Stick with Gerrard

Sometimes you’ve just got step back and think,everyone and thier granny bought into Steven Gerard we knew it would take a bit of time to get us challenging for titles,we are almost there but after a setback with different arguments ie ref decisions bad luck and yes some poor performances and now we have some supporters wanting rid of Gerard,just think for a minute where Man Utd would have been if the fans had got thier way with sacking fergie,sometimes guys you’ve got to step back and think positive yes it’s hard but I’m very confident we shall be back on top,getting rid of Gerard would set us back five yrs,and one more thing this site is rampant with poets and they would love to see Gerard gone.

I’d question the sanity and motived of anyone who genuinely thinks the answer is to sack Gerrard.

Question him, yes. Sack him, bonkers.

If he doesn’t get this team out this slump and they win another Treble he should be gone that’s the reality , This is a rookie manager who is loosing it not a man with a proven track record.

Got us where? To the league being over by the end of January?
Still being in Europe after Christmas, not being celtics whipping boys and even believing we can put in a title challenge

How anyone believes we could build a team and stop a team who has won almost everything going for the last 8 years is ridiculous, it's going to take time unless we throw tens of millions at it

Let's wait till end of the season and then see exactly what position we are in

We have since beating the mentally challengeds take your blue tinted glasses off we have been Terrible.
A rough month doesn't mean we're going backwards.

Anyone can cherry pick specific weeks and claim we're going backwards.

Should they have sacked Lennon after 29th december? after all, they lost to us at home for the first time in 10 years.. Surely going backwards?

I have never changed my opinion that we were so far behind them when he came (that many refused to admit on here) that it would take SG until his final season of his original contract before we would actually challenge for the league and by that I mean have a chance of winning it with only 2 or 3 games left, and that would only be if they didn't unearth a couple of good signings with the money they still have to spend. Nothing has made me change my mind on my original view.

Sometimes you’ve just got step back and think,everyone and thier granny bought into Steven Gerard we knew it would take a bit of time to get us challenging for titles,we are almost there but after a setback with different arguments ie ref decisions bad luck and yes some poor performances and now we have some supporters wanting rid of Gerard,just think for a minute where Man Utd would have been if the fans had got thier way with sacking fergie,sometimes guys you’ve got to step back and think positive yes it’s hard but I’m very confident we shall be back on top,getting rid of Gerard would set us back five yrs,and one more thing this site is rampant with poets and they would love to see Gerard gone.

Fergie was a proven manager with a European trophy under his belt not a 18 month rookie .

We are not going backwards, just not going forward fast enough to match us fans ambitions. We have just narrowly lost a cup final through a goal that should never have stood. Beat the scum at the piggery for the first time in a decade. However what has happened since has got to be a concern. Two seasons running we have went from being in with a shout of the title to it being over within a month of the season starting back after the mid season break.

He is probably guilty of being loyal to certain players whilst others he is willing to throw under the bus. Long term that has to be another concern because he could lose the dressing room with that kind of management of his squad.

We still have the Scottish Cup to win and the Europa League run hopefully gets him some extra cash to improve the team in the summer. I’m happy enough for Gerrard to remain as manager.

So what we going to do if we are in the same place this time next season. but it’s arite it’s stevie g he’s a legend.
Go in then, who are you getting in to replace him just now?
If we aren’t making any further progress this time next season then potentially questions should be asked. If Gerrard achieves the same incremental progress next season then we’ll be in a decent place.

either way, we are going to need Celtic to tail off, that’s out with our control.

I have never changed my opinion that we were so far behind them when he came (that many refused to admit on here) that it would take SG until his final season of his original contract before we would actually challenge for the league and by that I mean have a chance of winning it with only 2 or 3 games left, and that would only be if they didn't unearth a couple of good signings with the money they still have to spend. Nothing has made me change my mind on my original view.
People underestimate how far we had to come and expected us to jump straight into the SPL and challenge Celtic from the off.

Unfortunately that was never going to happen and was always going to take us a few years to rebuild.

A rough month doesn't mean we're going backwards.

Anyone can cherry pick specific weeks and claim we're going backwards.

Should they have sacked Lennon after 29th december? after all, they lost to us at home for the first time in 10 years.. Surely going backwards?

The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same things and expect different results.

Something is seriously wrong and needs to be sorted soon .

If he doesn't win the Scottish Cup he should be relieved of his duties, IMO.

And replace him with who?

We have to stick with him as we don't have the money available to continually rip it up and start again with overhauls to the squad it doesn't work.

*applauds*

This, exactly this.

Of course it hurts, I am gutted that we've hit this bad form, but I will continue to support the team because that's what we do, or should do.

