Club Statement regard Derek McInness - Murty in charge until end of the year

It might be late and I might be tired but I think many are reading too much into our statement. Read it again and disect each component and ask what it is your being told. My take on this statement....

1st paragraph - no issue, underlining the importance of getting it right.

2nd paragraph - advising they felt there was no 'applicant' that met their requirements. None of us know who actually applied so we need to take it on trust they never saw a suitably strong applicant**. They advise they then needed to consider a manager in a job under contract and that required permission to talk to the person of interest.

Paragraph 3 - just underlines the mentality and strength needed in the role and why interview and discussion is an absolute key part of the process.

Paragraph 4 - We asked for permission to speak to McInnes after the Aberdeen games in order to interview and assess his suitability (his suitability for us and our suitability for him. Aberdeen declined so neither party had this opportunity.
Same paragraph then alludes to internal Aberdeen discussion about the opportunity. An opportunity that (in their words) was not right at this point in his career (too early for him, not the right time, whatever...they said he wasn't sure and therefore decided not to take things any further (other than to clarify their position)
I only see us align with Aberdeens here and say we understand and endorse their / his position. We underline it's a massive job and one that requires 100% commitment and 100% candidate assurance of readiness. Aberdeen are the ones staying "at this point in his career (meaning he's not ready and he'd feel better staying at Aberdeen). We are saying if their is doubt in his mind - it's absolutely right that he no longer be considered.

Paragraph 5 - is what it is, we keep going with Murty until we find the right man. We can't appoint someone we don't think is right so I'm OK with keeping going for now with Murty (as are the board)

So, I don't read it at all like those looking to snipe at the board. Now am I unhappy they don't seem to have someone else? Of course, but they can't pull the right man out their Arse if nobody has applied. They need to go identify and go talk to the next man they feel could be right. They will again need permission to talk to him to assess the candidate.They will need to drop this shit about Scottish experience** though. It's to restrictive and limits the talent pool.

We endorse that position because moving to a massive club like Rangers is a big step with concomitant risk

That didn't make you wince event a little?

Who knows anymore, the costs of them are extremely high, wages stagnant for 7 years and a very working class support follow our team.
Replica tops aren’t bought in the same numbers anymore and even King said it at AGM.

It will not make a dent in the gap between us and them.
.....but you said our retail sales would be worth around £4 million per year, so then why don't you know how many replica tops we would sell?
Here's another one for you...how many replica tops do Celtic sell per year?

Didn't realise we were playing Follow Follow charades?
We're not?

holding up our turnover as a trophy when the business operations of our club still require us to have soft loans (which further dilute our shareholding) - i'm not the one doing charades.

.....but you said our retail sales would be worth around £4 million per year, so then why don't you know how many replica tops we would sell?
Here's another one for you...how many replica tops do Celtic sell per year?

No I said at our peak in the middle of 9 in a row Murray came out and said that is what we made from Merch sales.
When we made that long term deal with JJB we got 2 or 3 mill per season and I think if sales went above a base figure we would get more. I don’t think we ever did.
No matter what the exact number of jerseys and other merch we sell based on previous years when far more successful and with the decline in the market I wouldn’t expect the club to make much more than 3 to 4 mill.

We're not?

holding up our turnover as a trophy when the business operations of our club still require us to have soft loans (which further dilute our shareholding) - i'm not the one doing charades.
Not a trophy but a fact and a very encouraging fact at that...do you think there is something wrong with £22.6 million turnover with a £6million loss of which £3 million was to buyout Sports Direct retail deal? Soft loans are exactly that they are not usually meant for repayment but usually in equity, this is a very normal process for a business thats very much in recovery mode.

No I said at our peak in the middle of 9 in a row Murray came out and said that is what we made from Merch sales.
When we made that long term deal with JJB we got 2 or 3 mill per season and I think if sales went above a base figure we would get more. I don’t think we ever did.
No matter what the exact number of jerseys and other merch we sell based on previous years when far more successful and with the decline in the market I wouldn’t expect the club to make much more than 3 to 4 mill.
So £3-£4mill in retail sales, how much of that do you believe will be replica shirts?

