Brian Rice - Gambling notice of complaint

That reads like it's heart felt and honest. The irony of being punished for gambling whilst football is awash with gambling advertising will be lost on the authorities I'm sure.

Wish him well, him and the club have reacted in the best possible manner.

Good luck trying to have a career in football when almost every team, stadium and competition is sponsored and plastered with betting sites and ads. Pre kick off and half time, its everywhere.

They did away with cigarettes and booze, so hopefully something gets done here. Think how many kids can name different bookies now. When I was a youngster it seemed far more under wraps.

The authorities need to stop taking money from these companies if they are going to take such a strong stance. When money is so tight though, no-one cares about hypocrisy and unless someone appears from nowhere to sponsor the league, then this is what we are stuck with.

It's so easily accessible for people these days and as has been said already in this thread, it's promoted absolutely everywhere albeit the new regulations coming in soon may change that. It must be a nightmare for people with an addiction.

Fair play to him for being open about it but he has broken the rules and there will be consequences because of that.

The man needs a bit of help a now and I hope he gets it. Seems a decent enough guy to me. Must be really hard on your family if you're a gambling addict.

Seems like a good guy and hope he can get himself sorted as soon as possible.

I hope, like others have said, his ban is a lot shorter than what it normally is due to the fact that he has self confessed.

has admitted he is gambling addict

its a bit rich that managers / players get pulled up for this, yet the governing bodies are happy to take millions from betting firms in sponsorship

unless your betting on games involving your own team then i see no issue at all with it

The problem with allowing some gambling is that they have colleagues etc who may be at the other clubs who could reciprocate favours.
Better a blanket ban with the exception of the pools as we have now then there can be no dubiety.

Very sincere statement from him, hopefully he is able to better manage his addiction moving forward.
Is it just gambling on football that is banned or is it all gambling I.e horse racing, golf etc?

This is not a surprise in any way.

From way back when in his playing days, he was always a gambler.

Wasn't so long ago, he got stuck in Qatar with gambling debts...............I could say more about this as I have heard a bit more about it - but I won't. With regards to how it got resolved.

It IS an addiction that he has. Totally.

I can understand why the football authorities frown on gambling. Ian Black for instance should have been sacked for betting against his own team.

BUT.........

We as a country have our league and cups sponsored by gambling companies. As well as the 2 biggest clubs.

Personally, I would rather it was "managed". For instance, limiting it to one of the sponsors (Ladbrokes?) and putting stringent rules with regards to not betting on Scottish football for example.

I have just read the story about him in Qatar. Got a £65,00 loan from a bank over there and blew the lot on the online roulette. Then got sacked by the club he was employed by. That’s all in the public domain btw, although reading your post you are obviously aware of more details.

Well written statement from the club and the manager there. Hopefully he gets the assistance he needs to overcome what can be a massive financial burden to those around him as well.

Seems like a decent big guy with a horrible illness. I hope for his sake that he manages to beat this once and for all.

Fair play to him for admitting it and writing to the SFA, it should be considered when imposing sanctions, Hope the chap gets well enough to stay clear of it in future.

I will say but, if it was me writing that in depth statement I’d make it abundantly clear that there was no betting involving my teams games/SPFL games. The fact he has omitted that info makes me think maybe he has bet on things he is closely involved with.

I have just read the story about him in Qatar. Got a £65,00 loan from a bank over there and blew the lot on the online roulette. Then got sacked by the club he was employed by. That’s all in the public domain btw, although reading your post you are obviously aware of more details.
Yes. With regards to how it was repaid. (Nothing illegal) and it wasn't all him - someone else used the account.

To take sponsorship from betting firms then hammer your members for using them is unreal. If not betting Hamilton don't see the problem. Used to see the Stranraer team hanging about bookies all the time when younger and kicking about Stranraer town centre.

Reactions: jtc
The Ladbrokes SPFL, the William Hill Scottish Cup, the Betfred Cup.

The hypocrisy is pretty staggering.

I don’t see it as hypocrisy, the adverts are intended for the punter, not those involved.

Betting on football has always been banned. When my old man was a linesman, he wasn’t allowed to do the football pools for that reason, so my mum did the coupon.

The reasons are that football is a small world, so you may have a mate in another team or game that could influence another game for you.

I hope the guy gets the help he needs.

Maybe the governing bodies in Scottish football should think twice about taking gambling companies money before they become all preachy.

A very hard thing to do coming to terms with the problem never mind putting yourself in a position that you could lose your job.

cap doffed to the man and hope being truthful to himself he eventually rids himself of it andget on with his life, I’m sure it cost him his first wife so hopefully he will be ok.

football needs to look at its relationship with gambling companies. can see a total ban soon

It's amazing how compulsive gamblers like Hartson, Griffiths admit their issue but always avoid sfa wrath.

Ian Black, Joey Barton both got hammered for it.

Hartson said he would bet on raindrops in a window but somehow claims he never bet on a football match. F@CK OFF!

Receives notice of complaint for gambling

Statement from Head Coach Brian Rice:

Firstly, I would like to express my regret to the players, coaching staff and my friends and colleagues at Hamilton Academical for the lapse that has prompted me to voluntarily acknowledge breaches of the Scottish Football Association’s gambling rules.”

“This decision was one of the hardest I have had to take but in a way also the easiest. I have made no secret of the fact that I have struggled with the disease that is gambling addiction in the past. The reality is I am an addict and while I have been proud of the fact I have been in recovery from this disease, a key part of the recovery programme is honesty: honesty to myself, and honesty to those who have and who continue to support me, including my family and my football family at Hamilton.”

“I wrote a letter to the Scottish FA self-reporting my gambling and did so as an admission that my disease has returned, in order that I commit to recovery. I have apologised to those at the club in whom I have sought counsel and I apologise today to the players, fans and colleagues I have let down through my gambling addiction.

“I accept that a breach of the rules will come with punishment and I accept that. The reason I am speaking out is to remove the stigma attached to this horrible, isolating disease, in the hope that those involved in Scottish football who are similarly in its grasp feel they can seek help and draw strength from my admission.

“After committing to recovery I cannot believe that I have found myself back in the grip of gambling addiction but this disease is not cured with a finite course of treatment. You are an addict for life and through my commitment to the 12-step recovery programme, I am confident I can stay on top of this disease one day at a time.

“I am eternally grateful to the club for its unwavering support, both seen and unseen. I have spoken to my management team and players and they have been great and they understand the reason for me speaking out today. It is my intention to atone through openness, honesty and togetherness.

“I look forward to a future founded on truth and commitment to recovery and it is my wish that anyone who feels vulnerable, helpless or hopeless in the grip of this silent yet destructive disease can come forward and seek help.”

Fair play to BrianRice, seems like a genuine football guy and always very complimentary of Rangers
That must be a horrible addiction. Hopefully he comes through this and beats his demons.

He comes across as a good guy and he should be commended for coming forward and given the help and support of the SFA.

See unless you are betting for or against your own team then I really don't see what the issue is.

You Are talking about a league who seek sponsorship from the likes of Ladbrokes. Maybe if it is such an issue then bin the betting company sponsorship of the league and cups etc.

Hope he gets it under control.

I enjoy a fiver on a coupon at the weekend but don't have any apps on my phone or online accounts as I feel it could lead right down a dark hole.

Back