Stick with Gerrard

The gaffer is a victim of his own 'success', if I can use that word for the moment, because he's raising expectations all the time and maybe we get a bit carried away with it.

Last year we went from the horror show of Progres to the Group Stages. Improved our league form but stumbled a bit in December, clawed it back by beating them at Ibrox. Expectations were raised again due to this but the squad fell short.

This season we have improved in every aspect of last season. League Form, Cup Competitions and Europe. We beat them in their own midden to top off a brilliant 1st half of the season and rightly so we were all expecting the same after the break. It hasn't happened but even with this last 2 months we're still better off than we were at this point than we were last season and have a points record eerily similar to when we last won the league.

At Xmas there was no chance I thought both us and them would keep up the excellent form of the 1st half of the season but there's no denying that even at the moment, taking into account the last 2 months of bad results, we are still showing a vast improvement.

Unfortunately the form of Celtic has been exceptional all season to be fair to them. Oddly we are having a relatively 'normal' title winning season whereas they seem to be having a season similar to Rodgers' first. Even Walter's title winning team of 2010/2011 wouldn't have been able to keep up with this Celtic team's form.

Them coasting to their 5th trophy in a row since he arrived means questions will be rightly asked about domestic results and performances.

I’m still behind him but he knew what he was signing up for and going from title contenders to also-rans inside of 8 weeks is not OK for a Rangers manager.

They done anything but coast to their cup final win they beat us with an offside goal. Forster had the game of his life that day to prevent us from winning the cup but they're coasting to the league through our own downfall but they're 13 points better off than last season not much we can do about that really.

It isn’t backwards though is it.

We are having an awful 5-6 weeks. But that does not constitute us going backwards.

Backwards is not reaching cup finals. Backwards is not being in contention for the league at any stage of the season.
Backwards is replacing Morelos, Davis, Goldson with the likes of Waghorn, Ball and Kiernan.

Gerrard is driving us forward. It’s the fact that we have inexplicably collapsed after having a superb first half of the season.

I trust the Gaffer because this season has seen us come as close to winning trophies as we’ve had in many years, and he’s got Rangers playing some of the best football I’ve seen.

It hurts to be that close and have it snatched away. But he is getting us close.

I am with you on this. Very well put.

We need to stick with him. I am confident that he will get us through this and continue to improve us.

I will be honest my head is all over the place with it. One minute I’m agreeing with folk on here who say he hasn’t got what it takes and then the next I’m agreeing with the ones saying stick with him he’s made progress.

There is no doubt he has made a huge difference to the club and its infrastructure but the most important thing is the first team on the park.
I think he is under pressure and the tone of the fans(not just on here) is starting to turn against him and the players.

All true but Rangers are Rangers that means winning and regularly winning. Being a gallant loser is not acceptable no matter the circumstances in the LC Final. I guess he'll get to January 2021 if history repeats AGAIN and we have not won the LC he's toast. All very sad but that's reality as I see it.

Willie Waddell won 1 domestic trophy in 3 seasons and had a horrific head to head record against Stein.

Older Bears will be able to correct me, but I think we lost 3 times against them at Ibrox within a fortnight during his tenure.

Not once did we ever put in a credible title challenge under him either.

The board stuck by him though and their reward was a European trophy in his final season.

Could we realistically keep players like Hagi if he's not playing under Gerrard? I think the only reason we improved on the lower league dross is cause the new transfers wanted to play under a liverpool legend.

Which is why I made the reference to Sir Alex being one game away from the bullet after 2 seasons and then what happened?

There’s a reason why people use this one very specific example when looking at this kind of thing, because it’s so rare it’s highly unlikely to be repeated.

Not saying Gerrard is in last chance saloon yet but let’s not pretend that kind of turnaround happens all the time.

To add to my previous point backing Gerrard

the board have also set us back with a few things (not including the SD fiasco)

Lack of backing for Warburton financially, right or wrong but given the finances other managers have had I think he would’ve performed better (not saying he’d have won the league)

The appointment of Caixinha, even seeing up until the summer what a mess he was making they then exacerbated things by giving him around £7m to spend on the likes of Pena & Herrera

Then to compound that there’s the Murty nonsense. Chasing McInness publicly etc

The appointment of Gerrard I imagine was made in part as he will bring interest to the club from sponsors etc
But he was a huge gamble, he’s worked in so many respects, but for the league where we simply cannot string together more than 6 wins on the bounce. Given the huge financial gap we have between us and the rest below us that’s shocking. Our form against the likes of Aberdeen, Kilmarnock etc is woeful at best.
I genuinely think it’s a mentality issue, we don’t believe we are better and that comes from the fact that 90%+ of our team haven’t won a thing in their careers, they come from a place where second is success.