Also who would replace Gerrard? Who? In what planet would we attract anyone else half decent? We'd likely get another scottish team manager, maybe English Championship, and we'd gradually slide back into mediocrity and lose the progress we have made.

Gerrard will not be getting paid peanuts and has been backed well by the board. We would be able to attract better managers that aren't (supposed to be) learning on the job.

This idea that we wouldn't be able to attract anyone better than a rookie manager that has proven himself to be a failure in the league is ridiculous.

Those wishing for the manager to be sacked will be the same calling for the head of the next. They won’t be so fucking happy when (if we sacked the manager and his back room team) we were reduced to going back to McInness and Tommy fucking Wright as possible candidates.
Anyone who thinks we would be in the market for Van Bronkhorst or Arteta or even Gatusso needs their bumps felt.
You don’t miss what you’ve got until you don’t have it.

We are no closer than last season actually further away now , We have been found wanting and have no answers .

We are but there is plenty of mitigating factors along with a collapse of the team in the last few weeks.

Every team shits the bed when they play that mob hence why they are on this run. We are their Cup final every week for every other team.

Shameful Referee. Cheating also. Plenty of points we've be cheated out of this season due to being refereed to a total different standard to anyone else. Also games where that lot should of had decisions against them not happening in turn they pick up the points.

All that as well as the collapse in the last few weeks.

We should be at least 7 points better off if it wasn't for blatant cheating so in reality we aren't that far off.

Not excusing the last few weeks but that's a Huge factor too.

The definition of insanity is to continue to do the same things and expect different results.

Something is seriously wrong and needs to be sorted soon .

Who's doing the same things?

We've done plenty different from last season and we're in a better position than last season.

We changed things up on Thursday and we're still in Europe.

We changed things up on Sunday and although it didn't go to plan you can't really blame Gerrard for Katic's mistakes. If Katic didn't make those mistakes we'd all be here hailing him a tactical genius for changing the game to get us forward then changing it again to keep the 3 points. Yet because of an INDIVIDUAL'S ERROR, Gerrard is somehow the worst manager ever.

And if we kept playing the way we where and still let a goal in and it ended up 2-2, we'd all be here slating him for not holding onto the win.

There's no win when your at Rangers. It's a loss/loss situation because we have the power of hindsight and no matter what he does, he loses.

Those wishing for the manager to be sacked will be the same calling for the head of the next. They won’t be so fucking happy when (if we sacked the manager and his back room team) we were reduced to going back to McInness and Tommy fucking Wright as possible candidates.
Anyone who thinks we would be in the market for Van Bronkhorst or Arteta or even Gatusso needs their bumps felt.
You don’t miss what you’ve got until you don’t have it.

You seriously think we'll go from Gerrard to a McInnes or Wright.

%^*& sake.

How long do we wait for this transformation he’s had the best part of 2 seasons and apart from Europe we are going backwards?
And that is the point sadly.

Things aren't good at the moment, but to say we're going backwards is just plain wrong.

Last 32 in the Europa, with a 1 goal lead going into the 2nd leg.

Reaching the final of the LC and being beaten by an offside goal, not to mention missing a penalty, plus our striker missing 5 (yes 5) clear cut chances, while the mentally challengeds couldn't muster a single legal effort on our goal.

Winning comfortably at the piggery for the first time in 10 years.

Having a far higher points total than this time last season.

Nobody's more pissed off than me how things are at the moment, but we can't afford to overreact.

We mist give our manager time to get things right, as opposed to ripping it up and starting again.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seriously think we'll go from Gerrard to a McInnes or Wright.

%^*& sake.
Considering our option last time around was Gerrard or Mcinnes it's not exactly out the realm of possibilities?

However let's hear your wisdom at the calibre of manager we can realistically get? (by realistic I mean not GVB, De Boer, Mourinho, Klopp, Poch, etc)

Gerrard will not be getting paid peanuts and has been backed well by the board. We would be able to attract better managers that aren't (supposed to be) learning on the job.

This idea that we wouldn't be able to attract anyone better than a rookie manager that has proven himself to be a failure in the league is ridiculous.
Like who then? who would you expect us to be able to attract? and would they do a better job? keep our profile up?

Celtic, as much as I hate to mention them, couldn't attract anyone after Rodgers even with a large budget, cash in the bank, euro football and domination of the league.

Like who then? who would you expect us to be able to attract? and would they do a better job? keep our profile up?

Celtic, as much as I hate to mention them, couldn't attract anyone after Rodgers even with a large budget, cash in the bank, euro football and domination of the league.
And this is with them coasting their way to league titles and essentially free CL football. Them getting rodgers was lightning in a bottle and even he fucked off when the stakes became too high.

