers were not available for comment last night.

Any deal with Rangers would be tricky because Craig Whyte sold off £2million of future earnings from match-day catering at Ibrox to pay for the leasing of kitchen equipment.

The agreement – involving financing firm Close Brothers and catering firm Azure – was struck soon after his takeover in 2011.

A Greggs spokeswoman said: “Currently we have no plans to supply the Scottish Premier League but are always open to new business opportunities.

“Based on previous customer feedback, we understand that our scotch pies would be well received at football grounds.”

Reading The Caterer I see that Sodexo provide the catering at Hampdump and Windsor Park. Is there a noticeable difference?

They are just as bad, I hope we bring this back in house. How teams in the US do it and much be making a killing out of it.

I m sure Rangers used to have branded van outside the ground, but haven't seen them for a while.

I would like to see them add something for food/drink when they pull down edmonton house.

Elior is the company. Not the best

They are one of the biggest catering companies in Europe though, with income over €5 billion some years. With contracts you would expect to be providing good food, multiple restaurants in the Lourve and many private school contracts. So, it would have made sense to go with them at the time, with what would have looked like a safe option. You would have at least expected a company of that size would have brought in car payments across the entire stadium.

The catering at Murrayfield when Hearts used it was the best in Scotland.

is the contract with the current supplier not up at the end of this season? If so we’ll hopefully get a company offering a better product and one that incorporates a card system along with cash to give people an option.

We're light years behind in this respect...

We were at Stamford Bridge last week where you can pre-order food, beer etc on an app for half-time.

You go down to an express kiosk & served instantly.

I'm not expecting service like that but i don't think paying by card is a lot to ask these days.

I’d love to see us go out to local Glasgow businesses such as Bread meats bread, NY slice etc and get them set up with kiosks.
Can understand would cost a fortune though

I was watching a shirt thing on spurs new stadium and how they want the supporter to have more time in the stadium, rather than just appear ten mins before kick off then leave they want them to be there for a couple of hours and have top notch catering etc and it’s working, more of a fan experience maybe something we could look into obviously not on that scale but it can’t be that hard

part of the problem in my opinion is the size of the concourses. If we had a new modern stadium then we could accommodate more rather than everyone getting in each other’s way.

At least with cash , the Mrs doesn't get to see how much money comes out the bank for my half time piessss....

I’ve had the embarrassment of ordering a pie and bovril before and not having the cash on me to pay for it.

Embarrassing that you can’t pay with card at the kiosk in this day and age.

They are one of the biggest catering companies in Europe though, with income over €5 billion some years. With contracts you would expect to be providing good food, multiple restaurants in the Lourve and many private school contracts. So, it would have made sense to go with them at the time, with what would have looked like a safe option. You would have at least expected a company of that size would have brought in car payments across the entire stadium.
I know elior themselves are massive, but because they bought over azure, they allowed that operation to continue as it was.
The catering contract they have with us is a fairly big Contract in terms of how It’s worth, although not the £35m it was quoted years ago, but it’s almost like a cowboy operation. Order the cheapest stock they can buy in and sell it off at massive profit. And give a horrendous service at the same time, while paying the staff a pittance

the regional director I know makes a right few quid off it.

the biggest problem is, this company has been involved with the catering for a very long time, and they are basically ingrained in the club, and they have rested in their laurels years ago. Trying to get rid of them will be a major issue as they will want to renew the contract, probably on improved terms too.

I remember year ago the old meal deals you used to get, even as far back as 2000 the food was decent and it didn’t cost a fortune plus there was a better selection.
Now it’s all garbage that’s offered

At a lot of the bigger European stadia it is the opposite - card only, either normal bank card or prepaid club card.

Back