A personal message from the MD of Rangers Football Club

It's probably difficult to defend us from others when we can quite happily sabotage ourselves at times. UEFA are clearly watching us just now and we have to continue the progress made in recent years.

This issue is entirely separate from anything else. Whether that be UEFA, FARE, SFA, Tims or whoever's having a go at us. Get our own sh*t sorted then we can look at others. That's my view anyway.
The majority of us have sorted our own shit ourselves. We arent always perfect but its tiring that we rarely get any protection at all when accusations come our way. Im scunnered with the board tbh "give us yer cash and shut the f up" seems to be their attitude

Have said it before but a lot of the idiots in our support and I’ll sing what I want brigade will be members of RSC’s

In some of the RSC’s I’ve been a member of, there were absolute roasters on it and some of the songs and other things I’ve seen on buses have been a disgrace if truth be told.

Maybe the only way of putting an end to any nonsense is by effectively threatening RSC ticket allocations of members that act like fuds

Have said it before but a lot of the idiots in our support and I’ll sing what I want brigade will be members of RSC’s

In some of the RSC’s I’ve been a member of, there were absolute roasters on it and some of the songs and other things I’ve seen on buses have been a disgrace if truth be told.

Maybe the only way of putting an end to any nonsense is by effectively threatening RSC ticket allocations of members that act like fuds
Have a word with yourself crying about what goes on on a supporters bus ya melon. Go out and get your hole

it’s not aimed at the 99% though, is it? Are you suggesting the advice is ignored because of who it comes from? How do you expect that to play out?

You are right of course but I think a lot of people are irked by Robertson’s demeanour and how out of touch he seems . And yes he is all over this everyone anyone campaign like a rash and he is rightly telling the bobby sands brigade to leave their baggage in the house .

However a lot of these people Robertson included think punters button up the back . UEFA sanctioned us for illicit chants which took place in warsaw before and after the game when the stadium was empty except our section . It was a total fucking embarrassment seeing our players warm down to a backdrop of songs that have no place at Rangers - that much is irrefutable .

Robertson and the club had the names addresses and Rangers numbers of the vast majority in our section through the travel club. He knows ( for the most part ) who sang the songs that got us the sanction , yes it’s impossible to know every single fans Identity , however he could’ve acted accordingly and barred individuals but instead the broomloan is “ randomly” picked and gets a section shut ? Guys who weren’t even in Warsaw suffered . That was a total disgrace .

Everyone can see what’s going on with a move like that and it fuels the distrust between regular fans and the board .

People can’t be taken for mugs for much longer , at the same time grown men singing about popes , 19th Century Terrorists and bobby sands at a Glasgow Rangers football match home or away is ultimate cringe and there can be absolutely no excuses for anybody still indulging themselves in this kind of crass garbage . It’s 2020 ffs . Stop harming the club it’s that simple .

Agree with most of that but wheres the same balls when it comes to defending us from MSM, SPFL, SNP and our bitter wee country in general??

Nae bother Stu, just you hammer the fans but. Another gutless waste of a wage.

If someone behaves like an arsehole, a statement from a director isn’t going to change that. Almost like society isn’t perfect!
No, but statements like that can and will be used to mitigate against any issues at the game.

We have recently had stand closures and we were ALL very nervous about possible expulsion earlier this season and whether we like it or not, or agree with it or not, or if it is fair (or FARE) or not, we are under the spotlight every single time we play in Europe. The club has a requirement to be seen doing something to try and stop it happening again and if we are brutally honest, supporters have a fucking cheek complaining about this statement after what has happened this season in Europe. It is not aimed at everyone, it is aimed at the people who see their right to 'fuck the pope' as more important than the club's need to be playing European football.

People legitimately have a point when they complain about how the club defends itself in the media and against the media. Absolutely. It is a separate issue to this though and needs to be treated as such.

Opening a dangerous can of worms here. If displaying a flag, or other such item, with an "offensive" slogan on it at Edinburgh Airport, or any such other location not directly associated with Rangers Football Club, is deemed to put the club in a bad light, it is opening a door for anyone with hared of our club to make up a similarly offensive banner, stick a couple of Rangers scarfs around their necks, take a photo and post it on social media before standing back to admire the backlash from their actions. Yes if the defamatory banner is displayed within Ibrox Park then the club have a problem.

