The majority of these players cannot be allowed to continue into next season.

Carlisle Bear

They have sleptwalked into a 10 point deficit in a matter of weeks, are totally incapable of dealing with difficult moments in games and appear lifeless when a reaction to adversity is required and expected.

You can argue the toss about Gerrard, there will be rumblings but there's no chance he's going anywhere given near enough the whole football department has been appointed to suit him.

We have a lot of very good footballers in our squad but there are huge mental scars/question marks with some of them. James Tavernier is someone I have gone to bat for on god knows how many occasions and playing in a Rangers team from different eras is someone I'm sure would have won many titles but even I now find myself wondering if the guy can ever recover from what he's endured in the last 5/6 years. He is merely an example.

I could easily see us in a similar position next winter break because we have some very good players but being honest how many would you really trust in the same situation we found ourselves in post 29th December?

The choice is whether you trust them to have learned from 2 post winter break title race capitulations or whether you roll the dice and bring in new recruits that can handle the situation a bit better.

Either way, the sheer lifelessness and lethargy about recent performances when there is so much at stake has to be factored in when we're planning for next season.

It’s highlighting the reliance on a goal scoring machine up front and the inability of supporting players to chip in with goals when needed.

Although I would suggest the formation we persist with plays a part in that.
I'm not sure formation really matters that much when the players have approached the post-winter break games like testimonials.

We lack leaders and proven winners within our squad and the bottlers and cowards will have to be moved on but we can't sustain another major overhaul i reckon 5 or 6 players will be needed in the summer especially with many of fringe players out of contract.

We have time on our hands but it's widely there to see in my eyes that already the summer will be probably the biggest and most important in our history and we need to start preparing now.

%^*& it up and well we know what's on the cards.

Last edited:
Shut up

look at Barasic at the start of the season and Tav after the Young Boys game.

majority of the players are 23 years old. Ideally we’d be signing established players but we don’t have the money to do that at the moment.

we’re building for the future and that requires patience

Quite a number should be playing for their futures imho.
It's why games like today have more questions than answers.

Scraping a 1-0 is fine when you're in a a title race but the league is gone now. We need performances so we know who is coming with us next season - I saw practically nothing from any of them today that would make me want them in a title race next year.

They have sleptwalked into a 10 point deficit in a matter of weeks, are totally incapable of dealing with difficult moments in games and appear lifeless when a reaction to adversity is required and expected.

You can argue the toss about Gerrard, there will be rumblings but there's no chance he's going anywhere given near enough the whole football department has been appointed to suit him.

We have a lot of very good footballers in our squad but there are huge mental scars/question marks with some of them. James Tavernier is someone I have gone to bat for on god knows how many occasions and playing in a Rangers team from different eras is someone I'm sure would have won many titles but even I now find myself wondering if the guy can ever recover from what he's endured in the last 5/6 years. He is merely an example.

I could easily see us in a similar position next winter break because we have some very good players but being honest how many would you really trust in the same situation we found ourselves in post 29th December?

The choice is whether you trust them to have learned from 2 post winter break title race capitulations or whether you roll the dice and bring in new recruits that can handle the situation a bit better.

Either way, the sheer lifelessness and lethargy about recent performances when there is so much at stake has to be factored in when we're planning for next season.

Oh do shut up! You think we are going to bin half the squad and spend another £10m replacing them?

‘You can argue the toss about Gerrard, there will be rumblings but there's no chance he's going anywhere given near enough the whole football department has been appointed to suit him.’

This suggests you’d like rid of the manager too?

I could say something rather hostile but I wil refrain for fear of banning.

It’s not the players imo

The managers obsession with trying to control the game is stifling the players. We look slow and predictable and the formation and personnel aren’t clicking.

Sometimes we just need to be more direct and give up some of the pointless possession

Shut up

majority of the players are 23 years old. Ideally we’d be signing established players but we don’t have the money to do that at the moment.

