Stadium more than half empty at 84 minutes

It obviously touches a few nerves on here but quite frankly, it needs called out time and time again.

We all appreciate there can be individual cases be made (due to start work / got to be somewhere) but not for the better part of 20k supporters to leave en masse from 75 minutes onwards. Last night seemed worse than previous.

Your there to support and watch our team for NINETY minutes, if you can't do it, give your ticket to someone who can.

Ideally Ibrox would be full until the end of every game. However, it's mid week, some folks have a long journey home and leaving a bit early can make a big difference. Likewise, more folks arrive after the game has started due to other commitments. Personally I thought the atmosphere was flat for most of the game which was a surprise. The opposition game plan didn't help I guess. Perhaps this contributed to more than usual leaving early.
Not half the stadium though

Ibrox has had this problem a long time now , but it’s reached new levels .

It’s like 20,000 punters turn into pumpkins if they remain in their seat beyond 82 minutes . It’s not just Ibrox it happens but that doesn’t make it okay .

Imagine being at the cinema and leaping up with 15 minutes left of each film , never seeing the end .

Weird , weird behaviour .

And all this “ leaving 8 minutes early gets me home an hour quicker “ is just a lie . Admit you were bored at the game and wanted out instead of making up bullshit . And even if it was true , if you are happy to stab the manager in the back by leaving early in a close crucial game and disrespecting the club and players , at least be honest about why you did it .

Disgraceful .

It obviously touches a few nerves on here but quite frankly, it needs called out time and time again.

We all appreciate there can be individual cases be made (due to start work / got to be somewhere) but not for the better part of 20k supporters to leave en masse from 75 minutes onwards. Last night seemed worse than previous.

Your there to support and watch our team for NINETY minutes, if you can't do it, give your ticket to someone who can.
I agree, it does need called out repeatedly. I thought the manager mentioning the crowd at Ibrox several times already this season would maybe embarrass some people into seeing sense but nope.

Gerrard keeps bringing it up so the fans have every right to as well. It's our one main flaw as a support and an absolutely baffling phenomenon every other week.

These upcoming home games are going to be a slog, and I fear the fans are going to play their part in us coming a cropper in one of them.

Correct .

I’ll always stay until the end - regardless of whether it’s a Rangers match or any other.
I think midweek matches bring in a different element for anyone bringing kids though and a match finishing at 9:30pm could mean a 8 or 9 year old getting to bed after 10:30pm and I can see why someone bringing a child of that age would push off earlier.

Ibrox isn’t packed full of 8 or 9 year olds though and the OP makes a valid point about people leaving early during a game that was in the balance at the end.
It’s been a theme since I started going to Ibrox though - generations now who have this desperation to “beat the rush”.

Combined with the non-existent atmosphere, Ibrox once again was a very subdued place last night.

They are making a big thing this morning of Man Utd fans leaving with five minutes to go last night. Have they been to Ibrox??!!

Pro rata we must have the most early leavers in football.

Gerrard must be so frustrated with our home "support".

Is it my imagination but didn’t there used to be traffic police on Govan road waving traffic on at all the lights and allowing cars to filter into traffic as needed?

that road home used to flow, it now takes an age to get out back over towards the squinty bridge.

as for the subway queue it looks bad but it generally isn’t much more than a 15-20 minute wait.

Perhaps the club need to look at all the exit early reasons and try to facilitate a solution.

supporters busses that demand bears back too early needs to be sorted out.

we will need all our supportfor the full 90 mins as the authorities and the media’s combined “stop 55” campaign hots up.

People leave at different times and different games on different days for a myriad of reasons. Work commitments, personal commitments, travelling a significant distance away from Ibrox and if you are with the kids,school. It doesn't make anyone less of a supporter or less staunch. This demand from people to stay the full 90 minutes is pathetic. You pay for your season ticket and you are entitled to leave when you want. What about these folk that rock up 20 mins into the game after the pub? I take it that they are immune from criticism because they stay till the final whistle?

Combined with the non-existent atmosphere, Ibrox once again was a very subdued place last night.

They are making a big thing this morning of Man Utd fans leaving with five minutes to go last night. Have they been to Ibrox??!!

Pro rata we must have the most early leavers in football.

Gerrard must be so frustrated with our home "support".

Gerrard repeatedly having to ask the fans to stay with the team , to back the team , is becoming beyond embarrassing. I don’t care what anyone says , unless you are handicapped or elderly , there can be no excuse for creeping out of our stadium on 80 minutes in a crucial game at 1/0 when the team needed the fans . None .

