Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Motherwell 0-3 Rangers - 27th November 1965. This game would likely not go ahead today but they were made of sturdier stuff back in the day :)):

LipP2yO.jpg

Rangers 2-1 Celtic - 18th September 1965. Jim Forrest opens the scoring at Ibrox:

8PpOMq7.jpg
Awww fantastic pics! Can still feel the excitement even now as the ball hit the back of the net

Rangers 2-1 Celtic - 7th September 1963. Ralph Brand slots in a 65th minute winner at Ibrox as Gers come from a goal behind at half-time to beat them for the 3rd time in less than a month. We would win all 5 games against them in 1963/64:

uHBlUMx.jpg

Colin Stein. This photo was possibly taken before the start of his debut at Gayfield when Rangers beat Arbroath 5-1 on 2nd November 1968, Stein scoring a hat-trick in under 5 second half minutes - and he scored another 5 in his next two games!:

WIfqgj1.jpg

Thats an iconic picture of Colin Stein on his debut. He scored a hat trick and wee Bud got the other 2 that day.

Celtic 2-4 Rangers - 14th September 1968. Willie Johnston creates havoc in the scum penalty box. They cleared this one but he scored 2 that day and in fact got no less than 8 goals at the piggery in 3 matches in 1968/69:

Zd0Sr2d.jpg

Brilliant! Was just thinking of this game earlier on another thread asking what was favourite victory at Parkhead and this sprung to mind amongst others notably winning the league there.

I was only 7 years old at the time hahaha Probably concentrating too much on Davie Wilson. I think Jimmy Millar had a brother who also played for Dundee Utd that day.

Mate, the game was 56 years ago so I'm amazed you can remember what you do about it, and you weren't far off on the scoring! I can barely remember games from last month (though oddly I remember matches from the 70s, 80s and 90s much better!)! Jimmy Millar's brother was indeed playing for United that day, a fact I'd forgotten :)

Rapid Vienna 0-2 Rangers - European Cup, 8th December 1964. Jim Baxter with the Rapid skipper before the game, one of Gers best ever away performances in Europe. Sadly, after a magnificent match, Baxter broke his leg in the final seconds and was rarely as consistently brilliant when he returned:

I7p5POv.jpg

The night Celtic started their 9 in a row.
No chance that happened when Baxter was at his peak and in Royal Blue

Reactions: ao2
The night Celtic started their 9 in a row.
No chance that happened when Baxter was at his peak and in Royal Blue

I remember glancing through a book by Bobby Lennox in the library one day and he described the moment the scum players heard Sunderland had signed Baxter in May 1965. They were on a plane on the way back from some overseas game and one of the press pack told them he'd signed. Lennox said they were cheering and back slapping each other, such was the jinx Baxter was to them back then. When you think they only won the following season's league by 2 points it does make you wonder, and all for a pay rise of a few quid that Rangers were unwilling to pay :(

I remember glancing through a book by Bobby Lennox in the library one day and he described the moment the scum players heard Sunderland had signed Baxter in May 1965. They were on a plane on the way back from some overseas game and one of the press pack told them he'd signed. Lennox said they were cheering and back slapping each other, such was the jinx Baxter was to them back then. When you think they only won the following season's league by 2 points it does make you wonder, and all for a pay rise of a few quid that Rangers were unwilling to pay :(

Rangers selling Baxter was the single biggest turning point in Scottish football history.

Rangers 2-1 Celtic - Skol (League) Cup Final, 26th October 1986. Davie Cooper celebrates slotting the late winner from the spot:

VLQOQjI.jpg
Davie Cooper was fouled throughout that game. Thankfully he kept going and was there to score from the penalty. To show nothing really changes, Celtic’s behaviour that day was disgraceful and they rightly finished up as losers.

Celtic 2-4 Rangers - 14th September 1968. Willie Johnston creates havoc in the scum penalty box. They cleared this one but he scored 2 that day and in fact got no less than 8 goals at the piggery in 3 matches in 1968/69:

Zd0Sr2d.jpg

My dad and uncle were at this game I think.

Is this the first game after the Rangers end was covered?

If it is, then they said Rangers support nearly lifted the roof off it with the noise they made, as the previous years Lisbon Lions were firmly put in their place.

Wasn't the only time Davie White's team did this either.

If only they'd had more consistency against the lesser teams.

My dad and uncle were at this game I think.

Is this the first game after the Rangers end was covered?

If it is, then they said Rangers support nearly lifted the roof off it with the noise they made, as the previous years Lisbon Lions were firmly put in their place.

Wasn't the only time Davie White's team did this either.

If only they'd had more consistency against the lesser teams.

We'd lost a League Cup game 1-0 on 24th August mate, so this was the second game after the cover went up. Davie White's teams played some great football and in any other era would have won lots.

Back