Not a trophy but a fact and a very encouraging fact at that...do you think there is something wrong with £22.6 million turnover with a £6million loss of which £3 million was to buyout Sports Direct retail deal? Soft loans are exactly that they are not usually meant for repayment but usually in equity, this is a very normal process for a business thats very much in recovery mode.

How can that business recover if you are constantly failing in the most crucial area, the pitch?
The constantly losing to Celtic in the league means eventually lower crowds and less turnover.

They don’t have the financial clout to compete with Celtic and are constantly making errors when it comes to football related decisions making matters worse and the gap bigger.

'...it would be best for him to remain in his current post. We endorse that position because moving to a massive club like Rangers is a big step with concomitant risk. We continue to consider candidates but will only appoint someone in whom we have full confidence and who feels he is ready for the job.'

Ouch.....

It was an assessment in terms of his motivation and suitability for the job...but never a guarantee the job was his just for the asking....it never was a clear cut job offer.

A not so thinly veiled attack upon Mc Innes and his ability and drive to take a big step upwards from provinciality .

Last edited:
So £3-£4mill in retail sales, how much of that do you believe will be replica shirts?

1 million, 50k, 4 squillion, does it fucking matter , what is important is how much comes into the club and based on previous years we could probably expect anywhere between 2 to 4 million.
It’s better than nothing but it isn’t enough to close the gap with the scum when they get access to Europe and 15m per season.

How can that business recover if you are constantly failing in the most crucial area, the pitch?
The constantly losing to Celtic in the league means eventually lower crowds and less turnover.

They don’t have the financial clout to compete with Celtic and are constantly making errors when it comes to football related decisions making matters worse and the gap bigger.
Right mate your a tim.... you have mentioned Sellic now 14 times in the past 10 posts! So what do you make of how shite Celtic are, Anderlect that global football team.

1 million, 50k, 4 squillion, does it fucking matter , what is important is how much comes into the club and based on previous years we could probably expect anywhere between 2 to 4 million.
It’s better than nothing but it isn’t enough to close the gap with the scum when they get access to Europe and 15m per season.
Up yer hole mate, yer a timposter!

'...it would be best for him to remain in his current post. We endorse that position because moving to a massive club like Rangers is a big step with concomitant risk. We continue to consider candidates but will only appoint someone in whom we have full confidence and who feels he is ready for the job.'

Ouch.....

It was an assessment in terms of his motivation and suitability for the job...but never a guarantee the job was his just for the asking.

A not so thinly veiled attack upon Mc Innes and his ability and drive to take a big step upwards from provinciality .
But this was who they wanted as manager after a 6 week selection process.

Mccinnes doesn’t come out of this in a bad light - our board does

That statement should never have been made public - it’s reeks of sour grapes and it’s a fucking embarrassment.

Right mate your a tim.... you have mentioned Sellic now 14 times in the past 10 posts! So what do you make of how shite Celtic are, Anderlect that global football team.

You called another poster on here that has posted for over 10 years a tim earlier today and have done so again with me. I won’t lose the rag with you as I promised admin I would behave.
However I thought calling posters Tims was always a banning offence on follow follow.

I didn’t want McInnes but the fact that the board did and yet couldn’t deliver him is a massive embarrassment.

King blundered when he said there was no outstanding candidate then thought he could still go and snare McInnes after making that comment.

Hard to know exactly what’s went through McInnes’s mind though. Either he doesn’t fancy his chances because he doesn’t trust this board, or much like when he goes into a big game with Aberdeen, he’s shat it.

You called another poster on here that has posted for over 10 years a tim earlier today and have done so again with me. I won’t lose the rag with you as I promised admin I would behave.
However I thought calling posters Tims was always a banning offence on follow follow.
Are you a Celtic supporter??? I simply don't believe your a Rangers supporter mate, playing the victim is often used when people feel there being rumbled.

I didn’t want McInnes but the fact that the board did and yet couldn’t deliver him is a massive embarrassment.

