Brian Rice - Gambling notice of complaint

I take my hat off to him for admitting his addiction knowing everything which he would then have to face. He should get credit for that but will be punished by the football authorities since he broke the gambling rules which are crystal clear - no betting on any football. Decent guy and, like many posters, I hope he gets the support needed to help him overcome his addiction.

I really wish him all the best but I find the language he uses, "struggling with a disease" a bit worrying for a guy who has been bailed out by people in the past and re-lapsed several times. Maybe it's just me but it makes it sound like he thinks it's outwith his control, you have to take full responsibility to overcome something like this.
Its not a disease , its an addiction.
Calling it that is disrespectful to people who have real illnesses.

That’s how I feel. He mentions the word disease repeatedly but I think it’s much harder to overcome an addiction like this if you see yourself as a victim of it, you have to accept responsibility for your actions.

On the news there - a call for a gambling amnesty - funny no calls for this when rangers were on the end of the sanction

Theres plenty of help out there nowadays whether its the drink or gambling.
He s in charge of a football team competing against us on occasions.

He knows the rules.

It’s a mental illness. Completely different to someone suffering from say cancer, but it’s not curable. It’s something you have to live with for life and the best you can ever do is be in recovery. You’ll never recover. There can be a debate over the word disease, but it’s an illness for sure.

A shame that he’s having problems again. Never knew he had gambling issues in the past, but hopefully if he’s beat them once he’ll beat them again.
Wonder what it means for his job security though?

That’s how I feel. He mentions the word disease repeatedly but I think it’s much harder to overcome an addiction like this if you see yourself as a victim of it, you have to accept responsibility for your actions.
Cancer, mnd etc are diseases.
This is self inflicted .
Imagine he was betting against us or them with goals etc.
I couldnt care 2 hoots if he speaks highly of us, tims cannot be trusted.

He’ll not get a ban, he’s come out and said he has a problem no issue here, only when Rangers players Or ex players are involved its an issue front page news asking for severe punishment.

He has owned up and admitted he has an issue. His fine and ban should reflect his honesty and provided he doesn't do it again, leniency would be the best option imo

There should be mitigation in the basis he has come forward and not been caught as such. Unless of course anything more comes to light.

Horrible addiction especially when you can gamble 24 hours a day every day. These online crooked gambling sites should be closed down by the government and bookies limited to less opining hours to maybe help people with this problem. Might not work but must be better than the free for all gambling firms causing heartache to families everywhere. On a side note I see certain people want an amnesty on gambling within scotshit football. Must be someone from the stadium of blight has a problem.

Receives notice of complaint for gambling

Statement from Head Coach Brian Rice:

Firstly, I would like to express my regret to the players, coaching staff and my friends and colleagues at Hamilton Academical for the lapse that has prompted me to voluntarily acknowledge breaches of the Scottish Football Association’s gambling rules.”

“This decision was one of the hardest I have had to take but in a way also the easiest. I have made no secret of the fact that I have struggled with the disease that is gambling addiction in the past. The reality is I am an addict and while I have been proud of the fact I have been in recovery from this disease, a key part of the recovery programme is honesty: honesty to myself, and honesty to those who have and who continue to support me, including my family and my football family at Hamilton.”

“I wrote a letter to the Scottish FA self-reporting my gambling and did so as an admission that my disease has returned, in order that I commit to recovery. I have apologised to those at the club in whom I have sought counsel and I apologise today to the players, fans and colleagues I have let down through my gambling addiction.

“I accept that a breach of the rules will come with punishment and I accept that. The reason I am speaking out is to remove the stigma attached to this horrible, isolating disease, in the hope that those involved in Scottish football who are similarly in its grasp feel they can seek help and draw strength from my admission.

“After committing to recovery I cannot believe that I have found myself back in the grip of gambling addiction but this disease is not cured with a finite course of treatment. You are an addict for life and through my commitment to the 12-step recovery programme, I am confident I can stay on top of this disease one day at a time.

“I am eternally grateful to the club for its unwavering support, both seen and unseen. I have spoken to my management team and players and they have been great and they understand the reason for me speaking out today. It is my intention to atone through openness, honesty and togetherness.

“I look forward to a future founded on truth and commitment to recovery and it is my wish that anyone who feels vulnerable, helpless or hopeless in the grip of this silent yet destructive disease can come forward and seek help.”

Fair play to BrianRice, seems like a genuine football guy and always very complimentary of Rangers
I've always felt he was a genuinely nice guy, it's a shame he's suffering from this addiction.

has admitted he is gambling addict

its a bit rich that managers / players get pulled up for this, yet the governing bodies are happy to take millions from betting firms in sponsorship

unless your betting on games involving your own team then i see no issue at all with it

This x 10000

The Scottish football authorities must be the most hypocritical shower of scum on planet earth

Brian Rice needs a break, not a punishment.

He seems a genuinely decent man, has spoken very well about us in the past and I wish him all the best in his fight against this horrible disease.

A real illness? I’m guessing you’re one of those ill informed types (would have used another term but I don’t want a ban) that also think mental health issues and depression aren’t an illness.

Getting back to the issue in hand... Brian Rice is a thoroughly decent man and should be admired for his honesty and bravery and I’m sure he will take whatever ban is headed his way. That will be the least of his problems.

has admitted he is gambling addict

its a bit rich that managers / players get pulled up for this, yet the governing bodies are happy to take millions from betting firms in sponsorship

unless your betting on games involving your own team then i see no issue at all with it

Totally agree mate!

And that's the difference, its poor Leigh, battling an illness, don't dare criticise him. don't know anything about Rice, but he shouldn't be hung out to dry
If he supports Rangers he will be banned, if he supports Celtic he will be let off. Simple SFA disciplinary process

was watching the news earlier when he was waiting on his presser, after which he was going to announce it. By christ the poor guy looked in pieces.

It would be criminal to punish him , hence why the fucking retards that run our game probably will

Always spoke well of us after games.

Complimented our team, never berated his.

Found it ever so rare in our league.

I wish him all the best.

I like a punt on the horses and go to quite a few meetings. Cheltenham, York and all the Scottish courses. My mates mental lays every favourite. He showed me his 365 plus minus for the year. Wow.

A real illness? I’m guessing you’re one of those ill informed types (would have used another term but I don’t want a ban) that also think mental health issues and depression aren’t an illness.

Getting back to the issue in hand... Brian Rice is a thoroughly decent man and should be admired for his honesty and bravery and I’m sure he will take whatever ban is headed his way. That will be the least of his problems.
Do you know him personally , if not , how do you know he is a thoroughly decent man.

Back