MLS Thread

Cambuslang Bear

Opening weekend of the MLS. The standard is getting better year by year. The games are all finished bar one. Minnesota United currently leading Portland Timbers 3-1. The best side of the opening weekend is probably Los Angeles FC. Usually loads of goals and the timing of the fixtures is ideal for the Nightshift Loyal or any insomniacs.

Admin please delete if there is already a thread on this.

Last edited:
8xnztrc.png

Final whistle just blew in the last game. Finished 3-1 to Minnesota United. Portland have a couple of good players but looked a shadow of last year's side.

The USA has the resources and financial clout to have the best league in the world if they want it.

The MLS and it's member clubs will try it's hardest to stop that from happening by keeping promotion/relegation from happening

The USA has the resources and financial clout to have the best league in the world if they want it.

The MLS and it's member clubs will try it's hardest to stop that from happening by keeping promotion/relegation from happening

They'll never subscribe to the pro/rel model given the ever increasing Franchise/expansion fee's that have been paid just to get a seat at the table within MLS

For anyone who's interested, orange county start their season on Friday. Seemingly have high hopes in the second tier. Hopefully shiels, finlayson and palmer do well

I haven’t really watched much in the way of MLS to be honest, but my 2 closest teams are inter Miami (2hr drive) and Orlando city(3 hr drive) so I figure my local team are Miami

A league I’ve tried to get interested in but the kick off times don’t suit my early bed routine :D

Josef Martinez torn his ACL, that’s a big miss for Atlanta.

Was it on their plastic pitch? They have a pretty spectacular stadium but the plastic surface ruins it for me. I know they share with the Falcons so that is probably the reason for the surface.

Interested to see Inter Miami playing again.

It's live on Freesports at 8.30pm tonight.

I thought Inter Miami were a shambles in the first half of their game last week. As the game went on you could see them ganining more confidence. But you would expect that from and an expansion team. Hope they make their mark this year.

Having just tried to manage in the MLS for the first time in Football Manager 2020....I think if they want to compete with the European leagues they'd need a European model. What struck me about 'managing' an MLS club was how completely baffling the contracts system was.

Having just tried to manage in the MLS for the first time in Football Manager 2020....I think if they want to compete with the European leagues they'd need a European model. What struck me about 'managing' an MLS club was how completely baffling the contracts system was.

Care to elaborate?

I thought Inter Miami were a shambles in the first half of their game last week. As the game went on you could see them ganining more confidence. But you would expect that from and an expansion team. Hope they make their mark this year.

I only saw a bit of them, think it was quite late UK time. I'd be worried for them if Lewis Morgan is one of their better players. The young Argentine lad looks like he has lot of potential in FM though. The rest of their players aren't really any I've heard of.

Care to elaborate?

It seems we're having two conversations concurrently here...

Ok, I accept I approached the job naively, but still... I sign a few decent south american players, then I find when I have to register the squad at the start of the season that, as I'm over the wage cap, I have to 'waive' some decent first teamers. However it's not apparent to me why some of them count towards the cap and others don't. Nor what other statuses like "generation addidas players" are.

Furthermore, I don't understand the "buying down" the salary concept. On some players you can do so, on others the bar won't move to the left (unless you play FM this probably means nothing).

I don't understand why teams constantly ask for trades without offering anything in return. Why would I accept that?

They play the Galaxy on the 14th. I’m gonna be down there. I might take the game in if it fits.

Hope Toronto do well, we have relatives over in Ontario who have season tickets.

Been to 3 games there, really enjoyed them.

Back