At the end of the day - no sane, good manager is coming to Rangers or Celtic in our current climate because the stakes are far too high and the negatives far, far, far outweigh any positives that can come from it.

People mentioning GVB etc make me laugh. Not only could we not afford him - There is 0 chance he comes because if we let them win 10iar our support will turn on them instantly - and it'll be 100x worse than what Ally gets now.

Who's doing the same things?

We've done plenty different from last season and we're in a better position than last season.

We changed things up on Thursday and we're still in Europe.

We changed things up on Sunday and although it didn't go to plan you can't really blame Gerrard for Katic's mistakes. If Katic didn't make those mistakes we'd all be here hailing him a tactical genius for changing the game to get us forward then changing it again to keep the 3 points. Yet because of an INDIVIDUAL'S ERROR, Gerrard is somehow the worst manager ever.

And if we kept playing the way we where and still let a goal in and it ended up 2-2, we'd all be here slating him for not holding onto the win.

There's no win when your at Rangers. It's a loss/loss situation because we have the power of hindsight and no matter what he does, he loses.

Same rigid 4-3-3 no changing system or personnel .

We tried to play football yesterday on a potato field which show how inexperienced he is .

I hope he turns it round but I doubt it.

If they win another treble he should be gone no ifs buts or maybes.

Things aren't good at the moment, but to say we're going backwards is just plain wrong.

Reaching the final of the LC and being beaten by an offside goal, not to mention missing a penalty, our striker missing 5 (yes 5) clear cut chances, while the mentally challengeds couldn't muster a single legal effort on our goal.

Nobody's more pissed off than me how things are at the moment, but we can't afford to overreact.

We mist give our manager time to get things right, as opposed to ripping it up and starting again.

So what if the same thing happens next January will we just hand them 10 ??

There is no choice but to stick with him. He is going nowhere.

Even the most staunch among us must be concerned with the performances these past 2 months.

How long do we wait for this transformation he’s had the best part of 2 seasons and apart from Europe we are going backwards?
domestically we've stagnated not gone backwards, europe has been a tremendous run this season further strengthening in the summer e.g. new CB & new Striker a must

Same rigid 4-3-3 no changing system or personnel .

We tried to play football yesterday on a potato field which show how inexperienced he is .

I hope he turns it round but I doubt it.

If they win another treble he should be gone no ifs buts or maybes.
Change our personnel...? To who? Barker? Lmfao. We have a good starting 11, 1-2 good rotation players and then we have dross left. We sit here on match threads every week "Man that bench looks awful" yet your wanting changes made to the starting 11? Doesn't make sense. Don't say start Kamberi because if he did and he ended up injured you'd be here saying we should've let him rest for Thursday, gerrard is terrible, does he have no foresight, etc etc

Are we really gonna sit here and criticise St Johnstones state of pitch?? Did you see the mess ours was in Thursday? and regardless of pitch state, if not for Katic's individual errors, which isn't really up to Gerrard (Tho I do agree he should've been off at half time at the latest), we would have won with Gerrards tactics - it was individual errors that let him down.

If they win another treble it'll be down to referees considering they already cheated us out of a cup. Not sure we can really put Gerrard's career on the fact Referee's fucked him over?

Tin hat on.

While every single one of us was gutted / raging about yesterday, this climb back up the leagues and improving the finances and squad to where we were before was always going to take time unless an Abramovich type individual came knocking which was never going to happen in Scotland.

While I get that loads of Bears are now questioning Gerrard and his tactics, (watching Katic blundering his way through the 90 mins, taking Alfie off when we go 2-1 up) but he is still learning his trade at this level and must be given time (Sir Alex was one game away from getting the bullet at Man U for having 2 baron seasons until the won the FA Cup) but we are something like 10 points better off this season than we were at this point last season = Progress. We made it through the league sections of the Europa 2 seasons on the bounce from the 1st qualifying stage = Progress and this year make the knockout stages where we take a goal advantage into Wednesday against the Portuguese league leaders = Progress. Let’s also add in taking 3 points at the piggery for the first time in 10 years in the last OF game = Progress.

Yes, we have some areas we need to strengthen (particularly in defence) but I am sure Gerrard has already identified where we need better players. He will learn from his mistakes as he appears to have done with Ojo who he continually played when we all said he wasn’t good enough and now he’s nowhere near the squad never mind the starting 11.

I saw some bollocks % stats yesterday comparing Gerrard to Pedro and Warburron showing he has a worse win record than those two but I know who I want in charge of this team and it ain’t the man who had no plan B, said week in week out we had great possession, showed great pitch geography, were unlucky and would regroup train hard and go again next week or the man who stood in a bush arguing with Bears who had just witnessed the worst and most embarrassing performance in Europe against a team of plumbers!