Have a word with yourself crying about what goes on on a supporters bus ya melon. Go out and get your hole

I’m not crying about anything.

All I’ve stated is IMO most of the I’ll sing what I want brigade at away games will likely be members of a bus.

Whatever happens on a bus I couldn’t really care less, a bus is a laugh but I’ve seen some things on buses that go beyond a laugh

What I do have an issue with is when roasters take songs into stadiums and it harms the club

Also, a melon? Tremendous patter that is

Opening a dangerous can of worms here. If displaying a flag, or other such item, with an "offensive" slogan on it at Edinburgh Airport, or any such other location not directly associated with Rangers Football Club, is deemed to put the club in a bad light, it is opening a door for anyone with hared of our club to make up a similarly offensive banner, stick a couple of Rangers scarfs around their necks, take a photo and post it on social media before standing back to admire the backlash from their actions. Yes if the defamatory banner is displayed within Ibrox Park then the club have a problem.

What backlash? The person being banned from Ibrox? This is an in house issue and the club are making sire they are seen to be acting. They can literally not do anything other than they have done here.

This message is a natural follow up to this. The club is sending out a strong message.

The Everyone Anyone Fans Charter

I pledge to play my part in the initiative by:

• Acting as an ambassador for Rangers at all times by being respectful, tolerant and inclusive
  • Raising awareness of the Everyone Anyone diversity and inclusion campaign
  • Appreciating that despite our many differences, we are all united in our support for Rangers
  • Respecting supporters and groups who share contrary views and beliefs
  • Acknowledging we should all feel safe, welcome and wanted at Rangers matches
  • Recognising the barriers people may experience because of their identity
  • Standing up and being an ally for those who experience discrimination
  • Rejecting pre-conceived stereotypes about Rangers fans, players and staff and their identities
  • Assisting Rangers to showcase our varied fanbase by setting a positive example at matches
  • Accepting there is no place in society for bigotry, racism, sectarianism or homophobia
  • Reporting discriminatory language and behaviour whenever I witness or experience it
  • Being aware of how my behaviour and language might impact on others
  • Understanding there will be sanctions for discrimination and anti-social behaviour

He is correct to address these matters as that’d one part of his job. He’s a busy man and will be heading along to the SFA headquarters to pay our £10k fine in case the cheque gets lost in the post. Smithers always takes the easy route.

Reading between the lines, it looks like supporters clubs have maybe been applying for juvenile or concession tickets and adults have been using them.
That’s certainly the inference. No idea if that is true but even if it’s not as blatant as applying if they’ve been selling them on to adults it’s bang out of order. Especially juveniles which are a different colour.
Concessions there may be some excuse of not knowing it was a concession but if you’re selling in a ticket the onus is one the ticket holder to make sure I’m they pay any upgrade or suffer the consequences.

Not a problem with the statement and the quicker some fans realise that things have changed the better. We have more enemies than ever who are watching and listening for the slightest thing to harm us.

I’m not crying about anything.

All I’ve stated is IMO most of the I’ll sing what I want brigade at away games will likely be members of a bus.

Whatever happens on a bus I couldn’t really care less, a bus is a laugh but I’ve seen some things on buses that go beyond a laugh

What I do have an issue with is when roasters take songs into stadiums and it harms the club

Also, a melon? Tremendous patter that is
Not sure if you have noticed but none of that singing has been in the stadium since the ban. Fact you commented on what gets sang outside the ground says you obviously could care less.

Thats a harsh but fair summary and anyone denying it either hasn’t been to an away european tie or is a liar .

Personally Id refuse tickets for away ties until the message gets through - everyone suffers until the cretins stop their nonsense .

…Whatever happens on a bus I couldn’t really care less, a bus is a laugh but I’ve seen some things on buses that go beyond a laugh…
Horrible, horrible times, but the challenge for these times is that there will almost always be one person deciding that it will be a good idea to film it on their phone, and as soon as that happens you’re really at the mercy of the person and who they share/show things to.

