Jones & Barker replacement

Delighted to see Barker shifted, not even going to pretend. Guy is utter guff. Jones - meh, expected more but I don't think he'll blame anyone but himself for that moment of madness in the first OF. Gerrard clearly made up his mind on him then.

Surely a blockbuster signing can be expected this window if we're going out of our way to clear yet more players out in these few weeks - that'll be 5 or 6 moved on in this window if these two go?

Jones and Stewart have fleetingly contributed but have not had what you could call a fair run in the team.

Barker and Ojo are contributing absolutely nothing and need to go.
I'm absolutely convinced Greg Stewart has a secret Everton tattoo or something and that's why Gerrard doesn't fancy him I really don't understand why he hasn't featured more than what he has done. Wild to me that in the last old firm we had Barker on the bench but Stewart was left out the squad entirely

I’m convinced we only got barker because we didn’t think we would get kent.
I’m surprised we letting Jones go (if stories are true) thought he would do a job when teams went behind and had to come out

Glad to see we're moving players on. Our first 11/12 are more than a match for them - but there's no denying they have a stronger 17. The face that we've managed the first part is evidence of great progress but we really needed to swop 6 poor squad players for 2 capable of playing most weeks and giving the core guys a boost / competition. It looks like we're doing the first part. It'll be challenging to bring in the right guys but its more than doable. My order would be a wide forward, attacking mid and a striker. I would love for the striker to be a long term target to bed in for new season but not sure if finances exist for that. No doubt we need at least 2 in - if all these players are going out.

Do they though?

I agree we need to add at least one player, but where is their superior strength in depth?

Not in the keeper position.

Full back wise, well certainly Tav and Borna are miles ahead of any cover we have, but they're also miles ahead of the mentally challenged's best options.

They don't really have a decent full back.

Our central defence depth and quality is stronger than their's.

Our strongest midfield is far superior to their's, as we saw at Hampden and Parkhead, but we really only have 4 top midfielders.

Aribo makes it 5, at a push.

They've got Brown, McGregor, Ntcham, Christie and then Rogic and Biton at a push, but that's the lot really.
The new signing is totally unproven and unheard of.

Striker wise, they've got Edoaurd.
They're trying to get Griffiths back and started him on Saturday, but he was absolutely murder apparently and they had to bring Edouard on to seal a game that they were struggling in.

We know nothing about the Pole.

We've got Morelos and remember Defoe is our back up, not our first choice.

In the forward positions, they have Forrest, Johnston and Elyanoussi, who all flopped against us in both recent games.

We've got Kent, Aribo, Stewart and Ojo.

We're at least equal to them in those positions.

The mentally challengeds had to include 2 untried youths to make up their bench on Saturday.

I don't see where people see this superior strength in depth they have.

We’d do well getting Barker off the wage bill. Saying that, it all seems rather desperate this late in the window, hope we have a plan.

Wont be to disappointed to see them go. If you can’t get on in front of Ojo then clearly not the standard required.

I wish he’d do the same with Ojo and Flanagan

When Jones first got injured, 99% of people on here where annoyed at what he had done, mainly because they seen him as a loss. Look back at thread. Jones had been beginning to make an impact and looked like he would play his part going forward. Gerrards attitude and tone towards him ever since that incident has been off and it has reset the narrative amongst our support. So much so that Jones is presented as being on a par with Barker, in terms of performances. Which is garbage. So much so that he is written off after his first major game back against Stranaer. Gerrard reaction to what Jones did, was not in keeping with how he has treated more consistent offenders. The Gaffer has used it to blackball Jones. If only he and our board where as ruthless in dealing with Clancy and the fall out after that game.

Greg Stewart is a mystery, he has looked far better than ojo or barker any time he's been given the chance.

I think the way we set up formation wise we need/expect our wide players to getg about the park/close space down/track back and as decent as stewart is with the ball at his feet these attributes are not part of his game.

He is also injured.

Ps I say these things not to be critical of stewart as I think he is a decent player and could contribute especially from the bench/at Ibrox/easier games.

I'm hopeful a decent signing has been lined up and the exits we are seeing are to help fund wages on new incoming.

Barker reportedly earning £10,000 a week?

If that’s true it would be a minor miracle if any other club bought him outright.

How on earth did anyone sanction a crazy wage like that for a player who is SPFL championship level at best?

Jordan Jones and Brandon Barker aren’t the difference between us winning and losing this title. Both have barely featured yet your acting like we are selling two crucial players.

Window also has a few days to run yet if I’m not mistaken.

Absolutely spot on! However, potential replacements MIGHT be the difference.

Maybe Kai Kennedy is close to pushing these guys out of the way.

How bad was his injury for the development squad? Rumours he was in a moon boot after the game.

Let's all remember that Keith Jackson writes made up shite especially about Rangers as he does not have any sources in the club anymore.

Why? If they go it's because Gerrard feels neither is good to start, nor come on and change a game. So what good are they here to make up the numbers?
Exactly. It's also sending a message to every player that if they can't meet his standards, they won't be at the club. The same applies to Ojo, I'd have thought.

Barker reportedly earning £10,000 a week?

If that’s true it would be a minor miracle if any other club bought him outright.

How on earth did anyone sanction a crazy wage like that for a player who is SPFL championship level at best?
He's unproven anywhere. It was madness and for 3 years!

Surprised that Jones is being let go so early. I think he showed some ability before he injured himself. Barker has not offered anything.