King blundered when he said there was no outstanding candidate then thought he could still go and snare McInnes after making that comment.

Hard to know exactly what’s went through McInnes’s mind though. Either he doesn’t fancy his chances because he doesn’t trust this board, or much like when he goes into a big game with Aberdeen, he’s shat it.

Probably a bit of both Jacrispy.

The fortunate thing for us is that the financial gap doesn't matter so much in the SPL. No player worth more than £4mill is ever coming here. And virtually no player worth more than £2mill is either. Celtic could have 4 squillion and they still wouldn't get Ronaldo.

There's also a limit to how many players you can have on the pitch. So Celtic remain very catchable so long as we buy at least as well as they do for a few seasons. Their advantage is strength in depth which can be closed over time. And a marginal advantage in being able to use eurooe to attract bigger names but that's not such a massive draw when they get consistently papped. Celtic are basically scouring the championship and the youths or near misses of the EPL and Europe. Same as us.

For all the justified criticism, Caixina's recruitment was decent and the last 2 games show we have a much better squad now than the best of the rest which is a huge step up from last year.

The most damaging thing about the manager farce is the possibility of costing us an effective transfer window when we should be closing the gap.

Scarred by his experience in Bristol....he had to really convince Rangers he was the right man for the job ...it was never a simple nod of the head.

Are you a Celtic supporter??? I simply don't believe your a Rangers supporter mate, playing the victim is often used when people feel there being rumbled.

Supported Rangers all my life, first game in 1973, sit in Sandy Jardine stand while it looks as though your maybe in South Africa going by your name.
Posted on FF for donkeys years and because people disagree with you, you are calling them Tims.
You did it earlier in the thread with another long term poster and did so again.
Now please grow up.

Poster Ian says,

'But this was who they wanted as manager after a 6 week selection process.'

oh...really....

That was not the case at all
.....maybe they were puzzled and perplexed that he did not actually apply for the vacancy and wanted to assess him and his suitability and actual motivation and desire for the much bigger job.

The club had to get this appontment right and that requires due dilligence and assessment.

Last edited:
The fortunate thing for us is that the financial gap doesn't matter so much in the SPL. No player worth more than £4mill is ever coming here. And virtually no player worth more than £2mill is either. Celtic could have 4 squillion and they still wouldn't get Ronaldo.

There's also a limit to how many players you can have on the pitch. So Celtic remain very catchable so long as we buy at least as well as they do for a few seasons. Their advantage is strength in depth which can be closed over time. And a marginal advantage in being able to use eurooe to attract bigger names but that's not such a massive draw when they get consistently papped. Celtic are basically scouring the championship and the youths or near misses of the EPL and Europe. Same as us.

For all the justified criticism, Caixina's recruitment was decent and the last 2 games show we have a much better squad now than the best of the rest which is a huge step up from last year.

The most damaging thing about the manager farce is the possibility of costing us an effective transfer window when we should be closing the gap.

I totally agree with most of what you say apart from Pedro’s signings, they are frustratingly inconsistent. To do what you said above that you need a good manager.
There lies the problem.

Supported Rangers all my life, first game in 1973, sit in Sandy Jardine stand while it looks as though your maybe in South Africa going by your name.
Posted on FF for donkeys years and because people disagree with you, you are calling them Tims.
You did it earlier in the thread with another long term poster and did so again.
Now please grow up.
Good for you, glad to hear your undying love for the same club as me. Don't have an issue with disagreement - its a forum after all, but like many fans I don't like people pretending to be something there not. I didn't call anybody a Tim earlier today - your making things up!
Also you never did tell me how many replica tops you think Rangers would sell each season?

The Board need to take the stick for this shambles. Total incompetence and is now beyond a joke.

Ive been wary of blaming the baord but clear to me now some changes need made. They have the right intentions and i can never ever thank or repay them enough for what they did to save this club however if we are to move back into the realms of ultra-professionalism and competence, we need a spring cleaning job done.

All the best to Murty who is an absolute credit to this club, and i pray he manages to pull off some big results this month.

