Stick with Gerrard

Kilwinning GMan

Tin hat on.

While every single one of us was gutted / raging about yesterday, this climb back up the leagues and improving the finances and squad to where we were before was always going to take time unless an Abramovich type individual came knocking which was never going to happen in Scotland.

While I get that loads of Bears are now questioning Gerrard and his tactics, (watching Katic blundering his way through the 90 mins, taking Alfie off when we go 2-1 up) but he is still learning his trade at this level and must be given time (Sir Alex was one game away from getting the bullet at Man U for having 2 baron seasons until the won the FA Cup) but we are something like 10 points better off this season than we were at this point last season = Progress. We made it through the league sections of the Europa 2 seasons on the bounce from the 1st qualifying stage = Progress and this year make the knockout stages where we take a goal advantage into Wednesday against the Portuguese league leaders = Progress. Let’s also add in taking 3 points at the piggery for the first time in 10 years in the last OF game = Progress.

Yes, we have some areas we need to strengthen (particularly in defence) but I am sure Gerrard has already identified where we need better players. He will learn from his mistakes as he appears to have done with Ojo who he continually played when we all said he wasn’t good enough and now he’s nowhere near the squad never mind the starting 11.

I saw some bollocks % stats yesterday comparing Gerrard to Pedro and Warburron showing he has a worse win record than those two but I know who I want in charge of this team and it ain’t the man who had no plan B, said week in week out we had great possession, showed great pitch geography, were unlucky and would regroup train hard and go again next week or the man who stood in a bush arguing with Bears who had just witnessed the worst and most embarrassing performance in Europe against a team of plumbers!

There is a huge expectation on Gerrard delivering a league title to stop the scum getting 10 in a row and yes they’ll gloat like %^*& if they get there but we know their titles are tainted. I think changing the manager at the end of this season will hand them 10, 11, 12 etc

I always feel proud that we are the ones who were born into families who are proud to support Rangers. We do not follow a rancid despicable cesspit of a club who support the IRA, employed known paedophiles at their BC and continue to distance themselves from the truth while those who were abused seek justice.

We will return to the top once again, and let’s hope it’s next season.

WATP

Learn your mistakes dont repeat them and I am behind SG. Every other aspect get ticks from me. Its just so frustrating when we were sol close yet a stubborn policy is adopted that every other can see its not working.

Of course we stick with him but he must do better and start by taking responsibility and stop throwing players to the wolves. His man management has to be better imo.

He gets next season if it goes the same way we have to look to change imo that’s 3 seasons that’s more than enough to get what he wants on the pitch if we tank after December again start the hunt.

I know we still don't have much to show except a last 32 in Europe but the product I'm watching on the pitch is a lot better than last season and dramatically better than season before there is progress there.

Stevie needs to finish this season well, if for talking take we make last 16 or last 8 in Europe and a Scottish Cup final I think that would sit better with me.

I'd defo give him another season.

To be honest we’ve no option. There’s no way we can afford to pay him and his staff off. Just hope we can turn it around.

Tin hat on.

While every single one of us was gutted / raging about yesterday, this climb back up the leagues and improving the finances and squad to where we were before was always going to take time unless an Abramovich type individual came knocking which was never going to happen in Scotland.

While I get that loads of Bears are now questioning Gerrard and his tactics, (watching Katic blundering his way through the 90 mins, taking Alfie off when we go 2-1 up) but he is still learning his trade at this level and must be given time (Sir Alex was one game away from getting the bullet at Man U for having 2 baron seasons until the won the FA Cup) but we are something like 10 points better off this season than we were at this point last season = Progress. We made it through the league sections of the Europa 2 seasons on the bounce from the 1st qualifying stage = Progress and this year make the knockout stages where we take a goal advantage into Wednesday against the Portuguese league leaders = Progress. Let’s also add in taking 3 points at the piggery for the first time in 10 years in the last OF game = Progress.

Yes, we have some areas we need to strengthen (particularly in defence) but I am sure Gerrard has already identified where we need better players. He will learn from his mistakes as he appears to have done with Ojo who he continually played when we all said he wasn’t good enough and now he’s nowhere near the squad never mind the starting 11.

I saw some bollocks % stats yesterday comparing Gerrard to Pedro and Warburron showing he has a worse win record than those two but I know who I want in charge of this team and it ain’t the man who had no plan B, said week in week out we had great possession, showed great pitch geography, were unlucky and would regroup train hard and go again next week or the man who stood in a bush arguing with Bears who had just witnessed the worst and most embarrassing performance in Europe against a team of plumbers!