Willie Waddell won 1 domestic trophy in 3 seasons and had a horrific head to head record against Stein.

Older Bears will be able to correct me, but I think we lost 3 times against them at Ibrox within a fortnight during his tenure.

The board stuck by him though and their reward was a European trophy in his final season.
I am guessing you do not expect that? Anyway I do hope I'm wrong if I'd had the chance to choose I'd have taken Lampard over Gerrard but either way I so wanted him to succeed. He has done a lot right but managing Rangers is all about winning and stopping 10. I've posted before my view is that IF they got 9 (now a certainty) they will shoot past 10 by a distance so it's literally do or die next season and I have no expectation that we will stop them.

It isn’t backwards though is it.

We are having an awful 5-6 weeks. But that does not constitute us going backwards.

Backwards is not reaching cup finals. Backwards is not being in contention for the league at any stage of the season.
Backwards is replacing Morelos, Davis, Goldson with the likes of Waghorn, Ball and Kiernan.

Gerrard is driving us forward. It’s the fact that we have inexplicably collapsed after having a superb first half of the season.

I trust the Gaffer because this season has seen us come as close to winning trophies as we’ve had in many years, and he’s got Rangers playing some of the best football I’ve seen.

It hurts to be that close and have it snatched away. But he is getting us close.

Good post. I’m sure there’s plenty like myself who have questioned the gaffer over the last few weeks, however, by no means asking to get rid. We’ve no option than to stick by him and hope he learns from his mistakes.

Pretty obvious he has a problem with the refs, he just can't speak out about it for whatever reason. When Michael Beale was suspended he said "Can't say my true thoughts on it as I'd get in a lot of trouble", when he first took over us 2 years ago he came out speaking about the refs and rangers got fined.

Sorry not listening to complaining about teams with a fraction of our budget having a terrible pitch given the state ours was in Thursday we have no right to complain about anything. If we can't have a half decent pitch what chance do diddy teams like st johnstone have? none.

And if Kamberi gets injured he's out for a few league games aswell, leaving us with no defoe, no kamberi and an out of form morelos. It's the smarter choice to play Kamberi as little as possible and use him as an impact sub until we have Defoe back.

We brought on Kamberi and changed formation again, is that not a plan B? We reverted back to plan A to hold out the game once we got the lead yes, but if we let in that goal with plan B you'd be here complaining that we should've held off when we got the lead as 3 points are more important than scoring more goals.

I wasn’t complaining about the Pitch my comment was we can’t play silky football on it.

It was a game for pumping high balls up to a big target man not trying to play through a potato field .

We are in the league if you can’t see it your the idiot,

All the teams have our number and we are incapable of changing.

These are the teams we are mysteriously more than 20 points ahead of yet they all have our number? We have a pattern of losing points against certain teams in a predictable way. For me that means there is a fix. Is it a beast in midfield, a Gough at centre half, a striker with a high conversion rate? Whatever it is it’s fixable because it’s a consistent pattern. If someone else can fix that immediately whilst still progressing in Europe and regularly beat the scum then give them the job.

But all the teams do not have our number. Look at the league table. They are mostly dogsh*t and we are self destructing. They are not actually doing anything. SJ did nothing except hang around and wait for a couple of goals because we had failed to take advantage of possession and chances.

Gerrard isn’t up against BJK who was a very good manager he’s up against a complete looney who’s running away with the le as we can’t put decent pressure on him .

I would also like to think that if things can go from a near 10/10 in terms of season performance by the end of December, and it falls apart with 5 weeks.

Then why can’t the opposite happen. We have a very very good football team that the manager has built. And despite what some threads say (I’m still awaiting Jimmy Bell getting it in the neck), we have a very exciting and fore thinking coaching staff.

Our infrastructure has been built in a very short space of time from bugger all, and yet if fans take a step back and look at the long term picture, we are more equipped to ride out the troughs and achieve long term success because of what is now in place.

That’s why conversation over whether Docherty or Murphy would make a difference is pointless. That Morelos has lost it. That Tav, Goldson and Alfie should be sold to fund a new squad.

These things are being said out of frustration, and are only viewing the picture over a very short time period.

Getting rid of Gerrard is part of that.
The long term picture as it stands looks a thousand times better with him in it, than a short term picture of uncertainty because he has been given the bullet, and the players want to abandon ship off the back of it.

I am guessing you do not expect that? Anyway I do hope I'm wrong if I'd had the chance to choose I'd have taken Lampard over Gerrard but either way I so wanted him to succeed. He has done a lot right but managing Rangers is all about winning and stopping 10. I've posted before my view is that IF they got 9 (now a certainty) they will shoot past 10 by a distance so it's literally do or die next season and I have no expectation that we will stop them.

I'm not expecting a European trophy this season mate, but patience can be rewarded, as long as you can see progress being made.

