Physical Striker

tj hooker

We won’t win anything unless we have a physical presence as back up for Morelos..

as good a professional as Defoe is he will never be suited to our style of play and is not an able replacement in that current formation.
Not a knee jerk reaction but give me Lyndon Dykes/ichpueza/Cosgrove (who by the way still aren’t the answer) in a game like today over Defoe.
We are just about to give or already have agreed to pay him circa 20-30 grand a week for 18 months to get thrown about by Scottish centre half’s where he is so ineffective. This could be a terrible signing for our chances going forward because paying someone that amount of money who will never be able to bully centre half’s in this league will be Gerrard’s downfall imho

Painful but we are still shortin squad depth compared to them by a distance

Docherty/Halliday/Flanagan/Barker/Ojo out and someone of quality up front. Imagine that Morelos gets sold in the next 6 days.

I can't believe people are genuinely suggesting singing a player just because he had good games against Helander and Julien on their first experiences with that nightmare of a pitch.

That is a 2015 McCoist signing
If you read the original post then it states they may not be the answer. But in a game like today having watched Dykes cause centre half’s in all SPL teams problems we could do worse than have a player of his ability up front.
It’s easy to say Defoe didn’t get the service. Well that isn’t accurate. Twice he was put through effectively on a 1v1 and he was treading water got sniffed out and barely got a shot away. Dykes as an example wouldn’t have been caught in that position. We obviously all want to spend money like them over the road. 3.5 million on a striker who hasn’t been needed in there last three games. But if we don’t have that money at our disposal then by looking at proven SPL strikers for a fraction of the cost wouldn’t be so bad.

We won’t win anything unless we have a physical presence as back up for Morelos..

as good a professional as Defoe is he will never be suited to our style of play and is not an able replacement in that current formation.
Not a knee jerk reaction but give me Lyndon Dykes/ichpueza/Cosgrove (who by the way still aren’t the answer) in a game like today over Defoe.
We are just about to give or already have agreed to pay him circa 20-30 grand a week for 18 months to get thrown about by Scottish centre half’s where he is so ineffective. This could be a terrible signing for our chances going forward because paying someone that amount of money who will never be able to bully centre half’s in this league will be Gerrard’s downfall imho

Docherty/Halliday/Flanagan/Barker/Ojo out and someone of quality up front. Imagine that Morelos gets sold in the next 6 days.
Our style of play is excuses for Defoe, he is just not the player he once was and we will never win anything with him as our striker unfortunately.

Nobody wants them, so how do we get rid.

Boyce showed today that you don't necessarily need to be a "big" name or a wunderkid to score goals and look good in the Scottish top league.

This game just showed why we DO need a big solid alternative.
On a pitch where our players seemed to abandon any attempts to play along the surface, kicking the ball upfield to Defoe and Kent to try and win was just being hopeful, and nothing more.

I understand the suggestion of somebody "like" Dykes, because if the ball had come to a similar big striker today, not only would he have won it, but it would have stuck long enough to bring others into play.

Sadly, if we don't have such an option in our matchday squad, it's a deficiency that other clubs will take adavantage of.

Defoe needs to play off someone, Dykes would be perfect and gives us an option up top, would get him for 400-600k

This is Scottish football and sometimes those types of players are required.

We also could have being doing with Ross McCrorie in midfield today for the battle, he never lets us down in that respect.

I've never seen Dykes play outside when he's faced us. Basing it on those performances there would be no point in signing him because he would be suspended more than Alfie if he was playing for us.

we need something different as defoe at home will get us goals but today struggled to hold ball up,chances he had got caught be defenders when before think he would got away.

It's clear we have needed a different option and a physical mobile striker even as a 2nd or 3rd option.

Why we persist to lump balls forward to strikers who aren't suited to that style is just baffling.

Been saying up until now we don’t play that way but then watching Defoe up front on his own then we shouldn’t be playing that way either.

We do need a more robust striker for this formation,as good as Defoe is he is just not suited to games like today.

We dropped points in the same fixture the last time with Morelos in the team. No denying his physicality is suited to the game more so than Defoe but that's not why we lost today.

Boyce showed today that you don't necessarily need to be a "big" name or a wunderkid to score goals and look good in the Scottish top league.

This game just showed why we DO need a big solid alternative.
On a pitch where our players seemed to abandon any attempts to play along the surface, kicking the ball upfield to Defoe and Kent to try and win was just being hopeful, and nothing more.