If the main guys on buses make sure people know that anyone who decides to film will get a kicking though, fun should be able to be resumed without doubt…

Same pish before every game
It's not mate,some fans do need reminded of their responsibilities.If we manage to get through this round idont want to be locked out of the Stadium for the next round just because a few bams can't behave themselves.
Now that the Club has put this in writing,they will be able to produce this as evidence that they are trying to stop any unwanted behaviour whenever EUFA come along to sanction us.

Robertson is a spokesman. He is the boards lackey. It's a great job to have.

He doesn't deserve the ire of the fans regarding the dignified silence. That's all on the board.

They'll push him out front and pass the buck to club1872

David Murray would have been proud though

No, but statements like that can and will be used to mitigate against any issues at the game.

We have recently had stand closures and we were ALL very nervous about possible expulsion earlier this season and whether we like it or not, or agree with it or not, or if it is fair (or FARE) or not, we are under the spotlight every single time we play in Europe. The club has a requirement to be seen doing something to try and stop it happening again and if we are brutally honest, supporters have a fucking cheek complaining about this statement after what has happened this season in Europe. It is not aimed at everyone, it is aimed at the people who see their right to 'fuck the pope' as more important than the club's need to be playing European football.

People legitimately have a point when they complain about how the club defends itself in the media and against the media. Absolutely. It is a separate issue to this though and needs to be treated as such.
It’s the biggest issue for alot of fans. So seeing this bollocks trotted out every couple of weeks, whilst allowing a co-ordinated attack on our club from mentally challenged media puppets and a corrupt SFA, pisses people off

What backlash? The person being banned from Ibrox? This is an in house issue and the club are making sire they are seen to be acting. They can literally not do anything other than they have done here.
NL, I think either you do not understand the point I made or, more probably, I did not make myself clear. SR, in his letter, clearly states that certain images, with offensive slogans, posted on social media and which can be linked to RFC (by a scarf, a strip etc) are causing unwanted scrutiny from the media and tarnishing the name of the club. The point I make is that any mentally challenged with a camera, a Rangers scarf, a red white and blue flag and a black marker pen can quite easily generate the scrutiny that SR is trying to avoid. Whats more, if such pictures were, indeed, posted by enemies of our club, they would hardly be concerned about being banned from Ibrox, would they?

Thats a harsh but fair summary and anyone denying it either hasn’t been to an away european tie or is a liar .

Personally Id refuse tickets for away ties until the message gets through - everyone suffers until the cretins stop their nonsense .
Just revoke everyone’s season ticket while you’re at it? One of the home games got us charged, everyone suffers as you said ?

The majority of us have sorted our own shit ourselves. We arent always perfect but its tiring that we rarely get any protection at all when accusations come our way. Im scunnered with the board tbh "give us yer cash and shut the f up" seems to be their attitude

I appreciate the thoughts on SR and the board but people have to take this message in isolation. Forget everything else going on and just embrace the message from the club that anything deemed sectarian, racist or simply offensive will be jumped upon by UEFA and the club (and fans) will suffer further consequences which will see us ridiculed further.

Just revoke everyone’s season ticket while you’re at it? One of the home games got us charged, everyone suffers as you said ?

You’ve taken that too far and I realise being ironic.

The club have shown no foresight in terms of dealing with UEFA being on our case . We are reactive instead of proactive and are constantly on the back foot .

The away european ties are ones a lot of fans look forward to , and by removing that privilege will hit home the hardest when it comes to realising the singing is STILL, incredibly , getting our club into bother in 2020 . It’s truly pathetic . Boys know what they can and can’t sing there’s no excuses left .

In this instance, he's absolutely correct.
I agree and have no complaints with us ticking boxes, BB, that's sensible and had to be done.
The issue here is the Club's divisive 'them and us' communications strategy is eroding the relationship with the bears, has diminished both his platform and respect for any message intended to be heeded by the fanbase. See this thread, our approach is slow suicide.

You’ve taken that too far and I realise being ironic.