Btw, last time the mentally challengeds were going for 10, they won their 9th by a country mile, but we stopped them the following season very comfortably.

Let's not forget that.

If Gerrard is to be a success then he can't look beyond Rangers; I 'd really like to see the end of what job comes after Rangers
Before my time mate, but I'm pretty sure Rangers had a horrific season in 1973/74 under Jock Wallace, but they saw improvement towards the end of the season and they stuck by him.

Next season he stopped Stein and Celtic doing 10 and then went on to win 2 trebles in 3 seasons.

Go back even further in our history and you'll see Scot Symon survived a 7-1 LC Final defeat against the mentally challengeds.

He then went on to win 2 domestic trebles and lead us to 2 European finals.

My point basically is, if we see progress has been made by the end of the season, irrespective of trophies, then he deserves another season to progress further.
I wouldn't mind knowing what kind of pressure Jock Wallace was under that season, and how that time compares to today.

I'm not expecting a European trophy this season mate, but patience can be rewarded, as long as you can see progress being made.

Btw, last time the mentally challengeds were going for 10, they won their 9th by a country mile, but we stopped them the following season very comfortably.

Let's not forget that.
Yip Colin Stein at Easter Road - sadly old enough to have followed the team that season.

Gerrard isn’t up against BJK who was a very good manager he’s up against a complete looney who’s running away with the le as we can’t put decent pressure on him .

Don't forget that looney is eclipsing anything Rodgers achieved in both Europe and the League.

The number one priority for a club like Rangers is to win the league and in that regard we are not really much further forward than 2 years back despite a ton of money in Scottish football terms being thrown at the team.

I keep hearing that we've improved and yes we have but when you spend £20,000,000 on players plus millions more on extra wages/loan deals etc you really should have seen an improvement no matter who the manager was.

If we get two bad results in the next 7 days then I can't see any way back for the manager to be blunt. Gerrard must now deliver for the fans and board who have backed him massively over the last 18 months. A Scottish cup win, maybe another round in Europe and beating the yahoos at least once more this season might salvage a bit of pride and give us belief in next season but anything less than a cup win is frankly another appalling campaign for the club.

The next 7 days will tell us a lot about the players and manager and what's ahead for the club.

What will give me belief is going in a good run against the Diddies. We can match the Tims head to head.

We aren't winning titles with Gerrad as manager.

Maybe a couple of cups and some good European nights but not league titles.

We've watched him make the same mistakes for almost 2 seasons now.. if thats not enough time to learn then what is?

I look at it this way..

When Gerrad came in we were on level 1.

He has taken us to level 6/7.

We need to get back to being at level 10.

I dont think a tactically inept manager is capable of taking us to the level we need to be at.

People are making out as though our fanbase have been impatient with him when in actual fact it's the complete opposite.

He was terrible tactically last year but we gave him the benifet of the doubt and hoped he learned.. we're now on the verge of 2 trophless seasons with a manager who's still making those same mistakes.

If we go into next season with Gerrard we've gift wrapped them another league title.

No thanks hes a rookie and its showing. We stick with him and we win nothing its as simple as that.
Paul le guen wasn’t a rookie,Lennon won three titles as a rookie it’s got ride all to do with him being a rookie he will be here for at least another season and I will support him until he’s removed

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion of course m, but I think its crazy to want to change managers every year or 2.
We are trying to build a team that will win the league and have the foundation to compete every year.
End the 10 in a row obsession and give someone tye time needed.
We've wasted years and millions by changing manager and the pedro disaster.
Gerrard has a lot to learn but stevie wonder can see we are on the right track.
If you cant see it then go watch the 4-0 semi final and the 5-0 game that win Celtic the league against and then tell me what kind of job You think Gerrard has done.

If Gerrard is to be a success then he can't look beyond Rangers; I 'd really like to see the end of what job comes after Rangers
I wouldn't mind knowing what kind of pressure Jock Wallace was under that season, and how that time compares to today.

I wasn't around mate, but I do enjoy reading up on the history of our club.

One thing's for sure, there were no tainted titles, as we made 2 European finals, winning 1, during their 9.

A lot of older Bears I've spoken to about it all say we should've won at least 2 of the 9, but also in other years we were miles behind when we shouldn't have been.

Particularly 1971/72, when won the ECWC and the teams we beat.

We weren't at the races that season in the league.

We aren't winning titles with Gerrad as manager.

Maybe a couple of cups and some good European nights but not league titles.

We've watched him make the same mistakes for almost 2 seasons now.. if thats not enough time to learn then what is?

I look at it this way..

When Gerrad came in we were on level 1.

He has taken us to level 6/7.

We need to get back to being at level 10.

I dont think a tactically inept manager is capable of taking us to the level we need to be at.