There is a huge expectation on Gerrard delivering a league title to stop the scum getting 10 in a row and yes they’ll gloat like %^*& if they get there but we know their titles are tainted. I think changing the manager at the end of this season will hand them 10, 11, 12 etc

I always feel proud that we are the ones who were born into families who are proud to support Rangers. We do not follow a rancid despicable cesspit of a club who support the IRA, employed known paedophiles at their BC and continue to distance themselves from the truth while those who were abused seek justice.

[/We will return to the top once again, and let’s hope it’s next season.]

WATP
Lets hope its next season been hearing this for 4 yrs.. my patience is at a all time low..
If gerrard gets pumped out the sc next week i honestly think he will walk... .. just my opinion..

We can't just become a sacking club, not after two years anyway. What I will say is he needs to learn to change formation and earlier.
One positive is his subs are better the last two games, if he can learn to break away from the 4-3-3 then we won't be far away. He also needs to learn that EVERYONE is droppable if out of form.

Which is why I made the reference to Sir Alex being one game away from the bullet after 2 seasons and then what happened?
Sir alex was already a proven winning manager with aberdeen league titles, and Scottish cups and a european trophy. When he took over at man utd he inheritated a unfit man u team..he brought in his own players.. sadly many of the players in gerrards team ,,he bought

By the way for those moaning about not changing formation after winter break

Anyone remember last year? We came back, changed formation, lost and everyone on here slated him for changing formation which brought us back to 433.....then we wanted it changed, again

If gerrard came back and changed formation, like they have, everyone here would be saying "Does gerrard not learn? Why is he doing the same this as last winter break?"

So what if the same thing happens next January will we just hand them 10 ??

Before my time mate, but I'm pretty sure Rangers had a horrific season in 1973/74 under Jock Wallace, but they saw improvement towards the end of the season and they stuck by him.

Next season he stopped Stein and Celtic doing 10 and then went on to win 2 trebles in 3 seasons.

Go back even further in our history and you'll see Scot Symon survived a 7-1 LC Final defeat against the mentally challengeds.

He then went on to win 2 domestic trebles and lead us to 2 European finals.

My point basically is, if we see progress has been made by the end of the season, irrespective of trophies, then he deserves another season to progress further.

And beating the Scum 3 times dont forget we where cheated out the League Cup ,the Club was in a proper mess after the clusterfuck Pedro Caixinha left behind.Winning the Cup would keep Gerrard firmly in his position losing it would see a lot calling for his head my own preference would be to give him next season to win the League.

Change our personnel...? To who? Barker? Lmfao. We have a good starting 11, 1-2 good rotation players and then we have dross left. We sit here on match threads every week "Man that bench looks awful" yet your wanting changes made to the starting 11? Doesn't make sense. Don't say start Kamberi because if he did and he ended up injured you'd be here saying we should've let him rest for Thursday, gerrard is terrible, does he have no foresight, etc etc

Are we really gonna sit here and criticise St Johnstones state of pitch?? Did you see the mess ours was in Thursday? and regardless of pitch state, if not for Katic's individual errors, which isn't really up to Gerrard (Tho I do agree he should've been off at half time at the latest), we would have won with Gerrards tactics - it was individual errors that let him down.

If they win another treble it'll be down to referees considering they already cheated us out of a cup. Not sure we can really put Gerrard's career on the fact Referee's fucked him over?

I agree with the ref part but half the time he doesn’t have a problem with them so that in it’s self is his problem as well.

Our pitch was a shithole as well but we didn’t leave it with divots all over it .

Kamberi should have started the league should always take priority.

We should have a plan B which we don’t for games like yesterday.

This going backwards stuff is nonsense. 9 points better off than we were at the same stage last season they're sadly improving in terms of points they're 13 better off.

League cup final yes we lost it to an offside goal and Forster had the game of his life, last 32 of europe with a great chance of going into the last 16 after being unseeded for 2 rounds and a much harder group this time so the progress is there things just arent going well the now its football it happens.

Tin hat on.

While every single one of us was gutted / raging about yesterday, this climb back up the leagues and improving the finances and squad to where we were before was always going to take time unless an Abramovich type individual came knocking which was never going to happen in Scotland.