Majority? McGregor 38 Tav 26 Goldson 26 Barisic 27 Jack 27 Davis 35 Arfield 31 I would say that’s the majority of the starting 11 who should have more than enough experience by now, we don’t have time to build for the future. It’s all or nothing next season by the looks of it. We need a few reinforcements in the summer.

It's why games like today have more questions than answers.

Scraping a 1-0 is fine when you're in a a title race but the league is gone now. We need performances so we know who is coming with us next season - I saw practically nothing from any of them today that would make me want them in a title race next year.
There are a number of regulars who I would gladly see the back of.

We lack leaders and proven winners within our squad and the bottlers and cowards will have to be moved on.

I agree.
Unfortunately bheast FC has a team of players who know what it takes to win this League.
Apart from McGregor and Davis, who won the League with us nine years ago, we don’t have any ‘winners’ in our team - and apart from Greegs we don’t have any other leaders in our team!
We do have some really good young players in our team, but we don’t have any Gough’s or Greig’s or players of that ilk to play alongside them.
Maybe just down to money!!

When it really matters this team just haven’t got it I suppose if you take a step back we have made good Progress under Gerrard and have been improved year on year but he needs to start weeding out the mentally weak and losers imo.

Take the money for Alfie if it’s there in the summer sell Tav and build a midfield that can win titles because I think it’s this area that’s hurting us the most.

Oh do shut up! You think we are going to bin half the squad and spend another £10m replacing them?

‘You can argue the toss about Gerrard, there will be rumblings but there's no chance he's going anywhere given near enough the whole football department has been appointed to suit him.’

This suggests you’d like rid of the manager too?

I could say something rather hostile but I wil refrain for fear of banning.
I think Gerrard has it all to prove which I'm sure the man himself would admit.

How many of the current squad do you have absolute confidence in to get the job done if we're in a similar situation next January?

Its unfortunate that sometimes you need to provide examples in threads like this - I'm saying that because I think Tav has been a cracking servant to the club and I've got a lot of time for him. However, I do share the thought that the OP mentioned that perhaps the number of failures he's had to endure as a Rangers captain means he doesn't quite have that extra 10% we need from him (and others - Goldson, for example?), as leaders and winners. It might be the case that the lad has given all he can for us in a Rangers shirt. I'm saying this with regard to his role as captain and and leader, not with regard to him being a right back, where I think he's comfortably the stand out in the league (despite dips in form at times).

Where’s the money coming from to replace the majority ?

The way they are playing means that the players values are dropping every week. If this run of form keps up, then we will be lucky to get 10 million for Alfie, 8 for Borna and 3 for anyone else. This will have a huge impact next season and perhaps it's time that some players realized that fact and that they could end up at Tranmere or Bolton if they keep this up.

Majority? McGregor 38 Tav 26 Goldson 26 Barisic 27 Jack 27 Davis 35 Arfield 31 I would say that’s the majority of the starting 11 who should have more than enough experience by now, we don’t have time to build for the future. It’s all or nothing next season by the looks of it. We need a few reinforcements in the summer.

The ones coming in for criticism e.g Kent, Aribo are the young ones. Both have incredible talent and ability to be great but it will take time to achieve that consistency.

I agree we could use more reinforcements and if someone’s willing to spend 100 million on Ronaldo go ahead. But with our budget I think we’dbe getting more of the same getting rid of the players we have

The same squad/team outplayed Celtic twice before the winter break . A good win at Parkhead and what should have been a league cup win by a few goals .
They cant have became sh1te footballers in 6 weeks. Has the heavy December schedule drained them, was the Dubai trip the wrong thing, over confidence a thing. Bad refereeing has definetley not helped.
I think a few will go and hopefully a few brought in to strengthen the squad especially an Attacking Centre Mid and another Forward.