People are making out as though our fanbase have been impatient with him when in actual fact it's the complete opposite.

He was terrible tactically last year but we gave him the benifet of the doubt and hoped he learned.. we're now on the verge of 2 trophless seasons with a manager who's still making those same mistakes.

If we go into next season with Gerrard we've gift wrapped them another league title.
Wh can take us to level 10 realistically?
A new manager comes in it's back to level 1, he will want a new team etc.
It would be crazy to change manager let alone if we could even afford it.
It would set us back another few years imo.

every time i watch sky sports Gerrard is on a clip, he is still a huge name, we got Kent because of him, we got Defoe because of him, he will get there we just need time and money.

Something is wrong with our warm weather training, that is 2 seasons in a row our form has gone over the edge of a cliff after it.

Wh can take us to level 10 realistically?
A new manager comes in it's back to level 1, he will want a new team etc.
It would be crazy to change manager let alone if we could even afford it.
It would set us back another few years imo.

That's nonsense.

A new manager has a good squad of players to work with and a good base to build from.

The players have been poor but they are being sent out to fail by a manager who has 1 default formation that teams have sussed out.

I'd approach GVB.. good experience with Feyenoord and won a league title against a very good Ajax side.

That's nonsense.

A new manager has a good squad of players to work with and a good base to build from.

The players have been poor but they are being sent out to fail by a manager who has 1 default formation that teams have sussed out.

I'd approach GVB.. good experience with Feyenoord and won a league title against a very good Ajax side.
Jeez I’m away to watch the snaw falling

There is a fine dividing line between success and failure (not the abject failure some on here would have you believe)

99 times out of a 101 the ball would have went elsewhere when Katic tackled the St J player at the first goal. WE then see a clearance go straight to May and he scores. Several times when the ball broke off one of their players in the box it didn't go to one of our players.

That's nonsense.

No chance GVB will come here just now. Let's be real

2 seasons is absolutely nothing given what we're up against. If we were starting each season on an equal footing with Celtic like we were pre-2012 then yes it would be time up. But we're not. And if we keep changing manager every 2 years then they could be on to 60 titles before we win our 55th.

And again this "apart from Europe" thing that everyone keeps saying - as if restoring our credibility in Europe and beating top teams again is just a footnote.

Exactly. Europe is a massive deal financial wise. That will be the forefront of the boards mind. Winning the League Cup or winning the Scottish Cup gets you pretty much %^*& all. What we have done in Europe is much more important to the club at this moment.

Gerrard isn’t Sir Alex he already had a pedigree before moving to Manchester.

Gerrard is an unproven manager who if hadn’t been a great player wouldn’t be getting anywhere near as much slack .
My point is that Man U were ready to pap Sir Alex for having 2 trophyless years. I’m not comparing Gerrards experience to Sir Alex, I’m highlighting the fact that being an experienced manager at a massive club and having the same record had people wanting his head. Gerrard has inherited a lot worse than Sir Alex did.

No chance GVB will come here just now. Let's be real

Bullshit.

We are a huge football club with guaranteed European football and GVB knows that.

We have a squad with international footballers in it and others who are more than good enough for this league.

Any manager who has a but about them would look at our squad and fancy being the man to win number 55 and stop their dominance.

Bullshit.

We are a huge football club with guaranteed European football and GVB knows that.

We have a squad with international footballers in it and others who are more than good enough for this league.

Any manager who has a but about them would look at our squad and fancy being the man to win number 55 and stop their dominance.

He's in China earning mega millions. We would have to buy him out his contract. Then give him money to spend on players. It's not going to happen. We don't have the dough to do it

Don't forget that looney is eclipsing anything Rodgers achieved in both Europe and the League.

Don’t agree with that he’s done ok against the dross we should be destroying,

He was kicked out the champions league on his arse and had a much easier path and games in the UEFA than we have had.

He was sacked from Bolton and Hivs he’s no great shakes.

SG is here until his contract is finished at least.(i want him to stay longer)
it is a slow process , he is a new young manager and is learning (not fast enough for some on here) but in my opinion he will lead us to the league next season

My point is that Man U were ready to pap Sir Alex for having 2 trophyless years. I’m not comparing Gerrards experience to Sir Alex, I’m highlighting the fact that being an experienced manager at a massive club and having the same record had people wanting his head. Gerrard has inherited a lot worse than Sir Alex did.

Sir Alex was in a good league we can’t even beat a team with a wage cap of a couple of grand a week .

SG is here until his contract is finished at least.(i want him to stay longer)
it is a slow process , he is a new young manager and is learning (not fast enough for some on here) but in my opinion he will lead us to the league next season

You seriously think if we win nothing this season and are behind the way we are in January next season he’s still going to be here ?

Back