I walked down to the Louden (Ibrox) full time. As I got there a Supporters bus was going past which goes to prove that every single fan on that bus must have left before full time. Shocking
I guess it depends where the supporters bus was from. Ours travels back to NI so it always leaves sharp so we don’t miss the boat... always risky if it goes into extra time if we don’t make it back to the bus on time it’ll leave without you.

Mid week game maybe a lot of people have reasons to leave early??

A few examples, Ulster fans have boats to catch home, some people may have to start night shifts, some people may have young children and need to leave early to beat the crowd to get home at a decent time. List is endless

We need the train station to open. A bridge that allows people to walk to Partick would also help.

I know I HAVE to leave early on midweek games or else run the risk of not being at the station in time for the last train.

They all seemed petrified by the bus organisers. Why people go on a supporters bus to be told to get away sharp is beyond me .
Sometimes it’s the only option to travel. I travel over from NI. Can’t always afford to fly and the bus/boat is good craic. Will always make it back to the bus for time I’m told as I can’t afford to be stranded in Glasgow forking out for a way back to NI. I totally understand why the bus leaves on time... because the boat won’t wait

Gerrard repeatedly having to ask the fans to stay with the team , to back the team , is becoming beyond embarrassing. I don’t care what anyone says , unless you are handicapped or elderly , there can be no excuse for creeping out of our stadium on 80 minutes in a crucial game at 1/0 when the team needed the fans . None .
Agreed mate.

I've never heard a Rangers manager have to ask for our home support to get behind the team as much as SG. And that is simply because he sees it as being so poor and lacking in genuine support. He's not used to that where he has come from.

We pat ourselves on the back about our attendances etc. But what's the point when 99% are only thee to sit in their arse and do nothing about getting behind the team.

The team needed us to help them get through the game last night in a tricky situation. Once again we were nowhere to be seen and created even more tension with the silence.

Fed up with it. I hope SG really calls it out because it is beyond unacceptable.

Leave early because if i dont I wont get home to after 11 and that's too late when my daughter has school,hate leaving feel terrible but needs must

Sometimes it’s the only option to travel. I travel over from NI. Can’t always afford to fly and the bus/boat is good craic. Will always make it back to the bus for time I’m told as I can’t afford to be stranded in Glasgow forking out for a way back to NI. I totally understand why the bus leaves on time... because the boat won’t wait

Understandable but does the bus leave bang on the fulltime whistle ? If so , get another bus .

Our home support is shit if we’re being honest

Sure we turn up in numbers but we don’t actually support unless we’re 3-0 up at half time

Even then there’s a mass walkout at 75mins.

If only our home support were more like our away support.

Still we’ll have folk claiming all sorts of reasons for the early exit, every single week

They all seemed petrified by the bus organisers. Why people go on a supporters bus to be told to get away sharp is beyond me .

Maybe because they know buses can be on a tight schedule and rushing for a boat or if they are further than a few hours from Glasgow??

I for one could not afford to miss my bus as I would stranded in Glasgow and have to fork out trying to get back to NI

Leave early because if i dont I wont get home to after 11 and that's too late when my daughter has school,hate leaving feel terrible but needs must

Genuine question , what difference does leaving early make? You say 11 pm to get home is too late . How early do you leave to make a dent in that ?

Understandable but does the bus leave hang on the fulltime whistle ? If so , get another bus .

Our bus usually 10 mins after final whistle, gives people from the far end of the ground time to get around to get the bus.

But ours is always very tight, if your not there it goes without you. Wouldn’t make a difference getting another bus for me as all buses from Northern Ireland are the same to make the boats home

People making out like this just a midweek game problem, it happens at every home game. Our support at Ibrox is embarrassment at the best of times, bad days when St Mirren fans are chanting "Walking away it's the Rangers way"

Gerrard has pleaded with the fans all season long to improve the Ibrox atmosphere, he even mentioned moaning and groaning afterwards last night, I get the impression he's scunnered with home games. The atmosphere is just tragic, fans leaving early no matter what.

Christ, wasn't long ago we were playing east Fife etc and our fans leaving 10 mins to go v Porto.

As someone said,
I'm not moaning for moaning sake, I genuinely believe empty stadium affects players

So do I.

Has this ever actually not been the case? Been going on for as long as I can remember
It has. But why are we one of the worst culprits in football?? That cannot be denied.

Loads of other clubs do not have as big a problem as we do. We are particularly bad. Why?

I wait until the game is over and clap the team, usually no matter what as I appreciate that I will not always be at games due to health. That said, it doesn't annoy me if people need to leave early as they may need to get home for personal reasons or child support especially if the kids or grandkids need to get to bed early for school the next day, they may need to get to transport early or could even be starting work straight after the game on a nightshift.