Its unfortunate that sometimes you need to provide examples in threads like this - I'm saying that because I think Tav has been a cracking servant to the club and I've got a lot of time for him. However, I do share the thought that the OP mentioned that perhaps the number of failures he's had to endure as a Rangers captain means he doesn't quite have that extra 10% we need from him (and others - Goldson, for example?), as leaders and winners. It might be the case that the lad has given all he can for us in a Rangers shirt. I'm saying this with regard to his role as captain and and leader, not with regard to him being a right back, where I think he's comfortably the stand out in the league (despite dips in form at times).
Tav is walking into an EPL side based on ability.

I just think he's had too many cracks at it with us and believe me I've spent hours defending him and stating his importance to us.

Shut up

Exactly this. We can't just keep turning over a whole squad. You have to build one.

We have more points at this point in the season than the last title winning squad under Walter FFS.

Correct

The days of signing 10+ players are long gone now as are the days of spending around £10m in the summer. It's likely we'll have a budget or around £3-5m next summer if no big sales are made. Dave King pretty much said that we would have to starting living within our means from this point forward.

Every signing now from this point forward needs to hit the ground running and we might only see about 4 or 5 tops this summer, far too much money has been wasted on signings over the last 18 months to start again.

We will never win the league relying on guys like Tavernier and Goldson. No less one of them being the captain.

I am not going to slate them endlessly, but that is just my belief from watching them play for us over a number of games.

We have a lot of nice footballers in the team but these need to be complemented by players who know the league, guys like Docherty, Ferguson at Aberdeen etc.

The same squad/team outplayed Celtic twice before the winter break . A good win at Parkhead and what should have been a league cup win by a few goals .
They cant have became sh1te footballers in 6 weeks. Has the heavy December schedule drained them, was the Dubai trip the wrong thing, over confidence a thing. Bad refereeing has definetley not helped.
I think a few will go and hopefully a few brought in to strengthen the squad especially an Attacking Centre Mid and another Forward.
That's the million dollar question, but we are where we are for the 2nd year in a row - league over in mid February,

Big gamble to give them a go at a 3rd.

Name some.

Barasic, Davis, Goldson, Jack have all been captains before. McGregor is a leader. Thats 5 people who are captains, plus our actual captain.

Such a lazy, lazy excuse

People on here love intangible nonsense, like "passion" and "heart" and "leadership".

Reactions: TN8
Certainly not a given that the likes of Tavernier and Morelos will be sold.

Who's paying the money we want for Morelos. Serious question?

We've collapsed at the same time as last season so it's obvious some of these players aren't good enough. That's and other factors/issues.

The summer window has to see genuine quality over quantity. Unlike last summer.

Absolute nonsense to suggest these players can't form the basis of our team for next season. What we need is a couple of guaranteed starters signed in the summer.

The problem for me is that we're essentially playing with the same starting 11 as last season. Not enough contributions from our summer signings.

So we sell our two best players , replace them with lesser quality , in order to improve ?

How does that work again

Did I say lesser quality point it out if I did?

I think we could do better with the team overall if we cash in the midfield needs quality power and a touch of magic get that right the rest won’t be far away our defence is sorted and tbh Morelos isn’t irreplaceable either.

Shut up

Tav has been a bombscare for season going way back to to the hibs cup final, you cant win things when you have players who on a regular make horrendous costly mistakes, and by the way Goldson is not free of mistakes either.

This same group of players and management staff:

1. Progressed through 8 Europa League Quals.
2. Qualified in 2nd place, losing one game after being bottom seed.
3. Smashed them in the Cup Final, completely battered them for 90 mins. Encountered some of the worst luck you’ll ever see in a football game.
4. Beat Celtic at Parkhead and went 2 points behind with a game in hand.

Small details just haven’t gone our way. And you need them and a slice of luck to win titles.

Did I say lesser quality point it out if I did?

I think we could do better with the team overall if we cash in the midfield needs quality power and a touch of magic get that right the rest won’t be far away our defence is sorted and tbh Morelos isn’t irreplaceable either.

What striker are you signing who’s equal to or better than Morelos ?

Back