I understand the suggestion of somebody "like" Dykes, because if the ball had come to a similar big striker today, not only would he have won it, but it would have stuck long enough to bring others into play.

Sadly, if we don't have such an option in our matchday squad, it's a deficiency that other clubs will take adavantage of.
Absolutely agree with this. Defoe will never be that player.

We need a big lump like Ikpeazui. Six foot three, 24-years-old, strong, mobile, drags defenders out of position and can hold up the ball. He has the foundations to be a decent striker, and what he doesn't have, can be coached by a good manager.

None of those players are good enough to play for Rangers simple Ickpeazu he is genuinely rotten and has only scored 2 goals all season. None of those players would make the 18 either they would be up in the stand collecting money for nothing.

Reactions: dmg

If our tactics, like today, shelling high balls to Defoe, then aye, I'd put in a big physical striker. At least have a chance of winning the odd high ball.

to win a title you need to take points in games you’re not playing well in. Obvious point. With Alfie on the pitch we can do that. Defoes only an asset if we play well. The amount of goals we concede - not from good football but from a big physical presence up top - should be a lesson. It’s not in how to defend it; it’s to sometime replicate winning ugly.

Who is going to come to us when they know they'll only play when Morelos is unavailable and Defoe is injured or being subbed off in a game?
I don’t get this argument at all.
Players all have big egos. Not one of them would be signing thinking ‘oh I’m going there, but I won’t play’. They’ll be thinking the can come in, show what they’ve got, and stay on the team.
Besides, with the number of matches we have in a season we could rotate 3 players (who were good) over 1 position and a sub very easily.

I would prefer us at this point to make a loan signing. Unless we have a big target and need to get him then we are just filling in the gaps to keep us moving forward.
If we are keeping the budget tight then this isn't the time to get value for money. I think we can secure a better signing by going the loan route too.

Who is going to come to us when they know they'll only play when Morelos is unavailable and Defoe is injured or being subbed off in a game?
They'll come with the knowledge that they could easily be first pick for the role next season with the likelihood of Morelos being away and Defoe only being a bit-part player.

Should be pretty tempting to any ambitious player, especially with Europe virtually guaranteed.

Not saying I disagree that we could be doing with a more physical type for up front however the names on here being associated with our club are fkn embarrassing. cosgrove/dykes et al are never going to cut it at Rangers which is why thankfully Gerrard has zero interest in them.

Defoe up front alone hasn’t worked on several occasions now. Bizarre that we persist with it. Especially when the Christmas Tree formation seemed to suit us with Defoe up front. Strange we didn’t try something similar yesterday.

I'd rather see Katic up front (alongside a striker - Edmundson at CB) than spending money on a "maybe" big striker. That is consistent with "we have to try different approaches to break oppositions down".

Is Louis Moult getting a look in at Preston, he could do as another striker option?

Defoe is alright for coming on when we re in front and games a bit more open n he can put the game to bed. we defo need someone that’s got a bit of Alfredo about him for when Alfredo isn’t playing. Who ever it maybe needs be good enough to start when suspensions hit Alfredo. Defoe that’s 3 games in a row he just can’t get involved and saw a few times yesterday he got put through and the pace wasn’t there to get away from defender and he gets his tackle in. He’s a perfect sub tho if we re drawing or winning games a bit more open whether it be both teams trying to win the game or trying to put game to bed he be ideal.

Wither he's"physical" or not, we really need to bring another striker in. To play 60 odd game seasons in a season with only two strikers in the squads is poor. To not have a genuine striking option on the bench, when one is missing is asking for trouble.

Wither he's"physical" or not, we really need to bring another striker in. To play 60 odd game seasons in a season with only two strikers in the squads is poor. To not have a genuine striking option on the bench, when one is missing is asking for trouble.
This is the key point. We need another striker - I guess that was Lafferty and we let him go. Disappointing we don't have a youth striker that can come in. We can't rely on just Defoe when Alfredo is out.

If Defoe plays he needs a partner to win ball the free players in kent and aribo either drop too deep or wide and there is no link up.

I agree with the sentiment of the OP, we do need a 3rd option, and a more physical one.
Defoe is a very useful asset as his goal return shows, just not in a game like today.

That said, we surrendered the midfield too often to even think of linking the play to his feet bar 2 rare glimpses.

Back