While I get that loads of Bears are now questioning Gerrard and his tactics, (watching Katic blundering his way through the 90 mins, taking Alfie off when we go 2-1 up) but he is still learning his trade at this level and must be given time (Sir Alex was one game away from getting the bullet at Man U for having 2 baron seasons until the won the FA Cup) but we are something like 10 points better off this season than we were at this point last season = Progress. We made it through the league sections of the Europa 2 seasons on the bounce from the 1st qualifying stage = Progress and this year make the knockout stages where we take a goal advantage into Wednesday against the Portuguese league leaders = Progress. Let’s also add in taking 3 points at the piggery for the first time in 10 years in the last OF game = Progress.

Yes, we have some areas we need to strengthen (particularly in defence) but I am sure Gerrard has already identified where we need better players. He will learn from his mistakes as he appears to have done with Ojo who he continually played when we all said he wasn’t good enough and now he’s nowhere near the squad never mind the starting 11.

I saw some bollocks % stats yesterday comparing Gerrard to Pedro and Warburron showing he has a worse win record than those two but I know who I want in charge of this team and it ain’t the man who had no plan B, said week in week out we had great possession, showed great pitch geography, were unlucky and would regroup train hard and go again next week or the man who stood in a bush arguing with Bears who had just witnessed the worst and most embarrassing performance in Europe against a team of plumbers!

There is a huge expectation on Gerrard delivering a league title to stop the scum getting 10 in a row and yes they’ll gloat like %^*& if they get there but we know their titles are tainted. I think changing the manager at the end of this season will hand them 10, 11, 12 etc

I always feel proud that we are the ones who were born into families who are proud to support Rangers. We do not follow a rancid despicable cesspit of a club who support the IRA, employed known paedophiles at their BC and continue to distance themselves from the truth while those who were abused seek justice.

We will return to the top once again, and let’s hope it’s next season.

WATP
A good and reasoned post,you will still get posters going on about how bad we are and we are going backwards despite all the evidence to the contrary.

There is plenty of managers that would work for what we are paying Gerrard. I'm sure Ross Wilson could find someone better easily.

I agree with the ref part but half the time he doesn’t have a problem with them so that in it’s self is his problem as well.

Our pitch was a shithole as well but we didn’t leave it with divots all over it .

Pretty obvious he has a problem with the refs, he just can't speak out about it for whatever reason. When Michael Beale was suspended he said "Can't say my true thoughts on it as I'd get in a lot of trouble", when he first took over us 2 years ago he came out speaking about the refs and rangers got fined.

Sorry not listening to complaining about teams with a fraction of our budget having a terrible pitch given the state ours was in Thursday we have no right to complain about anything. If we can't have a half decent pitch what chance do diddy teams like st johnstone have? none.

And if Kamberi gets injured he's out for a few league games aswell, leaving us with no defoe, no kamberi and an out of form morelos. It's the smarter choice to play Kamberi as little as possible and use him as an impact sub until we have Defoe back.

We brought on Kamberi and changed formation again, is that not a plan B? We reverted back to plan A to hold out the game once we got the lead yes, but if we let in that goal with plan B you'd be here complaining that we should've held off when we got the lead as 3 points are more important than scoring more goals.

So, what was the plan in the second half to get us ahead? C? D?

Think we all forget that he is a rookie manager, learning his trade at the deep end. Unfortunately that means we will get the bumps along the road. SG said as much last season. We have improved on last year, but it's still frustrating to see what has happened since we got back from the Winter break. I'm still a fan of his and he has my support

Tin hat on.

We will return to the top once again, and let’s hope it’s next season.

WATP
Totally agree with you and I think the 9/10 iar thinkg has distracted us from our main aim which is to get back to the top and maybe a few false Dawns have lifted the expectations of fans, I'm one,but I knew it would be a long road back. It's players letting the gaffer down and he's certainly not sending them out to play the way they have played the intensity has all but disappeared from the first half of seasons,surely it's up to players to up the ante,it should be there from the off anyway,but it's players who are responsible for that.

Would be absolutely daft to get rid of Gerrard right now. Who on earth are we going to bring in and inherit his squad? Be sensible here.

If we did we would revert all progress made.

Reaching the final of the LC and being beaten by an offside goal, not to mention missing a penalty, our striker missing 5 (yes 5) clear cut chances, while the mentally challengeds couldn't muster a single legal effort on our goal.

All true but Rangers are Rangers that means winning and regularly winning. Being a gallant loser is not acceptable no matter the circumstances in the LC Final. I guess he'll get to January 2021 if history repeats AGAIN and we have not won the LC he's toast. All very sad but that's reality as I see it.

Them coasting to their 5th trophy in a row since he arrived means questions will be rightly asked about domestic results and performances.

I’m still behind him but he knew what he was signing up for and going from title contenders to also-rans inside of 8 weeks is not OK for a Rangers manager.

Back