Stadium more than half empty at 84 minutes

It seems to be a Rangers and Celtic issue.

The piggery also starts emptying with about 10 minutes to go too, irrespective of result or performance.

It doesn't seem to be nearly as much of an issue down south.
The rush to get away in such big numbers is totally out of sync with football fans the world over.

I've been to many big grounds in England which have similar transport set ups, if not worse, yet the numbers leaving early are nowhere near the level we have. They are minimal. They just accept that a delay getting away is just part and parcel of attending football matches. Same in Germany. Leaving early is not even a thing there.

It's a strange phenomenon in Glasgow.

I’m not trying to be confrontational or argumentative here just a genuine question. Do you take initiative and try and generate an atmosphere by starting songs etc?
I have 2 season tickets - BF2 and GF3. Majority of the time I am in BF2, so the BF1 noise generates around us and BF2 is also decent for songs. It is therefore less of a problem in my area. The rest of the ground is largely silent and is hugely frustrating.

People left around the 75 minute mark in every European group game this season. In these games we were winning against every team at that stage. There’s no hope for these people.

I don’t get to many games but when I do I always stay to the end.

But look on the bright side - at games such as Livingston, the stadium was about 89% empty at the beginning :D

Wouldn’t dream of leaving early. Would never take Rangers for granted and miss a second of a match. Maybe it’s because I live so far away that each trip is special. Either way, fucking stay in your seat. There’s obviously cause for a number of people to leave but not half the stadium.

We're in a genuine title race for the first time in many a year.

Every game is vital.

For you to say the players aren't committed is nonsense.

You better accept that teams are going to defend deep in numbers against us at Ibrox and it won't be pretty.

There's been a good few games this season where Liverpool have come up against exactly the same and got through by the skin of their teeth.

Sometimes it's all about the win and not about how you win.

The team were totally committed last night and got the job done.

It wasn't easy on the eye, but it isn't always going to be, between now and the end of the season.

Let's all try and appreciate teams won't roll over and make it easy for us.

Goodwin had them very well drilled and organised last night.

The team weren't totally committed though. They were at the piggery, that was total commitment. Last night was nothing like that, it didn't have to be but it should have been more than we got. It was a weak, pedestrian performance which could have bit us on the arse when the boy got the free header. You mention Liverpool and I know you're not saying we are near them but Klopp would never tolerate the lack of movement and number of back and square passes we saw last night. You can't take a wee holiday now and then, you need to play to your strengths and ours is not what we saw last night. For one thing it just makes it much more difficult to create space.

Would you leave a gig if the band were still playing?

Would you leave a cinema before the end of a film?

People need to get a grip.
I walked out after 30 minutes of watching Oasis @ the SECC.

I walked out after 15 minutes watching Zoolander @ the cinema.

always stay until the final whistle watching the Gers though.

Pretty sure our fans aren’t getting the big wages that theses players are.
Play like last night again and we will end up dropping points
It’s as if no other team’s fans complain when their team plays badly and last night was yet another lacklustred performance, if Gerrard is happy with that we’re in big trouble.
Your attitude is everything that's wrong. What are you expecting from rangers? Hammering every team they play that's not in the top half of the league? If winning games doesn't seem to be enough, then I'd say gerrard does have problems,not with the team, the support.

Following Rangers is more than just entertainment,its a way of life. Comparing rangers to going to a concert or a film is ridiculous. If I go to see a group and it turns out pish, it wont ruin my week ahead. Rangers losing,especially to them, certainly does.

If your going to the football looking for first class entertainment every time, then maybe it's not the place for you.

If you think half the staduim leaving 20 minutes before the final whistle all have genuine reasons then you're beyond deluded imo.

My first match at Ibrox was in 1966. Forgive my memory for being a bit hazy, but I'll take a wild stab in the dark and suggest many left before the game ended that day (Saturday 3pm KO, beat Hibs 2-0).
It's happened forever, every season since (complete with such threads on here every season as long as FF has been on the go) and I guess it will continue to happen long after I'm pushing up the daisies.
If you think whining about it on a message board is going to make a bit of difference then you are the deluded one.
For the record, I live well out of town and make a point of staying till the end of every match, but then our driver has a nice wee set-up that helps him to get us away from the ground and home well before every other bus in our town or district.
So you can scratch me off your list! :D :D

If you think half the staduim leaving 20 minutes before the final whistle all have genuine reasons then you're beyond deluded imo.

Leaving to beat the rush at the pub is still a genuine reason to do it. I would say nobody leaves without a genuine reason. The only debate is how "justified" anyone considers their reason - which is entirely subjective and up to the individual.

We might hate to see it, but folk have the right to leave when they like.

