Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 3-3 Aberdeen - League (Skol) Cup Final, 25th October 1987. Happy Bears watch Gers win the cup on penalties in a game which is still the best cup final I've ever attended:

3HLMZcm.jpg

Rangers 1-1 Celtic - Scottish Cup Final replay, 17th April 1909. For the second week in a row the two teams are tied and no one knows the rules. Is there extra-time or another replay? SFA incompetence is nothing new but the rules at the time stipulated extra-time would only be played at the end of a 2nd replay. When the fans saw the two teams eventually start to leave the field they became incensed and, for the only time in history, united as one to vent their fury on the authorities, rioting and setting fire to the entrances (and cutting the firemen's hoses as they tried to put the fires out!). The cup was withheld after an enquiry:

vGss7Zf.jpg

Rangers 1-1 Celtic - Scottish Cup Final replay, 17th April 1909. For the second week in a row the two teams are tied and no one knows the rules. Is there extra-time or another replay? SFA incompetence is nothing new but the rules at the time stipulated extra-time would only be played at the end of a 2nd replay. When the fans saw the two teams eventually start to leave the field they became incensed and, for the only time in history, united as one to vent their fury on the authorities, rioting and setting fire to the entrances (and cutting the firemen's hoses as they tried to put the fires out!). The cup was withheld after an enquiry:

vGss7Zf.jpg
I'm sure I read that this was where both Clubs were given the Old Firm tag.

Apologies if this is incorrect.

Reactions: ao2
has anyone got the photo of gazza making a mongo face with a big mongo partick thistle player (i think)behind him.
have not seen the photo for years as i dont know how to search for it

I don't know how to post photos on here, my apologies, but theres a cracking pic from the 1979 League Cup Semi Final (we beat the scum 3-2 aet) of Alex McDonald in a boxing pose up against Aitken.
That was a great night.

A spot of bother in the crowd at a Rangers v Celtic match at Ibrox sees the police intervene, 1949:

3j2nUWM.jpg
I remember getting told that waving a white hankie in a crowd was the signal that someone in the crowd was injured. The calm, big polis with the helmet and the satisfied look has probably decked some ned with his truncheon whilst his younger colleague is in a state of panic.

I remember getting told that waving a white hankie in a crowd was the signal that someone in the crowd was injured. The calm, big polis with the helmet and the satisfied look has probably decked some ned with his truncheon whilst his younger colleague is in a state of panic.

Possibly the New Year game in 1949, we beat them 4-0.
Jimmy Duncanson scored a hat trick, the first league treble against them of the 20th century.

Possibly the New Year game in 1949, we beat them 4-0.
Jimmy Duncanson scored a hat trick, the first league treble against them of the 20th century.

I think the photos I posted from 1949 are from later in the year mate. They're dated October 1949 but as we didn't play them at all that month I think they're probably from the game on 24th September, when we thumped them 4-0 in the league, as opposed to the 2-0 win in the League Cup on August 27th (going by the way people are dressed - though given this is Scotland there could have been blizzards in August :))).

Plus there's that photo of the police officer with the poster behind him telling of restrictions on flags. I'm pretty sure those went up following the infamous "bottle party" in the League Cup game when, following the Cox-Tully incident, there was widespread fighting in the scum end and hundreds of bottles rained down on those at the front of the terracing and the pitch. The following league match at Ibrox in September those posters went up and they boycotted the game in large numbers.

Last edited:
i can look at these pictures all night
the only thread i start at page 1 and work my way through
on several occasions

Reactions: ao2
Back