Maybe Kai Kennedy is close to pushing these guys out of the way.

How bad was his injury for the development squad? Rumours he was in a moon boot after the game.

I think with an eye on next season we could see Kennedy and McPake take up the space in the squad that the likes of Barker, Ojo and maybe Jones occupy just now.

I would love, and I've said this for nigh on 30 years now, that we focus on making the first XI stronger each time and don't bother signing "experienced pros" for back up when they're not good enough anyway.

I'm not meaning people like, say Arfield who form part of a core 14 or 15 players for the first team.

People like Gary Bollan, Ian Murray and Brandon Barker.

If they're not going to be good enough to play 20+ games a season they should not be keeping a promising youngster out of a squad of 25.

The amount of money spunked up the wall on players bought "just in case" we might need them would make you greet.

As we're rebuilding, you can make allowances for the likes of Barker (given he was a free and we'll likely get some sort of nominal fee for him) but the more close we get to being on a steady footing (both in terms of first team squad and what the academy is producing), the less that sort of signing should be made ahead of just using a boy in those games for 5-10 times a season.

Too often we've dropped points when the first choice aren't available and we're using the "but this player has experience" line when he's still not good enough. We'd be better served, if we're going to drop the points anyway (and it seems to be the case it happens more often than not throughout the years) saving on the higher wage and putting the boy in the team to get some experience.

Exactly. It's also sending a message to every player that if they can't meet his standards, they won't be at the club. The same applies to Ojo, I'd have thought.
I agree with you.
But I think rightly or wrongly Gerrard is going to try keep Liverpool sweet so we get another player or 2 next season.

I would have rather kept Murphy if they were both going

I think we have to accept Murphy is more or less done.

He suffered a serious ACL injury in his thirties. Few players ever fully recover from those, especially at that age.

The Jones and Barker decision could be a reaction to the opportunities afforded them against Stranraer.

Gerrard gave them a chance and they failed to take it.

If he's really that ruthless, I completely welcome it.

Why are folk surprised about Jones? we are well into the season and all he has contributed is one performance in Europe and a red card against the tims which seen him injure himself after a ridiculous tackle.

Hastie will be getting recalled because he is not getting enough game time.

I'd like to think shipping out barker and Jones will allow us to bring in someone better in who can contribute.

Why are folk surprised about Jones? we are well into the season and all he has contributed is one performance in Europe and a red card against the tims which seen him injure himself after a ridiculous tackle.

Hastie will be getting recalled because he is not getting enough game time.

I'd like to think shipping out barker and Jones will allow us to bring in someone better in who can contribute.

It’s probably more disappointment than anything else mate / it is with me anyway

He suffered a serious ACL injury in his thirties. Few players ever fully recover from those, especially at that age.

The Jones and Barker decision could be a reaction to the opportunities afforded them against Stranraer.

and ojo should be punted too if that's the case, did you see that chance he had in the second half I've seen a 95 year old Sunday driver move quicker !!

If hes really that ruthless explain Ojo. Jones first game back after injury. Extremely harsh and comes across as a selective ruthlessness, rather than a balanced one.

Who ever sanctioned the Barker deal on 10K a week should never get a job in football again. He should have been a low cost signing at no risk due to minimal fee and wages. 10K a week is horrendous stuff if true.? No1 in Britain will pay him that, again another pay off or a loan to some SPL dross and we pay 90% of the wage. Horrific

and ojo should be punted too if that's the case, did you see that chance he had in the second half I've seen a 95 year old Sunday driver move quicker !!

I don't disagree, but I suspect we have an agreement with Liverpool that Gerrard intends to honour.

It's clearly not working out for us, but he's offered more over the course of the season than either Barker or Jones.

If hes really that ruthless explain Ojo. Jones first game back after injury. Extremely harsh and comes across as a selective ruthlessness, rather than a balanced one.

As said above, as much as Ojo has become the whipping boy for the support, he's actually produced more over the course of the season than either Barker or Jones.

I don't disagree that he's not really working out for us, but at the same time I don't quite get the clamour to keep Jones.

He had a couple of decent games earlier in the season, but was hardly a stand out. I'd argue Ojo has actually brought more.

We're also maybe not seeing the full picture where Jones hasn't impressed Gerrard, either with his application in training which we know the manager puts great emphasis on, or his general attitude.

It could also be that there's an actual bid on the table for him that allows us to turn a profit.

It's all just guesswork at this point.

I think the way we set up formation wise we need/expect our wide players to getg about the park/close space down/track back and as decent as stewart is with the ball at his feet these attributes are not part of his game.

He is also injured.

Ps I say these things not to be critical of stewart as I think he is a decent player and could contribute especially from the bench/at Ibrox/easier games.

I think that Stewart is a very useful player to have when we are swarming the opposition box or are already a couple of goals up. He plays well in tight spaces and is intelligent about using space and opening it up for others. I’m disappointed that he hasn’t featured more against the dross.

However he does have severe lack of pace and his dribbling ability is more about working around tight spaces than beating folk while on the run. His tackling isn’t the best and, though I think he is a hard worker, the pace issue prevents him getting back to contribute much defensively. As such, he really isn’t well suited to any games against teams who are able to press us and can be a gamble against teams capable of hitting on the break.

He’s unlikely to ever be first choice for those reasons but I really think he should be getting a lot more game time off the bench.

Back