My first match at Ibrox was in 1966. Forgive my memory for being a bit hazy, but I'll take a wild stab in the dark and suggest many left before the game ended that day (Saturday 3pm KO, beat Hibs 2-0).
It's happened forever, every season since (complete with such threads on here every season as long as FF has been on the go) and I guess it will continue to happen long after I'm pushing up the daisies.
If you think whining about it on a message board is going to make a bit of difference then you are the deluded one.
For the record, I live well out of town and make a point of staying till the end of every match, but then our driver has a nice wee set-up that helps him to get us away from the ground and home well before every other bus in our town or district.
So you can scratch me off your list! :D :D

It's safe to say it'll be a habitual thing for many, passed down the generations and just ingrained in their behaviour. For others it will be about relatively minor things like getting to the pub. Others it will be to beat traffic. Others it will be to get to work. Others it will be to beat subway queues. Others it will be that they have medical conditions, mobility issues, etc so need more time to get out before the surge and to get to buses, etc. The list goes on.

At the end of the day, it happens and there's not much likelihood it will change much any time soon. Disappointing, but no point in getting overly worked up about. Every Rangers team in my lifetime - including the successful, title-winning ones have dealt with it.

Let's get one thing straight here. No one is having a dig at supporters that travel from over the water, the fact they get here midweek, is commitment enough. Nor people who leave early for health reasons, also understandable and for shouting abuse at senor cuellars father, that's bang out of order.

The thing is, it happens every game no matter when its played and its thousands who leave. As for questioning the commitment of the players last night, that is absurd and insulting to them.

The full atmosphere last night was one of the dullest I’ve ever heard at Ibrox. I don’t know if it’s the clampdown of certain songs or just people expect us to go out and win 4 or 5 nil against these teams , but at several times in the game you could hear the St Mirren fans over us.

The team weren't totally committed though. They were at the piggery, that was total commitment. Last night was nothing like that, it didn't have to be but it should have been more than we got. It was a weak, pedestrian performance which could have bit us on the arse when the boy got the free header. You mention Liverpool and I know you're not saying we are near them but Klopp would never tolerate the lack of movement and number of back and square passes we saw last night. You can't take a wee holiday now and then, you need to play to your strengths and ours is not what we saw last night. For one thing it just makes it much more difficult to create space.

The piggery was a totally different type of game though mate.

You had 2 teams trying to win and playing open football

Believe me, there's plenty of games involving Liverpool where they will continually recycle the ball back and square, trying to move the opposition around and drag them out of position.

Coaches worldwide have discovered that a well disciplined "low block", or whatever you want to call it, is the most productive way for a vastly inferior team to negate a more fluent, attacking one.

It's shite to watch, but that's modern football for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Believe me, there's plenty of games involving Liverpool where they will continually recycle the ball back and square, trying to move the opposition around did drag them out of position.

Coaches worldwide have discovered that a well disciplined "low block", or whatever you want to call it, is the most productive way for a vastly inferior team to negate a more fluent, attacking one.

The continual use of a low block will eventually see some clubs going 4-4-2 with a big target man and a strike partner.

The transport infrastructure in and around that area is really bad, especially now as they have that monster that is the QEU hospital.
I use a car park on the broomloan road and you can sit there for 30-40 mins while pedestrians cross the road at the round about. Surley they could let 10-20 cars through at a time to prevent the build up of traffic. It would take no less than a few minutes to do this and it would make the whole process quicker

Many leave early, it's something I've grown to accept over the years and sadly it's something I don't see changing as it's become the norm for so many.

I would however like to highlight a positive I seen last night in the closing minutes, giving credit where I feel it's due. As we faced a St Mirren corner in the dying moments, the lad with the megaphone in the Union Bears section actually turned to face the rest of the stadium encouraging them to join the singing and raise the atmosphere - as others were joining the mass exodus.

It's going to be a long title run in and I was personally impressed by his enthusiasm in getting maximum backing from our support for the team.

Believe me, there's plenty of games involving Liverpool where they will continually recycle the ball back and square, trying to move the opposition around did drag them out of position.

Not being rude but I know all that. It's mostly the pace we drop to, MU. We start jogging at best, playing pretendy wee triangles, one-twos and wall-passes that do nothing, go nowhere, move no one and fool nobody. The result is there are no open channels and the box is packed so it's a case of "here, Joe", do something and hoping JD does his stuff.
The other aspect of this is other teams see us being stymied as easily as this and it reinforces their intent to sit in. As I said, if they had been lucky with that header we only had ourselves to blame for dropping points.

The continual use of a low block will eventually see some clubs going 4-4-2 with a big target man and a strike partner.

Tbh Alex, I think if you start launching balls up to a target man, then that will play into the hands of the defensive team.

You need to keep moving the ball around, retaining possession the way we do, but with better quality around their box.

Tav was a huge miss last night.

His link up play with Jack and Aribo creates a lot of danger.

Greg Stewart, when fit, is a player with the craft and intelligence required around the box against deep defences.

He could become a big player in the 2nd half of the season in these games.