The club have shown no foresight in terms of dealing with UEFA being on our case . We are reactive instead of proactive and are constantly on the back foot .

The away european ties are ones a lot of fans look forward to , and by removing that privilege will hit home the hardest when it comes to realising the singing is STILL, incredibly , getting our club into bother in 2020 . It’s truly pathetic . Boys know what they can and can’t sing there’s no excuses left .
Removing the privilege from me and 99% of the support who’ve done %^*& all ? Don’t think so mate

NL, I think either you do not understand the point I made or, more probably, I did not make myself clear. SR, in his letter, clearly states that certain images, with offensive slogans, posted on social media and which can be linked to RFC (by a scarf, a strip etc) are causing unwanted scrutiny from the media and tarnishing the name of the club. The point I make is that any mentally challenged with a camera, a Rangers scarf, a red white and blue flag and a black marker pen can quite easily generate the scrutiny that SR is trying to avoid. Whats more, if such pictures were, indeed, posted by enemies of our club, they would hardly be concerned about being banned from Ibrox, would they?
I understand a little better, so thank you. I would suggest that this statement does not change anything in that regard; It does not increase scrutiny and it does not increase the likelihood of people doing as you said. It does, however, provide mitigation for any bad behaviour which is something we need to do, given what has gone on this season.

Removing the privilege from me and 99% of the support who’ve done %^*& all ? Don’t think so mate

If you are saying only 1% in Warsaw sang the chants that saw a section of Ibrox closed for the return leg then you are at it .

What we ended up with was people missing out on their own seats in the home leg who hadn’t even been in Warsaw .

It’s the biggest issue for alot of fans. So seeing this bollocks trotted out every couple of weeks, whilst allowing a co-ordinated attack on our club from mentally challenged media puppets and a corrupt SFA, pisses people off
I get it mate and do not disagree. I think people need to try and remember that there are 2 different things going on here and this statement is, 100%, about protecting the club specifically if anything untoward does happen, because we know we are already a good few steps down the path that leads to not playing in Europe.

It is a different issue entirely to the lack of defence in the media and you are absolutely right that there is a different approach there, we need to be mindful enough to treat everything on it's own merits and unfortunately, this statement is absolutely vital to us right now.

I appreciate the thoughts on SR and the board but people have to take this message in isolation. Forget everything else going on and just embrace the message from the club that anything deemed sectarian, racist or simply offensive will be jumped upon by UEFA and the club (and fans) will suffer further consequences which will see us ridiculed further.
I do agree with his statement. Genuinely seems to me it doesnt matter what the fans do, those outside the club have already decided we are bigots. As ive said we have cleaned up our act but rarely get any backing from inside the club.

Nothing he says is unreasonable however, the fact it’s coming from a man who has done absolutely nothing to defend our name when the media have been peddling agenda after agenda directed at our team and support does leave a bad taste in the mouth.

for what it’s worth anybody STILL singing about religion or irrelevant terrorists ought to be seriously educated, it’s all about the Rangers.... isn’t it?

They people letting the club down with stupid song addons and banners are doing more damage than they realise, advertisers will be hesitant to do business with us if they think we have an issue with idiots in the support.

I don't disagree with any of that but I would like him to come out and defend the fans when we are targets of unfair criticism and abuse.
The accepted use of the H word and the continuing disrespect of the 66 fans who tragically died in the Ibrox disaster for a start.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there so can’t comment on that game. But you seem to only want to punish the away fans, doesn’t make sense to me

I don’t mate I wanted robertson and the club to take action on the individuals instead of kidding on they didn’t know who they were .

Given that it seems the only answer is to stop taking tickets for away games until it stops for good both domestically and in Europe .

It needs eradicated permanently , not lip service then the next time people have a booze in them at a game we hear it again . It’s like Groundhog Day .

They people letting the club down with stupid song addons and banners are doing more damage than they realise, advertisers will be hesitant to do business with us if they think we have an issue with idiots in the support.
Aye openly supporting the IRA and mocking british soldiers is going terribly for celtic.

Whilst the statement is correct its pi$$ing folks off that he only seems to be on the fans case and hiding when it comes to defending us against constant attack.

Back