There is a huge expectation on Gerrard delivering a league title to stop the scum getting 10 in a row and yes they’ll gloat like %^*& if they get there but we know their titles are tainted. I think changing the manager at the end of this season will hand them 10, 11, 12 etc

I always feel proud that we are the ones who were born into families who are proud to support Rangers. We do not follow a rancid despicable cesspit of a club who support the IRA, employed known paedophiles at their BC and continue to distance themselves from the truth while those who were abused seek justice.

We will return to the top once again, and let’s hope it’s next season.

WATP
Good post OP. The whole 'stop 10IAR' thing is a frustration for us all. I of course would love to see us stop it and GIRFU(Them), but in the end of the day if they were only on a run of 4 or 5IAR and we were where we are right now - every one of us would be prepared to give SG as much time as he needs.

It's an arbitrary achievement for them in a confounding context (of our/Murray's own doing of course). It is what it is, our strength going forward has to be our resilience and togetherness.

Stick with him so we can repeat the same thing next season. He won't learn from games at Rugby Park, games against Aberdeen etc.

I fully expect him to play the exact same way against Hearts next week and have the same problems. We still might go through due to having far superior players but the problem will still be there.

There;s no other option, we have to.

He's only getting by due to the European Campaign.
However, the leagues gone and these players can't do pressure. Look at last season, the form started again after Celtic were too far ahead and there was no real pressure. They are weak willed and its unacceptable.

The Scottish Cup is now non negotiable. Must win

Failure to win a trophy this season, a quadruple treble, with the chance to win 10 in a row next season and next season is going to be horrible - the pressure on Gerrard and the players will be through the roof. They struggle with pressure as it is.

Two trophy less seasons under Gerrard's is unacceptable. He's got to win the Scottish Cup this season or there will be a real lack of confidence in him as we head into 20/21.

How long do we wait for this transformation he’s had the best part of 2 seasons and apart from Europe we are going backwards?

It isn’t backwards though is it.

We are having an awful 5-6 weeks. But that does not constitute us going backwards.

Backwards is not reaching cup finals. Backwards is not being in contention for the league at any stage of the season.
Backwards is replacing Morelos, Davis, Goldson with the likes of Waghorn, Ball and Kiernan.

Gerrard is driving us forward. It’s the fact that we have inexplicably collapsed after having a superb first half of the season.

I trust the Gaffer because this season has seen us come as close to winning trophies as we’ve had in many years, and he’s got Rangers playing some of the best football I’ve seen.

It hurts to be that close and have it snatched away. But he is getting us close.

Progress is visible in the widest context. Doesn’t change we have lost points due to our inability to defend a long high ball. Every week for the last month. We have players like Kent clearly off form yet we don’t give others a chance.

We should not sack Gerrard but are perfectly right to point out our patience is not without limits. He needs to learn. Faster.

We are having an awful 5-6 weeks. But that does not constitute us going backwards.

Backwards is not reaching cup finals. Backwards is not being in contention for the league at any stage of the season.
Backwards is replacing Morelos, Davis, Goldson with the likes of Waghorn, Ball and Kiernan.

Gerrard is driving us forward. It’s the fact that we have inexplicably collapsed after having a superb first half of the season.

I trust the Gaffer because this season has seen us come as close to winning trophies as we’ve had in many years, and he’s got Rangers playing some of the best football I’ve seen.

It hurts to be that close and have it snatched away. But he is getting us close.

We are no closer than last season actually further away now , We have been found wanting and have no answers .

Which is why I made the reference to Sir Alex being one game away from the bullet after 2 seasons and then what happened?

Gerrard isn’t Sir Alex he already had a pedigree before moving to Manchester.

Gerrard is an unproven manager who if hadn’t been a great player wouldn’t be getting anywhere near as much slack .

After the disaster he inherited, two seasons were never going to be enough to build a title winning team.

But . . . a Yahoo TIAR will probably be the end of him.

It's harsh, but that's just the way it is.

He's worse off behind Celtic now than he was this time last season. If he doesnt arrest this form, its getting worse and he's got no excuses.

On paper at December 29th we were 2 behind with a game in hand to put us one point ahead.

We are now 12 behind. That's sacking material to anyone not named Gerrard i'm afraid to say.

*applauds*

This, exactly this.

Of course it hurts, I am gutted that we've hit this bad form, but I will continue to support the team because that's what we do, or should do.

Also who would replace Gerrard? Who? In what planet would we attract anyone else half decent? We'd likely get another scottish team manager, maybe English Championship, and we'd gradually slide back into mediocrity and lose the progress we have made.