10 minutes play after that. Depressing that fans are not committed to stay the distance to help the team see the game out

I know this is a regular post on here. I know there are fans who have no choice, they have to leave. I know these people got off their arses and packed the stadium out. I know there are things/reasons I am missing.

I also know if we were playing an ' important' game tonight. The stadium would be almost full. It I also know that every game we play is important!!!!!. The sooner these fans who choose to leave for no good reason realise they are letting the team down.

Check out Anfield with 5 minutes to go. A team and fans starved of a league win for years like us. Fans committed to support their team in any way they can. Stay and appreciate the players, reward them for the 3 points.
The fans who showed up deserve credit, I dont think the criticism is warranted but a positive message from the club that we need the support of the fans until the end would go some way to addressing this. It’s not something you like to see but the attendance for a midweek game in January was excellent. I appreciate the sentiment of the post but the solution is to encourage not to shame or criticise.

Just dont get it. For the sake of 5-10 minutes just stay and support the team. Guy next to me was off to get a 4 hour bus home and he stayed until the end.

This!!!! The last 10 mins of a game when we have played poorly is surely when the players need our support more than the previous 80 mins. it may be the difference between winning or losing this league. I get the fact that there are a few hundred who cannot stay but 30 k plus leaving before the final whistle must really demoralise the team and it is only a matter of time before this will cost us......and we will be on ranting and raving about not being able to see a game out against, St Mirren, Kilmarnock, Hibs etc.....

Couple of guys left CR5 on 62 minutes last night !!!!
Then more started leaving about 73 minutes.

Tight game as only 1 up and people leaving in their thousands once the clock hits 75 minutes.

Gerrard repeatedly having to ask the fans to stay with the team , to back the team , is becoming beyond embarrassing. I don’t care what anyone says , unless you are handicapped or elderly , there can be no excuse for creeping out of our stadium on 80 minutes in a crucial game at 1/0 when the team needed the fans . None .
I was stuck behind an elderly gent last night coming down the stairs. He was struggling, but he stayed to the end. Not for one second criticising those like him who leave early, but it made me think "good on you" ( now hurry up I need to get home :D )

Thought it was strange to see so many people leaving that early especially when we were only 1-0 up. Left at FT, walked down and the subway queue wasn't even that big.

A total red neck rounded off by getting slagged by fucking St Mirren fans.

How can anyone demand the players give it their all if you can't even sit there for 90 minutes?

It’s the difference of my son getting in a bit earlier for school the next day. Geez peace... there’s always something people need to criticise each other for on here.

Concentrate on yourself and take your eyes off what other people are doing
I doubt that is the case for half the fans in the ground. No one is focusing on you, no need to get so defensive.

The team weren't totally committed though. They were at the piggery, that was total commitment. Last night was nothing like that, it didn't have to be but it should have been more than we got. It was a weak, pedestrian performance which could ha
In the media.

By SG at press conferences.

By our players mentioning that it does not help the situation.

20k+ fans do not need to leave early.
The media that hates us?
Get a grip.

There was no atmosphere again last night.

Was flat as f.uck. No support at all.

The silence just creates unnecessary tension and nervousness.

You'd think we were sitting in a meaningless mid table position instead of being in a genuine title race.

Utterly baffling.

Not an excuse but too many predicting the players to rock up, bang two goals inside 15 minutes and finish the game off.

We knew how St. Mirren would set up, their game plan and time wasting from the 2nd minute.

The players and support need to get each other going. Flat as %^*& last night. Maybe nerves are playing a part as we are in a genuine title challenge but that's no excuse on the supports part.

It happens when the football is entertaining as well as turgid over the years. Supporters were leaving early during 9IAR with some of the best players to have played in Scotland.
Gerrard has made a statement in the past about the atmosphere, nothing much more the club can do.

Not an excuse but too many predicting the players to rock up, bang two goals inside 15 minutes and finish the game off.

We knew how St. Mirren would set up, their game plan and time wasting from the 2nd minute.

The players and support need to get each other going. Flat as %^*& last night. Maybe nerves are playing a part as we are in a genuine title challenge but that's no excuse on the supports part.
The Kilmarnock game in Boxing Day should have given us enough of a boot up the arse.

The support need to give more. It's as simple as that. Trust me, we will notice the difference and if will give the players a much needed boost.

Ask any player and they will tell you how influential fans can be.

We are quick as a support to hightlight the importance of the “12th man” and how it can help drive players to success but we have to then accept that the negative stuff such as leaving early/lack of atmosphere can have an negative impact on the players.

Would like SG to perhaps mention something about it at a Press Conference.

I genuinely believe some people do have to leave early.. Some folks take their young kids to the game and maybe the thought of being stuck in traffic all night when they have school next day might be a reason why they leave early.
Plus some fans maybe on night shift.
There’s probably a section who’s grandparents and parents always left early so it’s just turned into a kinda family tradition and that’s what they always do.??
The bottom line it doesn’t look good but what can you do.??

Back