There was no clear cut outstanding candidate that is obvious.

Rangers made an approach to his club to be allowed to speak to him to assess his suitability.

He chose not to submit himself to that examination.

I think your on the right track, discussions have obviously taken place - I am guessing here but sounds like McIness hinted yes very interested but nothing happens until after double header, Gers think well lets wait as we want him - and only McInnes can answer this - I dont want it now ?????

what are we meant to say - sorry we tried ?? No call them out if were messed around, which is what the statement actually says ......

best news on all of this - Docherty is no where near our club !!!!!
Totally agree with everything you say mate.
I think we've been strung along by McInnes until after double header, after which he's changed his mind.
I would have supported him if he came but am glad him and his poet mate are not coming.
Murty in charge until new year is not big problem. Only 3 weeks away and gives us chance to look elsewhere.
It's not been well handled by board , but far from disaster it's being made out by closet poets on here.
Onward and upwards for the mighty Glasgow Rangers.

just woke up here to read this, i thought i knew big words but "concomitant" is a new one to me. Anyway the statement is factual and tells it like it is. However, whether there was any need to besmirch the character of McInnes at the same time is debateable. One thing is very clear now that McInnes was never the right man, he does not have the strength for the job and he knew it too. McInnes could have saved us all the bother and shot down the media speculation sometime ago. Either way the board got this very wrong....again.

There was no clear cut outstanding candidate that is obvious.

Rangers made an approach to his club to be allowed to speak to him to assess his suitability.

He chose not to submit himself to that examination.

Dress that up whatever way you want. The board wanted him and he refused to speak to us. It's an embarrassment.

the way some people on here are carrying on. you would think it was Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho who turn us down. not Derek bloody McInnes i did not think he was the man for the job. every board makes a balls up every now and again but it is not a disaster. in a real disaster people lose their life's and nobody is going to die because McInnes is not coming to rangers. not that long ago rangers football club was nearly gone and we are on the long road back. so i do not give a shit if people are laughing at us because of is. because we always get the last laugh.

the way some people on here are carrying on. you would think it was Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho who turn us down. not Derek bloody McInnes i did not think he was the man for the job. every board makes a balls up every now and again but it is not a disaster. in a real disaster people lose their life's and nobody is going to die because McInnes is not coming to rangers. not that long ago rangers football club was nearly gone and we are on the long road back. so i do not give a shit if people are laughing at us because of is. because we always get the last laugh.

It's worse because it's Derek McInnes turned us down. If Pep turned us down, it is expected. Not the manager of Aberdeen. It's a complete embarrassment.

No idea if his bottle crashed at last minute.

No idea if he used the situation to his advantage to get Milne to offer them both better deals.

Heard plenty about Tony Docherty on here ranging from bitter Celtic supporter to bitter republican, don’t know anything about him personally so it’s hearsay for me.

DM doesn’t seem to be anything like the guy I remember who spent his Sunday’s in the District Bar being one of the boys, a solid wee bluenose who played beside great Rangers players, he was the Ryan Jack of his day.

Never thought he would knock back the chance to manage us but hey ho won’t lose any sleep over it.

Don’t remember him bringing Tony Doc into the District, but do remember him bevvying with Stevie Doc, no relation.

"Concomitant" is pretty standard language I would say. We're not in Reese-Moggs territory here, Shirley? Still an embarrassing, obviously spurned statement all the same. But you know what, I don't actually give a feck. Sub-grid scale. I have faith in GM; he's a good man, and true. He will grow into the job and I believe he will do us proud.

Serious question, what would we have found out about McInnes in an interview that we didn't know about him already?

Serious question, what would we have found out about McInnes in an interview that we didn't know about him already?

McInnes has never been employed by us in any other capacity other than as a player. I would imagine that we would have found out quite a lot.

For me it seems like he was torn and that's ok. I have worked in my position for 10 years, I have been offered jobs elsewhere that on paper look much better but there is something in my gut that has had me thinking this could be a mistake. So I have stayed put.