Has to be said that Celtic have been consistent for most of the season. We are 22 points ahead of Motherwell in 3rd so this shows we have not gone backwards. We must need to get over this bad patch and hope that the other shower hit a bad run. One or 2 results will make all the difference.

Unfortunately stuck with him.

We cant afford a pay off and the risk that a new manager coming in will hit the ground running.

Pity we couldn't afford Van Bronckhorst he would be my choice.

How long do we wait for this transformation he’s had the best part of 2 seasons and apart from Europe we are going backwards?

2 seasons is absolutely nothing given what we're up against. If we were starting each season on an equal footing with Celtic like we were pre-2012 then yes it would be time up. But we're not. And if we keep changing manager every 2 years then they could be on to 60 titles before we win our 55th.

And again this "apart from Europe" thing that everyone keeps saying - as if restoring our credibility in Europe and beating top teams again is just a footnote.

*applauds*

This, exactly this.

Of course it hurts, I am gutted that we've hit this bad form, but I will continue to support the team because that's what we do, or should do.

Also who would replace Gerrard? Who? In what planet would we attract anyone else half decent? We'd likely get another scottish team manager, maybe English Championship, and we'd gradually slide back into mediocrity and lose the progress we have made.

Any half decent manager with the budget we have should be beating the rest on a regular basis.

Before Gerrard came in we had hardly lost a game to Aberdeen in years Kilmarnock the same.

He’s not learning from his mistakes and if they get a Quadruple treble he should get his jitters.

2 seasons is absolutely nothing given what we're up against. If we were starting each season on an equal footing with Celtic like we were pre-2012 then yes it would be time up. But we're not. And if we keep changing manager every 2 years then they could be on to 60 titles before we win our 55th.

I really wanted him to be a success but he’s starting to go backwards and it’s not good enough.

We are better than last season. Not much but we have progressed.
In Europe after Xmas is progress. Winning away to them is progress.
We all want us to progress quicker and we’re all frustrated but we have moved forward.

We have to. Get rid of him and we'll need a new management, medical and possibly video analysis team. SG needs to learn how to win domestically on a regular,consistent basis. This season the beasts have won 6,11 and 8 league matches in a row.
Our record of successive league victories under SG is 1 2 2 4 1 1 3 2 6 (last season) 3 4 5 5 1 1 (this season). An improving record but still poor. We need to win while ahead. 7 games weve dropped points this season, we were ahead 4 times.

He has Wilson at his side now and Hagi is a brilliant start. Summer should be a renewal not a revolution. I want nothing but quality. No more Barker's please. We are improving overall, we are just in a rut at the moment.

There has been improvement of course, but given the investment in the squad and the expensively assembled back room team, it would be pretty difficult for there not to have been progress.

Real progress for me is domestic honours, unfortunately we still look a long way from that.

He’s got next season
Unless he chooses to walk in the summer

he’s simply got to start learning from mistakes
Must be difficult for him personally
Not so long ago when he was part of a team performing like this he could change it all with a kick of his boot but now he’s ultimately helpless once the game starts. Sure he can make changes etc but there’s no guarantee that’ll work.
As I say above
One more season

The number one priority for a club like Rangers is to win the league and in that regard we are not really much further forward than 2 years back despite a ton of money in Scottish football terms being thrown at the team.

I keep hearing that we've improved and yes we have but when you spend £20,000,000 on players plus millions more on extra wages/loan deals etc you really should have seen an improvement no matter who the manager was.

If we get two bad results in the next 7 days then I can't see any way back for the manager to be blunt. Gerrard must now deliver for the fans and board who have backed him massively over the last 18 months. A Scottish cup win, maybe another round in Europe and beating the yahoos at least once more this season might salvage a bit of pride and give us belief in next season but anything less than a cup win is frankly another appalling campaign for the club.

The next 7 days will tell us a lot about the players and manager and what's ahead for the club.

For me Gerrard needs a experienced assistant manager who knows Scottish Football we have been beaten recently by Hearts Kilmarnock and drawing with St Johnstone.We been tactical inept against teams with 10 behind the ball. I can't see his coaching staff turning it around now. We shouldn't had a Rookie manager without a experienced assistant manager to help him .

The op writes about progress.would honestly say we are regressing not progressing since January. We have handed the scum the title again like we did last season.we will more than likely finish second like we did last season .we may or may not win the Scottish cup at this moment we can,t actually say.but if we don,t then that is two years with out a trophy. That isn,t progress.
Europe we are in the last 32 of the Europa league .despite being terrible for most of the first leg.
Progress no matter how you try and dress things up is winning a trophy .not playing well for the first half of the season.then repeating the same mistakes in the second half of the season.at best you could say we are standing still.

Back