Brian Rice - Gambling notice of complaint

A horrible disease. I do matched betting so make profit. I can’t imagine how horrible it would be to continuously lose money

It is rather unfair that it has to be played out in the public domain. But hey, that’s the SFA for you.

I liked Brian Rice before this, and that hasn't changed after reading his statement.

Seems a decent football man who has grafted in the game well.

Good luck to him in his recovery.

When you have cretims like Allan injuring people through driving and wasters like Griffiths its refreshing to hear someone admitting their flaws and seeking help in the right manner.
What's the Scott Allan story

Seems like a decent guy. Will get the rule book thrown at him for this. Considering he’s probably had to keep players in check over the years he should probably know better

Cant find a link that isnt a toilet dwelling newspaper.

Essentially he caused significant injury through poor driving. Damages to the victim going into the millions.

That’s harsh, an alcoholic homeless person, out their face stumbled into the back of his car whilst he was reversing. It was pissing down and a dark night, a rather unfortunate incident.

He is also a wee turncoat gonk.

Be interesting to see his punishment - can guarantee if it was a certain someone else they would get the “oh poor wee soul” treatment etc.

Rice seems like a down to earth proper football guy.

Good luck to the guy. More people should take responsibility for their own actions like this and society would be far better.

Good luck to him. I am so thankful I don’t have an addiction to gambling. Knowing people that do it’s absolutely heartbreaking.

Governing bodies have hardly set a precedent for being supportive and focusing on helping individuals with gambling addictions. Hopefully something will change on that front.

If the SFA were sincere about addressing this sort of addiction, other than by simply imposing punishments (which aren’t deterring players etc) would this not be an appropriate time to introduce some form of an amnesty for self-reporters then engage in support mechanisms? I appreciate that with most addictions the main hurdle is admitting it to yourself but a simple punishment regime clearly isn’t working.

He should have just changed his name to Leigh Griffiths and the SFA would have turned a blind eye.
And that's the difference, its poor Leigh, battling an illness, don't dare criticise him. don't know anything about Rice, but he shouldn't be hung out to dry

Had the pleasure of being in "chipper's" company several times and he's a genuine big guy. Wish him all the best.

Sorry if I offended you Scott. @Zed

How you can reverse into someone while driving a top of the range Audi Q7 fitted with parking sensors and a reverse camera is quite the lack of control of a vehicle surely not?

Maybe you would have been better buying one without a reverse gear at all?

Or are you suggesting the guy was homeless so deserved it?

This is either a call for help or he’s been busted and the story is about to break.

Either way the fact he’s come out surely means the club and authority have to support him instead of punish?

Does seem like quite a decent bloke on interviews.

Sorry if I offended you Scott. @Zed

How you can reverse into someone while driving a top of the range Audi Q7 fitted with parking sensors and a reverse camera is quite the lack of control of a vehicle surely not?

Maybe you would have been better buying one without a reverse gear at all?

Or are you suggesting the guy was homeless so deserved it?

not offended me.

Poor pointsscoring from yourself. If you knew the full facts your opinion would be different, but hey ho.

As a compulsive gambler who’s met thousands of other compulsive gamblers as part of my recovery, you’d be surprised by loads of people. You could walk past me in the street and not know... it impacts so many mate!
Totally agree have been of gambling now for just over 3 years and my god it feels good.

Shouldn't be punished if he came forward and admitted his faults and addiction. Brave man well done to him and wish him the best in his fight
I really wish him all the best but I find the language he uses, "struggling with a disease" a bit worrying for a guy who has been bailed out by people in the past and re-lapsed several times. Maybe it's just me but it makes it sound like he thinks it's outwith his control, you have to take full responsibility to overcome something like this.

Last edited:
Admitting you have a problem and getting a punishment for it, in this instance, is absolutely ridiculous.

Yep. And has already been pointed out, all the while the football authorities that are going to punish him are happy to rake in £millions from sponsorship by betting companies. Bonkers!

Must have been hard for him to admit this. Hope he doesn't get shafted for it, but you never know with the SFA. However they may not want to upset their sponsors :

William Hill is the number one bookmaker in the UK, operating over 300 betting shops in Scotland and a total of 2,364 across the UK and Ireland. The Scottish Cup sponsorship deal reaffirms their strong association with Scottish football and the agreement will also allow the bookmaker to showcase its online, mobile and retail products to Scottish football fans the length and breadth of the country.

Feel for him , couldn’t imagine having such a major gambling problem must be difficult

anyone got a FF tip for any 3rd division European games tonight haha

Horrible thing to get a grip of you.

I wish you all the best Brian (you'll need it in this industry where betting is constantly in your face).

He is not alone - allegedly. Hopefully Brian Rice can be helped to overcome this dreadful addiction.

Back