Having thought this over and calmed down I'm convinced that it's us (supporters) that have it wrong. Derek McInnes is a Derek McInnes supporter, all Managers and pro players are. They will absolutely do what is best for themselves and those closest to them.

We as supporters have a blind loyalty to our club.....we wouldn't publically knock them, we would walk over broken glass to work for them. Our ex players/managers may claim to be Rangers supporters but they aren't like us. They're in it for themselves and themselves alone. If the club benefits then it's a bonus.

McInnes has never been employed by us in any other capacity other than as a player. I would imagine that we would have found out quite a lot.

For me it seems like he was torn and that's ok. I have worked in my position for 10 years, I have been offered jobs elsewhere that on paper look much better but there is something in my gut that has had me thinking this could be a mistake. So I have stayed put.

Having thought this over and calmed down I'm convinced that it's us (supporters) that have it wrong. Derek McInnes is a Derek McInnes supporter, all Managers and pro players are. They will absolutely do what is best for themselves and those closest to them.

We as supporters have a blind loyalty to our club.....we wouldn't publically knock them, we would walk over broken glass to work for them. Our ex players/managers may claim to be Rangers supporters but they aren't like us. They're in it for themselves and themselves alone. If the club benefits then it's a bonus.
I agree with what you say. However, looking further, it was not a guaranteed offer for McInnes. He would have had to resign to get the chance to speak to us with no guarantee of the job at the end. That is why I think he stayed put. If we had shown our commitment to him by offering the compensation Aberdeen wanted, it might have been different. I don't think we were 100% sure of him ourselves.

I agree with what you say. However, looking further, it was not a guaranteed offer for McInnes. He would have had to resign to get the chance to speak to us with no guarantee of the job at the end. That is why I think he stayed put. If we had shown our commitment to him by offering the compensation Aberdeen wanted, it might have been different. I don't think we were 100% sure of him ourselves.

I think you're 100% right and while I'm utterly pissed off at how long this has taken I also think the board have made to correct decision here. We wanted to speak with Derek and his staff, we were refused permission and therefore he cant be considered.

Now had we offered compensation without first interviewing him and his tim #2 as to their suitability and he failed some of our supporters would be foaming at the mouth regarding the board not having done their due diligence.

McInnes' statement has to read as if he's happy to stay and put this to bed because quite simply if he doesn't then they'll bin him or he'd need to resign. He'd have to do that not knowing if he was guaranteed to become Rangers manager as we would still need to pay compo, something we may deem as being a bad business decision.

That statement is embarrassing, but glad McInnes isn't coming.

Would Barry Ferguson take the gig until next summer?

Another embarrassing “statement” written by Traynor, reads like a 13 year old boy who’s been knocked back.

Seriously, that is amateur stuff. Cheap shots at DM and Aberdeen.

Traynor is woefully below our standard, f*cking embarrassed reading that.

Murty till the end of the year? Shambolic.

McInnes was never the man for the job for reasons i have went into several times but the bottom line is the timing of the boards decisions.
Every football club of any note have a manager primed and ready to step into the breach, as the previous one gets shuffled of stage left.
Whatever has went on since the board have taken control on the football side has to be questioned,there is severe incompetence constantly destabilising us somewhere.

Someone is telling porky pies in all of this. Aberdeens statement says how McInnes himself made a point about how it was such a big deal to be considered for the rangers job and needed time.

We have said in our statement that we didn' even get to speak to him and the first our board heard after their approach was their statement.

I'm not buying that someone who needed 2 days away from training etc to think about it, who supported our club and attended games in the copland road, made his decision purely by speaking to his own club and never to rangers. That's mental

I don't think the board are doing anything deliberately wrong coz it may be the case that no one wants the job unless you are Billy Davies. Its ok wanting FDB or Gio but at the moment taking the Rangers job could get you the sack within a year coz the mhanks are so far ahead of us

It's worse because it's Derek McInnes turned us down. If Pep turned us down, it is expected. Not the manager of Aberdeen. It's a complete embarrassment.

We've been turned down in the past by the manager of both Aberdeen and Dundee United.

Ferguson and McLean.

Back