I don't really think its much of an issue and there is nothing that could be done in terms to change people's behaviours, you couldn't keep the turnstiles and shutters closed until the final whistle either. I get that Gerrard would want people to show the players we applaud them even sometimes when they don't deserve it but unless you are sloping off to the pub early just to get a pint before everyone else then there probably is a good enough reason for people to leave early midweek.

Our bus usually 10 mins after final whistle, gives people from the far end of the ground time to get around to get the bus.

But ours is always very tight, if your not there it goes without you. Wouldn’t make a difference getting another bus for me as all buses from Northern Ireland are the same to make the boats home

Its time everyone got together and said allow 15 minutes from the whistle to get on the bus . Without your blue pound they dont Get paid . Sounds like the tail wagging the dog .

Another question , is this ten minute rule applied on old firm games as well , because I dont recall 20,000 people leaving Ibrox early when we beat Celtic Twice at Ibrox . If so a load of people must have missed their bus/boat .

The 25k at the end made the same noise as the 50k.

The players need to raise it and completely disagree with Gerrard's comments about being happy with the win.

You can excuse it against Stranraer in the cup but not in the league
I was happy with the win.Not so much about the performance though.

It’s an absolute embarrassment.

And allows away fans to hit us with “walking away is the Rangers way”.

Another fan bashing thread. People paid £30 and there was little in the way of entertainment. The game was won, St Mirren offered nothing, content with a narrow defeat. They never changed their 10 men behind the ball strategy the entire game. Delighted with the win but it was hard going for the fans.

The exits at Ibrox really don’t help, at least in GR. with no rear exits you can easily be 10 minutes just getting out of your own row at full time, so no wonder people are inclined to get out early.

Understandable but does the bus leave bang on the fulltime whistle ? If so , get another bus .
There isn’t really an option of another bus for us. It’s the supporters club we are members, end of the day I’m not going to hold up the bus or miss my bus... always leave full time and then the 5/10 min walk to the bus but if it goes into extra time it can be a bit risky... I’m in club deck too so not as if I’m right by the exit doors.

In nearly 20 years of having a season ticket, I never once left early because of traffic / roadworks or whatever. If the team are trying to give 100% on the field, then as supporters we should be doing the same and staying to see them off the pitch at the end. Win, lose or draw.

Is it my imagination but didn’t there used to be traffic police on Govan road waving traffic on at all the lights and allowing cars to filter into traffic as needed?

that road home used to flow, it now takes an age to get out back over towards the squinty bridge.

as for the subway queue it looks bad but it generally isn’t much more than a 15-20 minute wait.

Perhaps the club need to look at all the exit early reasons and try to facilitate a solution.

supporters busses that demand bears back too early needs to be sorted out.

we will need all our supportfor the full 90 mins as the authorities and the media’s combined “stop 55” campaign hots up.
Remember I jumped on a bus once last season as was cut short. Was the home qualifier against osijek. "aye leave about 80 mins and head back to the bus" haha aye fuckin watch me. Actually felt let down it was such an easy suggestion during an important game at the time.

The bigger issue is those who do it all the time and when it’s a 3pm or earlier kick off. Not all folk can fall out their bed into work midweek.

If we were 1-0 up against the mentally challengeds last night, we would not have as many early leavers.

Just goes to show that many of the excuses for leaving early are just made up.

I would love SG to really call this out. Him and the players deserve better. At 1-0 the game is never over.

Its time everyone got together and said allow 15 minutes from the whistle to get on the bus . Without your blue pound they dont Get paid . Sounds like the tail wagging the dog .

Another question , is this ten minute rule applied on old firm games as well , because I dont recall 20,000 people leaving Ibrox early when we beat Celtic Twice at Ibrox . If so a load of people must have missed their bus/boat .

Try talking to the ferry companies to holdback the boats. It seems not tail wagging as you put it. In the very odd occasion maybe if its a final or something then the boats will hold maybe 15/20 mins for extra time etc, but that’s in a very rare odd occasion.

Early kick offs aren’t an issue. As we have all afternoon to wait about. It’s the 3pm and midweeks we are on tight schedules.

Not everyone has the pleasure of living close to Ibrox

Another fan bashing thread. People paid £30 and there was little in the way of entertainment. The game was won, St Mirren offered nothing, content with a narrow defeat. They never changed their 10 men behind the ball strategy the entire game. Delighted with the win but it was hard going for the fans.

The exits at Ibrox really don’t help, at least in GR. with no rear exits you can easily be 10 minutes just getting out of your own row at full time, so no wonder people are inclined to get out early.

If you want entertainment then go to the theatre. You support the Rangers through good, bad or indifferent.
Some of the excuses on here are embarrassing.

Back